What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aaron Hernandez current dynasty value (1 Viewer)

Lets reset the panic button some.

Hernandez appears to be in some trouble; let's assume that just so we are all evaluating from the same position. So lets assume he is in trouble and let's assume he won't play for five years. As crazy as that seems to hold a player, lets remember that if that happened, he would still be young enough to come back and put up five more years of top production. That's not a given of course but with all things being equal, the point is to illustrate that, given his known level of talent, isn't it crazy to even consider trading him away for such low compensation?

If you tell me today that he won't play for two years, I'm still holding a dynasty spot for him and saying "see you when you're 25" before I'm trading him away for 3rd rounders and houslers and second rate talent.
Instead of assuming he won't play for five years, why don't we assign a level of probability based on what we know now?

Here is a guess:

Not sure how this happens, but ok - Nothing comes of it, plays all season - 5%

Cooperates with police, someone else did it, gets slap on wrist - Misses significant time (4-10 games) - 20%

Takes year off to battle legal troubles for season, ultimately gets off - Misses 1 season - 20%

Eventual accessory to murder conviction or indefinite ban by Goodall with later reinstatement - Misses multiple seasons (2-5 years) - 30%

Murder conviction or lifetime ban or both - NFL Career Is Over - 25%

Does this seem far off to most of you? I actually am struggling to not assign much higher probabilities to the last three choices, but am trying not to overreact. Hard not to, given the way Hernandez has acted guilty with cleaners, cell destruction, security destruction and by the various news reports.
I think takes year off to battle legal troubles might be a bit low while options 4 and 5 might be a bit high. I think there's a relatively high probability that he either killed the guy or was an accessory to murder but walks due to a top notch defense team and/or lack of evidence.
:goodposting:

I think there's about a 75% chance he misses 2 years or less. You've got the possibility of a Ray Lewis type plea bargain that might keep him in jail for one season and suspended for another, or he may go to trial and be aquitted, like you said.

We're also dealing with the Patriots who don't mind low character guys, so If you can stomach having this creep on your roster I'd consider trying to get him cheaply.

oh noes, obstruction of justice.

First time offender ... not going to prison. Doubt he even sees jail time.

Especially if he rolls over on whoever did it, then this is barely going to impact him this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just dealt him.

Hernandez, Joseph Randle, 3rd round pick

for

Alshon Jeffery and a 4th round pick.

I had to sleep on this, more because I didn't want to lose Randle than for Hernandez.

Especially if he rolls over on whoever did it, then this is barely going to impact him this year.
Spoken like a true Hernandez owner. :popcorn:

If you honestly believe that you can get him cheap now - many of his owners will give him to you for a bag of chips. The obstruction charge is no laughing matter and it could be only the beginning. And sometimes celebrities are made an example of even if they are a first time offender.

Must be hard to type with your head buried that far in the sand :lol:

• Smile
Reactions: rct

Spoken like a true Hernandez owner. :popcorn:
Don't own him in a single league. Trying to acquire him for cheap, though.

I've been a victim of this media stuff... living in a small town, accused of something heinous and it was complete bull. The newspaper put a front page article with my picture on it and a lot of random accusations before anything even hit the courts. It was a complete joke and trashed not only my reputation but my family's as well. I got a year probation just so they could get me with something even though I had nothing to do with it. And I'm not going to elaborate so don't ask.

I am extremely jaded on the media and court system ... I don't trust any information out there until it goes completely through the court system. And even then I don't always trust it. I took the plea probation to be done with it but I shouldn't have even had to accept that because I didn't do anything wrong. After a year fighting a case you either just want it to be over with or you can't afford to keep your lawyer any more so you take whatever minor plea bargain is out there. The justice system is a joke when 98% of resolved cases end up in plea bargains.

Anyway, I'm a buyer on Hernandez if he's only being charged with obstruction right now. Doubt he gets suspended more than the PED guys. How can you not buy at those prices? Fleener? Come on now. The future dynasty upside is worth it even if he misses this entire season.

Why are people so quick to assume that yf he goes to prison for an extended period of time he can just come back and pick up where he left off? Because Vick did it? That is a bold assumption IMO. There is just as good a chance he gets totally out of shape and never has an impact.
Or, that if/when he returns it's not to the Patriots/Brady/Belichick who may have decided to move on from his punk behavior, and/or Brady may have retired. Are teams going to let him be a focal point of the offense, knowing he's a major behavioral risk, or a pariah to the fan base? Too many Hernandez apologists in this thread are just assuming everything will be just dandy when he returns, like he never left. Pretty unlikely if you ask me. It's definitely NOT like returning from an ACL as someone said he's going to treat it.
I said RIGHT NOW I am treating it like an ACL. If he goes to prison, I will change my mind on that.

If you are a hernandez owner and getting offers, you have to take a stand right NOW on that you think will happen. Only makes sense. And I am right now going to assume he is not found guilty of anything major, doesn't go to jail, but is suspended all year.

Who the hell knows what will happen, but selling dirt cheap to me is just stupid right now, so i am not going to do that.

I think his value is zero. Negative if you hold out hope and it costs you a roster spot.

Everything coming out about his behavior screams guilt. I'd be surprised if NE didn't cut ties at some point in the near future.

Hernandez appears to be in some trouble; let's assume that just so we are all evaluating from the same position. So lets assume he is in trouble and let's assume he won't play for five years. As crazy as that seems to hold a player, lets remember that if that happened, he would still be young enough to come back and put up five more years of top production. That's not a given of course but with all things being equal, the point is to illustrate that, given his known level of talent, isn't it crazy to even consider trading him away for such low compensation?

If you tell me today that he won't play for two years, I'm still holding a dynasty spot for him and saying "see you when you're 25" before I'm trading him away for 3rd rounders and houslers and second rate talent.
C'mon Shout, 5 yrs in prison and you are a buyer?
Probably so just because if that was the "known" amount being reported, he would be had for peanuts so I'd take him and see if he gets out early on parol early and IF he did happen to serve all that time, I think its worth it. Think about it in another frame of mind and remove all the rumor and speculation.

If Cam Newton announced his retirement today..says he is going to go do mission work. Drops off the planet and shows up 7 years from now and is 29 or whatever and gets back into the NFL. Despite all that time and all the rust, etc, don't you think people will go after him hard? I think they would because they have seen the proven production and that is what we have in Hernandex. 28 years old is pretty young for a TE. If you get that production back, you still get 4-5 top years.

Look at how old Ricky Williams was when he came back and he still had a fantasy market. I see why people would ask me the quesiton if I am serious on the "today" side, but i can almost guarantee that if someone actually had this guy on a roster and he came back 3,4,5 years from now, the market is still going to be there.

Here's a perfect example of this media bullcrap and why you can't trust anything anyone says until the case goes completely through the system. All that speculation a warrant had been issued, and it in fact, as not. Maybe it will be in the near future but people jump the gun too much on this stuff.

===

A clerk in the Attleboro District Court told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport on Friday morning that no arrest warrants have been issued in the homicide investigation of Odin Lloyd.

There were reports Friday that a warrant had been filed for New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez for a charge of obstruction of justice.

The clerk told Rapoport her court is the only one with whom the Massachusetts State Police would file a warrant in connection to the homicide.

====

Probably so just because if that was the "known" amount being reported, he would be had for peanuts so I'd take him and see if he gets out early on parol early and IF he did happen to serve all that time, I think its worth it. Think about it in another frame of mind and remove all the rumor and speculation.

If Cam Newton announced his retirement today..says he is going to go do mission work. Drops off the planet and shows up 7 years from now and is 29 or whatever and gets back into the NFL. Despite all that time and all the rust, etc, don't you think people will go after him hard? I think they would because they have seen the proven production and that is what we have in Hernandex. 28 years old is pretty young for a TE. If you get that production back, you still get 4-5 top years.

Look at how old Ricky Williams was when he came back and he still had a fantasy market. I see why people would ask me the quesiton if I am serious on the "today" side, but i can almost guarantee that if someone actually had this guy on a roster and he came back 3,4,5 years from now, the market is still going to be there.
A market may still be there, but the market for an elite FFL TE? People would take a flyer on him, but I doubt he'll be drafted in the 2nd round. And what are the chances he comes backs as a starting TE? And for what team? Do you think Bill and Tom welcome him back as if nothing happened (if they're still in the league)?

Too many questions to commit valuable FFL resources on a long-term 'maybe'.

Load of crap. People panicking for no reason.

Maybe he will get arrested at some point for some charge in connection with the crime but the dumping of value at this point is unwarranted.
Whether or not the warrant is issued yet is not why there's reason to panic. Unless you think the rest of the "reports" are all made up, the reason to panic that he was clearly directly involved in a murder, to some extent or another. If you think all of the stories are made up, then fine, good luck trying to buy Hernandez low.

A market may still be there, but the market for an elite FFL TE? People would take a flyer on him, but I doubt he'll be drafted in the 2nd round. And what are the chances he comes backs as a starting TE? And for what team? Do you think Bill and Tom welcome him back as if nothing happened (if they're still in the league)?

Too many questions to commit valuable FFL resources on a long-term 'maybe'.
Winning takes care of everything. Ray Lewis killed a guy then won defensive player of the year.

If I knew hernandez would get 5 years in prison...............um.....................I am trading him for anything. It would be detrimental to the future of my team to have a wasted roster spot. In the next 5 years or so, I am more likely to pick up a player or players using that roster spot on waivers who helps my team more over the course of the next decade than Hernandez would, so...............unless you have a 16 team league with 50 man rosters :shrug:

I think his value is zero. Negative if you hold out hope and it costs you a roster spot.

Everything coming out about his behavior screams guilt. I'd be surprised if NE didn't cut ties at some point in the near future.
Zero??? Everything coming out screams "involved", however I am more than happy to have a murderer on my fantasy team that was acquitted if he is going to produce for me.

So, if he is actually FOUND GUILTY then yeah, cut him or whatever. Until then, I am a bigtime buyer at "zero value" :moneybag:

Zero??? Everything coming out screams "involved", however I am more than happy to have a murderer on my fantasy team that was acquitted if he is going to produce for me.

So, if he is actually FOUND GUILTY then yeah, cut him or whatever. Until then, I am a bigtime buyer at "zero value" :moneybag:
The problem is that he sounds like a very very stupid murderer.

If I knew hernandez would get 5 years in prison...............um.....................I am trading him for anything. It would be detrimental to the future of my team to have a wasted roster spot. In the next 5 years or so, I am more likely to pick up a player or players using that roster spot on waivers who helps my team more over the course of the next decade than Hernandez would, so...............unless you have a 16 team league with 50 man rosters :shrug:
:lmao: good luck with that.

:lmao: good luck with that.
Seriously. Five years? Your only trading partner will be the waiver wire, and the only thing you're getting is an open roster spot.

Instead of assuming he won't play for five years, why don't we assign a level of probability based on what we know now?

Here is a guess:

Not sure how this happens, but ok - Nothing comes of it, plays all season - 5%

Cooperates with police, someone else did it, gets slap on wrist - Misses significant time (4-10 games) - 20%

Takes year off to battle legal troubles for season, ultimately gets off - Misses 1 season - 20%

Eventual accessory to murder conviction or indefinite ban by Goodall with later reinstatement - Misses multiple seasons (2-5 years) - 30%

Murder conviction or lifetime ban or both - NFL Career Is Over - 25%

Does this seem far off to most of you? I actually am struggling to not assign much higher probabilities to the last three choices, but am trying not to overreact. Hard not to, given the way Hernandez has acted guilty with cleaners, cell destruction, security destruction and by the various news reports.
I think the last two probabilities are high and the third is low. I don't think there's a real chance his NFL career is over. I'd bump that down to 10%, lower the 2-5 ban to 25%, and raise the 1 season ban to 40%.
Where do you guys come up with this stuff?Ray Lewis had blood all over his suit (which police never found, hint hint) from a guy getting stabbed to death at the nightclub after an altercation with HIS FRIENDS, and he only got a FINE, with NO SUSPENSIONS.

Why would there be even a remote chance of Hernandez getting suspended for a season?
Have you ever heard of Roger Goodell?
didn't Ray reach a plea bargin before the season began? (the time for you homies to kill people is in Feb and not mid June). Paul Tagliabue rarely suspended players which is why the NFL was (more) out of control than it is now; not that it should matter but Ray was a rising star in the NFL at the time.

Hernandez still being drafted on fantasy football calcular as the third TE like nothing happened. Based on that, should still be able to swap Hern for Witten + picks easy.
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or just someone not familiar with FFC, but FFC uses a sliding ADP that incorporates draft ranges over a certain period of time (a week?). Because of this it will always be slower to react to very fluid situations. The Bradshaw-Ballard ADP is a great example of how FFC takes a bit of time to catch up to changing values. Despite signing on the 11th, Bradshaw didn't pass Ballard until the 16th on FFC.

Look at the times drafted column to figure out who is actually getting drafted ahead of ADP (more times drafted means that more actual users are taking a player before the computer does off the ADP list), while those low on the times drafted list are falling and getting picked more often by the computer than human drafters.

For instance, Brady has the lowest number of times drafted in the top 12 quarterbacks. That indicates that his current ADP of 4.08 is likely high.

Here's a perfect example of this media bullcrap and why you can't trust anything anyone says until the case goes completely through the system. All that speculation a warrant had been issued, and it in fact, as not. Maybe it will be in the near future but people jump the gun too much on this stuff.

===

A clerk in the Attleboro District Court told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport on Friday morning that no arrest warrants have been issued in the homicide investigation of Odin Lloyd.

There were reports Friday that a warrant had been filed for New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez for a charge of obstruction of justice.

The clerk told Rapoport her court is the only one with whom the Massachusetts State Police would file a warrant in connection to the homicide.

====
The case hasn't even begun and he's already barred from the Gillette Facility, what does that tell you?

Before anyone overreacts, I'm not saying that Hernandez story will go down the same way or is on the same level, but just as an example of what can happen when you bail on a troublemaker...

A guy in my league dropped Cedric Benson after the boat arrest in 2008. Figured he was done at that point. I picked him up and held him. Got three nice years out of him, then last season I traded him for Randall Cobb to a RB needy team after GB picked him up.

Not saying it always works out that way, but how can you you be so positive that Hernandez is forever worthless at this point and time? Way too much can happen and he is only 23 years old. As long as the price is right, why not take a shot on him? It's a cheap lottery ticket. TE is a position that guys in my league are always trying to upgrade. I'll take the 3rd overall ranked TE with the legal trouble for peanuts and see what happens.

I think this might cross a threshold for me in terms of who I'm willing to have on my fantasy team. I know it's foolish to let emotion get in the way of winning, but I'm not sure I have the stomach for it. The mental image of him with gun in hand standing behind a kneeling person who's likely begging for his life...I don't know.

I think this might cross a threshold for me in terms of who I'm willing to have on my fantasy team. I know it's foolish to let emotion get in the way of winning, but I'm not sure I have the stomach for it. The mental image of him with gun in hand standing behind a kneeling person who's likely begging for his life...I don't know.
I agree. If he is found guilty of murder I'll probably dump him. Silly as it sounds, but how do you root for him at that point?

It's fantasy football, I really dont care. Big difference if we are talking about whether or not I would want him on the NFL team I root for.

It's fantasy football, I really dont care. Big difference if we are talking about whether or not I would want him on the NFL team I root for.
I don't want to be that guy, but how old are you?

at this point i think his value in rookie picks is in the late 2nd to early 3rd range.

using a pick like that which will most likely bust anyway is worth the risk that Hernandez gets off OJ style and only misses a season or two.
It would take at least a mid 2nd to get my attention. The bust rate on late 2nd's and later are extremely high and at least I know he can be a stud if he plays. I'd rather hold onto him for less than that even if it means keeping him on the bench for a couple years while he's in jail.
nothing sucks more than holding a wasted roster spot for a couple years. Ever week of the season, you'll be cursing his name when it comes to waivwe wire pickups and drops.
I'm revising my value - I would take any 2nd for him now. I don't value 3rd's much so I'd rather hold onto him if that's all I could get, hoping by some miracle he gets out of this with only a one year suspension.

[SIZE=10.5pt]I’d happily add to him to get Eifert, but that might be very optimistic right now. He’s likely fallen from #3 to around #10-12 in my dynasty rankings, based on my initial reaction. I’m not willing to throw him away where I own him, and am not actively shopping him. I certainly won’t be holding him through a prison term, however. His value, in my opinion, is less than half of what it was before this news. As far as what I'd pay to get him - perhaps a future 2nd, more in 1.5 leagues. 2nds hit at less than a 30% rate, and are as valuable as Hern (last week) even less often. Even if the odds of him only missing one season (suspension) are that low - I think he's at least worth that. [/SIZE]

Old enough to realize this is fantasy football. I am not rooting for the guy at all, if he did anything I hope he rots in prison. If he skates like OJ and puts up top TE numbers, much rather have him doing it on my team than someone else's.

It's fantasy football, I really dont care. Big difference if we are talking about whether or not

I would want him on the NFL team I root for.
What does that have to do with anything? Seriously, it's magic football, who cares what they do off the field? You gonna pass on every guy with a criminal record?

It's fantasy football, I really dont care. Big difference if we are talking about whether or not

What does that have to do with anything? Seriously, it's magic football, who cares what they do off the field? You gonna pass on every guy with a criminal record?
It is magic football - precisely my point.

Thanks for clearing that up for us.

ghostguy123 said:
bigmarc27 said:
Coeur de Lion said:
bigmarc27 said:
ghostguy123 said:
Jeremy said:
ghostguy123 said:
DropKick said:

Thanks for clearing that up for us.
You're welcome.

Absolutely. I will buy at a good price right now. Lets say he is not convicted of anything but misses this entire year for a suspension.

To me that would make him still easily worth a couple 1sts. And from what I see so far, people are GIVING him away
lol
I didn't say I would actually GIVE two 1sts. I said if he came back playing in 2014 he is definitely worth two 1sts.

I will happily pay the 2nd rounders than people are selling for.

I'm considering trading him (3 years) for Greg Jennings (1 year). I'm in a complete rebuild and have been shopping Jennings to no avail to this point.

Thinking of countering with Jennings / 4th for Hernandez / 2nd. :shrug:

thriftyrocker said:
Vick missed 2 years and I don't know anyone who held him the whole time.
But you know a lot of people that grabbed him off the waiver wire the minute the news broke and won leagues that year. That's the point in a nut shell. You know what Hernandez can do. He's worth the wait, given his agem in large league with good size rosters.

Users who are viewing this thread