What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hernandez convicted of first-degree murder; found deceased in his cell. (3 Viewers)

wouldn't her best course of action is distance herself and sue him for child support? Hernandez is going to get cleaned out
Perhaps if she didn't love him or care about the future of her child's father. It's probably the easy financial answer but not likely the human emotion based one.

Aaron Hernandez grand jury to hear from alleged shooting victim

Associated Press

HARTFORD, Conn. -- A Connecticut man who says he lost an eye after being shot by Aaron Hernandez in February was ordered Friday to appear before a grand jury in Massachusetts that is considering the murder case against the former New England Patriots tight end.

Superior Court Judge Joan Alexander in Hartford ordered Alexander Bradley to appear July 17 in Fall River, Mass., where a grand jury is looking into allegations Hernandez orchestrated the shooting of Odin Lloyd.

Lloyd, a 27-year-old semi-pro football player for the Boston Bandits, was found slain June 17 near Hernandez's home in North Attleboro, Mass. Prosecutors say Hernandez arranged Lloyd's shooting because he was upset at him for talking to certain people at the club.

Hernandez has been charged with murder in district court in Massachusetts, but a grand jury indictment or probable cause hearing would be necessary for him to face trial on felony charges. Hernandez has pleaded not guilty.

The Bristol County district attorney's office in Massachusetts said it could not comment on any grand jury investigation.

Bradley, 33, has filed a civil lawsuit against Hernandez, asserting he was shot in the face by the former player in February as they were driving in Florida after arguing in a Miami nightclub.

At the time, he told police he did not know who had shot him.

Bradley had been fighting an interstate grand jury subpoena, asserting he needed to return to Florida for medical treatment on July 10.

Attorney Robert Pickering argued Friday that Bradley's civil case has nothing to do with the Massachusetts investigation.

"The Commonwealth of Massachusetts is relying on a statement of a lawyer of Mr. Bradley that these crimes are strikingly similar to the crime in the Hernandez matter," he said. "Clearly this petition states that my client has never stated that."

Alexander found that Bradley's medical treatment should not prevent him from being in Massachusetts a week later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Billy Ball Thorton said:
Another fine example of a cop overstepping his authority. Marriage is permitted by law, the sheriff is a law enforcement official, not a law maker. To be honest, the sheriff should not be interfering in his marriage in or out of jail. He has not been convicted of anything yet, and marriage is not a privilege, it's a right. But, he should know that, he is in law enforcement.
Blah blah blah blah blah.

You go on with your bad self. Clever guy.
Another fine example of a cop overstepping his authority. Marriage is permitted by law, the sheriff is a law enforcement official, not a law maker. To be honest, the sheriff should not be interfering in his marriage in or out of jail. He has not been convicted of anything yet, and marriage is not a privilege, it's a right. But, he should know that, he is in law enforcement.

You go on with your liberal bad self. Clever guy.

Billy Ball Thorton said:
Billy Ball Thorton said:
Phenix said:

Phenix said:

How does Phenix saying that a sherrif should follow the law make him a liberal? Or is it that you're thinking you don't like what he said and you are not a liberal so he must be?

TIA

Billy Ball Thorton said:
Billy Ball Thorton said:
Phenix said:

Phenix said:

How does Phenix saying that a sherrif should follow the law make him a liberal? Or is it that you're thinking you don't like what he said and you are not a liberal so he must be?

TIA
not sure what citizens rights get taken away from you have once you have been arrested and placed in holding, the sheriff probably does have to sign off on them getting married while Hernandez is in his cell. If he was released on bail it might be a different story.

Here's my thoughts. What is significant about the timing of the marriage?

If Hernandez is innocent, then why not wait a couple of years to have a real wedding and get married? I'm sure when his fiance dreamed of her ideal wedding, it didn't involve grey bars.

If Hernandez is guilty, then why rush the wedding? Unless there is the option of her being unable to testify. Or to hide assets.

The sheriff could just rule to delay the wedding, not deny it. They are free to get married after the trial has concluded.

Here's my thoughts. What is significant about the timing of the marriage?

If Hernandez is innocent, then why not wait a couple of years to have a real wedding and get married? I'm sure when his fiance dreamed of her ideal wedding, it didn't involve grey bars.

If Hernandez is guilty, then why rush the wedding? Unless there is the option of her being unable to testify. Or to hide assets.

The sheriff could just rule to delay the wedding, not deny it. They are free to get married after the trial has concluded.
I agree with this. I also wonder what's in it for his fiance at this point to go through with the marriage. Does she really want to live her life married to a convicted murderer or is there some financial benefit to her and her child if they get married and divorced later.

I have no love for Meyer or the Gators but how does some failed drug tests that were covered up 4 to 7 years ago, if they were, connected in anyway to this guy most likely killing someone?

Is the media really trying to make this Florida and Meyer's fault because they covered up a few failed drug tests for a star athlete at a major university?

I guess no other university ever did this and the guy went on to not be a murderer. Unless I am misinterpreting the article I read.

I have no love for Meyer or the Gators but how does some failed drug tests that were covered up 4 to 7 years ago, if they were, connected in anyway to this guy most likely killing someone?

Is the media really trying to make this Florida and Meyer's fault because they covered up a few failed drug tests for a star athlete at a major university?

I guess no other university ever did this and the guy went on to not be a murderer. Unless I am misinterpreting the article I read.
Guessing Meyer probably was aware that Hernandez and R. Nelson shot up a car and tried to kill 3 people. Meyer is win it all cost trash.

There was no covered up drug tests. The NCAA does the testing, not the schools. Players are required to pull their pants down below their knees as an NCAA trained employee watches the pee come out. The sample is immediately handed to the employee at the urinal, usually before the player completes urination.

Guessing Meyer probably was aware that Hernandez and R. Nelson shot up a car and tried to kill 3 people. Meyer is win it all cost trash.
C'mon dude. It's possibe to hate Florida and not become completely unhinged.

C'mon dude. It's possibe to hate Florida and not become completely unhinged.
I don't hate Florida at all. Far from it.

It's also possible to be a fan of Florida and not have your head completely up Meyer's bunghole too.

Report: Aaron Hernandez never failed drug test with PatriotsBy Will Brinson | NFL Writer

Much has been made recently of Aaron Hernandez past at Florida. As the former Patriots tight end sits in jail, facing a murder charge, every speck of trouble from his past bubbles up to be scrutinized by the seething public.

It's worth noting, then, in the interest of being fair, that Hernandez was never a problem for New England once they drafted him. Ben Volin of the Boston Globe wrote as much in his Sunday notes column, including making the point that Hernandez never failed a drug test while playing for the Pats.

"For three years in New England, Hernandez did everything Bill Belichick asked of him football-wise, according to a team source," Volin writes. "He showed up to meetings and practices on time, practiced hard, stayed in shape, was very coachable, and starred on the field, scoring 18 touchdowns in three seasons.

"Just as importantly, he didn't fail one NFL drug test in three seasons."

This isn't necessarily shocking news: Hernandez never missed time or was in trouble for off-field issues in the NFL prior to this offseason. If a high-profile player with red flags in his past like Hernandez was failing drug tests, it stands to reason that it would've become public knowledge. Nonetheless, it does serve as a reminder that seeing this coming for Hernandez is a lot easier with the benefit of hindsight.

It also doesn't mean that everything was sunshine and roses when it came to Hernandez. There were obviously problems in his life when he came out of Florida. Urban Meyer can say whatever he wants, but the reality is Hernandez fell to the fourth round of the draft for a reason.

Clearly part of it had to do with the people that Hernandez spent time with off the field.

In fact, Volin also reports in his Sunday piece that Hernandez "would tune out and occasionally become angry when a coach or employee suggested he stop hanging out with some of his old friends."

That's a theme as old as time itself: tough kid bristling at authority figures who tell him to find better friends. It's also not a stunner that Hernandez wouldn't be thrilled at the idea of turning a cold shoulder on his childhood friends.

But for a kid who appeared to spend so much time rehabilitating his image and his life after turning pro his refusal to do so may have ended up being his own undoing.

I am not sure what the positive drug tests have to do with Hernandez going out and murdering people. Maybe Hernandez should have smoked more pot; it might have mellowed him out.

He has already lost many of his rights. Not yet Being convicted has little to do with it. Can he come and go as pleases? Can he eat what he pleases? Can he watch on TV what he pleases? Can he just call who he pleases?

Once his bail was denied he was determined to great a risk to be granted any rights until his trial is over.

He has already lost many of his rights. Not yet Being convicted has little to do with it. Can he come and go as pleases? Can he eat what he pleases? Can he watch on TV what he pleases? Can he just call who he pleases?

Once his bail was denied he was determined to great a risk to be granted any rights until his trial is over.
This

Media being media...but Meyer certainly has a bad rep for letting his stars do whatever they wanted, with no consequences.

Media being media...but Meyer certainly has a bad rep for letting his stars do whatever they wanted, with no consequences.
I agree with you but every time I hear or read something about the Meyer/Hernandez connection it just feels like the media is trying to spin it into "Well if Meyer would have kept a tighter leash this wouldn't have happened" Maybe I am reading too much into it, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

http://mrsec.com/2013/07/new-york-times-34-of-floridas-2008-team-has-been-arrested/

A roster on the university’s Web site lists 121 players, 41 of whom have been arrested, either in college or afterward, and sometimes both. That number included 16 players on that season’s final two-deep roster, nine of whom were starters, as well as a kicker, punter and returner. Several of those players went on to the N.F.L., and one, Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton, later won the Heisman Trophy playing for Auburn.

Pretty much sounds like every football program from high school on thru the pros. :shrug:

Pretty much sounds like every football program from high school on thru the pros. :shrug:
Did you see the article I linked above? 34% of Meyers '08 team had an arrest. That's not the norm.

Did you see the article I linked above? 34% of Meyers '08 team had an arrest. That's not the norm.
To be fair, that number includes arrests after college when Meyer had little influence and no responsibility.

41% of Americans have been arrested by age 23.

Hell of a leap to equate that to him letting his players murder people.

Jesus, if Meyer knew, he would probably be dead now, too.

http://mrsec.com/2013/07/new-york-times-34-of-floridas-2008-team-has-been-arrested/

A roster on the university’s Web site lists 121 players, 41 of whom have been arrested, either in college or afterward, and sometimes both. That number included 16 players on that season’s final two-deep roster, nine of whom were starters, as well as a kicker, punter and returner. Several of those players went on to the N.F.L., and one, Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton, later won the Heisman Trophy playing for Auburn.
Arrested for what?? A ton of people I know have been arrested for underage drinking (big whoop, nothing happens when you are under 18).

It would help to know what the arrests were for. Shoot, half my friends on national honor society were arrested once.

edit..............says it all

That's being a bit of an alarmist.

In the study, Brame and his colleagues analyzed responses to a national survey of more than 7,000 young people between 1997 and 2008. They found that between 25 and 41 percent of the respondents reported one arrest by the age of 23; 16 to 27 percent of the respondents reported being arrested by age 18
Interviewing 7000 people over 10 years does not equate to 41% of Americans being arrested by the age of 23.

That's being a bit of an alarmist.

In the study, Brame and his colleagues analyzed responses to a national survey of more than 7,000 young people between 1997 and 2008. They found that between 25 and 41 percent of the respondents reported one arrest by the age of 23; 16 to 27 percent of the respondents reported being arrested by age 18
Interviewing 7000 people over 10 years does not equate to 41% of Americans being arrested by the age of 23.
What a bunch of BS. I don't even think 41% ever even went to after school detention.

So 34% of a football team getting arrested is the norm?

Are articles like this also the norm...discussing how character issues gutted the most powerful program in the country...and were 'fueled by a culture Meyer created'?

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-04-09/urban-meyer-florida-ohio-state-ncaa-violation-recruiting-drugs-program-will-musc

Meyers influence over AHs path is getting blown out of proportion...but I don't think he received enough criticism when he left UF either.

You are all grasping. How is this Meyer's fault? Or UF? Or the Patriots?

Stop looking for people to blame other than the person who did the act.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/aclu-concerned-aaron-hernandez-being-treated-prison-003203774.html

The American Civil Liberties Union is concerned about Aaron Hernandez's accommodations in prison as the former New England Patriots tight end waits for his murder trial to start.

In a blog post on ACLU.org, the group expresses concern about the damage being done to Hernandez as he is placed in protective custody, also known as solitary confinement – which the ACLU argues can do more damage than good. It cites international communities "that recognize solitary confinement as a form of torture."

"Regardless of what you think of
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/24088Aaron Hernandez
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/24088, it's important to take a minute and remember he has not yet been convicted — in the eyes of the law, he is still innocent until proven guilty," ACLU.org wrote. "But, while awaiting trial, he has been locked alone in a small room with little or no human interaction for over 20 hours a day."
Hernandez could be waiting many months for his trial to begin. Some believe it could take a year. He was denied bail, and then denied again on appeal with the judge citing the strength of the prosecution's evidence and the risk of Hernandez fleeing. He was reportedly being kept away from the general prison population for his safety. The ACLU worries about him being kept in a cell the "size of a parking spot."

The ACLU discusses the "debilitating psychological effects" when a prisoner is extremely isolated. The group uses Hernandez's case to bring attention to the 80,000 cases of solitary confinement of prisoners, saying that it drastically diminishes the chances of rehabilitation. It says that some studies show prisoners released from extreme isolation have higher rates of repeating criminal behavior.

Hernandez hasn't had a ton of public support since he was arrested in connection with the killing of Odin Lloyd. Former teammate Deion Branch, rapper Snoop Lion and the ACLU pretty much comprise the list now. While his former teammates with the Patriots go through the 2013 season, Hernandez will have plenty of time to think about his circumstances in less-than-ideal conditions. The

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/aclu-concerned-aaron-hernandez-being-treated-prison-003203774.html

The American Civil Liberties Union is concerned about Aaron Hernandez's accommodations in prison as the former New England Patriots tight end waits for his murder trial to start.

In a blog post on ACLU.org, the group expresses concern about the damage being done to Hernandez as he is placed in protective custody, also known as solitary confinement – which the ACLU argues can do more damage than good. It cites international communities "that recognize solitary confinement as a form of torture."

"Regardless of what you think of
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/24088Aaron Hernandez
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/24088, it's important to take a minute and remember he has not yet been convicted — in the eyes of the law, he is still innocent until proven guilty," ACLU.org wrote. "But, while awaiting trial, he has been locked alone in a small room with little or no human interaction for over 20 hours a day."
Hernandez could be waiting many months for his trial to begin. Some believe it could take a year. He was denied bail, and then denied again on appeal with the judge citing the strength of the prosecution's evidence and the risk of Hernandez fleeing. He was reportedly being kept away from the general prison population for his safety. The ACLU worries about him being kept in a cell the "size of a parking spot."

The ACLU discusses the "debilitating psychological effects" when a prisoner is extremely isolated. The group uses Hernandez's case to bring attention to the 80,000 cases of solitary confinement of prisoners, saying that it drastically diminishes the chances of rehabilitation. It says that some studies show prisoners released from extreme isolation have higher rates of repeating criminal behavior.

Hernandez hasn't had a ton of public support since he was arrested in connection with the killing of Odin Lloyd. Former teammate Deion Branch, rapper Snoop Lion and the ACLU pretty much comprise the list now. While his former teammates with the Patriots go through the 2013 season, Hernandez will have plenty of time to think about his circumstances in less-than-ideal conditions. The
Boo Hoo.

Lloyd is spending the rest of his days in something much smaller.

"Regardless of what you think of Aaron Hernandez, it's important to take a minute and remember he has not yet been convicted — in the eyes of the law, he is still innocent until proven guilty," ACLU.org wrote. "But, while awaiting trial, he has been locked alone in a small room with little or no human interaction for over 20 hours a day."

I have a feeling this is just the start of his lawyers trying to spin this into Hernandez being a victim. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a nice donation by Hernandez's lawyers to the ACLU, before this was wrote. Next he will have former gang members or current that will testify how he tried to get out but couldn't and if he didn't go through with the murder his life and family's life would be at risk. Next there will be an expert saying he isn't fit to stand trial because he isn't all there mentally from being confined in such a small area for so long awaiting trial, and another expert testifying that it is the courts fault for keeping a man in that cell when you are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty.

EA Sports removes Aaron Hernandez from Madden 14, NCAA 14

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer

July 8, 2013 12:18 pm ET
On Monday morning, a photograph started making the rounds on Twitter featuring an Aaron Hernandez "card" showing up as a reward for an achievement in EA Sports popular college football game NCAA Football 14.

But fear not: an EA Sports spokesperson told CBSSports.com on Monday that Hernandez has been removed from both the NCAA game as well as Madden NFL 25 and only showed up temporarily because of the timing involved in publishing NCAA 14.

"We made a decision to remove Aaron Hernandez from Madden NFL 25 and NCAA Football 14. Because NCAA Football 14 was finalized prior to our decision, Hernandez' image still appears in the Nike Skills Trainer," a spokesperson for EA Sports said. "However, he is not in the game, and anyone who unlocks that particular Nike Skills Trainer reward will receive an Alex Smith Ultimate Team player item instead. The image of Hernandez will be removed via a Title Update in the near future."

It stinks that the Hernandez photo popped up, but it's not the end of the world, considering how quickly the video game company can update things on their end and push those updates across the online version.

Most importantly, though, they're going to have Hernandez out of the NFL version of the game by the time it's released. Hernandez, having been dumped by the Patriots, wouldn't be on a roster anyway.

But the smart move for EA is to simply remove him completely. They're doing just that.

When all other excuses are exhausted by the Hernandez defense team and his supporters, they can throw out a hail mary and blame it on concussions.

I would like it better if the card had that selfie of him with his .45. Who the heck wants an Alex Smith card anyway?!?! Also, my version would have OJ in the Legends group with a 100 slash rating.

People asking about Hernandez's incidents at UF has brought up so many other non-Hernandez incidents. It has illuminated how bad of a program Meyer was running.

I don't think Meyer is responsible for what Hernandez did. I also think the bulk of the criticism Meyer is getting now isn't really Hernandez-specific, but is tied to the shoddy discipline and/or ethics his program had. If it wasn't for that there wouldn't be a story.

Whoes lost more sponsers these past 2 weeks, Hernandez or Paula Deen.

Can anyone be more guilty before its proven in a court of law, this has become a witch trial.

People asking about Hernandez's incidents at UF has brought up so many other non-Hernandez incidents. It has illuminated how bad of a program Meyer was running.

I don't think Meyer is responsible for what Hernandez did. I also think the bulk of the criticism Meyer is getting now isn't really Hernandez-specific, but is tied to the shoddy discipline and/or ethics his program had. If it wasn't for that there wouldn't be a story.
I really don't want to defend Urban Meyer at all, but the reporting on this has been terrible IMO.

The article above where they included arrests of players after they had already left UF is a pretty obvious example of padding the numbers. Even in the other article where they stick to arrests at UF, they fail to give us any context at all. How do those numbers compare to other D1 mens' programs, other BCS football teams or even the general student population?

They also don't do any breakdown of how many of the arrests were minor things like open container or underage drinking vs how many were for more serious offenses.

Finally, they include arrests of players who were kicked off the team as part of their indictment of Meyer (ex: Cam Newton). I'm pretty sure kicking someone off the team is the ultimate discipline a football coach has available.

Whoes lost more sponsers these past 2 weeks, Hernandez or Paula Deen.

Can anyone be more guilty before its proven in a court of law, this has become a witch trial.
I'm not clear on what you mean here. Are you saying a company who pays someone to provide a good image for their company as a spokesman shouldn't be allowed to exercise their contract rights to end it when the person no longer has a good public image?

Users who are viewing this thread