What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Perfect QBBC (1 Viewer)

NeonDeion21

Footballguy
What is the best combination for a QBBC? Let's assume the following quarterbacks have already been selected:

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

Peyton Manning

Cam Newton

Tom Brady

Matt Ryan

Matt Stafford

Colin Kaepernick

RGIII

Russell Wilson

Tony Romo

That leaves us with the following QBs:

QB12: Eli Manning

QB13: Michael Vick

QB14: Andy Dalton

QB15: Ben Roethlisberger

QB16: Jay Cutler

QB17: Joe Flacco

QB18: Phillip Rivers

QB19: Carson Palmer

QB20: Sam Bradford

QB21: Josh Freeman

QB22: Matt Schaub

QB23: Ryan Tannehill

Who would you take assuming you can select only 2?

In order to answer the question, you kinda have to look at the SOS here, which I haven't yet. I mean, that is sorta the whole point of this theory isn't it? ...Anybody can take a stud in a vacuum and just say I'll plug him in no matter what. With this approach, theoretically, you wait on qb and take 2-3 ok guys that have coordinated great matchups. I actually put much more weight in Strength of Schedule than most pretend football owners as it pertains to QB and RB especially. And, especially as it comes to the end of season run. This season, with the depth at qb, there will be much more than scraps after the first 8-11 guys are taken. It's a good year to wait, and I think a lot of people will be doing it.

My understanding is that the highest-likely-production QBBC once those guys (and Luck) are all gone is Roethlisberger + Eli, based on their ceilings/floors, and combined schedule.

Agree or disagree?

If agree, which one do you take first?

Do you take the next one immediately after?

Or do you wait?

Let's say you pick one of them to take first, and then the other is picked up by an opponent. Who is your next selection (or two) to pair with them?

For example, say you want Eli/Big Ben as your QBBC. You decide to take Eli first. Big Ben goes away. Who do you then look to match up to Eli?

If I miss out on Cam, I'm hoping for RG3. If I miss out on him, Romo. If he doesn't fall...Rivers and Bradford is my ideal combo but I'd be ok with playing Rivers and just running through the wire for a great matchup each week if Rivers has a tough one.

Ok now for a more serious response. I really like the QBBC this year, because my analysis of the position pushes me to wait at least until Ryan/Stafford and or RG3, and the same logic points to waiting until roughly QB12. However, if I'm in a league with 20 roster spots, I'm probably looking for 3 QBs if going QBBC although normally I wouldn't carry that many. If 18 player roster, then only 2 QBs. Finally, if it's a 10 team league, I'd avoid QBBC, and much prefer it in 12 teams.

When looking for QBBC candidates I'm looking for 3 things:

(1) rushing yards,

(2) a high number of attempts, and

(3) WR/TE weapons. Playing in a dome is kind of a half point. With that in mind:

Tier 1:

I think Luck and Romo are actually a faux-QBBC, but are in the discussion because of variance in ADP - FFC has them as QB11 and 12. I'd most prefer to get one of these guys and another Tier 2 guy, but that's not a true QBBC. Not really a high-risk strategy because these guys are as safe as it gets outside the Elite, probably safer than Wilson or Kaep. But I suspect in many shark leagues they will be drafted as such, probably as QBs 9 and 10.

Luck - 250 rushing yards and 5 TDs rushing, so #1. Indy already had 628 pass attempts last year (6th in the league), so Luck certainly has #2. I think Wayne counts as a decent weapon and the TEs could develop into real assets so #3. Plus dome. 3.5 points.

Romo - 658 pass attempts (3rd in the league), so #2. And Dez/Austin/Witten qualify as nice weapons, so #3. He has occassional run for more than 100 yards a year and a TD every other season, so I can't call him a rushing threat. But, dome. 2.5 points.

Tier 2

Eli - Giants were actually in the bottom half of the league for pass attempts last year, and he's never had more than 600 attempts. I guess the loss of Bradshaw points toward more passing, but this is still a Coughlin team. So no #2. Obviously no rushing yards. But Nicks & Cruz are awesome weapons, so #3 is good. No dome. I don't think Manning is going to lose a league for your, but I don't see much chance he really blows up for another 4,900 - his career baseline is closer to 4,000 and I'd expect that to stay the same. Safe, but little upside. 1 point.

Vick - I think his ADP is misleading right now. Either he'll win the camp battle, and ADP will rise, or he'll lose out and have no value at all. If he wins, I'd expect his ADP to climb up to QB10-12 range. Assuming he wins the battle, AND you can get him at QB12 or after, I like his chances. Clearly #1 rushing yards, and #3 with Maclin and Desean. It remains to be seen what Kelley will do in terms of run/pass, but clearly he's going to run a lot of plays so there's potential for all 3. I'll give him half a point for passing attempts based on Kelley's high speed offense. 2.5 points.

Dalton - nothing really interest me here. He has AJ Green, so #3 but no rushing and a conservative offense. He's like Eli Manning with less upside. NEXT. 1 point.

Big Ben - I've heard that he was on a 4,400 yard pass last year, so that suggests he's viable. Pitt was actually top half of passing attempts last year, and they still don't have much of a running game. But losing Wallace hurts because Brown and Sanders are probably better #2 and #3 WRs. Also, Miller coming off an ACL. I'll give him the point for passing attempts but that's it. 1 point.

Cutler - pretty excited about this guy. He has weapons in Marshall, Bennet, hopefully Jeffrey and Forte. The new offense should be more pass heavy so not going to hold a small number of attempts against him. No rushing though. 2 points.

Flacco - again, not much interests me here. I'll wager that they'll throw it (right in the middle for pass attempts), but he doesn't have a dominant receiver, and can't run, except when playing the Bengals as a rookie. 1 point.

Rivers - all the reasons that made me dislike him last year remain. Possibly the worst WR corp in the league, and Gates is done. Also bottom half of the league in pass attempts. His old YPA shows he has talent; the question of whether or not he still has the skills is mostly irrelevant because there's no talent around him. Although I do like Vince Brown as a sleeper WR. That's the only player I would touch on this offense, aside from possibly Mathews if he falls. 0 points.

Palmer - he has Fitz, and plays on a team that can't run effectively, and he chucked it himself a lot last year on the Raiders (5th most passing attempts). Arizona had the 8th most passing attempts. Obviously no rushing. This analysis favors him, but I'd be concerned about drafting him in leagues that penalize -2 for INTs, and like him more in -1 for INTs. 2 points.

Bradford - all signs suggest STL is gearing up to enter the top 1/3 of the league in passing attempts: no primary RB, lots of offensive weapons added, and they know they can't win in their division by trying to out-smashmouth SF and Seattle. I'm going to give him a half point based on potential weapons (Cook, Austin, Givens) and a full point for an expected 600+ passing attempts. 1.5 points.

Schaub - AJ and a run heavy offense. Generously 1 point.

Josh Freeman - oh yes. Averages 200+ rushing yards a season and maybe a TD. VJax, Mike Williams, and Doug Martin are awesome weapons. And he already attempted 566 attempts last year (top half) and threw for 4,000 - I'll call that a half point for passing attempts. A 4,000 yard passer with rushing ability is a diamond in the rough this low on the ADP (round 13). 2.5 points.

Tannehill - all 3 are possibilities, as they have added Wallace, and don't appear to have much of a running game, so they should increase in passing attempts. Might run some zone read and Tannehill is athletic enough to rush (200 and 2 TDs last year). I'm going to give him 2 poitns based on weapons and rushing because Miami is still probably middle of the pack in pass attempts. 2 points.

The only other player worth mentioning, and I don't think he warrants drafting but could potentially be an early season pickup is Jake Locker. He has the chance to rush, and might have quality weapons if Britt returns to freak status.

In order of points:

Vick (but very high risk), Freeman (very low ADP), Cutler, Palmer, Tannehill, Bradford.

Putting it all together:

Luck and Romo are faux-QBBC guys as they each have the potential to get in the top 5. Great pickups. Get one of them and then a very late guy like Freeman or Tannehill or Bradford.

Failing that, grab 2 or 3 of the following guys: Vick, Cutler, Palmer, Bradford, Freeman, or Tannehill. This is the true QBBC because it would make anyone nervous as hell to come out of you draft with, say, Cutler Bradford and Freeman. But this really allows you to maximize depth at other positions, because you won't need to take Cutler until about the 11th round.

Some strategic notes - I like either QBBC strategy particularly if I grab TE Graham in the late 1st or early 2nd, because you're going to be behind at RB and WR and need to add depth. Graham + 9 RBs/WRs and then a QBBC is a solid way to build a roster. Alternatively, if I'm waiting on TE and looking for something like Olsen, Finley, or Cameron, I don't really want to go QBBC because (1) you're probably going to be weak or only average at both QB and TE, and (2) ADP starts to overlap I don't want to have to choose between Cutler and Cameron if I don't have a QB OR a TE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't do true QBBCs anymore. Picking the correct weekly matchups often enough to make it worth it is much harder in practice than in theory for a number of reasons. Anyone claiming the can or have correctly predicted all 16 matchups right is either full of #### or belongs in Vegas, not in a local FFL league.

If there's no value early on a stud QB, my rule of thumb is to wait on a QB while there's still one guy left that I'll start at least 80% of the time. This is usually around QB10-12.

My understanding is that the highest-likely-production QBBC once those guys (and Luck) are all gone is Roethlisberger + Eli, based on their ceilings/floors, and combined schedule.

Agree or disagree?
See my post above for thoughts onf why I disfavor Eli and Big Ben, but I think there is a certain logic to them because they are safe. They definitely aren't going to win the league for you, but they probably won't lose it for you. That's a nice fall-back to have. But it requires you to really maximize your early selection RBs and WRs, taking those with high upside who might hit big. If you simply have average RBs and WRs, adding an average QBBC isn't going to do much. Instead, I think you can get guys later on (Cutler, Palmer, Bradford, Freeman) are are just as likely to give you average numbers, but at a lower cost.

I really see little difference, though, between Cutler and Eli/Ben, so I'd prefer Cutler at a lower ADP.

I don't do true QBBCs anymore. Picking the correct weekly matchups often enough to make it worth it is much harder in practice than in theory for a number of reasons. Anyone claiming the can or have correctly predicted all 16 matchups right is either full of #### or belongs in Vegas, not in a local FFL league.

If there's no value early on a stud QB, my rule of thumb is to wait on a QB while there's still one guy left that I'll start at least 80% of the time. This is usually around QB10-12.
To be fair you don't have to make the correct all every single week. Not even the stud QB's are going to put up good numbers every single week.

To be fair you don't have to make the correct all every single week. Not even the stud QB's are going to put up good numbers every single week.
It's just one less decision that has to be made on a weekly basis. I think there's value in that. A lot of people base their QBBCs on getting as close as possible to stud QB numbers by picking matchups but it's not as easy as it seems. There's also the issue where if you do happen to find a great QBBC in terms of matchups, you're gonna have to pull the trigger on these QBs a little earlier than their ADP to guarantee getting the combo otherwise you might get stuck with a combo that's not as optimal.

Romo and Luck are QB1s IMO. No reason to take both of them.

High end QB1s

--Aaron Rodgers
--Drew Brees
--Peyton Manning
--Robert Griffin III
--Cam Newton

Low end QB1s
--Matt Ryan
--Colin Kaepernick
--Tom Brady
--Matthew Stafford
--Andrew Luck
--Russell Wilson
--Tony Romo

QBBCs
--Andy Dalton
--Ben Roethlisberger
--Michael Vick?
--Eli Manning
--Philip Rivers
--Josh Freeman
--Joe Flacco
--Sam Bradford

Backups to QB1s

--Matt Schaub
--Jake Locker
--Jay Cutler

--EJ Manuel?

--Nick Foles?
--Matt Flynn
--Brandon Weeden
--Alex Smith
--Ryan Tannehill
--Carson Palmer
--Christian Ponder

I really like the Freeman/Bradford pairing from the QBBC group. In addition to being solid options they both have upside as they enter their peak years -- and both are in situations that could be better than last year (more stable, better personnel, etc).

I took a quick and dirty look at some of last year's QBBC candidates and looked at their matchups trying to see how their games ended up and whether people would've probably started or sat them based on the matchup

Probable sit = you probably would've sat the QB based on the matchup but they ended up having a good game.

Probable start = you probably would've started the QB based on the matchup but they ended up having a bad game.

Andy Dalton

Probable sit: @Was, Denver, NYG

Probable Start: Miami, KC, @SD

So there's 6 games on Dalton's schedule where most people likely picked the wrong matchup.

Ben Roethlisberger (played 13 games)

Probable sit: @Denver, Was, @Dal

Probable Start: KC, Cin

5 out of 13 games here.

Matt Schaub

Probable sit: @Den,

Probable Start: Miami, @Jax, Ten, @NYJ, GB, @Ten, Min

7 out of 16 games where Schaub underachieved.

Obviously, this also depends on who your other QB in the committee was, but I think this shows that playing matchups is harder than it looks.

The points made above are why i like qbbc in best ball but not so much in normal leagues.

Although i am working a peyton/brees qbbc in a dynasty league. I suspect i will be wrong more often than right.

The points made above are why i like qbbc in best ball but not so much in normal leagues.

Although i am working a peyton/brees qbbc in a dynasty league. I suspect i will be wrong more often than right.
I don't really see the point of this. I mean, I totally get the point of holding onto Peyton to ensure studly bye-week production and in case of injury, especially if you can't get much on the open market.

But there's no reason to bench Brees no matter how juicy Peyton's matchup is, is there? It's just too likely that you'll end up kicking yourself for getting too cute.

One of the benefits of having a guy like Brees is being able to set it and forget it every week.

I don't really see the point of this. I mean, I totally get the point of holding onto Peyton to ensure studly bye-week production and in case of injury, especially if you can't get much on the open market. But there's no reason to bench Brees no matter how juicy Peyton's matchup is, is there? It's just too likely that you'll end up kicking yourself for getting too cute.

One of the benefits of having a guy like Brees is being able to set it and forget it every week.
I mostly agree, but peyton did outscore brees in 6 games last year (though not by much) and added Welker. the only reasons I'm keeping both is the low interest and to prevent others from starting them. I wouldn't call starting Manning "cute" butt it would be tough to bench brees.

big fan of stud QB theory. QB's typically are your highest point scorers, no sense in screwing around here. Forget the VBD score for a moment and look at the raw projected points - is that something you really want to get cute with?

I've tried QBBC in the past and gotten burnt. It sucks trying to find a QB off of the WW or trading from a position of desperation. I say get your QB early and be done with it.

I guess I just don't really see the need for QBBC this year in a 12-team league. Luck and Romo are going 11 and 12, and strike me as totally strong fantasy starters. The injection of last year's four new starters with only Rivers and Vick really falling out has very much deepened the pool.

In a 14-team league, I like the Cutler/Palmer combo, but Rivers is a value at QB18 right now. Freeman, too. Palmer, Rivers, and Freeman are the three I'd like to look at harder if you're going cheap.

big fan of stud QB theory. QB's typically are your highest point scorers, no sense in screwing around here. Forget the VBD score for a moment and look at the raw projected points - is that something you really want to get cute with?

I've tried QBBC in the past and gotten burnt. It sucks trying to find a QB off of the WW or trading from a position of desperation. I say get your QB early and be done with it.
I agree with this and what butcher boy are saying. I don't think this is the year to try and play QBBC, with how deep the QB position is. QBBC sounds like a solid theory, until you have to decide every week who you are going to start. And to try and judge from last years SOS is like a crap shoot. With team defensive rankings changing so drastically from year to year, you may think one of your QBBC has an easy match up, to find out that team he's playing is now a top 10 defense against the pass this year. You can grab a nice QB1 in the middle rounds, between rounds 6-10, depending on how far some of them drop this year. And do you really want to have another decision on who to start at QB every week. Get your solid QB1 in the middle rounds and be done with it.

If going QBBC, I would go all in with Freeman as one of the QBs -- and I've been fairly critical of him. However, he's in a make or break year and he has a really, really strong offense around him. Two very good WRs, a very good RB, and a very good OLine. Plus, you know he's going to have to throw a lot to keep up with NO and Atl.

Eli has a high floor, but also limited upside. I wouldn't mind him as a second option. If Vick wins the starting job though, he's got to have high consideration, given the weapons and his ability to run the ball.

A lot of :yucky: :X with those other QBBC guys though. Makes me lean heavily toward getting a legit QB1...

I guess I just don't really see the need for QBBC this year in a 12-team league. Luck and Romo are going 11 and 12, and strike me as totally strong fantasy starters. The injection of last year's four new starters with only Rivers and Vick really falling out has very much deepened the pool.

In a 14-team league, I like the Cutler/Palmer combo, but Rivers is a value at QB18 right now. Freeman, too. Palmer, Rivers, and Freeman are the three I'd like to look at harder if you're going cheap.
Exactly.

I'm focusing in on Cutler in a 12 team league and two rounds later I can possibly grab Rivers as my #2.

I like Ben/Cutler a bit.

If I go QBBC, I'm secretly hoping one of them plays well enough to kill the committee...

Tannehill's schedule:

NE - plays NE twice, but they haven't been a shutdown def for a while.

@BUF

KC

@OAK

BYE

GB

@CHI

@JAC

SD

@DET - suck vs the pass

BUF

@DEN - garbage points

@NYJ

BAL

@NE

MIN

This is a gift schedule worth gambling on as a QB2/QBBC. In dynasty, sell high if he puts up a top-10 season, everyone will go crazy.

You guys know some of the posts you are responding to are from 2013, right? However, it's funny because many of them are still relevant. I guess it just shows how stable the QB spot mostly is.

If only two, then Eli and Dalton.
4 years later and this combo might still work. 

Any thoughts on qbbc for 2017?  How do you decide who to start if you have two good, but not spectacular options?  I'll be debating between Mariota and Eli all year in one league, brees and Russell Wilson in another. 

Ignoring top 6 Qbs I like any 2 of: Rivers, Carr, Dalton, Mariota, Wilson, Stafford, Wentz, Eli, Cousins, Cam.

I particularly like Rivers, Stafford and Cousins.

Some third wheel guys i like are Tyrod and Tannehill.

Im targetting Brady/Roethlisberger this year though, but where i cant get one of them definitely going commitee approach.

4 years later and this combo might still work. 

Any thoughts on qbbc for 2017?  How do you decide who to start if you have two good, but not spectacular options?  I'll be debating between Mariota and Eli all year in one league, brees and Russell Wilson in another. 
Brees/Wilson would likely come down to who is at home this week, generally (with Brees being the default option).

Mariota/Eli is an interesting combo as both teams have really loaded up on options in the passing game - I'd play the matchups (based opponents pass defense) but may just use Mariota as the default option and only bench him when the matchups are real bad - his rushing stats being the difference. 

Brees/Wilson would likely come down to who is at home this week, generally (with Brees being the default option).

Mariota/Eli is an interesting combo as both teams have really loaded up on options in the passing game - I'd play the matchups (based opponents pass defense) but may just use Mariota as the default option and only bench him when the matchups are real bad - his rushing stats being the difference. 
I think I agree and will probably just roll with MM, but the analysis is interesting and I've never done well with it. 

When you're talking about Matchups, are you just looking at the past few games, or judging based on your assessment? What about home field or dome? 

For example, while I think I'd normally start a qb against Dallas over a qb against Oakland, but the Titans play at home.  How much does home field really help?  

I think I agree and will probably just roll with MM, but the analysis is interesting and I've never done well with it. 

When you're talking about Matchups, are you just looking at the past few games, or judging based on your assessment? What about home field or dome? 

For example, while I think I'd normally start a qb against Dallas over a qb against Oakland, but the Titans play at home.  How much does home field really help?  
I'm mostly just talking about pass defense rankings/statistics (but my assessment would factor in). And, then yes, you would need to take those other factors (including weather) into consideration. Like you suggest, the danger is always picking the wrong guy though - which is likely why I'd pick one guy as my default and mostly stick with him.

I used to wait on drafting QB's a lot more than I do now with the intent more on hoping to find a regular starter over mixing and matching. I would take 3 guys after all the other teams had a starter (and maybe some had back ups).

The issue I have with some of the combinations being suggested (not just in this thread) is it takes up too much draft capital to get a Brees/Wilson, Big Ben/Carr, or a combination of other QB's being drafted as QB1's. 

This year, if you really loaded up on other positions early, you could probably get away with something like a Dalton / Flacco combo. Dalton was a Top 3 QB a few years ago and was Top 8 before he got hurt 2 years ago. CIN added Ross and should have Eifert back (who knows what impact Mixon will have). BAL had the most pass attempts in the NFL last year and added Maclin. I still don't see them having much of a running game. With only 3 more TD passes last year, Flacco would have been a fantasy QB1.

That would get you a passable combo by investing 10th and 13th round picks (or thereabouts).

I used to wait on drafting QB's a lot more than I do now with the intent more on hoping to find a regular starter over mixing and matching. I would take 3 guys after all the other teams had a starter (and maybe some had back ups).

The issue I have with some of the combinations being suggested (not just in this thread) is it takes up too much draft capital to get a Brees/Wilson, Big Ben/Carr, or a combination of other QB's being drafted as QB1's. 

This year, if you really loaded up on other positions early, you could probably get away with something like a Dalton / Flacco combo. Dalton was a Top 3 QB a few years ago and was Top 8 before he got hurt 2 years ago. CIN added Ross and should have Eifert back (who knows what impact Mixon will have). BAL had the most pass attempts in the NFL last year and added Maclin. I still don't see them having much of a running game. With only 3 more TD passes last year, Flacco would have been a fantasy QB1.

That would get you a passable combo by investing 10th and 13th round picks (or thereabouts).
Wow didn't realize that about Bal or flacco

Yeah he only threw 20 tds.  That sucks

Like Anarchy, when I draft what looks like a QBBC, I'm really just hoping to find a breakout guy cheap, so when rosters allow, I usually go 3QB. It's worked well in recent years. Had a lot of Rivers shares in 2013, and sometimes both Palmer and Newton on the same teams in 2015. Matt Ryan in 2016. 

So generally speaking, when I do this, I am the 12th person to draft a QB which means QBs with an ADP of QB10 or better are almost certainly gone. Thinking of this year, I hear Dalton's name called a lot, but the dude just lost his offensive line. I think he's actually going to require a few breaks just to hit his ADP (QB17). I like AJ Green and Eifert, but he's going to need the OL to hold up for some 5 and 7 step drops and it's just not going to happen. Flacco is due for a major regression in passing attempts, so I'm going to pass on him, as well.

Guys that I do like:

QB14 Rivers - OL should be a little better, but more importantly he gets his WR1 back this year to go along with a healthy Benjamin and a more developed Tyrell + Henry. He was QB8 last year and has the same OC.

QB15 Stafford - his OL should be improved and he gets back healthy versions of some injured players: Marvin, Abdullah, and Riddick. He finished QB7 last year and has the same OC.

QB21 Palmer - the narrative you'll hear is that last year's downturn was due to age, but the reality is that the offensive line crapped the bed as did Floyd and Brown. The OL looks to be a solid unit in 2017. I believe Palmer + Arians = a great fit, as evidenced by 2015. John Brown is back as is Jaron Brown.

QB22 Tannehill - hard to have a lot of faith in him at this point, so I'm really placing my faith in Adam Gase. None of the WR/TE pieces are particularly shiny, but as a whole it appears to be a solid unit. The OL is a young unit, so it's a bit of an unknown. I'm a little shaky on this one, but I think things were turning around for him and the Dolphins last year before he got hurt. In his last 5 game he had 11 TD to 5 INT on only 148 PA. He also set a career high in YPA last year with 7.70 (previous high was an unremarkable 7.17). 

----------------

If I missed getting at least 2 of those 4 guys, I guess I'd take a shot on Hoyer. I think the QB in a Shannahan offense can compile some numbers, but I don't like Garcon and Kerley as a 1-2 punch, so Hoyer is purely a desperation play. I'd probably take Flacco ahead of him in leagues with locked rosters, but at this point I'm probably trading for a QB, so I might as well wait 4-5 rounds and grab Hoyer.

Like Anarchy, when I draft what looks like a QBBC, I'm really just hoping to find a breakout guy cheap, so when rosters allow, I usually go 3QB. It's worked well in recent years. Had a lot of Rivers shares in 2013, and sometimes both Palmer and Newton on the same teams in 2015. Matt Ryan in 2016. 

So generally speaking, when I do this, I am the 12th person to draft a QB which means QBs with an ADP of QB10 or better are almost certainly gone. Thinking of this year, I hear Dalton's name called a lot, but the dude just lost his offensive line. I think he's actually going to require a few breaks just to hit his ADP (QB17). I like AJ Green and Eifert, but he's going to need the OL to hold up for some 5 and 7 step drops and it's just not going to happen. Flacco is due for a major regression in passing attempts, so I'm going to pass on him, as well.

Guys that I do like:

QB14 Rivers - OL should be a little better, but more importantly he gets his WR1 back this year to go along with a healthy Benjamin and a more developed Tyrell + Henry. He was QB8 last year and has the same OC.

QB15 Stafford - his OL should be improved and he gets back healthy versions of some injured players: Marvin, Abdullah, and Riddick. He finished QB7 last year and has the same OC.

QB21 Palmer - the narrative you'll hear is that last year's downturn was due to age, but the reality is that the offensive line crapped the bed as did Floyd and Brown. The OL looks to be a solid unit in 2017. I believe Palmer + Arians = a great fit, as evidenced by 2015. John Brown is back as is Jaron Brown.

QB22 Tannehill - hard to have a lot of faith in him at this point, so I'm really placing my faith in Adam Gase. None of the WR/TE pieces are particularly shiny, but as a whole it appears to be a solid unit. The OL is a young unit, so it's a bit of an unknown. I'm a little shaky on this one, but I think things were turning around for him and the Dolphins last year before he got hurt. In his last 5 game he had 11 TD to 5 INT on only 148 PA. He also set a career high in YPA last year with 7.70 (previous high was an unremarkable 7.17). 

----------------

If I missed getting at least 2 of those 4 guys, I guess I'd take a shot on Hoyer. I think the QB in a Shannahan offense can compile some numbers, but I don't like Garcon and Kerley as a 1-2 punch, so Hoyer is purely a desperation play. I'd probably take Flacco ahead of him in leagues with locked rosters, but at this point I'm probably trading for a QB, so I might as well wait 4-5 rounds and grab Hoyer.

i had stafford last year and he started the year great.  seemed to fade in the second half but as you said they dealt with injuries.

i would buy him again cheap for sure

oh you are right.  i forgot about that.  he played multiple games with a broken finger on his throwing hand if i recall
He wasn't the same after the injury - played with a glove on his throwing hand, and I'm sure it had something to do with the decline in production.

Ignoring top 6 Qbs I like any 2 of: Rivers, Carr, Dalton, Mariota, Wilson, Stafford, Wentz, Eli, Cousins, Cam.

I particularly like Rivers, Stafford and Cousins.

Some third wheel guys i like are Tyrod and Tannehill.

Im targetting Brady/Roethlisberger this year though, but where i cant get one of them definitely going commitee approach.
Seems a good place to start...

What QBs do you take in a 12 team league knowing you'll just start them all year (assuming no injury or really bad year)

Rodgers, Brady, luck, brees - and I think that might be it. 

Wilson, Mariota, cam, Ryan, Ben, Winston, carr - I think you take these guys with the intent of starting them, but you might want a contingency plan

That's 11 QBs. So how many people actually plan on going qbbc?

Users who are viewing this thread