What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Latavius Murray, BUF (2 Viewers)

Wait you're asking if I'd rather have a guy who has had 4 seasons over 1k rushing, 3 seasons of double digit TDs, and a history of being an elite RB1 behind that offensive line? Unequivocally yes. But of course, it was ####### joke. An attempt to lighten the content of the thread. I guess that was a tactical error on my part

On your other point, RB2's are all well and nice but RB2's shouldn't sit behind arguably the best offensive line in the league. Some of us don't believe in his talent based on past performance and watching his play. That's why we want Washington to get a crack at it and believe he has a good chance to succeed.
IF the OL is improved as advertised, Murray will not have any excuses this season. It is still his job to lose though. The only real possible threat is Washington and nobody knows how he is going to perform.  As a long-time Raider fan, I hope that Murray and Washington are both outstanding. 

You WANT Washington to get a shot, why? Unless you own him, why do you care about a 5th round RB getting a shot?
Why do you think he has a good chance to succeed? Why do you think a guy who never did it before at the NFL level can step in and do what a guy who had a 1k season did and even ran for a 90 yard TD that had everyone hyping him, so he is capable. Why so much detest for Murray and why the love for Washington?
Your favorite team is the Bears, so why do you care about the Raiders and their RB situation?

These questions came to me when I see you say you WANT Washington to get a crack.

You WANT Washington to get a shot, why? Unless you own him, why do you care about a 5th round RB getting a shot?
Why do you think he has a good chance to succeed? Why do you think a guy who never did it before at the NFL level can step in and do what a guy who had a 1k season did and even ran for a 90 yard TD that had everyone hyping him, so he is capable. Why so much detest for Murray and why the love for Washington?
Your favorite team is the Bears, so why do you care about the Raiders and their RB situation?

These questions came to me when I see you say you WANT Washington to get a crack.
Wheels, your negative view of Washington's prospects is a good counterpoint to the annual rookie lovefest that usually pops up between draft and camp.

But is it really needful to reiterate it in response to everyone who has anything to say about DWashington?  Did this guy run over your dog?

Why wouldnt a fan of any team want the #2 rb to be great enough to succeed?  Most teams need two these days.

I have answered every single one of those questions throughout this lame argument except for one. I'm a Bears fan who cares about the Raiders because, you guessed it, I play fantasy football. What's more, I play dynasty fantasy football and this makes me interested in the situations and performances of the offensive skill players throughout the year. I share nothing in common with anyone else on the Shark Pool in the middle of summer. I am a rare and beautiful flower

I'm not knocking Washington, he very well may be a stud one day. But my reasons is more simple logic that I am not just going to say he will come in and steal touches because "i want him to." Murray is a good runner, runners may not have a record breaking year every year. He is still young, he may still be growing. It is absurd to say Murray is irrelevant and will lose a job just because you want him to. Washington has not done one single thing to even warrant that discussion, not one, but for some reason some are having it.

You can play fantasy football without WANTING DeAndre Washington RB to get a crack, so why do you want him to? Why Washington, why not Helu? What starting RBs you own, I want to know if you want all their back ups to get a crack too. My point is the only people who want Washington to get a crack are people who own him or a Raiders fan.

I dont know too many people who would say "Hey, give the 5th rounder a shot since our starter didnt get 1000 yards as efficiently as we would like."

Last edited by a moderator:
I will refer you back to my previous posts where I've addressed the points you brought up, including but especially the very first one that brought this thread back to page 1 to begin with.

I put forth a motion to ban both newbies for arguing about Latavius 'Freakin' Murray.

Can I get a second?
Whatever dude, I will stop posting in the thread. I had a legitimate question about the value of Murray which is why I brought it up to begin with. I tried to leave the argument alone but it's not my fault that Wheels has got a stiffy it

I like both Latavius and Washington. I only own Lat - and feel very comfortable only owning him. Was I targeting Wash in my rookie draft? Sure ... But he went earlier than I was willing to take him.

as said before in this thread, every team needs 2 capable backs. Nothing wrong with competition. Latavius is still improving, and I wouldn't be the least surprised to see him out up a season similar to Demarco Murrays in Dallas this year. Very similar player with a projected top o-line.

I will be looking to sell high though when/if that happens of course. Or buying Washington low - as I think he will be productive, but in his fist season isn't going to push Lat to the sidelines. All this barring injury of course.

Ray, Washington wouldnt be a bad cuff considering he may be the backup and Murray is no guarantee of health. Murray should have low value come draft time if this climate is any forecast, so he may be a "buy" in redraft. I have been taking a closer look at him in redraft mocks since I saw this discussion and he is going lower than his current ADP in the mocks Ive seen.

To make a remark to Gabe, since you want to defer blame of our discussion for whatever reason you need to defer blame of football discussion on a football forum, my first post was because of your blind stance in support of Washington and dislike for Murray. I have said my post is because you were unfairly mocking him. So it is your fault I am in this thread. I have grown interest in your stance which is nothing more than you own him so you have high hopes, understandable.

another thing, did I see someone say somebody should be banned for having a discussion? I hope that was a joke, but if not, why do people care about someone having a discussion? I'm so confused, can we talk football or not? Does it have to be the type of discussion you want, or no?

I am not for talking value in June/July, but what a players potential is can always be discussed. Two different things.

Whatever dude, I will stop posting in the thread. I had a legitimate question about the value of Murray which is why I brought it up to begin with. I tried to leave the argument alone but it's not my fault that Wheels has got a stiffy it
You could try not responding to Wheels.

To make a remark to Gabe, since you want to defer blame of our discussion for whatever reason you need to defer blame of football discussion on a football forum, my first post was because of your blind stance in support of Washington and dislike for Murray. I have said my post is because you were unfairly mocking him. So it is your fault I am in this thread. I have grown interest in your stance which is nothing more than you own him so you have high hopes, understandable.

You could try making more coherent points, thoroughly reading other people's posts and not passing blame when it takes two to have an ifight.  

I think one person suggested that Washington may take the lion's share of passing work by mid-season.  I don't recall anyone suggesting he was taking the starting RB job this year although several have suggested that Latavius will be out next year, take that with a grain of salt.

I contend that it is Lat's job to lose and while Wash may steal some of his work it is more likely that he eats a bigger chunk of Helu, Reece and Olawale's work and that any work he pilfers from Lat will be offset by an increased number of plays run by the offense overall.  And while I am definitely liking Lat this season and targeting him in my redraft I would not be shocked if by December Wash was getting a larger proportion of the work so I am definitely targeting him as well regardless of whether or not I land Lat.

Raiders OC Bill Musgrave expects free-agent addition Kelechi Osemele to help the "run game be more productive."
Osemele appears to agree about where his biggest impact will come. "I’m a mauler, that’s what I do," he said. "I’m a road grader. I like to run people over and leave them there flat, so I’m glad to be on a team that is headed that direction." Latavius Murray struggled with per-carry efficiency last season, but he is now playing behind one of the most imposing offensive lines in the league. If he can hold off fifth-rounder DeAndre Washington on early downs, Murray could return high-end RB2 value.

Source: Raiders.com 
Jul 2 - 9:45 AM

Vic Tafur of the San Francisco Chronicle believes Latavius Murray is "headed for a big season."

Tafur says Murray is "cruising through camp," shining as the Raiders' feature back. The Raiders' draft selection of DeAndre Washington created some concern about Murray's 2016 workload, but his starting job remains secure. With big improvements on defense and the offensive line, Murray is well positioned to match or even beat last year's 307 touches assuming he stays healthy.

Source: Vic Tafur on Twitter 
Aug 6 - 5:16 PM

Vic Tafur of the San Francisco Chronicle believes Latavius Murray is "headed for a big season."
We have heard now for the last two season how the Raiders have no confidence in him and are looking for and/or have found a replacement but like a cork he always seems to float to the top. Go figure.

Raiders coach Jack Del Rio insisted Latavius Murray's reduced playing time in the third preseason game was not indicative of Murray's starting job coming into question.
Murray took a backseat as rookies DeAndre Washington and Jalen Richard ran with the Derek Carr group. Del Rio insists Murray is not falling into a committee, saying "we saw (Latavius) last year. We need to find out who will be the backup." Both rookies shined, with Washington totaling 53 yards and a touchdown on 11 touches and Richard parlaying nine touches into 42 yards. Washington is a recommended handcuff for Murray in all leagues.

Source: Vic Tafur on Twitter 
Aug 27 - 11:53 PM

I'm not sure what's going on here. That kind of treatment is normally reserved for proven commodities. Not sure maybe Latavius has proven he's mediocre.

Seems like a situation where there's smoke there's fire imo. 

Preseason is where you find out about who you just drafted.  Latavius Murray has lots of NFL snaps under his belt and I doubt the rookies throw him to the side like he is nothing. 

-Jack Del Rio is a pretty loyal and I don't think he plans on resting Murray on the bench all season, if he didn't want him they would have found a new home for him IMO. 

I like Washington but there is a limit to how much of the workload I think he will take. 

MOP silly thought: I don't know if it has occurred to everyone just how good Oakland might be in 2016, I'm not joking, this might be the division winner. Denver's defense is outstanding but Oakland has this thing called a QB and finally they might have the edge there in the division. 

Del Rio knows they will get leads at times and have an incredible OL if you believe the hype. They will want to run the ball a lot in the 2nd half of football games if they want to win. As good as Carr is you don't want him zipping it everywhere when you have a 24-14 lead late in the 3rd, you want to run the football and eat up clock and add a few more points if you can. 

I'm bullish on the Raiders in 2016, dark horse to make some real noise. I'm happy one of the franchises that helped shape the modern NFL is rising back to respectability. 

I'm not sure what's going on here. That kind of treatment is normally reserved for proven commodities. Not sure maybe Latavius has proven he's mediocre.

Seems like a situation where there's smoke there's fire imo. 
I decided he was mediocre about halfway through last year 

• Smile
Reactions: One
I decided he was mediocre about halfway through last year 
Yeah I was slow in changing my initial assessment of Murray. I thought he was one of the better RB in the league but there's to much meh tape out there of him for me to deny. He takes some wicked shots too because he runs so high. Washington is a must own if you have Murray now but really the entire situation is kinda meh unless Murray or Washington gets hurt.

I will continue to find this situation bizarre.  Unquestioned, three-down lead back behind one of the best offensive lines (on paper) in the league with a legitimate passing game to prevent defenses from keying on him.

He's pretty mediocre. Last year his DVOA was low but his success rate was the lowest amongst backs (tied with ALMO) given a min of 100 rushes. The sample size is small, so I know it skews the numbers a bit, but OlawaIe in comparison was much better. In fact, of all RBs in the 22-99 rushes range, Olawale sported the highest DVOA (second highest was K. Williams). I know what Del Rio said recently about Murray but I have a really hard time seeing Murray improve on his 267 carries from a volume perspective. If he sees 300 touches again this year I'll be surprised given the other talented options in the backfield.

What Lat loses in % of RB touches could be offset by an increased number of offensive plays run.  He doesn't need to match his 4.7 YPC over the first 8 games to surpass his season 16 game 4.0 ypc and finish with more fantasy points than last year.

Last week he was being drafted as RB16, which feels like a bargain for a RB who is going to be the unquestioned leader in his team's backfield.  Very few RB depth charts in the NFL are as clear as the one in Oakland.

I don't like investing in mediocre talents with good situations with good players behind them. Things change quickly in the NFL where winning counts above all. 

no matter what any of us think or what is said at this point it will be decided on the field and if one player outperforms they will get more time and opportunities.  Why wouldn't they?  What do they owe Murray?

last year is last year and there's a reason they drafted 2 rbs. 

I don't like investing in mediocre talents with good situations with good players behind them. Things change quickly in the NFL where winning counts above all. 

no matter what any of us think or what is said at this point it will be decided on the field and if one player outperforms they will get more time and opportunities.  Why wouldn't they?  What do they owe Murray?

last year is last year and there's a reason they drafted 2 rbs. 
 Exactly.  Murray runs in a style that is conducive to getting hurt, and he wasn't even that good last year (4.0 YPC), so while I think he will start the season as the starter, I won't be surprised if the other guys get more and more touches sooner rather than later.  Washington looks like a guy who will be too good to keep off the field. 

Exactly.  Murray runs in a style that is conducive to getting hurt, and he wasn't even that good last year (4.0 YPC), so while I think he will start the season as the starter, I won't be surprised if the other guys get more and more touches sooner rather than later.  Washington looks like a guy who will be too good to keep off the field. 
The team lost alot of juice the last quarter of the season. There is a possibility that latavious actually gets better too. He's still fairly young and supposedly the oline is the best it's ever been.  Most think the Raiders are a team on the rise.  He only got 6 tds last year.  A few more and he could be a low rb1.  Washington could be a help to him and the team keeping drives alive and actually giving Murray more scoring chances.  They could be a good tandem this season.  Moving forward who knows, but I will bet on the guy that put up decent numbers for multiple seasons before crowning a rookie with no carries in a real nfl game.

^^^Stats don't tell the story. Murray has been dinged every year of his career going back to his college days. He runs too upright and his lateral movement is pretty much non-existent.

I'm getting a feeling he needs to be traded before one day I wake up and he's in a time share. I think this week is another good start vs ATL though with a very good shot at a TD and the Raiders have a sweet schedule early.

- eta - I guess he sort of already is, he had 15 touches to Richard/Washington having 11.

Question is who would be the prime beneficiary if Murray went down/faltered: Washington, Richard or true RBBC?

Starting him this week but Jesus Del Rio is ####### this up bad........with this usage though can't think he'll be much more than a low end RB2.......I mean he's getting taken out on 3rd down and at the GL.......yuck.......

Starting him this week but Jesus Del Rio is ####### this up bad........with this usage though can't think he'll be much more than a low end RB2.......I mean he's getting taken out on 3rd down and at the GL.......yuck.......
It's unpredictable.  Which I hate.  Playing Ingram, who has his own problems, and the awesome Spencer Ware over latavious

Not liking Murray this week, despite Atlanta's porous defense. Oakland's O-line is banged up. 4 starters (Hudson, Jackson, Watson, and Howard) and a backup (McCants) are all hurt.

:confused:  

How is Del Rio ####### this up?  Murray isn't that good, so it only makes sense to give touches to the two young guys, both of whom could easily end up taking over the starter's role before long.  

:confused:  

How is Del Rio ####### this up?  Murray isn't that good, so it only makes sense to give touches to the two young guys, both of whom could easily end up taking over the starter's role before long.  
I guess I don't agree that Latavius isn't as good as the other two.......I think he's better.

Users who are viewing this thread