What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hernandez convicted of first-degree murder; found deceased in his cell. (3 Viewers)

He's a shark stash in deep leagues, he's almost for sure done for 2013 but if/when he beats this, there are several landing spots for him that might pay big dividends. I mean, he's basically "free" now, so if anything happens it's all upside & profit. I could see him playing in Green Bay in a couple of years and a lot of people here would be clamoring to grab him then. At the worst he's a great throw-in on any dynasty trades at this point.
Couldn't agree more. I just took him second in the prison fantasy league i'm in. I was surprised he didn't go first but the guy ahead of me took Rae Carruth.

Sarnoff said:
He's a shark stash in deep leagues, he's almost for sure done for 2013 but if/when he beats this, there are several landing spots for him that might pay big dividends. I mean, he's basically "free" now, so if anything happens it's all upside & profit. I could see him playing in Green Bay in a couple of years and a lot of people here would be clamoring to grab him then. At the worst he's a great throw-in on any dynasty trades at this point.
Then he'll have this to deal with:

Prosecutors have begun making the case to a Suffolk County grand jury that former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez should be charged in the shooting death of two men on a South End street last July, according to two law enforcement officials briefed on the investigation.

“The case against Hernandez appears to be strengthening,” one of the officials said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to discuss the case publicly.

The proceedings are conducted behind closed doors so details of the case against Hernandez are unknown. But the very fact that the case has gone to a grand jury indicates that the investigation of the killing of two Cape Verdean immigrants is now more narrowly focused on Hernandez. Safiro Furtado and Daniel Abreu were shot early on July 16, 2012, in the South End when someone in a sport utility vehicle with Rhode Island license plates pulled up next to their car and began firing.

Sarnoff said:
Not in a million years. This would be the least likely team. As TT likes to say "He's not Packer people."
Not Packer people? Ahhhhem. We respectfully disagree.

Sincerely,

Mark Chmura

Erik Walden

Al Harris

Ahmad Green

Nick Barnett

Johnny Jolly

Cedric Benson

Sarnoff said:
Hernandez beating this is about as likely as you winning your league if you have made similar shark stash moves.

I just watched the Belichek conference and was very surprised that Bill was as open as he was. I figured he would snap at every question and only be willing to talk about people on the roster.

I didn't really think Belichick was all that open. Refused to answer any question that used the word 'Hernandez'. About the only thing I walked away from it with was the impression he doesn't plan on changing much because of what happened. He sort of let it slip before remembering to go back to the pat answer that they review their processes regularly.

I thought whoever wrote the recited speech did a good job though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sarnoff said:
lol.

I am one of the types of people that is always all about "possibilities", but cmon, lol.

How deep a league we talking here?? 16 team 80 man rosters?
You're all in denial. I'm not even the only one saying this. Sportsline has this as their current news/analysis item on AH:

With legal issues looming it's very likely he will not play football in 2013. Fantasy owners should pass on Hernandez in seasonal leagues and consider him with a very late-round pick in deep dynasty/keeper leagues just in case he manages to work his way back into the NFL some day.

Additional Hernandez evidence mentioned in the hearing:

* Ammunition consistent with caliber used in murder found AH's apartment. His fingerprints on the box.

* Ballistics found the murder weapon to be a .45 Glock.

* Humvee owned by AH with his prints on gearshift, contained a magazine for a .45 Glock.

I didn't really think Belichick was all that open. Refused to answer any question that used the word 'Hernandez'. About the only thing I walked away from it with was the impression he doesn't plan on changing much because of what happened. He sort of let it slip before remembering to go back to the pat answer that they review their processes regularly.
:goodposting:

Complete waste of time. What a surprise.

Reporter: "Bob Kraft has said that he felt 'duped' by Hernandez. Do YOU feel duped by Hernandez?"

Bill: "I can't comment on players in an ongoing legal process {blah blah blah puke blah blah blah}....."

:rolleyes:

But it was perfectly fine for the owner to comment on it. What a joke.

can't comment on an ongoing legal process?

why not?
In theory, if anyone associated with the team admits to prior knowledge, poor screening processes, they knew things and never came forward before, during, or after the investigation, etc. they could be both potentially charged (unlikely) or named as a party in a civil suit by the family of the victim(s?). That would also open them up to be deposed, other search warrants being issued, and otherwise become a major distraction as the team tries to move on and prepare for the upcoming season. It is not in the team's best interest for anyone to say anything about AH and just clam up and move on.

why not?
In theory, if anyone associated with the team admits to prior knowledge, poor screening processes, they knew things and never came forward before, during, or after the investigation, etc. they could be both potentially charged (unlikely) or named as a party in a civil suit by the family of the victim(s?). That would also open them up to be deposed, other search warrants being issued, and otherwise become a major distraction as the team tries to move on and prepare for the upcoming season. It is not in the team's best interest for anyone to say anything about AH and just clam up and move on.
Sorry, but that's horsebleep in reference to the question I posted that he sidestepped.

"Yes, I felt duped."

The End.

:goodposting:

Complete waste of time. What a surprise.

Reporter: "Bob Kraft has said that he felt 'duped' by Hernandez. Do YOU feel duped by Hernandez?"

Bill: "I can't comment on players in an ongoing legal process {blah blah blah puke blah blah blah}....."

:rolleyes:

But it was perfectly fine for the owner to comment on it. What a joke.
Didn't the NFL offices ask Kraft to stop commenting on Hernandez after he made the duped comment?

If Kraft requested Belicheck not to comment then he doesn't comment. Kraft is his boss.

The speech was the right move. He got it out of the way before training camp, didn't really say anything, didn't take questions. A non-event that clears the deck to say next time that he's already responded as much as planned. :shrug:

why not?
Sorry, but that's horsebleep in reference to the question I posted that he sidestepped.

"Yes, I felt duped."

The End.
Suppose he didn't feel duped and instead had an entire dossier on Hernandez. And suppose other people can prove Kraft and BB knew more than they were telling. I tend to agree with you, but they really are better off not saying anything. That way, they can't be accused of lying, misinforming, have what they said introduced into the court case(s), etc.

Not sure why the prosecution needed to get an extension for a probable cause hearing. What they have and already revealed is not enough?

Anarchy99 said:
Not sure why the prosecution needed to get an extension for a probable cause hearing.
Need more time to manufacture more evidence, and coerce the actual killers into naming the high-profile pelt they want on their wall.

Rotoworld:

Sources tell ESPN that the Patriots do not intend to pay Aaron Hernandez an $82,000 offseason workout bonus due Aug. 1.
In theory, Hernandez earned the $82K by participating in spring workouts. Of course, he was subsequently charged with murder and released by the team. The Patriots also intend to withhold a $3.25 million bonus due in March of 2014. Hernandez's agents are expected to file a grievance against the Patriots in an attempt to secure remaining guarantees on their client's contract.

Related: Patriots

Source: ESPN.com

Tom Brady on Aaron Hernandez: 'It's a very sad thing'

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

Tom Brady has never had a media session quite like this. Much like Bill Belichick's memorable news conference on Wednesday, Brady struck a serious chord Thursday when addressing reporters for the first time since Aaron Hernandez's June 26 arrest on a murder charge.

"It's a very sad thing," the quarterback said.

Brady echoed many of the same sentiments as Belichick, saying he wanted to "follow Belichick's lead." Brady also went through all the great leaders that New England has had over the years, and spoke about wanting to move on from Hernandez. Brady was far less expansive on his emotions.

"Those feelings were just personal," Brady said when asked about his initial reaction to the Hernandez news. "I'm sure they were probably like everyone else's six weeks ago. It's hard to remember the exact emotion. You have them ... At some point I have to get back to doing my job. My emotions, they're important, but they come and go."

Brady was asked whether he heard from Hernandez after the story surfaced.

"I can't comment on any of that," Brady said after a long pause. "It's a good question, but I'm not supposed to comment on any of those things. ... I'm really not supposed to comment on Aaron."

Brady talked about the responsibility of never creating distractions for his teammates. He talked about the great relationships he has with teammates and "representing the community." And Brady seemed at a loss to explain how things could turn out the way they did with one of his former teammates.

More than anything, Brady emphasized that the Hernandez distraction will not be used as an excuse.

"The fate of our season is going to be determined by the guys in our locker room and nothing else. ... You talk about the Patriot Way, and to me that means mental toughness, it means dealing with different situations and adversities over the course of a season and offseason and how you can put those things behind you and focus on your job," Brady said.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

All 3 dynasty's leagues I'm in Hernandez STILL rostered. Idiots holding out hope.
Sharks. What's one dynasty roster spot really worth anyway? Oh no, now I don't have room to pick up Roy Roundtree or take a flyer on Mickey Shuler. Whatever. Small price to pay for the potential 2014 Comeback Player of the Year.

Sarnoff said:
Keith Lewis said:
All 3 dynasty's leagues I'm in Hernandez STILL rostered. Idiots holding out hope.
Sharks. What's one dynasty roster spot really worth anyway? Oh no, now I don't have room to pick up Roy Roundtree or take a flyer on Mickey Shuler. Whatever. Small price to pay for the potential 2014 Comeback Player of the Year.
:lol:

I've never seen someone so persistent in their :fishing: .. Credit must be given for staying in character for so long.

The pond is in Hernandez's hometown, rather than local to where he lived at the time of the murder. SI's legal analyst said the likely reason for the timing (searching now as opposed to having searched it earlier in the investigation), would be additional accomplice cooperation with the cops.

Having the gun dumped in a lake 2 hours from his home doesn't fit Hernandez' M.O. at all. Leaving on a Denny's table down the street with his Social Security card and driver's license taped to it would have better fit his pattern.

Report: Police investigating Aaron Hernandez for Florida shootings

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer

July 29, 2013 3:06 pm ET

When it seemed things couldn't possibly get worse for Aaron Hernandez, authorities are also reportedly investigating Hernandez for "more than one" shooting in Florida. This comes the same day that police began searching a lake near Bristol, Conn., on Monday.

According to George Colli of NBC Connecticut, cops are looking a multiple shootings in Florida relating to Hernandez and "dating back to his freshman year."

Colli also reports that "more charges could be filed" against Hernandez, stemming from these shootings in Florida, "in coming days."

Don't assume the Gainesville Police Department is sending out information on this.

@GainesvillePD

Aaron #Hernandez RUMOR CONTROL: Reports of any new charges are not from GPD. We have previously released any and all records we have.

Hernandez was taken into custody June 26, was charged with murder and has been held without bail since. He recently had a probable cause hearing delayed (by way of the prosecution's continuance) 30 days.

Rumors circulated only a week after Hernandez's arrest that authorities were seeking information related to a 2007 shooting in Gainesville; it seems likely this is one of the shootings in question, though that's certainly not guaranteed.

The notion that there are multiple shootings from Hernandez time in Florida is pretty terrifying. Obviously, there is still a lot to be heard, seen, found and litigated in the Hernandez trial. But the way things have trended throughout the legal process thus far is not positive for the former Patriots tight end.

I assume "multiple Florida shootings" refers to the incident from his Freshman year and the guy that lost an eye and is suing in civil court. Both incidents already known -- though interesting that the police are pursuing them.

Oh come on. At this point police are just trying to pin every cold case they can on this guy just to close them & get them off the books. In a couple weeks they'll charge him with Hoffa's murder.

Report: Police investigating Aaron Hernandez for Florida shootings

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer

July 29, 2013 3:06 pm ET

When it seemed things couldn't possibly get worse for Aaron Hernandez, authorities are also reportedly investigating Hernandez for "more than one" shooting in Florida. This comes the same day that police began searching a lake near Bristol, Conn., on Monday.

According to George Colli of NBC Connecticut, cops are looking a multiple shootings in Florida relating to Hernandez and "dating back to his freshman year."

Colli also reports that "more charges could be filed" against Hernandez, stemming from these shootings in Florida, "in coming days."

Don't assume the Gainesville Police Department is sending out information on this.

@GainesvillePD

Aaron #Hernandez RUMOR CONTROL: Reports of any new charges are not from GPD. We have previously released any and all records we have.

Hernandez was taken into custody June 26, was charged with murder and has been held without bail since. He recently had a probable cause hearing delayed (by way of the prosecution's continuance) 30 days.

Rumors circulated only a week after Hernandez's arrest that authorities were seeking information related to a 2007 shooting in Gainesville; it seems likely this is one of the shootings in question, though that's certainly not guaranteed.

The notion that there are multiple shootings from Hernandez time in Florida is pretty terrifying. Obviously, there is still a lot to be heard, seen, found and litigated in the Hernandez trial. But the way things have trended throughout the legal process thus far is not positive for the former Patriots tight end.
How is it terrifying? Is someone worried that the past shootings make him more likely to shoot someone now, while he is in prison?

Oh come on. At this point police are just trying to pin every cold case they can on this guy just to close them & get them off the books. In a couple weeks they'll charge him with Hoffa's murder.
Your fishing isn't even catching guppys anymore.

Now that there might be precedence in reviewing shootings in Florida it might be worth bringing up that Florida is a capital punishment state. If Hernandez was stupid enough to kill someone there as well I'm thinking there is a low percentage chance a person committing multiple homicides will get any free passes.

Of course, he needs to have killed someone there for this to be relevant...

I wonder if the longer these types of searches continue, and come up with nothing, if that actually helps the defense. Does it become a literal case of "the prosecution is fishing and has found nothing."?

For the police to be looking this hard and long, they must REALLY believe that there is something to be found that clinches it..

Rumor on the street is that he spiked a ball in the Jets end zone right above where Hoffa is buried. Coincidence? I think not.

I wonder if the longer these types of searches continue, and come up with nothing, if that actually helps the defense. Does it become a literal case of "the prosecution is fishing and has found nothing."?

For the police to be looking this hard and long, they must REALLY believe that there is something to be found that clinches it..
Don't they have underwater metal detectors, sonar, something other than eyeballs and hands in divers gloves?

It seems there is room for some tech here...

Users who are viewing this thread