Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
ComfortablyNumb

Official Tom Brady - bust alert (in 2013)

8 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

Rivers makes more sense than Brady as a bridge.

I don't think I'd sign Brady over flacco, Dalton, cam, Rivers, or Bridgewater. Probably others I'm not considering. 

I've been pretty vocal about saying Brady is in decline but he's still better than all of those guys (as a passer) and comes with a tremendous amount of playoff experience. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Haven't you been one of the most vocal people blaming the Pats o-line and weapons for Brady's struggles? Wouldn't the Colts top level o-line, TY Hilton, Jack Doyle and $86MM to add parts be a tremendous upgrade around Brady?

I have been vocal that if other top QBs had played in place of Brady in NE last season, their numbers would have been much lower than their normal numbers. IMO, Brady is smack dab in the middle of starting QB's and should be considered "average." I don't think he offers much more than Brissett does at this stage.

One thing we don't know is how Brady would adapt to a whole new world. New players, new coaches, new system, new plays, no familiar faces, no one with a shared history, etc. The last few years, Brady has practiced about as little as possible. He only showed up for things that were mandatory, skipped anything voluntary, and missed a ton of in season practice time. Going to a new team in a new environment, I am not sure that plan would be best for his new team. Combine that with his age and declining skills, and I am not sure Brady would add much to a lot of teams.

9 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

I have been vocal that if other top QBs had played in place of Brady in NE last season, their numbers would have been much lower than their normal numbers. IMO, Brady is smack dab in the middle of starting QB's and should be considered "average." I don't think he offers much more than Brissett does at this stage.

One thing we don't ks.now is how Brady would adapt to a whole new world. New players, new coaches, new system, new plays, no familiar faces, no one with a shared history, etc. The last few years, Brady has practiced about as little as possible. He only showed up for things that were mandatory, skipped anything voluntary, and missed a ton of in season practice time. Going to a new team in a new environment, I am not sure that plan would be best for his new team. Combine that with his age and declining skills, and I am not sure Brady would add much to a lot of team

You're trying to get too cute here and play semantics - because the bolded would also mean Brady's numbers would have been better if he was in those "other top QBs" situations. You can't only have it one way. The Colts would surely be a better situation, and by your standard Brissett was propped up by his situation and would have been worse in New England. Brady is clearly a better QB than Brissett who was very poor last season by all metrics.

As far as your second paragraph - if Brady made the decision to go elsewhere I think we should assume he would put in the work to get up too speed and make it work. If he's truly unhappy and felt disrespected in NE (and you posted an article a month back portraying how disrespected he felt and how insecure he is) maybe he just went through the motions because of said unhappiness.

Edited by Dr. Octopus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Octopus said:

You're trying to get too cute here to play both sides of the fence - because the bolded would also mean Brady's numbers would have been better if he was in those "other top QBs" situations. You can't only have it one way. The Colts would surely be a better situation, and by your standard Brissett was propped up by his situation and would have been worse in New England. Brady is clearly a better QB than Brissett who was very poor last season by all metrics.

As far as your second paragraph - if Brady made the decision to go elsewhere I think we should assume he would put in the work to get up too speed and make it work. If he's truly unhappy and felt disrespected in NE (and you posted an article a month back portraying how disrespected he felt and how insecure he is) maybe he just went through the motions because of said unhappiness.

Come up with whatever combination of players and outcomes you want. Brady in 2019 was an average QB that played with average to below average weapons. Put Mahomes, Brees, or Wilson on the Patriots last year and they would have performed worse than they would have on their own teams. Put Brady on the Chiefs and his numbers would have been better in NE (but still not as good as Mahomes).

Put a 43 year old Brady on the Raiders with those receivers and he will look like he did in 2019 in NE. Brissett had a 3-1 TD to INT ratio . . . just like Brady. He had an 88 passer rating . . . just like Brady. He had a 6.6 YPA . . . just like Brady. He had a 6.8 A/YPA . . . just like Brady. I didn't get to watch any Colts games, so I can't speak to how Brissett looked or how he performed. But many of his numbers were similar to Brady's.

I also can't speak to what Brissett had to work with. Once Hilton went done, who did Brissett have to throw to? I don't know much about Pascal or Hines. Would they be in the class of Dorsett and Harry? The main advantage Indy has is they could go out and buy Brady more help than the Patriots could.

As for Brady's more recent time spent away from NE, a lot of that has been attributed to demands by his wife as a compromise for him to keep playing. Clearly anything involving a new team is unexplored territory, so we really have nothing to go on in terms of what he would do or not do with regard to his hours and availability.

1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I've been pretty vocal about saying Brady is in decline but he's still better than all of those guys (as a passer) and comes with a tremendous amount of playoff experience. 

He'll almost certainly cost more than those guys. And I'm not convinced he's better now than those guys.  

1 hour ago, Anarchy99 said:

I also can't speak to what Brissett had to work with. Once Hilton went done, who did Brissett have to throw to? I don't know much about Pascal or Hines. Would they be in the class of Dorsett and Harry? The main advantage Indy has is they could go out and buy Brady more help than the Patriots could.

As someone who picked up Pascal in a pinch this season and needed to start him, I recall a game where Brissett was faced by an absolutely horrible secondary...

...and Reich decided to basically run it every damn play.

Suffice to say, Brissett had a lot of crap to throw to, just like Brady.

Appearing on the Rich Eisen Show last week, ESPN's Adam Schefter stated he expects the Titans to "be in the mix" for impending free agent Tom Brady.

Schefter started out his Titans-Brady discussion by stating his colleague at ESPN, Jeff Darlington, "basically handicapped the Titans as the favorite right now." Per Schefter, Darlington ordered the likelihood of destinations as Titans No. 1, Raiders No. 2, and Patriots No. 3. Schefter added the Chargers to the discussion as a long shot. Brady has obvious connections to the Titans, having played with coach Mike Vrabel in New England, while GM Jon Robinson was a former Patriots executive. The Titans are also a playoff-ready team Brady would be looking for if he were to leave New England. The Titans' quarterback situation is fascinating, with both Ryan Tannehill and Marcus Mariota slated for free agency.

RELATED: 

Tennessee Titans

SOURCE: Rich Eisen Show

Feb 24, 2020, 7:13 PM ET

On 2/18/2020 at 2:25 PM, Anarchy99 said:

One thing we don't know is how Brady would adapt to a whole new world. New players, new coaches, new system, new plays, no familiar faces, no one with a shared history, etc. The last few years, Brady has practiced about as little as possible. He only showed up for things that were mandatory, skipped anything voluntary, and missed a ton of in season practice time. Going to a new team in a new environment, I am not sure that plan would be best for his new team. Combine that with his age and declining skills, and I am not sure Brady would add much to a lot of teams.

Don't want to pile on, but do agree with Dr O in that u seem to contradict urself a bit here but moving on. We disagree that Brady is average (ie mediocre) and I feel he would be a huge upgrade over the likes of Brissett, Tanneyhill for a "contending" team.

Imho u appear to go a bit too far at times when trashing brady's practice habits and in some cases ur blanket statements r not really fair.  https://www.patspulpit.com/2019/5/26/18640615/new-england-patriots-otas-tom-brady-workout-julian-edelman-nkeal-harry

We don't know how he would adapt?

Are u really implying that if he signs with a new team he is going to be some lazy malcontent (as u portray him) rather than work his ### off to prove the world wrong one last time?

I have watched the guy for 20 yrs and im pretty confident if he goes to a new tm and fails it sure as hell won't be from a lack of effort (not going to work hard malcontent stuff).

Edited by NE_REVIVAL
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, NE_REVIVAL said:

Are u really implying that if he signs with a new team he is going to be some lazy malcontent (as u portray him) rather than work his ### off to prove the world wrong one last time

Say what you want about him or his decline but one thing no one can deny is his drive and work ethic. If he goes elsewhere it will be to show up the Pats and he'll be motivated.

• Like 3

ESPN's Jeff Darlington said Thursday, "I’m now at the point where I would be stunned if Tom Brady went back to New England."

The Titans, Raiders and Chargers are reportedly the top three suitors for Brady. 2019 marked his worst statistical season since 2013 and before then 2006. In all three instances the Patriots were fairly depleted of talent in the passing game. It's not like Brady was suddenly rendered mute on deep balls: he was one of 14 QBs to post a QB Rating over 100 on passes thrown at least 20 yards downfield (PFF). Yes, he led the league in throwaways (40) and posted the third-highest rate of bad throws (Pro Football Reference) ... but he also had to deal with the seventh-highest drop rate. The GOAT isn't washed just yet, although the days of him elevating a porous supporting cast might be over. This will be the main free agency story line to watch moving forward.

https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/status/1233021800247898114

Saw a great feature where they brought up Tampa Bay as an attractive landing spot. Immediately the best group of WRs Brady would have ever worked with but that O-line...

Edited by The Frankman

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Patriots have "not really engaged" impending free agent Tom Brady on a new contract.

It builds on Jeff Darlington's Thursday morning report that Brady is "currently operating under the belief" he will be playing elsewhere in 2020. Per Rapsheet, Brady's agent is meeting with nearly every quarterback-needy team at the Combine, including the Chargers, Raiders and Colts. Rapsheet does not report if those meetings are Brady specific. Perhaps this is the last bit of scuttlebutt before the sides finally reunite, but it is quite possible the reports need to be taken at face value and Brady is moving on.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Feb 27, 2020, 1:24 PM ET

LINK

Peter King has a source saying Brady is coming back. The fact is, no one really knows at this point. For every 10 insiders thinking he will leave, there are 10 that insist he isn’t leaving. 

Here is my view of what is going on at the moment . . .

NE seems to have told TB to talk to other teams and see what he could get for a contract. I suspect he (or his agent) will talk to teams during the combine. The Patriots apparently have not approached Brady about extending him and are biding their time. Behind the scenes, NE is coming up with alternatives (trades, free agents, rookies, Stidham) and running simulations on how that would impact the team (this year, next few years, salary cap ramifications, who else they could sign at other positions with more money to spend, etc.).

I believe the recent wave of Brady-is-leaving-NE reports is coming from Camp Brady because they haven't heard from the Pats or BB and their mood is a little pensive. That likely is not sitting well with them and without the Pats to talk to . . . Brady will talk to other teams. I would guess NE is going to approach TB12 a week before free agency and see if there is common ground. And then we will see if the rubber hits the road and who blanks in a high level game of chicken.

I think BB actually views Brady as the best short term option if he comes at a decent price. I see Kraft as not wanting to let Brady go and would back up 2 Brinks Trucks to keep him. I think Brady doesn't really want to go elsewhere, but I don't think he will get what he wants (multi-year guaranteed deal, more weapons, more input on play calling and team building, etc.).

I also think Brady talking to other teams may get him an offer with a lot more of what he wants (more money, more years, more guarantees, more weapons on offense, better promises, more respect, etc.). At some point NE is going to say, "Tom, this is what we can do for you . . . and we've really gone above and beyond to even over you that." So Brady will either take less from NE (again) or take what's behind Door #2 (which is likely a better option). It may come down to Brady having to pick from a 3-year, $100 million deal with $75 million guaranteed from TEAM X . . . or a 2-year, $45 million deal with $30 million guaranteed from NE (or something in the middle from TEAM Y).

As I mentioned several times before, I don't think this is all about the money. Brady wants the Pats to give him the keys to the kingdom and promise that he will be the guy for at least 2 more years, possibly 3. I just don't think BB wants to do that. I don't think Brady has made a decision yet, and I don't think the Patriots have fully put together a best offer. I also don't think NE is done figuring out what the other options and permutations are. But I think we will see this escalate and a decision will be made in 10-14 days.

6 hours ago, The Frankman said:

https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/status/1233021800247898114

Saw a great feature where they brought up Tampa Bay as an attractive landing spot. Immediately the best group of WRs Brady would have ever worked with but that O-line...

Nothing against Winston but I'd rather he get killed behind that line. He's much younger.

18 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Nothing against Winston but I'd rather he get killed behind that line. He's much younger.

Brady gets rid of the ball so fast, it's helped prop up every OL he's ever played behind. It's a big part of his game if any team he's on just has a good enough interior OL to allow him room to step up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Tom Brady "is in fact in the Patriots' plans."

Rapsheet is building off his own report from earlier Thursday, where he said the Pats have "not really engaged" their franchise icon. The Pats have since leaked the spin that it's because they are waiting on the new collective bargaining agreement, but that does not explain what sounds like an almost total lack of communication. Brady's agent is talking with other teams at the Combine. Rapsheet's colleague Mike Silver believes Brady is bolting New England and reports the Chargers and Raiders are "gearing up" for a run.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Feb 27, 2020, 4:57 PM ET

NFL Network's Mike Silver reports the Chargers and Raiders are "gearing up" for a run at impending free agent Tom Brady.

They have been Brady's two most obvious suitors all along, so it is hardly surprising. Silver would also "absolutely not rule out" the Titans, while he thinks the Bucs are "very seriously thinking about this." Silver's colleague Ian Rapoport reported earlier Thursday that Brady's agent will talk to the Raiders and Chargers at the Combine, as well as the Colts. The Titans have been mentioned in other quarters. Silver believes TB12 is leaving New England. That seems to be growing a little more likely with each passing day.

RELATED: 

Tennessee Titans

, Las Vegas Raiders

, Los Angeles Chargers

, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: Mike Silver on Twitter

Feb 27, 2020, 4:41 PM ET

Lots of tidbits and rumors and talk of Brady to the Titans today

45 minutes ago, Bri said:

Lots of tidbits and rumors and talk of Brady to the Titans today

How do you feel about that as opposed to doubling down with the groove they found with Tannehill? Tough to ignore the GOAT being available even at his age, I'm sure. 

7 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

I think BB actually views Brady as the best short term option if he comes at a decent price. I see Kraft as not wanting to let Brady go and would back up 2 Brinks Trucks to keep him. I think Brady doesn't really want to go elsewhere, but I don't think he will get what he wants (multi-year guaranteed deal, more weapons, more input on play calling and team building, etc.).

I could be wrong of course, but I'm not convinced Brady thinks the pats right now are the best team for him. Unless they're able to work some magic and get him some decent receivers.

The top options seem to be either throwing to arguably the best trio in the NFL (Evans, Godwin and yes I'm including Howard if used as a receiver) or for his buddy Mike on an otherwise SB contending team. 

When did the last truly great QB play for the same team his whole career? 

Pains me greatly to say but the more i have thought about it the more i think he goes to Ten. I don't think he cares much about the money at all as much as he cares about the team being all in and i dont see BB going all in at this point. I really, really hope it doesn't happen but my gut tells me Ten has all the ingredients and may even already be pretty much a done deal.

Edited by NE_REVIVAL

Pats may be waiting / hoping for new CBA to get voted in. Would help them for salary cap management reasons. 

LINK

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

How do you feel about that as opposed to doubling down with the groove they found with Tannehill? Tough to ignore the GOAT being available even at his age, I'm sure. 

Henry seems a lock to return now.

There's a hypocrisy of how they "can't" afford Tannehill but could Brady. Everything I read (a while ago, but still) was Brady was looking to cash in.

The QB market is weird right now and has to flesh out some. It seems you either pay a cheap rookie or 25mil+ and that's a huge gap. Every new CBA year always sees spikes so it probably won't even out til 2021. 

I don't think it's difficult to play QB for the Titans when Henry is rolling in a regular season game. When he is in a playoff game or late season game, there must be good QB play. It might be four key passes or twenty but if they're not completed, the Titans aren't winning. 

Right tackle is a big hole especially with the starting TE likely cut. That's not nothing and I'm sure Brady is aware.

Tannehill is what everyone knows, he was highly questionable and then wow good last year. Brady is the GOAT. It's not close and anyone that thinks it is, is still riding the high from 2019. I don't know if Tannehill will be special the next ten years and that's probably the most important Q here.

The Titans offense has been brutally bad several games every year for at least a decade. What Tom could see and share and improve could be invaluable toward future success. He IS one of the greatest minds to ever play QB.

Brady had a real good time with Arthur Smith last summer and most were saying it was he not Vrabel who Brady was always gabbing with during their training camp practices.

The Titans cut several players that Brady and Belichick were impressed with including Anthony Ratliff Williams, and a couple DBs, and then trading Taywan Taylor for peanuts. They dominated the intersquad practice and ya gotta wonder how Brady feels about that. Maybe it's OK that neither succeeded elsewhere. The Titans have recently been a very bad team, so Brady will certainly want to have some (false, but even if imagined) assurance that they can build a quality team. Again, they have 22 free agents this year.

Jurrell Casey has long been a fascination of the Patriots (and many teams). He is supposedly on the trading block and I will (along with Titans fans) flip straight out if he is not on the Titans. Brady and he have been seen at pro bowls and get along well and all sorts of good. I imagine Casey staying matters to Brady.

I know it's defense, but Brady probably needs to see everything secure to sign there. That Vrabel won't own the DC position completely or give it up to Haslett is probably a negative.

Brady and his wife looking at schools. Another report of his wife looking at houses. Vrabel saying they discussed retiring in TEN and how several former players have done so and/or have a house there. 

Vrabel saying how he wonders if the Titans will believe in Brady like they did Tannehill would be foolish in any other context than he's letting them know it could happen. I mean does anyone doubt Brady can win a Superbowl? Of course not. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

But Brady will?

Is Tannehill looking for a 10 year deal? 

IMO this is looking at Brady for one season, or Tannehill for 3-5 seasons and kind of know what you got for the next 3 seasons or so 

If they sign Brady I would fully expect them to go for a qb this draft. they will need one on a rookie deal in 2021 if they are going to pay Henry 

Brady is getting two years guaranteed money 

1 hour ago, Dr. Dan said:

But Brady will?

IMO this is looking at Brady for one season, or Tannehill for 3-5 seasons and kind of know what you got for the next 3 seasons or so 

If they sign Brady I would fully expect them to go for a qb this draft. they will need one on a rookie deal in 2021 if they are going to pay Henry 

It's  difficult with QBs. Soandso can stink as a rookie, be pretty good as a second year QB, and then rock in his third year and we expect them to stay at that level. 

One could argue Tannehill is the better option here because he'll play til he's X years old and Brady only two years. It's difficult though to forget, ignore, discard that he struggled most of his career.....but then we're back to how QBs develop and pretty much stay at the level they peak at til they're old. It's tricky, no doubt.

They have to add four QBs probably with some consideration to keeping three. They have zero under contract. I expect a couple free agents, a later QB in the draft, and a UDFA or XFL guy.

The Athletic's Stephen Holder reports the Colts have yet to talk with impending free agent Tom Brady's camp.

Brady has been loosely connected to the Colts in recent days, but this isn't the first refutation of the rumor. Holder adds the Colts could still express interest in the future. Whereas cold water has been thrown on the Brady/Colts rumors, the opposite is true when it comes to the Chargers and Raiders.

RELATED: 

Indianapolis Colts

SOURCE: The Athletic

Feb 28, 2020, 12:49 AM ET

Latest odds for where Brady ends up from Fan Duel. 

NEP -125
TEN +380
LVR +500
LAC +600
NYG +1000
TBB +1100
DAL +2900
MIA +2900
IND +3400
SFO +3400
Retire +3700
CHI +4800
CAR +6000

• Like 2

Total :tinfoilhat:, but Brady has reportedly been vegan for a while hasn't he? It's one of the things attributed to his longevity, and the Titans have a big vegan movement among their players (see the documentary The Game Changers.) Weren't there reports a year or two ago about bad blood because Brady wanted to work out with his own trainers and follow his own training regimen? Maybe the Titans culture embracing this stuff holds some appeal...

And now back to your regularly scheduled program and most likely considerations like money, offensive weapons and former friends as coaches that probably are much bigger factors....

• Like 1
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, -OZ- said:

I could be wrong of course, but I'm not convinced Brady thinks the pats right now are the best team for him. Unless they're able to work some magic and get him some decent receivers.

The top options seem to be either throwing to arguably the best trio in the NFL (Evans, Godwin and yes I'm including Howard if used as a receiver) or for his buddy Mike on an otherwise SB contending team. 

Not serious answer: Eli Manning

Serious answer: Dan Marino/John Elway

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dhockster said:

Not serious answer: Eli Manning

Serious answer: Dan Marino/John Elway

Right, which is over 20 years ago.  

8 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

But Brady will?

Probably, but maybe not with their first, which is too low to get one of the top prospects anyway.

A guy like Bryce Perkins or Jake luton could have mid-late draft appeal.

On 2/28/2020 at 1:48 PM, Buckna said:

Total :tinfoilhat:, but Brady has reportedly been vegan for a while hasn't he? It's one of the things attributed to his longevity, and the Titans have a big vegan movement among their players (see the documentary The Game Changers.) Weren't there reports a year or two ago about bad blood because Brady wanted to work out with his own trainers and follow his own training regimen? Maybe the Titans culture embracing this stuff holds some appeal...

And now back to your regularly scheduled program and most likely considerations like money, offensive weapons and former friends as coaches that probably are much bigger factors....

Paraphrasing here: There were issues with Brady's trainer and training routine which emphasizes elasticity\pliability over weight lifting. I dont think there was a problem with Brady training the way he wanted but the coaching staff (ie BB) was not happy that some of the other players (I believe Gronk was 1) began doing it and using less weights. So yes fwiw, there was some bad blood over that and how they treated his trainer and vice versa I suppose.

On 2/27/2020 at 10:03 PM, -OZ- said:

Luck

Rodgers and Ben are expected to.

Likely Stafford (stretching the definition of “great” here, but easily the greatest Loins QB ever)

A fan behind Brady and Edelman at Syracuse game posted a video of Vrabel face-timing them on Twitter.

Vrabel better watch it. I don't want to lose a pick to tampering and if it is commissioner's discretion, what's Brady/GOAT tampering worth? Just be careful Vrabel

2 hours ago, tangfoot said:

Luck

Likely Stafford (stretching the definition of “great” here, but easily the greatest Loins QB ever)

Luck didn't play long enough. He was great when he played. 

Calling Ben truly great is a stretch. Calling Stafford truly great is crazy. 

We'll see about Rodgers. 

12 hours ago, tangfoot said:

Luck

Luck was a blip in football terms.

13 hours ago, Bri said:

A fan behind Brady and Edelman at Syracuse game posted a video of Vrabel face-timing them on Twitter.

Vrabel better watch it. I don't want to lose a pick to tampering and if it is commissioner's discretion, what's Brady/GOAT tampering worth? Just be careful Vrabel

I've read (Darlington? nfl.com?) that NE is unlikely to be interested in any tampering allegations as they want feedback from Brady asap on his future plans.

Also not sure what the standard is for coach A and player B being friends / former teammates in a tampering regulations context.

Lastly, the video shows Vrabel facetiming Edelman with Brady sitting next to Edelman.  Tampering with Edelman?  #torturedhypothetical.

• Like 1

NE wants the Brady situation settled ASAP.  It has been speculated that they have told Brady’s agent to shop around and they will discuss things the week before he is set to become a FA. So I highly doubt the Pats have any interest in filing a tampering claim. They want Brady back or moving to another team. The worst option is him being in limbo. If he hits free agency, they have to eat his remaining cap hit. If he stays a free agent for awhile, they will miss out on other options. 

• Like 1

ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss believes "nothing has definitively changed" regarding Tom Brady's future with the Patriots.

This falls in line with reports the Patriots have "not really engaged" in Brady talks. That should change ahead of the legal tampering period later this month, but whether Brady wants to return and how much New England is willing to pay remains up in the air. The Chargers and Raiders are the top landing spots for Brady if the Patriots let him walk.

SOURCE: ESPN Boston

Mar 1, 2020, 9:04 AM ET

2 hours ago, SeniorVBDStudent said:

I've read (Darlington? nfl.com?) that NE is unlikely to be interested in any tampering allegations as they want feedback from Brady asap on his future plans.

Also not sure what the standard is for coach A and player B being friends / former teammates in a tampering regulations context.

Lastly, the video shows Vrabel facetiming Edelman with Brady sitting next to Edelman.  Tampering with Edelman?  #torturedhypothetical.

I don't know either. I saw it as Edelman holding the phone so the two of them could chat with him. I don't want to nitpick this though, Vrabel has been talking a lot lately (a change from "we can't talk about players under contract with another team") and I just want him to be careful. 

There have been a lot of Pats in Nashville this offseason. It's a famous getaway for Northeast people and they've got some players from there etc. It can easily be explained with other intentions. Even if Brady and family have dinner with Vrabel and family, similar to what you said- why can't two friends have dinner and visit?

I think the Pats are totally "allowed" to change their minds too. They may say that now, but what about when (if) Brady leaves? No one would fault them for being bitter.

There's a lot of "be careful Vrabel" feelings for me lately. I don't know that he's done anything wrong, but he sure seems to be walking a tightrope.

If I were Belichick, I'd grab my buddy Saban and say let's have dinner with (your former player that you keep in touch with) Derrick Henry.  That would be a nice zing to all this "we're friends" stuff.

I wonder how the other 30 teams feel. If Brady signs right away with TEN, will the Chargers be grumpy they didn't even get a chance to pitch Brady's agent? Isn't it an open market?

I just want Vrabel to be careful is all. His giant ego loves attention and it's a bad setting for him

17 hours ago, -OZ- said:

Calling Ben truly great is a stretch

Sure fire first-ballot HOF

• Like 1

17 hours ago, -OZ- said:

Calling Ben truly great is a stretch

26 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

Really? Both he and Eli never received a single vote for regular season MVP. Not even one. Maybe that matters, maybe it doesn’t. 

The next 43 year old to get 1,000 yards passing in a season will be the first in league history. Vinny Testaverde had 952 passing yards at age 44 (to go along with a 5.56 YPA and a 65.8 passer rating).

6 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

The next 43 year old to get 1,000 yards passing in a season will be the first in league history. Vinny Testaverde had 952 passing yards at age 44 (to go along with a 5.56 YPA and a 65.8 passer rating).

I'm confident Tom Brady can throw for 1001 yards in 2020.

3 hours ago, tangfoot said:

Maybe. But is that equal to "truly great"? To me, those are the guys worth mentioning in the GOAT discussions.

Current QBs I'd include in the truly great list are Brady and Brees.  Probably Rodgers. Others like Wilson and Mahomes can make it with time.