What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which defenses have changed significantly? (1 Viewer)

After the Rain

Footballguy
One of the greatest factors I have found for finding value is taking into account changes in defenses as I consider strength of schedule, etc.

Since I am just really starting my research this year, I am wondering what you guys think about which defenses will be much improved, much worse, etc. Also, are there any good resources you would recommend for such info?

The Saints DST should be on this list.

ETA:

Switch from 4-3 to 3-4

Added Vaccaro, early reports are promising

Two fomer all-pros, Harper and Jenkins at safety, though they did not play well last year, should be part of a three safety nickel defense often. Remains to be seen how it will work out but it holds promise, especially as Jenkins has played plenty of corner in his pro and college career.

Edge rushers added or converted:

- The main signee, Kevin Butler, had real hope to be an emerging star this year, but now he is out for the season.

- Guys underutilized in the last couple years, like Junior Galette and Martez Wilson, might finally be featured.

- Good UD free agents LBs, like Chase Thomas, Kevin Riddick and Eric Martin, could be something

- Cameron Jordan might just be All-Pro this year. Just a theory.

Some good news on the line:

- Akiem Hicks is a real star in the making, he should play all three line positions, and he has real edge rush ability to.

- Kenyon Coleman should be good and he has experience in the Dallas defense run by Ryan.

- Picks John Jenkins and Rufus Johnson (LB) are looking good, people are very excited about Jenkins.

- Lofton was a defensive standout last year, actually the only one, and he should be good again.

Improved corners:

- Keenan Lewis is new, from the Steelers, he has a good record of passes defended albeit maybe not so many INTs (so far).

- Greer is as always a real reliable pro. Solid.

Deficiencies:

- Old wheels on Vilma and Will Smith, plus now in a poor defensive fit for their skills.

- In some games, CB Patrick Robinson got beat worse than almost any CB you can imagine being beat, even a preseason scrub. Dez Bryant just destroyed him, going almost untouched on two deep scores for starters. At other times he looked brilliant.

- The Saints offense can be a plus, if it jumps to a lead and forces teams into desperate mistakes; but it can also lead to shootouts.

- Since the Saints technically finished 3rd they shoudl have a nicer 3rd place schedule; but they get the AFCE & the NFCW, plus some terrible scheduling, including a brutal SF/@ATL/@SEA stretch, and they also get CHI & DAL as their 3rd place matchups.

All kinds of ?'s here and it's still the same guys by and large who were absolutely beyond awful last year, but then again those were mostly the same guys who had done very well under Gregg Williams over the prior 3 years and this 2013 defense is more of a mindset and scheme in common with those years.

That the system is new might be a deficiency, but Ryan brought in one Cowboy from each of the defensive groups, Coleman (DL), Butler (LB), and Carr (DB), to coach up the group on field.

Finally, Peyton is back. Things were just rudderless last year, there was no real coordination on the defensive side.

The biggest change, Rex Ryan, is really just a big IF. His defenses have maybe once (?) finished in the top-5 in a major stat (3rd in yards allowed rushing, or perhaps points) in 2006 or so in Oakland. They finished around 9th in sacks and maybe pass yards or points allowed in Dallas, in 2011 I think(?). And that's it. On the other hand his defenses have historically had to play supporting downright awful offenses (typically bottom 5) in Oakland and Cleveland. Dallas was different but last year they had no running game and again head coaching matters. Hopefully this will be the perfect merger of a DC who has always lacked a supporting offense and an offense that has almost always lacked a supporting defense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tampa Bay adding Darelle Revis and Dashon Goldson greatly improve their secondary. It won't be the worst in the league this year.

Chargers switched out the entire secondary aside from Weddle and added Te'o/Freeney. Results TBD.

Eagles can't be much worse. Secondary completely changed and several new players in the front 7. Emphasis on size.

Key FA/Draft Picks in Secondary

Kenny Phillips

Cary Williams

Patrick Chung

Bradley Fletcher

Earl Wolff

Jordan Poyer

Key FA/Draft Picks in Front 7

Connor Barwin

Isaac Sopoaga

Bennie Logan

Dolphins I feel should be pretty improved. Adding Dion Jordan to Cameron Wake on the line. Ellerbe at LB. Adding Grimes and their 2nd rounder in the secondary...

I like Clev this year. Getting Taylor back fully is a huge plus for them. Also, Mingo should add a presence off the edge even if it is rotational and sporadic. If the get someone to step up at CB2 then they could take a huge leap forward IMO.

I feel like BUF is going to benefit from an addition by subtraction type of improvement because of how bad Dave Wannstedt was. I do not think that the players played as well as they were capable of given the talent they have, and perhaps more importantly they may start to believe in themselves more and play inspired ball consistently. I don't know much about the new staff, but I was very unimpressed with the last staff both in terms of scheme and the effort of the product put on the field.

I like Clev this year. Getting Taylor back fully is a huge plus for them. Also, Mingo should add a presence off the edge even if it is rotational and sporadic. If the get someone to step up at CB2 then they could take a huge leap forward IMO.
This

Tampa Bay adding Darelle Revis and Dashon Goldson greatly improve their secondary. It won't be the worst in the league this year.
A hundred times this. Darrelle Revis on his own is the single biggest offseason change for any team. I don't mean to get hyperbolic, but I think this is the defensive version of Denver signing Peyton Manning- all the rest of the pieces are already in place, they just needed that HoF-caliber talent to take them to the next level. Tampa was tops in the league against the run last year, and if Revis is fully healthy, I think he'll single-handedly improve their pass defense dramatically- top 50% easily, top 10 overall possibly.

I'm the only staffer who currently has Tampa in his top 12 defenses. I might wind up with a lot of egg on my face over this one, but I think they're going to shock the world this year.

jurb26 said:
Bingo! Horton could make this D a steal this year IMO.

Giants should have 3 new starting LBs. Too early to say if the defense will be better or not. Most likely the LB play will be about the same and the success of the defense will depend on the CBs and Dline playing better than they did last year. Last year CB Webster was beaten often. Webster blames it on a lack of communication. Also the Dline couldn't get pressure rushing 4 and had a hard time stopping the run.

Jags have new defensive scheme, almost entire new secondary, and big changes on defensive line.

Their corners may still be liability but they'll be using more pressure from Seattle's LEO defense that Gus Bradley is bringing over. Jags have gone to bigger corners and upgraded the safeties. Cyprien is the player to watch. They failed to bring in a big-time pass rusher though and will have to rely on Mincey and Babin for sacks. Alualu is being moved to DE (reportedly to alleviate stress on his knees).

The addition of guys like Senderrick Marks, Kyle Love, and Roy Miller should make the middle tougher against the run, the pass defense remains a question mark.

What about Detroit, for the better or worse.

No Avril or Vanden Bosch at DE, Quin and new rookies except for Houston at Corner. Also, new LBs make this D a new look.

Consider also the Cardinals. They've been pretty good the last couple years of course, but adding Mathieu to Peterson could bring in some nice ST & defensive TD's.

I would also say consider the KC Chiefs. The defense has been good talent-wise, but the offense imporving under Reid will make things better for the defense.

Consider also the Cardinals. They've been pretty good the last couple years of course, but adding Mathieu to Peterson could bring in some nice ST & defensive TD's.
They did lose one of the better defensive minds in Horton though. I'd pump the brakes slightly on them.

They did lose one of the better defensive minds in Horton though. I'd pump the brakes slightly on them.
Agreed. Arizona has a lot of talent, but Horton is a huge loss. It'd be like if Cincinnati lost Zimmer. Having all that talent is a tremendous starting point, but at the end of the day, you need someone who knows what to do with it calling the shots.

Users who are viewing this thread