Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
ComfortablyNumb

Official Tom Brady - bust alert (in 2013)

For me---fantasy wise--the Pats getting Brown impacts Brady's value the most in a positive way.   I think he could easily end up being a top 5 fantasy qb if brown and gordon can stay on the field and out of trouble.   I also wouldn't be shocked to see Gronk return at some point later this season--which could boost his value even more.  I think todays news puts Brady in the conversation for being a top 5 fantasy qb--and he could have top 3 upside if gronk returns. 

I hate to admit it as a Jets’s fan but I drafted Tom Brady for the first time ever this year. It was round 12 and I was only team that hadn’t drafted a QB, and three of the  11 teams already had backups. How could I not take him? I followed up with Kyler Murray next round.

Edited by Dr. Octopus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

For me---fantasy wise--the Pats getting Brown impacts Brady's value the most in a positive way.   I think he could easily end up being a top 5 fantasy qb if brown and gordon can stay on the field and out of trouble.   I also wouldn't be shocked to see Gronk return at some point later this season--which could boost his value even more.  I think todays news puts Brady in the conversation for being a top 5 fantasy qb--and he could have top 3 upside if gronk returns. 

That's the thing with these situations. QB wins big in but all the parts lose as much as they win.

I needed a qb in a bad way after watching Trubisky’s lack-of-improvement Thursday night, so just forked over a sizeable asking price for Brady in my dynasty league.  The potential for huge numbers is there though with AB, Edelman, and Gordon (and possibly Gronk in the second half if lucky).  Obviously there’s some risk in some of these names but the Pats have decent looking depth as well.

Tom Brady completed 24-of-36 passes for 341 yards and three touchdowns in the Patriots' Week 1 win over the Steelers.

Brady had most of success versus the blitz, throwing two of his three touchdowns against it. He hit Phillip Dorsett for a pair of his scores, with the other a 20-yard strike to Josh Gordon. Brady wasn’t even playing his full supporting cast -- he'll get Antonio Brown and potentially Demaryius Thomas next week -- but still managed to have his way with the Steelers secondary. With a matchup against a Miami team that just gave up five touchdowns to Lamar Jackson, Brady will be to top quarterback play for Week 2

Sep 8, 2019, 11:29 PM ET

Sportsnet Stats @SNstats

#Patriots Tom Brady: 2nd oldest player in NFL history to score a rushing TD (42 years, 43 days)

Oldest: Doug Flutie (42 years, 71 days)

Tom Brady completed 20-of-28 passes for 264 yards and a pair of touchdowns while adding two carries for one yard and an additional touchdown Sunday in New England’s Week 2 victory over the Dolphins.

Brady took two sacks for a loss of nine yards. Even without both of his starting tackles (Marcus Cannon sat out with a shoulder injury while Isaiah Wynn missed most of the afternoon with a foot issue), Brady had no trouble shredding the Dolphins, who entered Sunday as 18-point home underdogs. Brady’s first touchdown pass came on a slick back-shoulder throw to Antonio Brown (who logged a 4-56-1 receiving line in his New England debut) while his second came on a 10-yard screen to James White with 2:10 left to go in the fourth quarter (the Patriots were inexplicably still throwing despite a 37-point advantage). The three-time MVP also added a rushing score, the 20th of his storied career, on a goal-line sneak. Brady surely could have inflicted more damage on the hapless Fins (who didn’t resemble anything close to an NFL team), but instead the Pats deferred to their ground game in the second half. The reigning champs will look to continue their winning ways when the Jets come to town in We

Sep 15, 2019, 4:42 PM ET

With brees about to miss 6 weeks or more, this is now very relevant to their remaining careers

Career yardage leaders

Brees 74,845

Manning 71,940

Favre 71,838

Brady 71,119

Career touchdowns leaders 

Manning 539

Brady 522

Brees 522

If Brady is within striking distance of the yardage record headed into next season, it would be hard to retire. 

If Brees has a 1000 yard lead, it would be hard to retire. 

So the race to see who can play longer is very much on.  

But if you're brees, do you really want to retire the same season Brady does?  Do you want to be arguably the second best quarterback in NFL history and be the second best qb in your hall of fame class or a second ballot hall of famer?  Or would you rather give up the passing records?   Either one sucks. There's a weird game of chicken going on here for Brees, while Brady is still trailing in yards and is in a close battle for touchdowns.  

14 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

With brees about to miss 6 weeks or more, this is now very relevant to their remaining careers

Career yardage leaders

Brees 74,845

Manning 71,940

Favre 71,838

Brady 71,119

Career touchdowns leaders 

Manning 539

Brady 522

Brees 522

If Brady is within striking distance of the yardage record headed into next season, it would be hard to retire. 

If Brees has a 1000 yard lead, it would be hard to retire. 

So the race to see who can play longer is very much on.  

But if you're brees, do you really want to retire the same season Brady does?  Do you want to be arguably the second best quarterback in NFL history and be the second best qb in your hall of fame class or a second ballot hall of famer?  Or would you rather give up the passing records?   Either one sucks. There's a weird game of chicken going on here for Brees, while Brady is still trailing in yards and is in a close battle for touchdowns.  

I’m not so sure many people will think Brees would be the second best QB no matter where he finishes in term of career rankings. 

If the draft were held today the only QB I would take over Brady is Pat Mahomes and that’s only because New England’s defense is much better than KC’s...If Antonio Brown doesn’t get suspended the Patriots offense will simply be unstoppable and as Belichick displayed yesterday he loves to run up the score.

Just now, Saboo said:

If the draft were held today the only QB I would take over Brady is Pat Mahomes and that’s only because New England’s defense is much better than KC’s...If Antonio Brown doesn’t get suspended the Patriots offense will simply be unstoppable and as Belichick displayed yesterday he loves to run up the score.

I don't think I'd want to draft a guy who is likely to retire before his "rookie" contract expired...

11 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

I’m not so sure many people will think Brees would be the second best QB no matter where he finishes in term of career rankings.

He said arguably, and, yes, one could make that argument, but I think the vast majority of those interested in such matters would reject the argument. I don't even think Brees is among the top 4 all-time QBs, since IMO Brady, Montana, Unitas, and Peyton are all clearly ahead of him. Not saying he is 5th, but is somewhere in that next group of top all-time QBs.

As for this:

32 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

There's a weird game of chicken going on here for Brees

I very seriously doubt that Brees is concerned about this at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anarchy99 said:

I've seen saints fans argue he's better than Brady but coaching and cheating and blah blah. That's not really the point though - brees is clearly among the best ever, but also pretty clearly behind Brady in most people's minds.  I don't think either guy would like to share a stage for their induction ceremony but I'd think it would mean a little more to Brees.  But the career records would mean more to his legacy, too. So it's a bit of a catch 22.

A lot of freak injuries to QBs, but maybe there is some degree of truth to the TB12 method, despite the mass marketing now, especially for the guys in their older years......all that plyo training? Certainly works for Brady I guess.

Big Ben might want some of them TB12 resistance bands.

51 minutes ago, Jacksonke1 said:

A lot of freak injuries to QBs, but maybe there is some degree of truth to the TB12 method, despite the mass marketing now, especially for the guys in their older years......all that plyo training? Certainly works for Brady I guess.

Big Ben might want some of them TB12 resistance bands.

Brady usually does a good job of avoiding big hits. But even he can’t avoid all of them. He may be more limber and that may help his throwing motion and accuracy to a limited degree.  But a lot of it is just plain luck. 

• Like 1

I heard a conversation about this the other day on the radio and didn't believe it until I did the math.

Tom Brady career passing numbers, regular and post season:
7,053 completions, 11,028 attempts, 82,298 passing yards, 595 TD, 205 INT, 96.7 passer rating (239-70 record as a starter)

Joe Montana AND Steve Young COMBINED career passing numbers, regular and post season:
6,918 completions, 10,745 attempts, 82,773 passing yards, 570 TD, 280 INT, 94.7 passer rating (235-109 record as starters)

Brady's numbers are better than BOTH of the great Niners quarterbacks added together. Not that anything more needed to be said about TB, but that really showcased how long and how well he's played.

Edited by Anarchy99
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

I heard a conversation about this the other day on the radio and didn't believe it until I did the math.

Tom Brady career passing numbers, regular and post season:
7,053 completions, 11,028 attempts, 82,298 passing yards, 595 TD, 205 INT, 96.7 passer rating (239-70 record as a starter)

Joe Montana AND Steve Young COMBINED career passing numbers, regular and post season:
6,918 completions, 10,745 attempts, 82,773 passing yards, 570 TD, 280 INT, 94.7 passer rating (235-109 record as starters)

Brady's numbers are better than BOTH of the great Niners quarterbacks added together. Not that anything more needed to be said about TB, but that really showcased how long and how well he's played.

It also showcases that Brady played in a much more pass friendly era than Montana and Young did.

2 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

It also showcases that Brady played in a much more pass friendly era than Montana and Young did.

Sure. It has to be taken in context. Even adjusted for that, it's still ridiculous. And will be even more so by the time he's done. 

Arguably the greatest player to ever play the game. And even this dude the hoodie was ready to punt while he still had game left. Belly is as ruthless a coldblood as we've ever seen. And arguably the greatest coach ever. Their coexistence will be the only argument left about either of them not being at the top of the lists when all said and done with their era.

Anybody sell high (redraft) on Brady after week 3?

Can't do it now I suppose... everyone probably in the "he finally got old" state of mind this week. No running game, no Gronk, no AB, no mobility... typical end of week 4 for the Patriots.

On 9/17/2019 at 9:48 AM, Anarchy99 said:

Brady usually does a good job of avoiding big hits. But even he can’t avoid all of them. He may be more limber and that may help his throwing motion and accuracy to a limited degree.  But a lot of it is just plain luck. 

All true but the one thing that people forget about Brady is that he is a tough freaking dude. Not only does he play through every nagging injury (and he's had a bunch of them over the years, only ending up missing games when he tore his ACL in 2008) but he's taken some pretty big hits, both in the pocket and on QB sneaks. I still maintain that one of his greatest performances was that 2015 AFCC Game against Denver where he took an absolute BEATING, still put up 300+ yards and nearly forced overtime at the end. He showed major guts that day.

38 minutes ago, Workhorse said:

All true but the one thing that people forget about Brady is that he is a tough freaking dude. Not only does he play through every nagging injury (and he's had a bunch of them over the years, only ending up missing games when he tore his ACL in 2008) but he's taken some pretty big hits, both in the pocket and on QB sneaks. I still maintain that one of his greatest performances was that 2015 AFCC Game against Denver where he took an absolute BEATING, still put up 300+ yards and nearly forced overtime at the end. He showed major guts that day.

It's so funny how there can be completely different perceptions on the same real life events. Boston media has been chastising Brady this week for crying about his receivers, OL, and play calling after the game against the Bills. Their argument that Brady is a whiner was due to him not being sacked at all in the game and having only a few times when he was actually hit by defenders. Similarly, they feel that he's made the offense work without elite talent on offense for years, so he should just man up and put points on the board.

PFF sides with Brady on this one. The first thing they pointed out in their assessment of the game was how poorly the OL played in both communication and execution. Next up was the lack of dynamic play makers on offense, and the lack of them left Brady unable to quickly find anyone open. They agree NE needs another big play receiver and the WR corps against BUF dropped several balls at key moments that weren't Brady's fault.

I remember the game you mentioned. Brady got plastered and still almost pulled it out. But the optics are bad when he throws the ball into the dirt of a RB 20 feet away when he feels pressure that may or may not be there in a regular season game. He can take a lot of hits when he needs to, but he's played as long as he has by only taking the hits when he absolutely needs to. He's a tough hombre when it matters most though.

Tom Brady completed 31-of-41 passes for 334 yards, zero touchdowns and an interception, adding seven rushes for six yards and a pair of touchdowns in the Patriots' 35-14, Week 6 win over the Giants.

Brady also fumbled twice, losing one. Despite what the stats might have you believe, this was an extremely shaky outing from football's greatest living player. Brady's pick appeared to be the result of a miscommunication with Julian Edelman, though he could have easily tossed another. Brady appeared stone aged trying to move around the pocket in the face of intense Giants pressure in the first half. As usually happens, he managed to shake off the nightmare start to get into rhythm with Julian Edelman and James White after the break. Brady has been living on the edge this season but continues to post usable fantasy numbers. He has another ludicrously soft matchup for Week 7 as the Pats travel to New Jersey to take on the Jets.

Edited by The Frankman

Tom Brady completed 31-of-45 passes for 249 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in the Patriots' 33-0, Week 7 win over the Jets Monday night.

Brady and the Patriots coasted to an easy win by jumping out to a 17-0 first-quarter lead. Sony Michel scored three goal-line touchdowns. Brady was picking apart the Jets' barely-there defense with short passes galore before hitting Phillip Dorsett for a 26-yard touchdown behind overpaid CB Trumaine Johnson. Johnson later picked off Brady on a deflected pass that fell into his lap. Brady didn't have to do anything tonight and gets the Browns at home in Week 8.

Oct 21, 2019, 11:42 PM ET

This is silly. Brady has bought and sold houses before. His contract is set up exactly like Drew Brees is in New Orleans, and Brees has signed three extensions that way to give the Saints cap flexibility. Brady at 43 next year, going to a completely new system with all new players and coaches, doesn't make any sense on any level. His wife wants to live full time in NYC to attend to her business interests. Brady going to CHI is just click bait. That being said, if Brady does anything other than playing for NE, it will be calling it a career and retiring.

47 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

This is silly. Brady has bought and sold houses before. His contract is set up exactly like Drew Brees is in New Orleans, and Brees has signed three extensions that way to give the Saints cap flexibility. Brady at 43 next year, going to a completely new system with all new players and coaches, doesn't make any sense on any level. His wife wants to live full time in NYC to attend to her business interests. Brady going to CHI is just click bait. That being said, if Brady does anything other than playing for NE, it will be calling it a career and retiring.

Agreed. Just a (badly needed) distraction for Bears fans.

I guess if people keep predicting his downfall long enough, eventually they will side with old man time and be right.  But not for right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I guess if people keep predicting his downfall long enough, eventually they will side with old man time and be right.  But not for right now.

Statistics being so relentless and factual, an outlier's defiance will turn the hardest heart of porcelain cockles into something a little more inviting

• Thinking 1

15 minutes ago, OnTheReg said:

He's not going anywhere 

I think a better statement would be he's not going anywhere ELSE. So he either stays in NE or retires. It sounds like he wants to buy a new place in Connecticut. I can't see him moving there but then signing on to play for CHI, DEN, SFO, or any of the other crazy suggestions people have as other teams for him to play for.

36 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

I think a better statement would be he's not going anywhere ELSE. So he either stays in NE or retires. It sounds like he wants to buy a new place in Connecticut. I can't see him moving there but then signing on to play for CHI, DEN, SFO, or any of the other crazy suggestions people have as other teams for him to play for.

Schefter is generally not so crazy when he says things, though, and it was him on Monday Night Football that was pushing the story. He normally is a smoke-fire guy. I listened. 

Edited by rockaction

And why Connecticut? It's so awful and cold. I grew up there. Teenager. As an adult.

Ugh. The only cool thing about Connecticut is you can rhyme it with the word predicate. 

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

And why Connecticut? It's so awful and cold. I grew up there. Teenager. As an adult.

Ugh. The only cool thing about Connecticut is you can rhyme it with the word predicate. 

Sure, if it's a noun.  But if it's a verb, you'd use Kinetic Kate.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Giselle has business interests in the fashion industry and still does modeling. That is a NYC thing, as in living in another city won't cut it. They have been touring private schools in NYC and have been looking at properties in ritzy parts of Southern CT. I also grew up in CT and didn't love it, but my family was probably in a different tax bracket than Brady is in.

I hate to break it to people, but the same connecting of the dots has been circulating in the Boston area for months. Schefter is about 187th in line in terms of reporting on this side of the story. In NE, it isn't even news anymore. But somehow Schefter brings it up and it's taken as the gospel and as fact. 

Brady has bought and sold properties multiple times over the years and lived / didn't live locally at different times in his time in NE. I really can't see Brady moving somewhere other than where his wife wants to be, I really don't see Brady playing for a bad team, and I really don't see Brady wanting to start over with a whole new team /coaching staff /system / group of players at 43 years old.

The one piece of the puzzle which might make sense and ties this all together would be if NEW ENGLAND told him he isn't coming back. I can't believe that is the case, but that would make the other puzzle pieces fit together better.

I still feel Brady either goes year to year contract wise or just retires. I really don't see a scenario where he plays elsewhere. And to reiterate, Brady filled in the blanks for a contract that Brees used to give the Saints salary cap relief by adding a voidable year. Brees has signed that three times and has no interest in playing anywhere wlse. It has the same no franchise language in it. But ever since Brady didn't get an extension and his contract is set to expire, everyone has run with that and has played junior detective to snuff out that Brady will be wearing a different jersey next season.

I would guess if NE runs the table and has a perfect season, winning back-to-back titles, Brady gets the cherry on the sundae and retires. You couldn't end a career on a better note.

Edited by Anarchy99
  • Like 1

Oh yeah, I'm actually fairly familiar with the NYC area of CT. My cousin lives in Cos Cob (Greenwich). It's right on the NY line and is a relatively easy commute into NYC for her. Plenty of private schools for the children, too, though I could see them sending them up to the Housatonic area of CT or the Berkshire area of Massachusetts.

Enough of that Robin Leach Lifestyles moment. Your point about the contract and all that is taken and I thought the same thing you did about it all, but when Schefter lends credence to it, I listen for some reason. Perhaps he has sources. I don't know. I can't know. But he's a guy that you can be pretty sure is getting sourced information instead of just dot connecting.

But I'll leave it at that.

5 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Oh yeah, I'm actually fairly familiar with the NYC area of CT. My cousin lives in Cos Cob (Greenwich). It's right on the NY line and is a relatively easy commute into NYC for her. Plenty of private schools for the children, too, though I could see them sending them up to the Housatonic area of CT or the Berkshire area of Massachusetts.

Enough of that Robin Leach Lifestyles moment. Your point about the contract and all that is taken and I thought the same thing you did about it all, but when Schefter lends credence to it, I listen for some reason. Perhaps he has sources. I don't know. I can't know. But he's a guy that you can be pretty sure is getting sourced information instead of just dot connecting.

But I'll leave it at that.

Nationally I think Schefter is pretty accurate, but they've had him interviewed on the radio here and he's provided some hot takes and predictions that weren't even lukewarm over the years. Obviously he isn't making stuff up and someone is feeding him information, but I suspect it's someone local that covers the teams trying to get a hot take out there on a national scale.

Not knowing who is sources are or who is feeding him information, it's hard to tell if there is much there. Maybe Brady's camp is pushing that agenda to try to get the Pats to increase their offer. Maybe it's BB concocting and floating it to make it look like Brady is the one that wants to leave and put the burden on him as the bad guy that broke up the band. Who knows what the real story is. There has to be at least some element of truth or consideration because Brady didn't deny it when he could have easily said he plans to be here for the duration (even if he didn't mean it).

“That is the great part for me, I don’t know," Brady said. "I think that has been a unique situation that I have been in because I think when you commit to a team for a certain amount of years you kind feel like (there is) the responsibility to always fulfill the contract. For me, it’s been good because I am just taking it day-by-day and I am enjoying what I have. I don’t know what the future holds and the great part is for me, football at this point is all borrowed time. I never expected to play 20 years and I am playing on a great team and it’s just been an incredible 20 years of my life. To play for Mr. Kraft, and Jonathan and the Kraft family and for Coach Belichick and to have so much success is a dream come true.

“One day I will wake up and I will feel like, ‘OK, that will be enough.’ When that day comes, that day comes. I don’t know if it will be after this year. I don’t know if it will be five years from now. I don’t have to determine those things right now, either. That is kind of a good part of where I am at. Just take advantage of the opportunities that I have this year and do the very best I can do and then those decisions come at probably more appropriate times."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

That's fair and I agree

After doing a deeper dive on this and reading / watching / listening to literally 20 people's hot takes, here is my spin on what is going on with Brady moving forward. This is all speculative and there is nothing concrete at all in any of this.

It sounds like after winning another Super Bowl with one of the least talented Patriots teams last year, Brady went to NE and was fully expecting a fair market contract, especially after playing most of his career at a discount on team-friendly deals. He probably wanted a 3-year deal, fully guaranteed for $100+ million. Although no one came out and actually said it, I believe a sticking point was the contract that Jimmy G. got and Brady felt he merited far more than Garoppolo. However, BB has been said to have been unwilling to want to go beyond year-to-year with Brady, as Brady is in unchartered waters as far as QB's go. BB is said to have gotten together with their internal capologists and placed a contract value on expected production from Brady and didn't want to pay Brady anywhere near what Brady wants. Essentially, they don't believe Brady will be worth a top (or near the top) of the market contract for much longer.

It also sounds like this has been going on for two years. If you remember, two years ago, NE added some incentives to get Brady the chance to earn some extra money that year, and Brady ended up as MVP and got an extra $5 million. They tried a similar approach last year, and Brady wasn't close to hitting those numbers. So this was the third year in a row Brady wanted a multi-year, guaranteed deal at much more money and he didn't get it. The other issue is I think both sides are negotiating in the opposite direction. Brady keeps winning and seeing QB contracts go through the roof and wants more money. NE counters by saying he is one year older and his shelf life is limited and they offer less money.

Schefter several months ago (and more recently) made appearances on both radio and tv shows and was asked what he thought was going on with Brady and he gave some opinions by trying to connect the dots. He even said it was all guess work and a possible outcome.

Now we go back to last week and the whole Brady's house is on the market, his trainer's house is on the market, his contract is done and can't be franchised, his TB12 brand is going global, etc. Lots of NE beat guys have been all over the possibilities of Brady moving on for weeks and weeks. And IMO Schefter decided to look into it further. So it's possible he went to BB to sniff around, as Schefter was said to be around NE those days. In theory, he asked BB if there really was a chance that Tom could be in a different uniform next year. And it's possible that BB told Schefter that if Brady is unhappy or can get a much better offer, he can feel free to go get it. Basically, it sounds like Schefter was shocked by whatever answer he got from whomever he got it from, which sparked him to say that Brady sticking around NE was the least likely outcome. But it sounded like BB was ready to move forward with someone else if Brady didn't want to stick around or if insisted on playing for huge dollars.

The next day, Schefter is rumored to have possibly contacted Brady's camp, who then gave Schefter some heaping praise for NE, the Krafts, and BB and how great their relationship has been and it's never been better. The scuttle butt is that was given to Schefter to try to smooth the waters that Brady isn't as keen to move on as had been played up in the press. Basically, it sounds like a lot of gamesmanship is going on and things are getting leaked to the media on both sides.

Since then, a ton of teams have been brought up as potential landing spots for Brady. The one that made a tiny bit of sense was the Chargers, as there was talk that if Brady came to town he could sell over $300 million worth of PSL's to bring in season ticket holders for a market that is almost non-existent.  However, Brady is said to be zeroing in on a house in Connecticut, his trainer is said to have already purchased another house in Greater Boston, and ultimately the Krafts will likely do what it takes to keep Brady around (even if that may not fall in line with what BB thinks they should do).

That's what I sense has been going on, and I would say things stand as follows: Brady sticks around next year (50%), Brady retires (40%), and Brady stull wants to play and gets so mad at NE and plays elsewhere (10%). But I now think there is a non zero chance that Brady could play for a different teams (although still pretty unlikely). Subject to change as the season goes on . . .

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 11:00 AM, Anarchy99 said:

After doing a deeper dive on this and reading / watching / listening to literally 20 people's hot takes, here is my spin on what is going on with Brady moving forward. This is all speculative and there is nothing concrete at all in any of this.

It sounds like after winning another Super Bowl with one of the least talented Patriots teams last year, Brady went to NE and was fully expecting a fair market contract, especially after playing most of his career at a discount on team-friendly deals. He probably wanted a 3-year deal, fully guaranteed for $100+ million. Although no one came out and actually said it, I believe a sticking point was the contract that Jimmy G. got and Brady felt he merited far more than Garoppolo. However, BB has been said to have been unwilling to want to go beyond year-to-year with Brady, as Brady is in unchartered waters as far as QB's go. BB is said to have gotten together with their internal capologists and placed a contract value on expected production from Brady and didn't want to pay Brady anywhere near what Brady wants. Essentially, they don't believe Brady will be worth a top (or near the top) of the market contract for much longer.

I was led to believe that Brady took team friendly deals so the team would have more cap space to put quality players around him. This contract dispute theory may be correct but it goes against "what's best for the team" ... and that just doesn't sound like the Brady that we know ... who is already rich beyond anyone's dreams by the way.

It also sounds like this has been going on for two years. If you remember, two years ago, NE added some incentives to get Brady the chance to earn some extra money that year, and Brady ended up as MVP and got an extra $5 million. They tried a similar approach last year, and Brady wasn't close to hitting those numbers. So this was the third year in a row Brady wanted a multi-year, guaranteed deal at much more money and he didn't get it. The other issue is I think both sides are negotiating in the opposite direction. Brady keeps winning and seeing QB contracts go through the roof and wants more money. NE counters by saying he is one year older and his shelf life is limited and they offer less money.

Schefter several months ago (and more recently) made appearances on both radio and tv shows and was asked what he thought was going on with Brady and he gave some opinions by trying to connect the dots. He even said it was all guess work and a possible outcome.

Now we go back to last week and the whole Brady's house is on the market, his trainer's house is on the market, his contract is done and can't be franchised, his TB12 brand is going global, etc. Lots of NE beat guys have been all over the possibilities of Brady moving on for weeks and weeks. And IMO Schefter decided to look into it further. So it's possible he went to BB to sniff around, as Schefter was said to be around NE those days. In theory, he asked BB if there really was a chance that Tom could be in a different uniform next year. And it's possible that BB told Schefter that if Brady is unhappy or can get a much better offer, he can feel free to go get it. Basically, it sounds like Schefter was shocked by whatever answer he got from whomever he got it from, which sparked him to say that Brady sticking around NE was the least likely outcome. But it sounded like BB was ready to move forward with someone else if Brady didn't want to stick around or if insisted on playing for huge dollars.

I don't think BB is this candid with ANYone ... nevermind a national guy like Schefter. imo the source is someone else, maybe a lesser coach or even a Brady personal friend or family member. Someone that Brady would vent to. 

The next day, Schefter is rumored to have possibly contacted Brady's camp, who then gave Schefter some heaping praise for NE, the Krafts, and BB and how great their relationship has been and it's never been better. The scuttle butt is that was given to Schefter to try to smooth the waters that Brady isn't as keen to move on as had been played up in the press. Basically, it sounds like a lot of gamesmanship is going on and things are getting leaked to the media on both sides.

Speculation at best.

Since then, a ton of teams have been brought up as potential landing spots for Brady. The one that made a tiny bit of sense was the Chargers, as there was talk that if Brady came to town he could sell over $300 million worth of PSL's to bring in season ticket holders for a market that is almost non-existent.  However, Brady is said to be zeroing in on a house in Connecticut, his trainer is said to have already purchased another house in Greater Boston, and ultimately the Krafts will likely do what it takes to keep Brady around (even if that may not fall in line with what BB thinks they should do).

That's what I sense has been going on, and I would say things stand as follows: Brady sticks around next year (50%), Brady retires (40%), and Brady stull wants to play and gets so mad at NE and plays elsewhere (10%). But I now think there is a non zero chance that Brady could play for a different teams (although still pretty unlikely). Subject to change as the season goes on . . .

Responses in Red above ...

I don't buy the max contract thing for reason stated above. This thing makes very little sense to me. Not sure what Brady has to complain about.

Pats are drafting offensive players, keeping his coordinator McDaniels, making efforts to sign and trade for WR's / TE's, and winning championships.

Other than money, which he doesn't need and would squash much of the above, what more does a QB want?

Maybe he's miffed over the Ben Watson cut? The AB cut?? Is that the hill Brady wants to die on?

Edited by Bossman

2 minutes ago, Bossman said:

Responses in Red above ...

I don't buy the max contract thing for reason stated above. This thing makes very little sense to me. Not sure what Brady has to complain about.

Pats are drafting offensive players, keeping his coordinator McDaniels, making efforts to sign and trade for WR's / TE's, winning championships.

Other than money, which he doesn't need and would squash much of the above, what more does a QB want?

Maybe he's miffed over the Ben Watson cut? The AB cut?? Is that the hill Brady wants to die on?

We are never going to know what is really going on and what is happening behind closed doors. But IMO the money thing is a real issue. I don't think Brady wanted to set a new bar for a QB contract, but he wanted to be a few million dollars away from the top. So somewhere in the $30M's a year but all guaranteed. Doesn't sound like NE wanted to go much more than where they were ($22M) before Brady got a bump before the season . . . and they wanted to go year-to-year.

I don't know what the real numbers were . . . call it 3 years for $96 million. That could be a discounted contract for someone like Brady. Mahomes is probably going to break the $40 million barrier. The point being, Brady could take a big money deal that is still "less" money. He could still feel way underpaid compared to what the team is offering. I agree he doesn't need the money, but if there are other things rubbing him the wrong way and he is being asked to leave $10 million a year on the table, then maybe he at least pokes around elsewhere. 

Apparently that's part of the stumbling block. Brady wants the money guaranteed so that essentially guarantees he will remain the starter for 3 more years. I don't think BB has any interest in being forced to commit to a 45 year QB three years early because of the amount he's been paid. We'll have to see what happens, but sadly I think we are going to hear about the situation daily for 3 more months.

5 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

We are never going to know what is really going on and what is happening behind closed doors. But IMO the money thing is a real issue. I don't think Brady wanted to set a new bar for a QB contract, but he wanted to be a few million dollars away from the top. So somewhere in the $30M's a year but all guaranteed. Doesn't sound like NE wanted to go much more than where they were ($22M) before Brady got a bump before the season . . . and they wanted to go year-to-year.

I don't know what the real numbers were . . . call it 3 years for $96 million. That could be a discounted contract for someone like Brady. Mahomes is probably going to break the $40 million barrier. The point being, Brady could take a big money deal that is still "less" money. He could still feel way underpaid compared to what the team is offering. I agree he doesn't need the money, but if there are other things rubbing him the wrong way and he is being asked to leave $10 million a year on the table, then maybe he at least pokes around elsewhere. 

Apparently that's part of the stumbling block. Brady wants the money guaranteed so that essentially guarantees he will remain the starter for 3 more years. I don't think BB has any interest in being forced to commit to a 45 year QB three years early because of the amount he's been paid. We'll have to see what happens, but sadly I think we are going to hear about the situation daily for 3 more months.

Yeah, I can see the "guaranteed" part being a major sticking point for both of them.

Humorous theory that someone mentioned was McDaniels taking a head coaching job with the Chargers, Brady signs as a free agent, AB signs, ...

and Gronk come out of retirement to make an Uber Elite Chargers team. Silly, but that would be fun to see.

Tom Brady (shoulder) was upgraded to full participation at Thursday's practice.

He's no longer listed on the team's injury report. Brady and the surging Pats will put their undefeated record on the line Sunday night in Baltimore. Vegas has the Patriots as three-point road favorites.

SOURCE: Mike Reiss on Twitter

Oct 31, 2019, 4:24 PM ET