What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Anarchy League 6 Thread (1 Viewer)

Why not wait all day to make your pick? Wait until someone is hurt in training camp. Mquinnjr takes Dickson. Shocker! Nice job.

Why not wait all day to make your pick? Wait until someone is hurt in training camp. Mquinnjr takes Dickson. Shocker! Nice job.
Yep. This is why a clock should be enforced. Pitta goes down and the guy who is averaging a cool 5 and a half hours/pick is, of course, sitting on the clock waiting to scoop up the backup.

I took Dickson for him. However, I checked and the injury happened when he was still on the clock. Had he been way, way over at the time of the injury, I would have given him someone else. As I mentioned in one of the other threads, when I make a pick for someone, I take the player that I would take if it really were my team. In all of these leagues, Dickson should be the next player picked.

What people don't realize is that in the past when clocks have been turned on, things ended up way worst. People would miss their pick by 10 minutes and then complain they got an auto pick of Jeremy Maclin. Or they would email me wanting to switch picks. Or the system would give them a 3rd TMQB or no kickers. In some leagues, there ended up being like 50 autopicks.

There is no great way to do these drafts, short of doing them live, but I would guess they would take 6 hours of live drafting (which would be unbearable).

In all of these leagues, Dickson should be the next player picked.
Oh?

This is entirely your choice as to move things along and if an owner does not care enough to make their own pick for themselves in a timely manner, I think any method of assigning a pick would be fine, darts, roulette, guns at dawn. All seems fair enough to me and I do enjoy the chaos and randomness of course.

However I am going to have to disagree with your assessment that Dickson should be the next player picked. This is what The Man had to say about Dickson:

Dickson is bigger and faster than Pitta, but he kind of sucks. Not elusive but worst of all are his terrible hands. He drops everything. Ravens are already in talks with Vishante Shiancoe and I wouldn't be surprised to see them re-sign Vonta Leach and move the rookie Harvard fullback they drafted to Tight End.

Dickson will be the #1 guy, but his numbers will be mediocre.

And The Man ate his donuts this morning.

In all of these leagues, Dickson should be the next player picked.
Oh?

This is entirely your choice as to move things along and if an owner does not care enough to make their own pick for themselves in a timely manner, I think any method of assigning a pick would be fine, darts, roulette, guns at dawn. All seems fair enough to me and I do enjoy the chaos and randomness of course.

However I am going to have to disagree with your assessment that Dickson should be the next player picked. This is what The Man had to say about Dickson:

Dickson is bigger and faster than Pitta, but he kind of sucks. Not elusive but worst of all are his terrible hands. He drops everything. Ravens are already in talks with Vishante Shiancoe and I wouldn't be surprised to see them re-sign Vonta Leach and move the rookie Harvard fullback they drafted to Tight End.

Dickson will be the #1 guy, but his numbers will be mediocre.

And The Man ate his donuts this morning.
Most of these drafts are 150 or 200+ picks in. So I stand by my statement that Dickson should be the next guy picked given his potential upside with Pitta out, especially in this scoring format.

Pitta scored 293 points in this league last year. Two years ago, Dickson scored 200 points playing with Pitta (who scored 165 on his own). How many players out still undrafted have a very good shot at scoring over 200 points? If Dickson even scores 150 points this year, he would still be the BPA in almost everyone of these leagues at this point.

Sure, the Ravens could go out and sign someone else . . . and it might not even be at TE, it could be WR. Shiancoe did not catch a pass last season, so who knows if that makes him a legit threat to Dickson. But things change in real time, and at the moment Dickson is looking like a way better pick then he was a few days ago.

A case could certainly be made that "deadbeats" shouldn't be given BPA, but instead like fifth best player available. Let's say Pitta's injury makes a guy like Dickson an obvious choice to all of a sudden be best player on board. Should we really reward the team that has abandoned the league and stopped picking with an impact player like that? I get competitive balance issues and stuff, but I think you also don't want to alienate or anger those who do stick around.

Now, I'm neither alienated nor angered and I doubt anyone else is either. And I actually think Dickson may be overrated as a knee jerk to Pitta'a injury. But the overall point about potentially rewarding "bad" owners is a mildly interesting subject, I think.

A case could certainly be made that "deadbeats" shouldn't be given BPA, but instead like fifth best player available. Let's say Pitta's injury makes a guy like Dickson an obvious choice to all of a sudden be best player on board. Should we really reward the team that has abandoned the league and stopped picking with an impact player like that? I get competitive balance issues and stuff, but I think you also don't want to alienate or anger those who do stick around.

Now, I'm neither alienated nor angered and I doubt anyone else is either. And I actually think Dickson may be overrated as a knee jerk to Pitta'a injury. But the overall point about potentially rewarding "bad" owners is a mildly interesting subject, I think.
Here's the thing. Quinn had been making picks, did not need to be picked for, and then suddenly was way late for a pick. Was he just busy? Did he drop out? Does that make him a deadbeat? Who knows what happened to him.

When I started these leagues 10 or 11 years ago, they were by strict invitation only and there were only 2 leagues . . . with people I had already played with and on-line people that I at least knew a little bit. As the years went on, other folks saw the returning players sign up threads and asked to play, take over if anyone dropped out, or if I could start more leagues.

Most of the leagues today are filled with people who I have no idea who they are, if they are reliable or dependable, if they have any fantasy football acumen, and could not possibly vouch for. There is no vetting process. If someone wants to play, I try to find a league for them to play in. Beyond that, it's a total crapshoot.

With 10 leagues, there is no way to keep 160 owners happy. The drafts are too long, people complain about others not making picks, people that run over the proposed time limit complain if I pick for them or the player they get that wasn't by choice, people ignore the roster requirements and need to repack, when the clock is on, some leagues end up with a ton of auto pick players, etc., etc., etc.

It's a free league. When people don't get their way, they have a tendency to drop out. And who wants to take over a team that is already half drafted? A couple of years ago, I ended up finishing the draft for like a dozen teams. Sure, it would be great if every league had 16 owners that were into it and stayed on top of things, but that usually doesn't happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, totally see why you need a standard way to handle this, and that it's a pain.

I guess the question is whether there's a simple policy you could have which picks up the slack for those who don't pick (for whatever reason) which doesn't upset competitive balance for everyone else but also doesn't benefit them. I know there's discussion of how ambiguous BPA chan be in another league thread, but maybe you take the 6th ranked available QB/RB/WR/TE/K/D based on what they still need. They're still competitive but not gaining strength, most likely:

(Although surely the 6th ranked currently available position player will often turn out better than top, but at least that way you avoid some of the personal questions that arise when it's just based on your discretion.)

I think my assessment was correct - this is mildly interesting to think about. But probably not much more than that. :)

Through 14 picks, my team is really starting to take shape (for better or worse...). At least I have no major injuries yet (unlike last year, where my kicker went on IR before the season even started...I don't know why we don't play team kickers just like the TEAMQB).

Anywho...

QB1: ATLQB (1.16)

QB2: NEPQB (2.1)

RB1: Eddie Lacy (5.16)

RB2: Chris Ivory (6.1)

RB3: Bryce Brown (9.16)

RB4: Daryl Richardson (10.1)

WR1: Danario Alexander (7.16)

WR2: Anquan Boldin (8.1)

WR3: Greg Little (11.16)

WR4: Rod Streater (12.1)

WR5: Robert Woods (13.16)

TE1: Kyle Rudolph (3.16)

TE2: Jermichael Finley (4.1)

PK1: Stephen Gostkoski (14.1)

Picks since my last review:

Greg Little (11.16) - I really like Little to do well this year. With Gordon being suspended for 2 games, Little has the chance to take the ball and run with it. Really came on at the end of last season, finishing as WR33 in the last 7 weeks of the season.

Rod Streater (12.1) - A perfect WR4 in this contest. He has been getting tons of praise lately, and could easily finish in the top-30 WRs.

Robert Woods (13.16) - I had a pick of a bunch of rookie WRs at this pick (Keenan Allen, Marcus Wheaton, Justin Hunter), but I picked the guy who has the best opportunity of starting this year and who has been getting the best press. If he can finish above WR60 on the year, then this will have been a good pick for me.

Stephen Gostkoski (14.1) - With only 5 picks left and no kickers or defenses yet, I pretty much had to take one here or end up with the scraps in the last 4 rounds. The defenses are pretty picked-over, so I may as well take a guy who almost always finishes well as my first PK.

Overall, my skill position players are pretty much set (I have one more to pick). My WRs are decent, but my RBs are going to be a weak spot on my squad. I am counting on a lot of young, unproven players.

Rod Streater (12.1) - A perfect WR4 in this contest. He has been getting tons of praise lately, and could easily finish in the top-30 WRs.
Here's the thing. You can apply this statement to more than half the teams in the NFL. Just change the player and change the team. The following teams seem to have some sort of battle or unclear situation as to who their WR2 will be (or are going with a guy that is not 100% proven): BUF, NE, NYJ, BAL, CIN, TEN, KC, OAK, SD, PHI, WAS, DET, MIN, CAR, ARI, SEA, SFO, STL. If people want to debate which teams should or should not be on that list, that's not the point.

Streater could emerge as a Top 30 WR. But so could any of the WRs in similar situations on other teams. Bottom line, there are opportunities all over the place this year for people to seize the moment and break out.

I have no idea how Streater will do and maybe he will end up in the Top 30. But it's pretty clear in reading the write ups of the teams in these different threads that a lot of players *COULD* have better than expected years. Hope springs eternal as we count down the days until the season starts . . .

Anarchy99 said:
gandalas said:
Here's the thing. You can apply this statement to more than half the teams in the NFL. Just change the player and change the team. The following teams seem to have some sort of battle or unclear situation as to who their WR2 will be (or are going with a guy that is not 100% proven): BUF, NE, NYJ, BAL, CIN, TEN, KC, OAK, SD, PHI, WAS, DET, MIN, CAR, ARI, SEA, SFO, STL. If people want to debate which teams should or should not be on that list, that's not the point.Streater could emerge as a Top 30 WR. But so could any of the WRs in similar situations on other teams. Bottom line, there are opportunities all over the place this year for people to seize the moment and break out.

I have no idea how Streater will do and maybe he will end up in the Top 30. But it's pretty clear in reading the write ups of the teams in these different threads that a lot of players *COULD* have better than expected years. Hope springs eternal as we count down the days until the season starts . . .
The thing is, players taken as WR4s in 16-team leagues are lucky to finish as high as he did last year, in his UDFA rookie season as the 3rd or 4th WR. Will he do better than that? It is almost guaranteed. Honestly, anything more than WR50 finish and be will be outperforming his draft position for me. :)

I like Streater I think he was a nice pick.

I like what you did with your draft however I think if you would have taken a WR pair or split them RB/WR it may have ended up slightly better value for you. Looking at some of the WR who were taken after Ivory and Lacy such as Lance Moore, Steve Smith, Mike Williams, both Austins, I think that may have been a slightly better way to go but RB were being hit hard in the early going so I kind of understand it.

Ghost is as good a pick as any other kicker taken so far but bad defense may end up biting ya.

Ha! Borden makes a pick, back on the clock 2 seconds later because of autopicks, but obviously doesn't realize it.

Not sure ItsOnlyTheRiver has completely wrapped things up yet, but he is out in front . . .

[SIZE=10.5pt]ItsOnlyTheRiver 3210.86[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Ryan Mathews SDC RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Knowshon Moreno DEN RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Pierre Thomas NOS RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Doug Baldwin SEA WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Dennis Pitta BAL TE[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Patriots Defense[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Biabreakable 3054.54[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Frank Gore SFO RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Christine Michael SEA RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]DeAngelo Williams CAR RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Steve Smith CAR WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Demaryius Thomas DEN WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Antonio Gates SDC TE[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Matt Prater DEN PK[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Sake-Bombers 3004.18[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Broncos TMQB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Marshawn Lynch SEA RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Michael Crabtree SFO WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Jordy Nelson GBP WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Golden Tate SEA WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]James Casey PHI TE[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Coby Fleener IND TE[/SIZE]

A lot of ground to make up. Learned from regular season that QB early really makes no sense (not groundbreaking, but this was my first year). Manning had a historic season and was barely enough to keep me close. Now we'll see importance of playoff picks.

Teams within 300 points of the lead . . .

[SIZE=10.5pt]ItsOnlyTheRiver 3217.26[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Ryan Mathews SDC RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Knowshon Moreno DEN RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Pierre Thomas NOS RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Doug Baldwin SEA WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Patriots Defense[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Biabreakable 3070.74[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Frank Gore SFO RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Christine Michael SEA RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]DeAngelo Williams CAR RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Steve Smith CAR WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Demaryius Thomas DEN WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Antonio Gates SDC TE[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Matt Prater DEN PK[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Sake-Bombers 3064.48[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Broncos TMQB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Marshawn Lynch SEA RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Michael Crabtree SFO WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Golden Tate SEA WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Coby Fleener IND TE[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]SantaRosaUte 3035.60[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Shane Vereen NEP RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Marques Colston NOS WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Julian Edelman NEP WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Vernon Davis SFO TE[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Jimmy Graham NOS TE[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Steven Hauschka SEA PK[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Adam Vinatieri IND PK[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Seahawks Defense[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Borden 2971.60[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Trent Richardson IND RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Stevan Ridley NEP RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Darren Sproles NOS RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Keenan Allen SDC WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Darrius Heyward-Bey IND WR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Graham Gano CAR PK[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]mquinnjr 2925.68[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Colts TMQB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Jonathan Stewart CAR RB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]LaVon Brazil IND WR[/SIZE]

ItsOnlyTheRiver still out in front but not a lock just yeat.

ItsOnlyTheRiver 3251.26

Moreno

Pats DEF

DBaldwin

Sake-Bombers 3137.18

Lynch

DEN TMQB

Crabtree

GTate

Biabreakable 3131.04

DThomas

Gore

Prater

ItsOnlyTheRiver is going to take the title. Battle still going after that.

Sake-Bombers 3198

Lynch, DEN TMQB, GTate

SantaRosaUte 3181

Hauschka, SEA DEF

Biabreakable 3176

DThomas, Prater

Final Standings . . .

[SIZE=small]ItsOnlyTheRiver[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]3297.26[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Sake-Bombers[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]3228.08[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]SantaRosaUte[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]3218.90[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Biabreakable[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]3207.34[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Borden[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]3032.20[/SIZE]