What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Broncos RB. (1 Viewer)

Eminence

Footballguy
What's the play here? Is this still McGahee's job? I don't think it would be wise to have a Rookie pasa blocking all season. Moreno? Hillman is an afterthought, imo.

Unless he's bulked up.

What's the play here? Is this still McGahee's job? I don't think it would be wise to have a Rookie pasa blocking all season. Moreno? Hillman is an afterthought, imo.Unless he's bulked up.
McGahee and Moreno are competing for one roster spot. It'll be a huge shock if both make the team, since neither plays special teams. My money's on Moreno, because he's younger and cheaper.

Hillman and Ball are both locks for the roster, and Jacob Hester would probably be my guess for the 4th RB spot on the team. Whoever the 4th RB winds up being (Hester or Lance Ball, probably), he's not going to be a factor in the running game. It's strictly going to be Montee Ball, Ronnie Hillman, and whoever wins the Moreno/McGahee battle. I think the coaching staff views Hillman as a CoP, but Cecil says he's been hearing a lot of praise for him from the coaching staff. He's bulked up a little bit- mostly in the upper body- but his biggest advantage will just be getting another offseason in the conditioning program. Hillman was all the way down to 180 pounds by the end of last season, which isn't extremely uncommon for rookies (Portis dropped down into the 180s as a rookie, too). As he builds more of an NFL body, the weight will stick better during the season.

If I were betting today, I'd bet on Montee Ball leading the Broncos in carries. It's not a lock, but my reading of the tea leaves suggests he's the leader in the clubhouse. Second choice would probably be Moreno, then Hillman, then McGahee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consensus seems to be that McGahee will be cut. I originally thought they would start Moreno at the beginning of the year, until Ball was seasoned, but Moreno has been hurt. I also think that Peyton works well with rookie rbs who are eager to learn. Interesting situation because of the value of the starting Broncos rb in 2012.

Loved Ball at Wisconsin (Badger fan here) ... super smart dude that excelled in a similar blocking scheme.

Calling my shot now ... I think he's going to shock the world with mid/low RB2 numbers and be in the discussion for offensive rookie of the year (due in large part to the guy behind center and the talent around him on offense). There's not a better rookie fantasy play out there this year. I plan on targeting him around the 6th round in drafts, and I think he'll easily be there. Unless he gets hyped up you might be able to get him in 7th-10th. PFF has him around RB42, which I think is too low.

230 carries / 1050 yards / 30 rec / 250 yards ~8 total TDs

Loved Ball at Wisconsin (Badger fan here) ... super smart dude that excelled in a similar blocking scheme.

Calling my shot now ... I think he's going to shock the world with mid/low RB2 numbers and be in the discussion for offensive rookie of the year (due in large part to the guy behind center and the talent around him on offense). There's not a better rookie fantasy play out there this year. I plan on targeting him around the 6th round in drafts, and I think he'll easily be there. Unless he gets hyped up you might be able to get him in 7th-10th. PFF has him around RB42, which I think is too low.

He's already pretty hyped up as it is and I don't think those kind of numbers would shock anyone really. I still think Le'Veon Bell is a better rookie fantasy play this year though.

He's already pretty hyped up as it is and I don't think those kind of numbers would shock anyone really. I still think Le'Veon Bell is a better rookie fantasy play this year though.
I'm very high on Bell, I just don't know if the Steelers know wtf they're doing when it comes to running the ball. The continual 'run up the middle, get stuffed, run up the middle, get stuffed, run up the middle' stuff was ridonkulous at times.

FYI, you might want to click or find the Montee Ball thread. In all seriousness despite John Fox's track record I am willing to make an exception because I believe Elway is trying desperately to recreate what he knows to win championships. It didn't take long for him to go out and find someone to play his role at QB in Peyton Manning, perhaps the only person who could fill those shoes. Ball has been walked around town by Manning who is treating him like a kid brother right now and Manning is on record as saying that Ball "will not be brought along slowly." Now you can say that's just coach speak but that would be unwise as I haven't seen Manning talk up a rookie like this before. I expect Ball to see a lot of work between the 20s. By Week 6 he will be the clear starter in Denver. He is being taught pass protection personally by Manning thru reading defenses. Ball may not be the most gifted athlete ever but he's smart and they are loading him up with a lot more than probably any other rookie right now including Bernard in Cinci.

Do as you like but the smart money right now is on Ball. By the 2nd or 3rd week of camp his stock could rise a lot. Good Luck

Those numbers should be shocking... 1300 yards for a rookie is no cake-walk, especially for a pass-first team. And the fact that he'll likely not be full-time for the first 4-5 games as he is adjusting to the speed of the pro game. McGahee didn't hit that many total yards on a run-first team with Tebow at the helm back in 2011.

I think the bulk of those stats will be in the last ten games of the year, so on a PPG basis he is going to be a very good performer for whoever gets him. In the leagues that I don't draft him, I will likely try to trade for him after he has a couple of middling yardage weeks to start the year.

McGahee is going to be cut. Likely there will be an open line of communication to bring him back if Ball falls on his face. That kind of stuff happens a lot with veterans. The Pats cut Stallworth half a dozen times but never moved stuff from his locker. And I don't see any other team jumping to sign McGahee.

When it counts during the fantasy playoff run, it will be Moreno.

I'm not going to get into a hash-slinging contest or crank out a disertation about it but, to me, its pretty clear:

You've got a team completely in win-now mode with a small window.

You've got a rookie Rb who is playing for a coach who has never, ever put as much trust into a rookie RB as what is being said. Saying in May is one thing; seeing the history of what he has always done in September-December is another. Just like people say every day around here that the leopard Andy Reid won't change his spots in KC, it won't happen with Fox either.

If people leave out their biases, they will accept the fact that a great deal of the hype around Ball is largely influenced by this particular landing spot, McGahee being older, Moreno being historically nicked up. He is being overhyped.

Moreno excels (and showed it down the stretch last season) at what Manning wants and needs.

When the rubber hits the road and the season grinds out, Moreno will be the guy you want at the end of the year, just like last year.

meyerj31 said:
RushHour said:
meyerj31 said:

Those numbers should be shocking... 1300 yards for a rookie is no cake-walk, especially for a pass-first team. And the fact that he'll likely not be full-time for the first 4-5 games as he is adjusting to the speed of the pro game. McGahee didn't hit that many total yards on a run-first team with Tebow at the helm back in 2011.

I think the bulk of those stats will be in the last ten games of the year, so on a PPG basis he is going to be a very good performer for whoever gets him. In the leagues that I don't draft him, I will likely try to trade for him after he has a couple of middling yardage weeks to start the year.

McGahee is going to be cut. Likely there will be an open line of communication to bring him back if Ball falls on his face. That kind of stuff happens a lot with veterans. The Pats cut Stallworth half a dozen times but never moved stuff from his locker. And I don't see any other team jumping to sign McGahee.
Just thought it was worth mentioning that Denver ranked #3 in the NFL in RB rushes with 449. I haven't made my mind up on this one, so I can't contribute much else. I'm in the same vein of thought as shutout - Moreno appears to be a perfect fit for this offense. It's hard to discern what is worth listening to with all the offseason fluff. Am I going to kick myself for not listening or am I going to kick myself for believing it? Given Fox's history, Moreno's hands and pass blocking, and the bust rate for second round rookie RBs, the prudent move would be to spend that 6th round pick elsewhere and gamble a 14th on Moreno.

Also, why did this thread ever get started? There is a completely empty spotlight for this exact topic: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=682257

Willis McGahee expects to be Broncos' Week 1 starter

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

In lockstep with his normal routine, Denver Broncos running back Willis McGahee was on hand for mandatory minicamp Tuesday after skipping voluntary organized team activities earlier this offseason.

There is one major difference between this year and last, however. On the heels of Peyton Manning's recent disclosure that the Broncos are counting on Montee Ball "in a big way," there is naturally speculation that McGahee's starting job -- and even roster spot -- could be in jeopardy.

McGahee, for one, is unmoved by the Ball threat. Now slimmed down and fully healthy, McGahee said Tuesday that he expects to be the Week 1 starting running back, according to USA Today's Lindsay Jones.

The Denver Post has suggested that the Broncos want Ball and Ronnie Hillman to emerge as their "one-two punch" as soon as this season. Although head coach John Fox has a demonstrated history of bringing his rookie backs along slowly, Manning has said that is not the plan with Ball.

The coaching staff gave McGahee an exceptionally long leash before last year's season-ending knee injury. Considering Fox's veteran fetish, we wouldn't write off McGahee just yet. He likely will enter training camp atop the depth chart, with Ball and Hillman nipping at his heels.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

Rotoworld:

The Colorado Springs Gazette predicts Ronnie Hillman will be the Broncos' Week 1 starting tailback, before Montee Ball passes him "by the end of September."
It's a notable item, but keep in mind beat writer Paul Klee is just guessing. Klee also expects to "see plenty of (Knowshon) Moreno" in what ostensibly would be a three-man rotation, "because he's their most reliable pass blocker." Certainly, the Broncos' lead back job will come down to pass protection, which is more important to Peyton Manning than any quarterback in the NFL. We still expect Ball to run away with the job if he demonstrates efficient blitz-pickup ability in August. Hillman is a change-of-pace scatback, and Moreno's talent is pedestrian at best.

Related: Knowshon Moreno, Montee Ball

Source: Colorado Springs Gazette

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

The Colorado Springs Gazette predicts Ronnie Hillman will be the Broncos' Week 1 starting tailback, before Montee Ball passes him "by the end of September."
It's a notable item, but keep in mind beat writer Paul Klee is just guessing. Klee also expects to "see plenty of (Knowshon) Moreno" in what ostensibly would be a three-man rotation, "because he's their most reliable pass blocker." Certainly, the Broncos' lead back job will come down to pass protection, which is more important to Peyton Manning than any quarterback in the NFL. We still expect Ball to run away with the job if he demonstrates efficient blitz-pickup ability in August. Hillman is a change-of-pace scatback, and Moreno's talent is pedestrian at best.

I don't understand predictions like this. If you think the guy is the best, he'll probably win the job. If 3 months of camps and preseason wasn't enough for him to do so, then 4 weeks of NFL games probably won't be, either. If Ball is not the opening-week starter, I will be pessimistic about his prospects of gaining the starting job any time soon, barring injury or underperformance ahead of him, or near-miraculous play from Ball himself.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

I don't understand predictions like this. If you think the guy is the best, he'll probably win the job. If 3 months of camps and preseason wasn't enough for him to do so, then 4 weeks of NFL games probably won't be, either. If Ball is not the opening-week starter, I will be pessimistic about his prospects of gaining the starting job any time soon, barring injury or underperformance ahead of him, or near-miraculous play from Ball himself.
Tempest in a tea pot. The article looked like he was phoning in a requirement for column inches.

Cluster bomb. G/L with the rookie. I might consider a late flyer on Hillman or Slowshon at RB5 but no way I'm touching Ball at his current ADP.

It seems like people are only looking at the John Fox side of the equation and not the Peyton Manning side. I get that Fox historically has trusted vets over rookies out of the backfield. But Manning doesn't seem to have the same concerns. Over his career in IND, Manning had Edge suit up and play a ton as a rookie (2139/17), Rhodes played well as a rookie when Edge went down (1328/9 in mostly 10 games), and Addai was also pretty productive his first season (1406/8).

Rhodes and Addai certainly did not have the same pedigree that James had, yet they both seemed to put up decent numbers and did not appear to struggle in picking up the offense or with pass protection schemes. IMO, if Manning wants Ball to be the main guy, I suspect Ball will get a lot of the reps.

It seems like people are only looking at the John Fox side of the equation and not the Peyton Manning side. I get that Fox historically has trusted vets over rookies out of the backfield. But Manning doesn't seem to have the same concerns. Over his career in IND, Manning had Edge suit up and play a ton as a rookie (2139/17), Rhodes played well as a rookie when Edge went down (1328/9 in mostly 10 games), and Addai was also pretty productive his first season (1406/8).

Rhodes and Addai certainly did not have the same pedigree that James had, yet they both seemed to put up decent numbers and did not appear to struggle in picking up the offense or with pass protection schemes. IMO, if Manning wants Ball to be the main guy, I suspect Ball will get a lot of the reps.
When Edge suited up, marshall faulk was gone and the cupboard was bare.

I dont recall if Edge and Addai over lapped.

Agreed. Protecting Manning will be the deciding factor in who plays most.

this is what might get Moreno more work then expected. He's a great receiver and blocker. No matter what Ball does he isn't going to be a better receiver and I highly doubt he'll be as good of a blocker as Moreno his rookie year.

this is what might get Moreno more work then expected. He's a great receiver and blocker. No matter what Ball does he isn't going to be a better receiver and I highly doubt he'll be as good of a blocker as Moreno his rookie year.
This is why people are are sleeping on Moreno, yet again. Every year, it seems like people can't help from chasing the shiny. Ball might be a very good ff player to own but he is absolutely going to be over drafted this season

This is why people are are sleeping on Moreno, yet again. Every year, it seems like people can't help from chasing the shiny. Ball might be a very good ff player to own but he is absolutely going to be over drafted this season
If Moreno is such a valued commodity, why was he a healthy scratch for 6 weeks last year? It certainly looks like he was the last man standing in terms of RB options. Isn't this the team that opted to try for Lawrence Maroney? Is any of that a vote of confidence in Moreno? IMO, Moreno is an old regime player and not the choice of the new administration.

Isn't this the team that opted to try for Lawrence Maroney? Is any of that a vote of confidence in Moreno? IMO, Moreno is an old regime player and not the choice of the new administration.
I don't see what Josh McDaniels trading for Laurence Maroney (to fill in for an injured rookie Knowshon Moreno) in 2010 has to do with John Fox playing Knowshon Moreno in 2013.

Isn't this the team that opted to try for Lawrence Maroney? Is any of that a vote of confidence in Moreno? IMO, Moreno is an old regime player and not the choice of the new administration.
I don't see what Josh McDaniels trading for Laurence Maroney (to fill in for an injured rookie Knowshon Moreno) in 2010 has to do with John Fox playing Knowshon Moreno in 2013.
They added Maroney in 2010 when Moreno had a minor injury. They added McGahee in 2011. They drafted Hillman last year and Ball this year. Where in that are we to conclude that Moreno is the guy that is going to emerge, seeing how the team has added a RB EVERY YEAR since they drafted Moreno (even if the coaching staff and team leadership has changed).

They added Maroney in 2010 when Moreno had a minor injury. They added McGahee in 2011. They drafted Hillman last year and Ball this year. Where in that are we to conclude that Moreno is the guy that is going to emerge, seeing how the team has added a RB EVERY YEAR since they drafted Moreno (even if the coaching staff and team leadership has changed).
No, McDaniels added Maroney in 2010 when Moreno had a nagging training camp hammy injury that flared up again in week 2. I wouldn't say 'they' added Maroney because virtually no one left from that regime is left in the FO.

They did add McGahee in 2011 and proceeded to draft RBs in the early to midrounds in the past 2 drafts. I'd point to that as evidence, and I'd agree that evidence points to Denver moving past relying on KM.

But the Maroney pickup has absolutely no bearing on how this regime views Moreno. He was picked up when Moreno was hurt. Moreno's first week back from that injury coincided with Maroney's final game played as a Bronco. I think Ball will be as close as it comes to being the guy in 2013, but that has nothing to do with Maroney being signed by a different staff while KM was injured 3 years ago.

I think its gonna be a 33/33/33 split RBBC. Value only lies in whomever is drafted last, and only has value as a lottery ticket.

You guys need to see the writing on the wall in regards to Moreno. It's fairly clear to see it when you take a RB in the 2nd round. It's even clearer to see when Manning takes the guy under his wing to get him ready for the season and breaks down film with him.

Moreno is exactly what he is, an injury handcuff to Ball.

If anyone needs more evidence just watch him play.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Happens all the time. Coaches see a lot of stuff they like with their rookie RB in practice and preseason, but when people are hitting for realsies, they get gunshy about giving 20 carries and who knows how many blocking assignments to a guy who has never faced NFL competition in a live game.I traded a lot to get Ball in my dynasty league, and will be targetting him in my other leagues as well, but not as a week 1 starter. I'll start my WR4 in a flex over Ball until I see something from him in a real NFL game. I love his potential this year - he's one of the very few players I can see getting 4 TDs in a game in weeks 15 and 16 since the team will be looking to protect Manning for the playoff run and establish the run so they can make opponents think twice about how to defend Manning in the playoffs. But coaches are real people who have real fears and I think most coaches will take a little time before throwing their rookie - and their franchise QB - to the proverbial wolves.

Ronnie Hillman: I can be Broncos' featured back
By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

CULVER CITY, Calif. -- Ronnie Hillman knows the scouting report.

He's not big enough. He can't take a pounding between the tackles. He's best-suited as a change-of-pace back.

"You get that when you're a smaller guy," the Denver Broncos running back told Around The League on Monday from the NFL Media newsroom. "You can't take the pounding, but I just brush it off. Of course you hear things, I'm not going to sit hear and say I don't hear what they say, but you just got to let it go.

"Obviously, getting 22 carries in negative 13-degree-weather against the Ravens (in the divisional playoffs), they shouldn't have much else to say about that if they're paying attention."

Hillman put on 15 pounds of muscle in the offseason, bulking his frame up to 200 pounds. He said the Broncos actually want him to drop weight and play in the 190- to 195 range.

With Willis McGahee out of the picture, rookie Monte Ball and Knowshon Moreno stand as Hillman's chief competition for playing time. We asked Hillman about his first impressions of Ball, Denver's second-round pick in April's draft.

"He's a good kid, I can't say kid. He's older than me," Hillman said with a laugh. "He's a good dude, he's learning, he's doing good things out on the field. He's going to be good."

Ball has a very good shot to be Denver's lead back when the dust settles. Hillman should be able to carve out his own niche if he is able to improve as a blocker. In Denver, protecting the quarterback is of utmost importance.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

Rotoworld:

The Denver Post calls Knowshon Moreno an "ideal" third-down back.
Third-down backs playing with Peyton Manning need to be able to protect. Coach John Fox may not trust rookie Montee Ball to do that job initially and Ronnie Hillman struggled badly with it last season. That leaves Moreno, a plus pass-catcher and blocker who won't be getting very much early-down work at all. Per the Post, the Broncos want Ball and Hillman to get "most" of the carries this season.

Related: Ronnie Hillman, Montee Ball

Source: Denver Post

Rotoworld:

Third-down backs playing with Peyton Manning need to be able to protect. Coach John Fox may not trust rookie Montee Ball to do that job initially and Ronnie Hillman struggled badly with it last season. That leaves Moreno, a plus pass-catcher and blocker who won't be getting very much early-down work at all. Per the Post, the Broncos want Ball and Hillman to get "most" of the carries this season.

If Moreno were the ideal third down back, wouldn't DEN have used him in that role last year with Manning?

Rotoworld:

If Moreno were the ideal third down back, wouldn't DEN have used him in that role last year with Manning?
Not if his knee wasn't healthy (which could also be a problem this year, if his recovery doesn't go well).

Rotoworld:

Not if his knee wasn't healthy (which could also be a problem this year, if his recovery doesn't go well).
Moreno was a healthy scratch several weeks last year (like 6 times) and only got a chance to play because he was the only healthy back later in the season. But that happened in Week 12. As I see things, Moreno is not a back the current coaching staff really endorses, as they've now drafted Ball and Hillman in consecutive drafts.

Rotoworld:

Moreno was a healthy scratch several weeks last year (like 6 times) and only got a chance to play because he was the only healthy back later in the season. But that happened in Week 12. As I see things, Moreno is not a back the current coaching staff really endorses, as they've now drafted Ball and Hillman in consecutive drafts.
I'm not saying the coaching staff endorses Moreno (or that they don't); just that his knee wasn't healthy. He played in the first few games, didn't look good, and was subsequently scratched. He wasn't missing practice time, so he wasn't in the injury report, so when he didn't play, he was seen as a "healthy scratch," but there was no reason to have him active if he wasn't 100%. McGahee was carrying the load (and he is very capable at pass-blocking & catching), Moreno doesn't play ST (while Hillman, Ball, and Gronkowski do) and NFL teams don't usually keep 5 RBs active on game day, THAT is why Moreno was scratched, not because he isn't suited for 3rd down duties.

Rotoworld:

The Broncos' website suggests the Denver backfield could be headed for a "running-back-by-committee situation."
The team website calls the backfield race "relatively wide open," and notes coach John Fox's Carolina offenses often used committees, from Stephen Davis and DeShaun Foster to DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart. Rookie Montee Ball is the favorite for carries, but must show competence and consistency in pass protection to hold off Ronnie Hillman and Knowshon Moreno as the clear lead back.

Related: Knowshon Moreno, Ronnie Hillman

Source: denverbroncos.com

Pass-blocking included, is Montee Ball a better overall player than Knowshon Moreno assuming both are healthy?

2nd-year RBs: Ronnie Hillman

Evan Silva

This is Part 6 in my 10-Part Second-Year Running Back Series, using NFL Game Rewind to analyze each sophomore back's rookie-season tape. For the Lamar Miller, David Wilson, Bryce Brown, Vick Ballard, and Bernard Pierce writeups, click here:

Miller Link.

Wilson Link.

Brown Link.

Ballard Link.

Pierce Link.

Ronnie Hillman

A 2012 third-round pick out of San Diego State, Hillman entered the NFL with a running style heavily reliant on a lateral jump cut that too frequently resulted in negative runs versus Mountain West Conference competition. I recall Rotoworld draft analyst Josh Norris wondering aloud whether such a one-move-dependent back could make it in the NFL as more than a rotational player.

Since Hillman was drafted, Broncos VP of Football Operations John Elway has strongly indicated twice that he envisions Hillman as a spot-playing change-up runner.

"He's electric," Elway told the Denver Post in May of 2012. "He's got a chance to make that big play. He's a great change of pace to what we have."

In another Post item, here was Elway's backfield reassessment just before this past April's draft: "With Willis McGahee, he's our big back right now. We have Ronnie Hillman who's a 190-pound change-of-pace type guy. We look at Willis as being that big back for us right now, and then we'll see what happens in the draft." McGahee, of course, has since been replaced by Montee Ball.

As a rookie, Hillman went on to play 20.4 percent of Denver's offensive snaps and average 3.86 yards on 107 carries, including the playoffs. He caught 13 passes. Exclude Hillman's 14-carry, 86-yard Week 8 game against the Saints' No. 32 defense, and he averaged 3.52 yards per rush last season. After re-watching all 120 of Hillman's first-year touches, these were my takeaways:

While writing this second-year running back series, I've often felt the urge to begin constructing conclusive paragraphs about 70 percent through my tape review. I'm glad I didn't do that with Hillman. The diminutive if fleet-footed rookie made noticeable late-season strides as a between-the-tackles runner and demonstrated improved vision over the course of the year, recognizing cutback lanes and hitting them with burst. For most of his first season, Hillman's vision was a concern to the point that he was leaving yards on the field. He got better, and I think that's a good long-term sign.

Hillman is a fluid athlete with light feet and wiggle. Purely in terms of change-of-direction ability, he's the best sophomore back I've studied so far. Hillman runs with niftiness and excels at weaving in and out of lanes into the second level of the defense. He's a better runner through traffic than I thought. And when Hillman stays downhill and/or executes an effective cutback run, the quickness with which he gets vertical is usually impressive.

Overall, however, I think there were more negatives than positives on Hillman's 2012 film. I charted all 120 of Hillman's touches, and 63 of them (52.5 percent) went for three yards or fewer. Of his 107 carries, 30 went for no gain or lost yards. Hillman remained prone to "stuffs" and negative runs for two reasons:

1. There is no power element to his game. Hillman doesn't run with leg drive. He lacks physicality to break tackles, move piles, and add yardage to plays. Hillman is small and plays like it.

2. When holes aren't blatantly obvious, Hillman has a tendency to hesitate behind the line and become a dancer. This is a surefire way to rack up negative runs. Although he didn't do it so often that I came away believing it's an uncorrectable flaw, Hillman did not consistently attack the line of scrimmage with a sense of urgency on inside running plays.

While I thought Hillman reeled off a number of effective, chain-moving runs late in the season -- particularly in Denver's tilts with Baltimore -- the two numbered tendencies lead me to believe he is more of a scatback than potential featured runner. Based on Elway's comments, the Broncos seem to have identified Hillman as a role-player only, as well.

The Broncos also had little faith in Hillman as a pass protector, a characteristic critical to earning substantial playing time in Peyton Manning's offense. Hillman touched the ball just 13 times all season on third down, and gained first-down yardage on four. Pro Football Focus charted Hillman with only 31 pass-block attempts. I noticed why, of course: Hillman wasn't just tentative as blitzing defenders approached. He backpedaled and looked legitimately intimidated.

The Broncos used toss sweeps, swing passes, off-tackle plays, and stretch runs to get Hillman's speed on the edge, but he was inconsistent in his ability to beat defenders to the corner. I found this confusing. Hillman ran a 4.42 forty coming out of college, and burst and explosion are supposed to be his calling cards. I thought they showed up sometimes, but not all the time. Because he couldn't regularly win footraces to the perimeter, I wondered whether Hillman's high volume of short-area steps ("foot frequency") made his speed look better than it really is. Hillman appears to run with plus acceleration, but it didn't always translate to successful outside runs.

One note I made when watching Hillman was in regard to Denver's exterior wide receiver blocking. This doesn't get talked about much, but Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker jumped off the screen as run blockers. Hillman's long runs were generally extremely well blocked.

Ultimately, I didn't think Hillman showed many special qualities as a rookie. He wasn't a back who consistently stood out on tape when handling the football. There is little or no physicality to Hillman's game, and enough limitations that my comparison after one season would be to a quicker-footed version of Donald Brown.

At the same time, I am not ready to throw in the towel on Ronnie Hillman. He was the youngest player in the NFL last year. And amidst the negatives, there were enough positives that Hillman is a player I plan to monitor closely during the 2013 preseason.

Eminence said:
Pass-blocking included, is Montee Ball a better overall player than Knowshon Moreno assuming both are healthy?
I don't think so. When I watch Ball's film, I am reminded a lot of Moreno's Georgia film. To me, they look like the same player. Moreno is likely much better in pass pro, but Ball is likely to be healthier. Other than that I see two guys who aren't overly big or fast, who catch well, and need a lot of moves to pick up yards.

I'll ask the following question again. From the time he was drafted, when has Moreno been looked at to be a candidate as a heavy load back for the Broncos? For whatever reason, since he was drafted, DEN went on to add Correll Buckhalter, Lamont Jordan, Lawrence Maroney, Lance Ball, Willis McGahee, Jacob Hester, Ronnie Hillman, and now Montee Ball. Wouldn't it stand to reason that if Moreno were the anointed one that the team would not constantly be looking for RBs?

I realize there have been 3 head coaches in that timeframe, but one has to wonder if Moreno is really viewed as a lead RB candidate. Is there any reason 4 years later, after multiple injuries, time missed, a limited workload, and seemingly only getting the ball when there were no other options, that Moreno will start the season at the head of the list and be a bell cow running back?

I'll ask the following question again. From the time he was drafted, when has Moreno been looked at to be a candidate as a heavy load back for the Broncos? For whatever reason, since he was drafted, DEN went on to add Correll Buckhalter, Lamont Jordan, Lawrence Maroney, Lance Ball, Willis McGahee, Jacob Hester, Ronnie Hillman, and now Montee Ball. Wouldn't it stand to reason that if Moreno were the anointed one that the team would not constantly be looking for RBs?

I realize there have been 3 head coaches in that timeframe, but one has to wonder if Moreno is really viewed as a lead RB candidate. Is there any reason 4 years later, after multiple injuries, time missed, a limited workload, and seemingly only getting the ball when there were no other options, that Moreno will start the season at the head of the list and be a bell cow running back?
I tend to agree with this. The problem is that it is really tough to make a great argument for any of the RB's on the team being viewed this year as the lead RB candidate. With Ball, you have the whole Fox history with Rookie RBs ( http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=historyofjohnfoxrookierunningbacks ), Hillman seems like he has potential and the team traded up last year to get him, but when McGahee was injured they went to Moreno instead. Then you have Moreno, who you make a great argument against.

So maybe this is just RBBC. That is certainly a possibility. But if one of these guys does end up being the lead back by a significant margin they will have tremendous value this year. It is just a matter of who that will be if anyone.

I'm bullish on the Broncos RB. Not sure who it is, but even if I overspend a bit to get them all, I think the benefits will outweigh the risks.

Calling it now: The key to my 2013 fantasy season.

We tend to always blame the player and never the organization for not realizing what they have. Lots of players get overlooked in their current situation and flourish in other locations or when finally pressed into service due to the organization's perception of they have nothing else to lean on.I will not say I think Moreno is the bee's knees but I have noticed that in the few times that the team has used him for a month or so at a time, he is a top 12 or so fantasy RB and that is nothing to sneeze at.

For whatever reason, Moreno seems to get no shot at making this job his. But the same can be said of Thomas Jones for years and DWIL and JStew at times and lots and lots of other players.

So, bottom line, I'm not going to do like most and say Moreno is just simply not good. I, instead, think he is misused and I recognize his value should his opportunity arise again and for that reason, I clearly see the strong value in the Denver RB; I just have no idea who that is (but I am betting on Moreno just as much as any of the others based on his ability to play that role that Manning needs and play it well).

We tend to always balme the player and never the organization for not realizing what they have. Lots of players get overlooked in their current situation and flourish in other locations or when finally pressed into service due to the organization's perception of they have nothing else to lean on.

I will not say I think Moreno is the bee's knees but I have noticed that in the few times that the team has used him for a month or so at a time, he is a top 12 or so fantasy RB and that is nothing to sneeze at.

For whatever reason, Moreno seems to get no shot at making this job his. But the same can be said of Thomas Jones for years and DWIL and JStew at times and lots and lots of other players.

So, bottom line, I'm not going to do like most and say Moreno is just simply not good. I, instead, think he is misused and I recognoze his value should his opportunity arise again and for that reason, I clearly see the strong value in the Denver RB; I just have no idea who that is (but I am betting on Moreno just as much as any of the others based on his ability to play that role that Manning needs and play it well).
I'm not knocking Moreno. I've rostered him pretty much every year in one league or another. His talent may be better or worse than he's shown, but as you pointed out, he's been pretty productive when he finally got in the line up. The poster boy I used to point at as EXHIBIT A in terms of how well he did when he finally got the football was Mewelde Moore. He had 15 touches in a game 14 times and had over 100 yfs in 11 of them, averaging 124 yfs in those games.

Moreno hasn't been quite as good in his 27 games with 15 touches, as he hit the 100 yfs mark 13 times in the those games (but still averaged 101 yfs in those games).

I'm bullish on the Broncos RB. Not sure who it is, but even if I overspend a bit to get them all, I think the benefits will outweigh the risks.

And if it turns into a full blown RBBC (a fairly decent probability), you've blown three roster spots and one decently high pick. I think the odds of a 3-headed monster are much higher early than late, but by then, it might be too late for your squad. If I go this route of thinking, I'll probably only roster two of three and hope for the best. Probably Ball/Moreno, since I view Hillman as the least likely to get a fantasy starter's load this year.

And if it turns into a full blown RBBC (a fairly decent probability), you've blown three roster spots and one decently high pick. I think the odds of a 3-headed monster are much higher early than late, but by then, it might be too late for your squad. If I go this route of thinking, I'll probably only roster two of three and hope for the best. Probably Ball/Moreno, since I view Hillman as the least likely to get a fantasy starter's load this year.
I guess it depends on how many spots you have on a roster. In a redraft, I took Ball as my 4th RB. If he ends up at some point getting the lion's share of the work, I can wait until then.

I guess it depends on how many spots you have on a roster. In a redraft, I took Ball as my 4th RB. If he ends up at some point getting the lion's share of the work, I can wait until then.
I agree with your logic, but it also depends on your league. Ball's ADP is 46 which means most people would have to go RB-RB-RB-RB to land him as their 4th running back. I doubt you did this, but suspect you landed him so late due to fortunate circumstances rather than the number of spots on your roster.

FF Ninja said:
Anarchy99 said:
LawFitz said:
Raiderfan32904 said:

I agree with your logic, but it also depends on your league. Ball's ADP is 46 which means most people would have to go RB-RB-RB-RB to land him as their 4th running back. I doubt you did this, but suspect you landed him so late due to fortunate circumstances rather than the number of spots on your roster.
Talking to some of the guys I play with who are football fans more than hardcore fantasy guys, they seem to be shying away from this situation due to the potential RBBC. I venture to guess in many leagues that draft early, like in the next few weeks before camps are in full force, you can get Ball much later than this. This is probably even more true in redrafts anyway.

Anarchy99 said:

I think Ball is the better player in real life and will be the better fantasy back.

Now that that is out of the way, the answer to your question is he looked like a fine RB from the week after McGahee went down all the way until Moreno himself was hurt in the divisional round last year. He was a completely different RB from the one who couldn't find a hole, had zero patience, couldn't keep his feet under him, and the guy who took himself out of the game after a huge 8 yard scamper. The Broncos trusted him enough to give him more 20+ carry games than McGahee last year. I don't think he'll have to carry the load, but in a pinch he has proven to be up to the task at least for a handful of games.

Moreno is an ideal 3rd down RB. He wasn't used as one because he looked terrible the 1st 2 weeks last year. He's always had good hands, though and he's the best pass-blocking back on the roster. He grew a lot while being a healthy scratch. No, I don't think he's going to be the guy. That, imo, will eventually be Ball. But Moreno's game fits really well for a 3rd-down RB in this offence and I expect that (hold your breath), barring injury, he'll hold that role down to begin the season. I'm not sure anyone in here is saying Moreno is going to be a 'bell cow' RB.

Users who are viewing this thread