What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Devy League Setup--What Works? (1 Viewer)

ConnSKINS26

Footballguy
I'm starting a new league with a buddy, and we want to include Devy's in our league for the first time. This seems to be a growing subset of dynasty leagues, so I figured this could be educational for others who are interested in the concept as well.

What we're pretty set on:

14 teams. Flexible starting lineups. 1/1/1.5 PPR. Start 1 QB.

How do you guys who play in Devy leagues incorporate them? My biggest concern is that if we allow too many to be rostered at once, it severely devalues future rookie draft picks, leading to owners digging deeper and deeper into the Devy crop each year to find value when most of the season's top rookies have already been rostered for a year or two.

Our initial idea was to include the Devy's in the rookie draft. Take them wherever, value them however vs. current actual rookies. If we went this route, should we limit the number of Devy's that can be rostered at any one time in the entire league? For instance, 14 Dev players rostered altogether at any one time. So if someone uses the 3.2 rookie draft pick on Barry Sanders Jr. for some reason, that will mean that next year and the year after only 13 Dev players can be selected in the rookie draft. And so on, if more non-draft eligible guys or guys who don't declare the following year are taken. Only 14 non-NFL players on all rosters combined at any one time.

Or do a lot of you play in leagues that limit Devy picks to Seniors and RS Seniors that HAVE to declare the following year? That doesn't seem right, because tons of RB's and WR's come out earlier than their Senior year and I see them going in Dev drafts all the time. So that can't be it.

Just trying to do this right, without causing imbalance in future rookie drafts, etc.

So what's the best/most popular way to incorporate these into a league? And if we're including rookies in the start-up snake draft, we should also include the Devy's, right? Could lead to some interesting valuations.

Thanks for any input, guys. Hopefully this leads to an interesting discussion for others who are interested in Devy leagues as well.

I'm in 4 devy leagues. We have a separate draft each year, so each year 14 new devys come into the league. Two leagues you can draft guys who will be draft eligible the next year, the other 2 leagues incoming freshmen can be drafted. Each team has 1 taxi spot for the their devy player. If they acquire a 2nd through a trade they have to use a regular roster spot.

Below section copied from Phenomz Dynasty. League started in 2006 involving College Players from Day 1.

College players were part of the available pool with the initial startup vet players draft (Adrian Peterson was drafted at 2.03, #17 overall, when he was just entering his Junior year at Oklahoma)

[SIZE=large]I. College Players[/SIZE][SIZE=medium]One (1) College player is allowed per roster and can be held onto as long as desired, meaning teams will continue to own that player when they get drafted into the NFL, and another draft pick will not need to be forfeited to keep that College player when they turn pro. A College player is not mandatory to own, it is up to the owner if they want to make room for them on their roster. The college player needs to have lost at least one year of college eligibility to be drafted (so essentially a Sophomore, Junior or Senior). The College player is part of the roster, so room would need to be made for that player (not a separate taxi squad). College players can be drafted during our league Draft period only (not during any other FA pick up period throughout the year).

One week after the official underclassmen NFL declaration deadline has passed (late January) all college players now eligible for the upcoming NFL Draft are no longer considered “college players” and the one college player roster spot opens up for a new college prospect to be traded for or picked during our next Draft if desired.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]There is to be a minimum of zero and a maximum of one college player per roster at all times. The deadline to decide whether to keep a college player on the roster, or release him to be available in our next Phenomz draft will be the night before the NFL draft at 5pm CST. Former owners of any dropped college players at this deadline are allowed to draft that same college player again during the next Draft. Any owners choosing to keep their present college player at this deadline are not allowed to drop that college player until the completion of our Draft period. All locked and drafted college players are allowed to be traded, but not allowed to be dropped at any time during the draft period. If a trade is made during the draft period that puts two or more college players on any one roster, that trade will be immediately nulified and reversed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]College players are not allowed to be used in starting lineups until they are part of an NFL roster (thus, not making them “college players” anymore). College players can be traded like any other player/pick, but if a team acquires a second college player in a trade, or by any other means, than one of the two college players will need to be waived immediately (only one College player allowed per roster). If a college player is ever dropped from a roster, at any time, than they go back into the pool available for everyone again at our next league Draft period. The College player for each team will be entered into the website as “(Owner Name’s) College Player” as a generic placeholder and the specific College player owned for each team will be listed and updated in a thread on the message board (in same thread where future draft picks are tracked for easy reference).[/SIZE]

Anybody out there play in leagues that include devy players in the rookie draft, and in the inaugural start-up draft? This is what we were hoping to do.

Anybody out there play in leagues that include devy players in the rookie draft, and in the inaugural start-up draft? This is what we were hoping to do.
The first league I posted, the Devy were part of the startup. You can draft them at any time. In future years, the Devy draft will be separate from the Rookie draft.

In the second league, the Devy were separate. In future years, the Devy draft is held right after the Rookie draft as I'm using rounds 4-7 for Devy picks.

I do like the idea of including Devys as part of future Rookie Drafts. I might use that setting in my next Devy league.

What I've found to be best...

- Inaguaral draft: Have in May or later (after NFL Draft)....include veterans, rookies and college players all in this same draft.

- Future drafts: Include Rookies and available college players (suggest to also include available NFL FA's as that helps raise some draft pick valuation a bit since you're losing some value by a bunch of top rookies already being claimed from being chosen as college players in previous drafts)

What I believe is to allow college players, but not have an overabundance amount being chosen as then draft just turn into all about picking college players only. In my leagues, each team only allowed 1 college player so max. of 14 picked at any one time. Still allows for a bunch of good incoming rookies to be available during drafts. Solid mix.

The first league I posted, the Devy were part of the startup. You can draft them at any time. In future years, the Devy draft will be separate from the Rookie draft.

In the second league, the Devy were separate. In future years, the Devy draft is held right after the Rookie draft as I'm using rounds 4-7 for Devy picks.

I do like the idea of including Devys as part of future Rookie Drafts. I might use that setting in my next Devy league.
Yeah, it was interesting seeing where those guys were valued in the startup drafts compared to NFL players and rookies.

So you do think it's viable to have Devy's eligible for the rookie draft? We were considering only allowing one devy per team and using a taxi squad spot for it. If that devy gets traded after the fact, that's fine. But no more than 14 Devy's at a time in the league so as not to kill rookie draft pick value as much.

- Inaguaral draft: Have in May or later (after NFL Draft)....include veterans, rookies and college players all in this same draft.

- Future drafts: Include Rookies and available college players (suggest to also include available NFL FA's as that helps raise some draft pick valuation a bit since you're losing some value by a bunch of top rookies already being claimed from being chosen as college players in previous drafts)

What I believe is to allow college players, but not have an overabundance amount being chosen as then draft just turn into all about picking college players only. In my leagues, each team only allowed 1 college player so max. of 14 picked at any one time. Still allows for a bunch of good incoming rookies to be available during drafts. Solid mix.
Perfect, didnt see this before I posted last. This is pretty much exactly what I wanted to do, and adding the FA's to boost pick value a bit is a great idea.Edit: so for the start-up, first come first serve on those 14 devy roster spots, or are you always firm on ONLY 1 devy player per roster? I'd like them to be tradeable assets even if someone else already has one devy player on their roster.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do a split rookie/dev draft every year, the fact that the teams who finish near the bottom of the standings have double the amount of high picks to spend helps offset the lack of quality in the rookie pool and the slower payoff time of dev picks. Instead of having a just one high pick, they'll have one high rookie and one high dev pick. If you combine rookies and devs in the same draft, it pushes more value down the board and thus decreases the rebuilding advantage that bad teams would normally have.

I like including devs in the startup draft. After year one, my ideal devy setup would be a split rookie/dev draft with all NCAA or HS football players eligible for the dev draft (not just players eligible for next year's draft). Including freshman and sophomores increases the uncertainty and thus rewards skill and analysis.

Perfect, didnt see this before I posted last. This is pretty much exactly what I wanted to do, and adding the FA's to boost pick value a bit is a great idea.Edit: so for the start-up, first come first serve on those 14 devy roster spots, or are you always firm on ONLY 1 devy player per roster? I'd like them to be tradeable assets even if someone else already has one devy player on their roster.
Read my post #4 again. Outlines it all in detail how our league works.

I read it, but I was questioning whether it was possible, for a new league, to allow more than one per roster, between Devy drafts, while maintaining the 14 max Devy's at a time rule. I just don't see why they shouldn't be tradeable assets throughout the year, as long as the guy who trades away his one allotted devy realizes that he can't get another one until the next devy (or rookie/devy) draft unless he trades for one.

Yeah, it was interesting seeing where those guys were valued in the startup drafts compared to NFL players and rookies.

So you do think it's viable to have Devy's eligible for the rookie draft? We were considering only allowing one devy per team and using a taxi squad spot for it. If that devy gets traded after the fact, that's fine. But no more than 14 Devy's at a time in the league so as not to kill rookie draft pick value as much.
Both my leagues have pretty a deep Devy pool. My goal was to reward those who think they are good at evaluating talent; who's willing to put their money where their mouth is.

In my two leagues, the Rookie drafts would have mostly Seniors who emerge and have their draft status rise. Guys like Markus Wheaton, Quinton Patton, Chris Harper. It will definitely be diluted of top talent.

If your goal is to not dilute the Rookie drafts too much, I'd probably stay in the 2-3 Devy per team max.

If you do a split rookie/dev draft every year, the fact that the teams who finish near the bottom of the standings have double the amount of high picks to spend helps offset the lack of quality in the rookie pool and the slower payoff time of dev picks. Instead of having a just one high pick, they'll have one high rookie and one high dev pick. If you combine rookies and devs in the same draft, it pushes more value down the board and thus decreases the rebuilding advantage that bad teams would normally have.
Helping bad teams rebuild is the best reason to have developmental players IMO. Since the worst team gets the #1 devy and the #1 rookie pick (less whatever devys have been drafted) it's always possible to rebuild.

Be aware though that the deeper you make the devy pool the less advantage the bad teams have.

Here's a chart from developmental leagues that shows the average rookie draft position of players actually selected in devy and rookie drafts. In these leagues you can only roster players who are draft eligible at the end of that season. I used three years from four leagues to get this (IIRC).

Rook Dev1st 4 72nd 5 83rd 7 84th 8 145th 12 156th 12 187th 15 188th 16 179th 18 2110th 18 2811th 20 25Champ 21 24So the worst team, with the first developmental pick before the season and the first rookie pick after the season, ends up with players who are the #4 and #7 picks in normal rookie drafts. While the best team ends up with two late second round rookies. On average. It really makes a big difference.

I read it, but I was questioning whether it was possible, for a new league, to allow more than one per roster, between Devy drafts, while maintaining the 14 max Devy's at a time rule.I just don't see why they shouldn't be tradeable assets throughout the year, as long as the guy who trades away his one allotted devy realizes that he can't get another one until the next devy (or rookie/devy) draft unless he trades for one.
In my opinion it's not a great idea as believe it would really start to effect parity in the league....through the years you'd most likely have a bunch of teams who like to hoard college players (and thus probably not as competitive) and those that go full veteran. Keeping it to 1 per team allows the idea of college players to be grasped and appreciated by all teams in the league. Also negates the headache for commishes to monitor rosters to make sure they have enough playable options to field a legit starting lineup.

Just my opinion of course.

I read it, but I was questioning whether it was possible, for a new league, to allow more than one per roster, between Devy drafts, while maintaining the 14 max Devy's at a time rule.I just don't see why they shouldn't be tradeable assets throughout the year, as long as the guy who trades away his one allotted devy realizes that he can't get another one until the next devy (or rookie/devy) draft unless he trades for one.
In my opinion it's not a great idea as believe it would really start to effect parity in the league....through the years you'd most likely have a bunch of teams who like to hoard college players (and thus probably not as competitive) and those that go full veteran. Keeping it to 1 per team allows the idea of college players to be grasped and appreciated by all teams in the league. Also negates the headache for commishes to monitor rosters to make sure they have enough playable options to field a legit starting lineup.

Just my opinion of course.
Why dictate strategy? That's the beauty of this hobby. Some love youth, some love vets, some mix both together. If someone wants to hoard college players, go ahead, it's their right. As long as they pay the startup fee, what's the problem?

We do and we do it very much in line as you asked about in your first post.

We put them in as part of the rookie draft and owners can draft them anywhere in that draft, as they see the value is.

Each team can draft one such player per year and each team can have a maximum of two such players on their roster at any given time.

The player must be a player who has played only one year in college so that does a couple of things. It removes the Immediate big names and protects your rookie draft from being a dud (so, 2 years ago, once people KNEW who RG III and Andrew Luck was, it was too late to pluck them and they made it into the rookie draft). It also forces owners to take on more risk by picking a player out farther from their time to enter the league. In essence, they TRULY have to do a bit of scouting instead of just watching a guy tear it up for TWO years and then grab them, thinking they will declare early. It truly becomes a long-term strategical farm system.

This is a 14-team league, so you are talking about a scenario where IF every team maximizes its allotment, there are 28 players taken from your furutre rookie drafts at any given time.

We have only been doing this for two years so far but I think it is working well and here are a couple of things I have noticed that I think maintain a good balance without worrying about your future rookie drafts being depleted of talent:

1. Not every owner gets involved so, by default, you don't even get to the max amount of players. I think in a two-year run, we have maybe 16 out there right now. The teams that do not get involved, instead, use those picks to pick actual current rookies and that creates an entirely additional level of strategy and it appears good for the league so far.

2. As much as we like to think it, none of us are that smart. So, inevtitably, we pick complete duds. In two years, we have already seen about 3-4 players that I seriously doubt ever become fantasy relevant. PArt of this is just us being wrong and part is because we have to declare the player after that first year, giving more time for the player to be a one hit wonder, risk injury, etc.

3. Since the rules make us take a player who has only played one year, the number of players impacted in any current year draft is minimalized because you invariably have some players that declare early, some that stay, some that don't live up to the hype, etc.

4. Trading in the tail end up of the rookie draft picked up immensly. This is because owners watch "their" player slip through, they get a hunch to take them, and they wheel and deal for a 4th or 5th round pick and use it. Again, lots of strategy here because you can look at where a team is, know that they can not draft any more Devy players, and then make a move to come get one, etc.

Overall, in the first couple of years, the biggest impact we have seen affect our rookie draft is Giovanni Bernard and I don't think it would have been that dramatic had he not come out early, had Knile Davis and Lattimore not had their issues, and had Christine Michael and Franklin landed in a sweeter spot. All in all, it has been a very good thing for activity, for discussion, for trades, etc

Oh, and we made it very easy to monitor by the commish by creating a Taxi squad where these players roost until they make the NFL. No fuss or muss looking at rosters and trying to see if there are too many or other headaches.

WTF is devy?
Leagues with developmental players. "Devy's". College players.
A better name needs to be found. Devy's is simply awful.
Too late for that. It's not exactly a new concept or term.
I am 35 and have never heard the term "devy" until this year and only on this forum. This IS a new concept and term and a horrific one at that. Call 'em NCAA players, call 'em college players, call 'em amateurs, call 'em futures. Don't call 'em "devy's". It is just an awful sophomoric term.

WTF is devy?
I am 35 and have never heard the term "devy" until this year and only on this forum. This IS a new concept and term and a horrific one at that. Call 'em NCAA players, call 'em college players, call 'em amateurs, call 'em futures. Don't call 'em "devy's". It is just an awful sophomoric term.
Well, your personal anecdote has convinced me. This just came into being. In 2013. On this forum. A two minute search led me to these:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=462096&p=10135766

http://forum.dynastyleaguefootball.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16776&p=134016&hilit=Devy+league#p134016

http://dynastyfootballwarehouse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=183&p=2536&hilit=Devy#p2536

These results are from 2009, 2011 and 2012 respectively. From three different dynasty communities. I'm sure with two more minutes I could go back further.

It's a widely used term, and it isn't new, no matter how old you are. You're gonna have to get over it.

WTF is devy?
Well, your personal anecdote has convinced me. This just came into being. In 2013. On this forum. A two minute search led me to these:

http://forum.dynastyleaguefootball.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16776&p=134016&hilit=Devy+league#p134016

http://dynastyfootballwarehouse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=183&p=2536&hilit=Devy#p2536

These results are from 2009, 2011 and 2012 respectively. From three different dynasty communities. I'm sure with two more minutes I could go back further.

It's a widely used term, and it isn't new, no matter how old you are. You're gonna have to get over it.
I am not going to get over it. You are already in hot water because you made that weird GordonGekko guy delete all his posts.

WTF is devy?
Well, your personal anecdote has convinced me. This just came into being. In 2013. On this forum.A two minute search led me to these:

I am not going to get over it.You are already in hot water because you made that weird GordonGekko guy delete all his posts.
If I could really take credit for that, I think I might actually be a hero around here. Is he gone from the FFA all of a sudden?

WTF is devy?
Well, your personal anecdote has convinced me. This just came into being. In 2013. On this forum.A two minute search led me to these:

I am not going to get over it.You are already in hot water because you made that weird GordonGekko guy delete all his posts.
If I could really take credit for that, I think I might actually be a hero around here. Is he gone from the FFA all of a sudden?
I last came across him in The Killing Season 3 thread. He wrote 2,000-word documents on each episode and then would delete the posts the following day. That way nobody could find out his true identity or some #### like that.

Users who are viewing this thread