Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
ComfortablyNumb

Official Tom Brady - bust alert (in 2013)

6 hours ago, Edgar said:

It’s easy to pooh-pooh on Tom right now, but don’t forget the Pats have the worst weapons in the NFL.

That was debatably also true in 2018, then they went and lost Gronk.

Other than the Eagles. Not that they are gonna win but they might.

55 minutes ago, Capella said:

What if Gronk made Brady these last few years and nobody realized it? 

A huge factor was having Gronk and Edelman running those 5-7 yard routes and getting those 1st downs that didn't happen with the guys he's throwing to now. Cover up Edelman, he has problems. Couldn't do that with both those guys.

13 minutes ago, lod001 said:

A huge factor was having Gronk and Edelman running those 5-7 yard routes and getting those 1st downs that didn't happen with the guys he's throwing to now. Cover up Edelman, he has problems. Couldn't do that with both those guys.

Also has Amendola for a few years who was pretty clutch

6 hours ago, Tanner9919 said:

Brady had the worst QB rating of all playoff QBs not named Josh Allen. He had ranked 28th or worse in nearly every stat category: comp % of 56, yards per pas was ridiculously low , 17:8 TD:int ratio final 8 weeks. 2019 was a tale of two seasons for Brady - he started out white hot, then faded , badly, after week 4. 

he's shot.it's over. you can give him AB and J. Rice in his prime, what good is it if he throws the ball at their feet. or over their heads. or behind them. take the name off the jersey, he's a lesser Marcus Mariota. He looks terrible. and he can't handle the blitz anymore. that was the key, everyone has blitzed the heck out of him, they don't fear his abilities anymore. 

Bucky Brooks had a nice column write-up about Brady recently taling in depth about these things, on nfl.com

a former DC he's spoken to says the same things, Brady isn't close to what he once was.thats why they've lost 5 of their last 6 or whatever it is. they're cooked. Edelman isn't good without the steroids and PEDs, I guess. 

He's not the Brady he was a couple years ago, but this is an overreaction. 

If you did read the Bucky Brooks column, you'd also note that NE receivers dropped 34 passes. 2nd in the NFL. Brady's supporting cast this year was downright terrible.

Edelman was clearly compromised down the stretch. It wouldn't be surprising to see that he needs a significant shoulder surgery soon. And it was Edelman...old reliable...who dropped a critical third down pass last night that could have been a difference maker in the outcome.

TE? They basically did nothing to fill the Gronk void. Ben Watson already indicated post game that retirement is likely.

The rookie WRs? Had the serious droppsies. N. Harry had some killer drops last night. J. Meyers...nowhere to be found.

Sanu? Didn't make an impact. He's best playing a 3rd wheel role anyway.

Brady had a ton of time to throw last night. He didn't look rushed in any way and routinely could scan the field for options. Unfortunately, nobody could get any separation.

With more support and their current defense, NE can make another run. I just don't know how they can plug these holes AND pay Brady.

6 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

I just don't know how they can plug these holes AND pay Brady.

Give Brady a three year extension with a 29m signing bonus and a 1m guaranteed 2020 salary. Give both sides an opt out of the last two years of the contract. Bradys 2020 cap number will then be 10.7m or so. That leaves five for signing rookies and 14 for other stuff, plus 2021 isn't too screwed if they can find a replacement for Brady in the draft.

7 minutes ago, msommer said:

Give Brady a three year extension with a 29m signing bonus and a 1m guaranteed 2020 salary. Give both sides an opt out of the last two years of the contract. Bradys 2020 cap number will then be 10.7m or so. That leaves five for signing rookies and 14 for other stuff, plus 2021 isn't too screwed if they can find a replacement for Brady in the draft.

They already have their replacement 

9 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Father time and the grim reaper will soon knock on his door and when they do, he will wake up and look like Ernest Borgnine and his wife will look like Sarah Gilbert.  Kind of like a Robert Johnson thing.

is Brady dying? 

Just now, Dr. Dan said:

is Brady dying? 

No, just come to collect by changing his and his wife's looks :)

• Like 1

He wants to keep playing. Can’t see how the Pats let him play somewhere else.

His arm looks noticeably weaker but they are still a good team as long as they have that Oline, Bill, and Brady’s skills don’t fall off a cliff.

Would be shocked if he’s not back with the Pats next year.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, The General said:

He wants to keep playing. Can’t see how the Pats let him play somewhere else.

His arm looks noticeably weaker but they are still a good team as long as they have that Oline, Bill, and Brady’s skills don’t fall off a cliff.

Would be shocked if he’s not back with the Pats next year.

I thought the Patriots were all about business?  Good business says to move on from Brady.

ETA:  Moving on would be a PR nightmare, because the Pats fans are too invested in Brady regardless of his age or current skills.  They are caught between a rock and a hard place IMO.

Edited by JohnnyU
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

Jarrett Stidham? Tell me about him

Just now, JohnnyU said:

I thought the Patriots were all about business?  Good business says to move on from Brady.

There’s “business” and then there’s “Touchdown Tommy” the 6 time SB champ. Legend.

I don’t follow them at all and am as sick of them as everyone else outside of the Mass Turnpike but just putting it in perspective if one my teams had this situation I couldn’t see them letting the GOAT walk off and play for the Chargers or whatever. The local sentiment has to be to keep Brady.

I get that Bill is a soulless practitioner of the dark arts but even he can’t let Tommy walk.

7 minutes ago, msommer said:

Jarrett Stidham? Tell me about him

Hes a guy whom some scouts had as a first rounder prior to 2018 college season. He had a down 2018, largely due to the system. He has skills in spades. Was ripping up training camp. I certainly wouldnt ignore him

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, The General said:

There’s “business” and then there’s “Touchdown Tommy” the 6 time SB champ. Legend.

I don’t follow them at all and am as sick of them as everyone else outside of the Mass Turnpike but just putting it in perspective if one my teams had this situation I couldn’t see them letting the GOAT walk off and play for the Chargers or whatever. The local sentiment has to be to keep Brady.

I get that Bill is a soulless practitioner of the dark arts but even he can’t let Tommy walk.

Like I said in a different post, moving on from Brady would be a PR nightmare considering how invested Pats fans are in Brady regardless of his age or skills.  I believe the time has come for NE to look to the future and get a divorce.   He looks inaccurate and noodle armed to me.

Edited by JohnnyU
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyU said:

Like I said in a different post, moving on from Brady would be a PR nightmare, considering how invested Pats fans are in Brady regardless of his age or skills.  I believe the time has come for NE to look to the future and get a divorce.   He looks inaccurate and noodle armed to me.

Bill could give a damn about PR.

That said, Kraft probably will not allow Brady to walk even if Bill believes signing Brady is a poor value.

Just now, kyoun1e said:

Bill could give a damn about PR.

That said, Kraft probably will not allow Brady to walk even if Bill believes signing Brady is a poor value.

Kind of reminds me of the Garoppolo debacle. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Like I said in a different post, moving on from Brady would be a PR nightmare considering how invested Pats fans are in Brady regardless of his age or skills.  I believe the time has come for NE to look to the future and get a divorce.   He looks inaccurate and noodle armed to me.

He definitely looked pretty bad yesterday. 

Just now, The General said:

The Broncos won a Super Bowl despite John Elway and Payton Manning when it was obvious they were done.  Obviously NE isn't the kind of team that can overcome that.

46 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

Hes a guy whom some scouts had as a first rounder prior to 2018 college season. He had a down 2018, largely due to the system. He has skills in spades. Was ripping up training camp. I certainly wouldnt ignore him

He wont ever be a top qb in the league

4 minutes ago, The General said:

He made some nice throws, didn't think he looked bad.  Harry isn't good (at least right now), Edelman had a key drop.

Just now, JohnnyU said:

The Broncos won a Super Bowl despite John Elway and Payton Manning when it was obvious they were done.  Obviously NE isn't the kind of team that can overcome that.

Elway didn’t have a great RB. Don’t remember the Manning Broncos so much (other than the Hawks crushing them). Not sure what they had going on when they won but yeah Manning
was a shell of himself when they won.

I don’t watch a ton of NE football but their D got inflated numbers playing all the cupcakes early on and they have nothing on offense, like bottom third of the league. OLine is great but the rest of those guys...eeesh. Brady and scheme used to be able to get it done but this collection was really bad. Even young Brady may have struggled.

1 minute ago, The General said:

Elway didn’t have a great RB.

Uh.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Tool said:

He made some nice throws, didn't think he looked bad.  Harry isn't good (at least right now), Edelman had a key drop.

Edelman will be 34 next year and that is ancient for a WR.  Hopefully Harry steps up his game next year.  There are a lot of holes on the offensive side of the ball.  Will Goodell take away picks for the latest spygate incident?  If ever the Patriots needed draft picks it is now.

Edited by JohnnyU

2 minutes ago, The General said:

Elway didn’t have a great RB. Don’t remember the Manning Broncos so much (other than the Hawks crushing them). Not sure what they had going on when they won but yeah Manning
was a shell of himself when they won.

I don’t watch a ton of NE football but their D got inflated numbers playing all the cupcakes early on and they have nothing on offense, like bottom third of the league. OLine is great but the rest of those guys...eeesh. Brady and scheme used to be able to get it done but this collection was really bad. Even young Brady may have struggled.

Didn't the Broncos have all world Terrell Davis?

14 minutes ago, CalBear said:

Uh.

Lol. That was supposed to be “did”.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Edelman will be 34 next year and that is ancient for a WR.  Hopefully Harry steps up his game next year.  There are a lot of holes on the offensive side of the ball.  Will Goodell take away picks for the latest spygate incident?  If ever the Patriots needed draft picks it is now.

Guess is they lose a 5th or 6th for the taping plus the 2nd for Sanu. Neither of those things will help although they’ve drafted poorly at wr position historically anyway. Need to make a big play on free agency for both a #1 wr (maybe AJ Green) and a TE

Edited by Tool

1 hour ago, Dr. Dan said:

Is this the spin? That auburn system has had many successful seasons. Stidham was pretty bad that year. It wasn’t the system. 

23 minutes ago, Tool said:

It’s the downfield throws and he’s close to immobile. He’s ok physically and elite in knowledge and composure. With that collection around him anyone would struggle at times.

Mostly I think they keep him because he’s Tom freakin Brady and he’s not completely fallen off a cliff. 

4 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I hear Giselle has cellulite.

Say it ain’t so. 

Just now, The General said:

Say it ain’t so. 

And stretch marks.  Its so.

And it makes it more difficulty to overlook her man hands and Adams apple.

• Laughing 1

Just now, Ditkaless Wonders said:

And stretch marks.  Its so.

And it makes it more difficulty to overlook her man hands and Adams apple.

Look on the bright side for Brady, he's well into his 40s and his eyesight isn't what it used to be.

Posted (edited)

No worries for Brady.  I hear his retirement plan is going to be more or less the same as Secretariat's.  Yep, straws of the good stuff are starting at $100,000.00 with "direct deposit" being somewhat more.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

13 minutes ago, Capella said:

Is this the spin? That auburn system has had many successful seasons. Stidham was pretty bad that year. It wasn’t the system. 

I believe they dialed back the offense in a pretty big way from 2017 to 2018. His yards per attempt dropped significantly

31 minutes ago, The General said:

It’s the downfield throws and he’s close to immobile. He’s ok physically and elite in knowledge and composure. With that collection around him anyone would struggle at times.

Mostly I think they keep him because he’s Tom freakin Brady and he’s not completely fallen off a cliff. 

Fair enough, counter argument is who's he gonna throw it to downfield, and he's always been immobile

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

I believe they dialed back the offense in a pretty big way from 2017 to 2018. His yards per attempt dropped significantly

Yea my understanding was they did that because he couldn’t handle everything. Was used to a one-read offense at Baylor. 

Edited by Capella

4 minutes ago, Tool said:

Fair enough, counter argument is who's he gonna throw it to downfield, and he's always been immobile

Yeah his surrounding pieces are average to below average. But you can see his accuracy and strength is down. Him being a plodder is just highlighted when his guys can’t get open. He just has to crumple. 

That they aren’t realistically going to be able to upgrade greatly at those offensive skill positions and could perhaps get a guy that could move around and add that to the offensive would be the only even slightly compelling argument to let him walk.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JohnnyU said:

Horse hockey.  Elway was still really good his last year; he just had trouble staying healthy which is why he missed some games in the middle of the season. 

And while Peyton was done in 2015, they don't win the Super Bowl without him saving the Week 17 game against the Chargers (they would have been the 5 seed instead of the 1 had they lost that game). 

Edited by Ghost Rider

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

I take it your long on Stidham?  I think he was a good value pick and looked ok in the preseason but do you think he can be a good enough game manager to win 10÷ games with this offense ?  Think it may be a bit naively optimistic to think the Pats can plug and play a mid round pick and have him be their franchise QB of the future. I think they need to bring in a vet to buy Stidham more time 

Edited by elguapo07
Cuz

1 hour ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

No worries for Brady.  I hear his retirement plan is going to be more or less the same as Secretariat's.  Yep, straws of the good stuff are starting at $100,000.00 with "direct deposit" being somewhat more.

Already the best post of 2020.

• Thanks 1

According to ESPN's Jeff Darlington, it's "far from a guarantee" that impending free agent Tom Brady will return to the Patriots in 2020.

Brady was surprisingly noncommittal in his post-game remarks following Saturday's season-ending loss to Tennessee, only offering that he'll "explore those opportunities wherever they are." Brady reportedly feels a sense of "liberation" being able to choose his fate after spending the past 20 seasons under contract. Darlington also noted that if Brady does return for a 21st season in Foxboro, it would have to be a more "collaborative" effort than in years past. Retirement has not entered Brady's mind as the 42-year-old still believes he can play at a championship level. The three-time MVP labored through one of his worst seasons in 2019 but had little help around him with Julian Edelman, Mohamed Sanu, N'Keal Harry and Phillip Dorsett filling out the Patriots' pass-catching corps.

SOURCE: Jeff Darlington on Twitter

Jan 6, 2020, 10:34 AM ET

On 1/5/2020 at 10:34 AM, msommer said:

The problem with this strategy is that at some point Brady WON'T be on the roster. If Brady doesn't play in NE next year, they will have to eat a $13.5 million cap hit leftover for spacing out the cap hit from other contracts. With the proposed contract you just outlined, if they opted out after one year, NE would have to eat the original $13.5 million cap hit PLUS almost $20 million in the structure that you are proposing. So sure, they would get Brady for one more year . . . but in 2021 they would have to allocate $32 - $33 million toward the salary cap for Brady TO NOT EVEN BE ON THEIR ROSTER (if he only played a single season on that deal). Oh . . . and they would still need to find (and pay) a starting QB. That doesn't even remotely sound like something BB would ever do.

Thanks Tom. It's been terrific.

Tough to imagine him in another uniform but it sure seems like a few other teams will have a much more appealing roster than NE for 2020-2023.