What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Robert Woods, HOU (1 Viewer)

Picked him up due to byes and from what I see, Woods is a crisp route runner and tends to get open a lot. EJ seems to be fixed on him and due to Johnson's injury Woods will be the guy because who on this team does he really have to compete with for targets at the receiver position?
Ditto.

Just picked him up after knowing little to nothing about him. Anyone watched him play this year and care to chime in on how he is being used?

Is Stevie injured or is this the lingering injury he's had since training camp?

Dropped DeAndre Hopkins in redraft... at this point I think it's pretty clear Hopkins isn't anything remotely close to a reliable flex even. Where as Woods has looked better and with Johnson injured he has a chance to actually amount to something this season. Although I probably wouldn't be starting him this week against Cleveland but ROS he has good prospects.

Woods could be a good play tomorrow night with Stevie Johnson hobbled and drawing Joe Haden in coverage.

The more I see of this kid, the more I like him. He has star written all over him...but if Manuel misses much time, it will next year before he really shows any more.

Really disappointed to see Manuel go down. I picked up Woods in several leagues - he's getting a ton of targets and just looks polished... even making plays defensively when he can't catch the ball. He was at 5 / 68 when Manuel went down in the middle of the 3rd... that's good for an 8 / 100 pace.

Like him. Let's just hope that white fella never has to step foot behind center ever again.

That dude throwing and Stevie out didn't seem to be a good combo from what I saw last night.

Manuel and Woods had some real nice chemistry building between them. I really hope for the sake of this team and Manuel that he just has a sprain... the offense looked terrible with Tuel in there.

I would definitely temper your expectations on Woods if the Bills stick with Tuel at QB. I don't see how they can if Manuel is due to miss multiple games; Tuel looked atrocious. Offense was humming along and then as soon as Tuel comes in, three straight 3 and outs.

But, if it truly is just a sprain and Manuel will be back soon, I would be all over Woods. He was the most pro-ready prospect at WR in the draft & it shows. His routes are impeccable and he has soft hands. He has Stevie Johnson to take on the defenses top CB's and 2 great RB's to soften the defense up. He could be deadly on play action; his 42 yard score last week came off a play action pass.

Manuel and Woods had some real nice chemistry building between them. I really hope for the sake of this team and Manuel that he just has a sprain... the offense looked terrible with Tuel in there.

I would definitely temper your expectations on Woods if the Bills stick with Tuel at QB. I don't see how they can if Manuel is due to miss multiple games; Tuel looked atrocious. Offense was humming along and then as soon as Tuel comes in, three straight 3 and outs.

But, if it truly is just a sprain and Manuel will be back soon, I would be all over Woods. He was the most pro-ready prospect at WR in the draft & it shows. His routes are impeccable and he has soft hands. He has Stevie Johnson to take on the defenses top CB's and 2 great RB's to soften the defense up. He could be deadly on play action; his 42 yard score last week came off a play action pass.
Honestly, he looks better than Johnson on every single snap. I can't believe how open he's been getting. Even against Hayden last night when Johnson went out, he seemed to be open on every route he ran. He honestly, should've had a bigger game. Manuel missed him a few times when he was wide open in the middle of the field and Manuel never looked his way. Mayock pointed out at least 2-3 different times where this happened and was saying had he noticed Woods streaking down the field it'd have been an easy TD.

I was flip flopping all week to pickup Woods or Keenan Allen this week, I'm starting to think I made the right decision on Woods though. He looks amazing out there. Great crisp routes, soft hands and just seems like a natural at getting open. If Spiller can start getting back to form he's going to be a nightmare off play action.

Last edited by a moderator:

Honestly, he looks better than Johnson on every single snap. I can't believe how open he's been getting. Even against Hayden last night when Johnson went out, he seemed to be open on every route he ran. He honestly, should've had a bigger game. Manuel missed him a few times when he was wide open in the middle of the field and Manuel never looked his way. Mayock pointed out at least 2-3 different times where this happened and was saying had he noticed Woods streaking down the field it'd have been an easy TD.

I was flip flopping all week to pickup Woods or Keenan Allen this week, I'm starting to think I made the right decision on Woods though. He looks amazing out there. Great crisp routes, soft hands and just seems like a natural at getting open. If Spiller can start getting back to form he's going to be a nightmare off play action.
I still can't believe how good of route runner this kid is. All of the scouting reports were all over him for his tremendous route running & they were not lying. He seriously runs better routes then a lot of 4 or 5 year veterans. He is just so smooth out there... haven't seen anything like it from a rookie WR.

He could have double the amount of yardage that he currently has if Manuel/Hackett weren't so gun shy to open the season. He consistently beats his man and puts himself in position to catch the ball. He was working Haden last night pretty damn good; if Tuel wasn't in the game, he could have had a big 4th quarter.

Stevie Johnson's main weapon is his route running. I think he may have added a couple tricks to Woods' playbook as well.

I still can't believe how good of route runner this kid is. All of the scouting reports were all over him for his tremendous route running & they were not lying. He seriously runs better routes then a lot of 4 or 5 year veterans. He is just so smooth out there... haven't seen anything like it from a rookie WR.

He could have double the amount of yardage that he currently has if Manuel/Hackett weren't so gun shy to open the season. He consistently beats his man and puts himself in position to catch the ball. He was working Haden last night pretty damn good; if Tuel wasn't in the game, he could have had a big 4th quarter.

Stevie Johnson's main weapon is his route running. I think he may have added a couple tricks to Woods' playbook as well.
I was blown away watching Woods last night. On one reception he lined up against Haden and made him look silly. He truly does look like a ten year veteran.

Unfortunately his value this year is basically next to nothing if Manuel ends up to be hurt for the year.

I was blown away watching Woods last night. On one reception he lined up against Haden and made him look silly. He truly does look like a ten year veteran.

Unfortunately his value this year is basically next to nothing if Manuel ends up to be hurt for the year.
Yeah, he has truly amazing route running ability. Combine that with above average hands and we may be seeing something special brewing with the kid.

As for Manuel they're tentatively calling it at sprained knee. Which would mean he should be good to go next week after a 10 day rest. He's having an MRI done just to be safe today so we should know a lot more in the next few hours hopefully. If Manuel happened to come away with a serious injury though, I wouldn't be shocked if the Bills looked at someone like Freeman to patch the offense. There's no way he could look worse than Tuel did last night. Still obviously caps Woods upside a lot but Freeman isn't afraid to take shots down field and would be coming in with a mighty large chip on his shoulder.

If Manuel's injury lingers, I don't even want to say this but the Bills need to bring in Favre.

Agent's been gushing about his arm strength, and maybe Peyton looking like he could go until age 50 could inspire Favre to squeak out another year or 2.

Anyway, it wouldn't take much of an upgrade over Tuel (if Manuel's out) to keep Woods afloat. Manuel himself looks pretty awful at times.

If Manuel's injury lingers, I don't even want to say this but the Bills need to bring in Favre.

Agent's been gushing about his arm strength, and maybe Peyton looking like he could go until age 50 could inspire Favre to squeak out another year or 2.

Anyway, it wouldn't take much of an upgrade over Tuel (if Manuel's out) to keep Woods afloat. Manuel himself looks pretty awful at times.
That's a rough one, because you can't start Favre over Manuel when healthy. It'd be suicide. I think Favre could be a good veteran for him to use as a learning tool, which is something Manuel doesn't really have right now. But I don't like the idea in reality, cause if Favre goes out and has one or two good games then you have a QB controversy on your hands that you simply don't wanna have.

Yeah, he has truly amazing route running ability. Combine that with above average hands and we may be seeing something special brewing with the kid.

As for Manuel they're tentatively calling it at sprained knee. Which would mean he should be good to go next week after a 10 day rest. He's having an MRI done just to be safe today so we should know a lot more in the next few hours hopefully. If Manuel happened to come away with a serious injury though, I wouldn't be shocked if the Bills looked at someone like Freeman to patch the offense. There's no way he could look worse than Tuel did last night. Still obviously caps Woods upside a lot but Freeman isn't afraid to take shots down field and would be coming in with a mighty large chip on his shoulder.
There are 3 degrees of knee sprains, and only the mildest would have him even close to 100% in 10 days. I've had a grade 3 MCL sprain, it was 3-4 weeks before I could run at all on it.

That's a rough one, because you can't start Favre over Manuel when healthy. It'd be suicide. I think Favre could be a good veteran for him to use as a learning tool, which is something Manuel doesn't really have right now. But I don't like the idea in reality, cause if Favre goes out and has one or two good games then you have a QB controversy on your hands that you simply don't wanna have.
Yeah, I was sort of joking, but if it ended up being a situation that's far worse than it seems right now, it'd be a nice option. Probably only a realistic option if Manuel were to have a season ending injury. I agree, you can't have a situation with a healthy Manuel and Favre on the same roster.

How are dynasty owners valuing Woods? I just acquired him, and already have the opportunity to flip him for a mid-late 2014 1st. I'm trying to decide if Woods has a definite ceiling that makes shooting for the unknown worth it, but I have no idea where to value him.

How are dynasty owners valuing Woods? I just acquired him, and already have the opportunity to flip him for a mid-late 2014 1st. I'm trying to decide if Woods has a definite ceiling that makes shooting for the unknown worth it, but I have no idea where to value him.
mid-late first sounds like a good deal for Woods. I really like next years class though, and heck, you could end up flipping the 1st for a nice piece as people should be looking to add some picks.

mid-late first sounds like a good deal for Woods. I really like next years class though, and heck, you could end up flipping the 1st for a nice piece as people should be looking to add some picks.
That's my plan, I have another mid-late 1st already, and I think an offer with two 1sts will hold more sway going forward than an offer with Woods and one 1st, as rookie fever sets in.I do like Woods, but I think in a couple years he peaks at WR2 value, and I'm really unsure of where I stand on Manuel.

Rotoworld:

Robert Woods - WR - Bills

Robert Woods (ankle) and Stevie Johnson (groin) both returned to practice Monday.

The Bills held a session Monday as they came out of their bye and it looks like their two starting wideouts will be ready to play against the Falcons. Averaging 3.0 catches for 29.6 yards with no touchdowns over his last five games, Woods will be a mere WR4 even in this dream matchup. Marquise Goodwin could even push him for snaps in some two-wide sets. Johnson, who is averaging 5.2 catches for 54.2 yards with one score over his last four games, will be a WR3.

Related: Stevie Johnson, Marquise Goodwin

Source: Mike Rodak on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Robert Woods (ankle) is practicing in full this week.

Just like Stevie Johnson (groin), Woods should be close to 100 percent as the Bills come out of their bye. The concern is that his play has leveled off over the last few weeks and Marquise Goodwin is impressing. Consider Woods a mere WR4 even in a dream matchup with the Falcons.

Source: Mike Rodak on Twitter

Woods was emerging as the top target for Manuel prior to his injury. People forget that since Woods & Manuel haven't been on the field together since Week 5. Thad Lewis & Jeff Tuel weren't able to get Woods the ball, rendering him useless for FF purposes. If Woods is near 100%, I expect 5+ targets from Manuel this week.

Goodwin is not really a threat to Woods, he's still splitting with TJ Graham for the other outside WR spot across from Woods, with Stevie Johnson in the slot.

2013 NFL rookie of the year race, Week 15: Robert Woods hitting his stride

Excerpt:

Health has always been the issue for Robert Woods.

The Buffalo Bills' second-round pick in 2013 fell that far because of the injury he suffered in his final season at USC. His play suffered and so did his draft position. Injuries have held him back a bit as a rookie, too. He's missed a few games and so has his quarterback, so it's been tough for him to get into rhythm.

In Week 15, Woods and fellow rookie E.J. Manuel were clicking, though. The results gave Bills fans a glimpse at what the future could hold. Woods looked like a top tier option and Manuel was plenty comfortable throwing him the ball.

Woods leads off the rookie report for Week 15.

Three upRobert Woods, Wide Receiver, Buffalo Bills: Woods had his best game as a pro in Week 15 against the Jacksonville Jaguars, who have a rapidly improving secondary. Woods was targeted six times and hauled in five of those targets for 82 yards a touchdown. He looked comfortable getting separation and making plays in traffic. Keep an eye on him heading into his second season. If he stays healthy, he could be one of Buffalo's top options in the passing game moving forward.

Rotoworld:

Robert Woods caught one pass for 27 yards in Buffalo's Week 17 loss to the Patriots.
The one-catch effort was Woods' first in six games, and just the third of his rookie season. The No. 41 pick of April's draft, Woods proved to be one of the league's more polished rookie receivers, finishing with 40 catches for 587 yards and three touchdowns in 14 games. He developed a nice rapport with E.J. Manuel. Woods has the inside track on the Bills' No. 2 job next season, and will have some WR3 appeal in an offense that should be better.

Rotoworld:

Robert Woods remains penciled in as the Bills' No. 2 receiver.
Woods is expected to beat out Mike Williams for the right to line up opposite Sammy Watkins. Speedy Marquise Goodwin will be a situational lid-lifter. It leaves Woods in essentially the same role he had as a rookie last year, when he was an every-down player and finished with a 46-587-3 line in 14 games. Projecting a major Year 2 bump would require a leap of of faith in E.J. Manuel taking a big step forward.

Related: Mike Williams, Sammy Watkins

Source: ESPN.com

I project a big bump for Woods as Watkins gets acclaimed to the pro game. EJ already trusts him. Expect a ton of targets in the first 8 weeks.

Rotoworld:

Robert Woods is expected to take over Buffalo's slot receiver vacancy created by the Stevie Johnson trade.

In three-wide packages, the Bills will trot out Mike Williams and rookie Sammy Watkins on the perimeter, with Woods working inside. Per Bills.com's Chris Brown, the coaching staff "believes in" Woods "a lot," and multiple assistants on the 2013 staff thought "by the end of last season that (Woods) would be the best receiver on the roster." Watkins has the highest long-term ceiling in Buffalo's wideout corps. Williams is the top red-zone threat. Woods could flirt with WR3 value in PPR leagues if E.J. Manuel takes a step forward.

Source: buffalobills.com

May 23 - 12:45 PM

Bills risers from OTA practicesExcerpt:

WR Robert Woods: After being limited during the first week of practice as he recovered from ankle surgery, Woods upped his workload in the second week and didn't look back. The Bills' offense was at its best during OTAs when EJ Manuel was throwing to Woods. That is not entirely unexpected; with Stevie Johnson gone, Woods was Manuel's top returning receiver from last season. Woods was credited with zero drops last season and he kept that streak going, to the best of our memory, during OTAs. Woods and Manuel have a chemistry that has yet to develop between Manuel and Sammy Watkins, but that is to be expected at this point.

I don't think any receiver on the bills will get 1,000 yards but Woods may have a very nice 75 rec for 850 yards and 6-7 TDs, and given where you draft him will be a great value.

I don't think any receiver on the bills will get 1,000 yards but Woods may have a very nice 75 rec for 850 yards and 6-7 TDs, and given where you draft him will be a great value.
Agree. I'm not his biggest fan but it's ridiculous that he has an ADP of WR62.

Why? He finished as WR59 last year. They added Watkins/Williams but lost Johnson. Spiller will likely be used more in the passing game. I don't think he improves on 6 targets per game. Maybe his catch % goes up, but given Manuel's reported struggles in padless practices? I'm not hopeful.

Why? He finished as WR59 last year. They added Watkins/Williams but lost Johnson. Spiller will likely be used more in the passing game. I don't think he improves on 6 targets per game. Maybe his catch % goes up, but given Manuel's reported struggles in padless practices? I'm not hopeful.
Agreed. Projections should come with some sort of context.

Assume Manuel throws for 3,700 yds (a 10% increase in overall Bills' passing even though Manuel himself prorated would have only had about 3,200).

S. Watkins - 900

Spiller & Co. RB's - 650 (Spiller and FJax had 572 last year)

Chandler / Moeaki - 650 (same as Chandler had last year)

M. Goodwin / M. Easley - 400 (Goodwin alone had 283 last year)

Mike Williams - 300

That totals 2,900 leaving 800 yds leftover for Woods plus all others. 6-7 TD's from a slot guy with a QB unlikely to throw for >20 TD's is also a big stretch.

Woods may significantly outperform WR62 but don't see him realistically as anything more than a replacement-level WR3.

Rotoworld:

Robert Woods was listed as the first-team receiver opposite Sammy Watkins on the Bills' first training camp depth chart.

Mike Williams is directly behind Woods, while Marquise Goodwin is backing up Watkins. Woods hasn't generated much fantasy hype, but qualifies as a sleeper to lead Buffalo in receptions this season. Watkins is talented, but a rookie, and Woods will play the "movement" wideout role in Doug Marrone's offense, running high-percentage routes at Z and slot receiver. He's a sleeper for 70 catches.

Source: Bills on Twitter

Jul 29 - 10:30 AM

Woods was doing really well with Manuel last year. They had a solid rapport. And then EJ went down. Check his splits between when EJ was in and not and I bet his grades out higher. Maybe I'm remembering wrong though...

Woods was doing really well with Manuel last year. They had a solid rapport. And then EJ went down. Check his splits between when EJ was in and not and I bet his grades out higher. Maybe I'm remembering wrong though...
Not to mention Woods was a rookie last year- it's far more likely for an early draft pick to improve in year two than stay the same or go backwards.

Rotoworld:

Robert Woods caught four passes for 49 yards and a touchdown in the Hall of Fame game Sunday night.

The stats look decent for a preseason game, but Woods ran with the Jeff Tuel and Thad Lewis backup offenses. He beat Jayron Hosley for a red-zone score; Hosley is on the roster bubble in New York. Unless he suddenly overtakes Mike Williams, it will be safe to scratch Woods off of fantasy sleeper lists.

Aug 3 - 9:22 PM

Rotoworld:

Robert Woods caught four passes for 49 yards and a touchdown in the Hall of Fame game Sunday night.

The stats look decent for a preseason game, but Woods ran with the Jeff Tuel and Thad Lewis backup offenses. He beat Jayron Hosley for a red-zone score; Hosley is on the roster bubble in New York. Unless he suddenly overtakes Mike Williams, it will be safe to scratch Woods off of fantasy sleeper lists.

Aug 3 - 9:22 PM
:lmao:

Rotoworld is so dumb. Woods will absolutely be the starter come Week 1.

The EJ loves Woods. He will feed that beast early and often. Rotoworld is pretty moronic for stating the guy is a non factor in redraft after one preseason game. And the HOF game at that.

I'll be absolutely floored if Woods isn't on the field for more plays than all but one other WR.

Although... Maybe he's too polished to play with shotgun-blast-Manuel. Route running, reliability, etc. isn't as important as catch radius.

Rotoworld:

BuffaloBills.com calls Robert Woods the MVP of training camp.

Woods ran with the second team in the Bills' first two preseason games before being elevated to the first team in Sammy Watkins' absence last weekend. He'll open the season behind Watkins and Mike Williams on the depth chart, but is going to get plenty of run in three-receiver sets. We's a WR4/5 for fantasy purposes.

Source: buffalobills.com

Aug 21 - 6:47 PM

I was listening to the fantasy football channel on my drive in this morning, and they mentioned that Robert Woods was among the league leaders in passing targets that were not catchable passes (citing Pro Football Focus).

The speculation was that if Orton can be more accurate, we might see a corresponding increase in production for Woods.

Users who are viewing this thread