Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cecil Lammey

2013 Denver Broncos Training Camp reports

170 posts in this topic

It's that time of year again. I'm out at Dove Valley every day covering the Broncos for ESPN Denver. I'll have a three hour streaming video show every day of camp, and I'll be taking notes on what is happening on the practice field. Some notes will go to Twitter, the full report is posted here.

I'm watching skill positions only but will have a few defensive notes as well. If there's anything specific you'd like to know then just post it here (or hit me on Twitter) and I'll keep an eye out for ya!

:thumbup:

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/cecillammey

I'd like you to rate, on a scale of 1-10, exactly HOW sexy Peyton Manning looks day to day

This one is obvious but I would like to request to know how the RB distribution is set (ie: who lines up with the ones and in what type of packages etc.)........

I am very interested in the pecking order for the TE's. More importantly to me, Julius Thomas, he sounded like he did well in OTA's but we all know that doesn't mean much.

Thank you for any updates on this situation.

1 person likes this

Favorite thread of the year! I will get a chance to go to camp in early August as well - looking forward to that.

Favorite thread of the year! I will get a chance to go to camp in early August as well - looking forward to that.

Agree 100%.

I know you concentrate on the skill positions and offense primarily, but I would love to hear how the LB's are looking?

I love this thread every year. Looking to hear about JT.

This one is obvious but I would like to request to know how the RB distribution is set (ie: who lines up with the ones and in what type of packages etc.)........

reporting on specific packages is frowned upon and not allowed per Broncos media policy.

However, we can talk about first team, etc.

They came out in walk through and all three RBs (Moreno, Hillman, Ball) were with first team. When they did team drills there was no rotation, it was all Hillman.

I will say this about packages: it would surprise me if any other RB besides Montee Ball was in the lineup when the team was in the red zone.

I'd like you to rate, on a scale of 1-10, exactly HOW sexy Peyton Manning looks day to day

Peyton Manning looked great today. He's gotten a little sun and seems refreshed from his time on stage with Kenny Chesney and the "No Shoes Nation" tour that just made a stop in Denver.

I am very interested in the pecking order for the TE's. More importantly to me, Julius Thomas, he sounded like he did well in OTA's but we all know that doesn't mean much.

Thomas lined up with the first team in 11 personnel groupings. Not exclusively, but did catch some passes from Manning.

1 person likes this

Let me know when you're there, I would love to chat Broncos with you!

Would like to hear about the competition at MLB between Irving and Johnson.

who has the leg up in the battle to be the #4 WR? Have heard good things about Lamaar Thomas. Assume King, Orton, and Robinson are in the mix as well...

Decker is a free agent after this year, so what are the chances he moves on and one of those young guys have to step up?

mundane, pedestrian question, but gots to know how things are shaking out with ball and hillman...

who is better inside runner and has quicker feet through the hole, as gibbs prefers...

pass pro and receiving...

guessing no comment about specific formations (ie - goal line)... to rephrase, who scores more TDs this season? :)

reporting on specific packages is frowned upon and not allowed per Broncos media policy.

However, we can talk about first team, etc.

They came out in walk through and all three RBs (Moreno, Hillman, Ball) were with first team. When they did team drills there was no rotation, it was all Hillman.

I will say this about packages: it would surprise me if any other RB besides Montee Ball was in the lineup when the team was in the red zone.

Thanks for the update. I did not really mean packages per se, but the bolded above is what I was looking for. Thank you!

Let me know when you're there, I would love to chat Broncos with you!

cool man. I'll be there Monday aug 5th and/or Tuesday aug 6th. I'll be the guy in the Elway jersey.

Cecil how is Demaryius looking? Good chemistry with Peyton even with Welker there.

Thomas lined up with the first team in 11 personnel groupings. Not exclusively, but did catch some passes from Manning.

With Welker, Thomas and Decker, are there enough balls left over for a TE?

who has the leg up in the battle to be the #4 WR? Have heard good things about Lamaar Thomas. Assume King, Orton, and Robinson are in the mix as well...

Decker is a free agent after this year, so what are the chances he moves on and one of those young guys have to step up?

Caldwell caught most everything thrown his way yesterday, but King's quickness and run after the catch ability looked better. I've said since King was drafted that he could start in 2014 if Decker leaves via free agency.

unlikley AND

I think it's going to be TEBC. Julius Thomas could start (running with the 1s) but Dreesen is the best blocker and best red zone threat. TEBC on a team that has de-emphasized the position with 11 personnel (3WR) as the base formation.

mundane, pedestrian question, but gots to know how things are shaking out with ball and hillman...

who is better inside runner and has quicker feet through the hole, as gibbs prefers...

pass pro and receiving...

guessing no comment about specific formations (ie - goal line)... to rephrase, who scores more TDs this season? :)

Ball gets more rushing TDs this year regardless of who is the starter.

Starter is a ceremonial term with Broncos backs, it's Thunder & Lightning "hot hand" RBBC here.

Hillman wins the foot frequency battle. Has retained his speed, added 20 lbs of muscle, and is more decisive this year. Made several big runs yesterday on cutbacks.

Let's see Ball when the pads come on. He impressed me most as a receiver yesterday. As a runner he was getting swallowed up with the second team.

Just curious, how healthy is Moreno now?

not a problem now. He was limited in minicamp and OTAs but has been doing everything (individual drills, team drills) at training camp.

Cecil how is Demaryius looking? Good chemistry with Peyton even with Welker there.

Demaryius is more than fine! His chemistry with Manning is the strongest out of the 3 stud WRs here in Denver. Welker takes targets away from TEs and Decker, not from Demaryius IMHO.

1 person likes this

Tavarius King updates greatly appreciated! :)

Kid looked like a stud yesterday. His wheels are incredible and he can eat up cushions quickly. Stood out to me with RAC skills he didn't flash that often on tape or at the Senior Bowl.

1 person likes this

that's what she said

Thanks for the updates Cecil.

Starter is a ceremonial term with Broncos backs, it's Thunder & Lightning "hot hand" RBBC here.

Hillman wins the foot frequency battle. Has retained his speed, added 20 lbs of muscle, and is more decisive this year. Made several big runs yesterday on cutbacks.

Let's see Ball when the pads come on. He impressed me most as a receiver yesterday. As a runner he was getting swallowed up with the second team.

I think I must have missed the bolded somehow. He's up 20 lbs? Has he maintained the same quickness and explosiveness? If so, that added weight likely helps him a ton in pass pro and running between the tackles.

He became a lot more intriguing to me with that news.

No. 83 Wes Welker: Welker is a professional ankle breaker. You have to wear a brace when watching him from field level. He gets open every time, every time! Welker is already showing strong chemistry with QB Peyton Manning and should become a favorite target. On short yardage situations the Broncos don’t need to bang it between the tackles hoping for a first-down. They can just run Welker on a jerk route and he’ll move the chains.
No. 87 Eric Decker: Decker was working routes all over the field today. He was working the sideline with ease and making sure to get two feet down. I expect his numbers to go down with the addition of Welker but he could still be a near 1,000 yard receiver. It wouldn’t surprise me if Manning threw for over 5,000 yards for the first time in his career. There’s enough to go around for all three receivers. Decker did work a deep route that Manning put just out of reach. That timing should be back the closer we get to the regular season.

you are killing me. I don't think my heart can take the anticipation of pre-season.

I think I must have missed the bolded somehow. He's up 20 lbs? Has he maintained the same quickness and explosiveness? If so, that added weight likely helps him a ton in pass pro and running between the tackles.

Still fast, explosive, and more decisive this year. He worked out in LA with good friend Travelle Gaines. T has worked with Reggie Bush, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Marshawn Lynch.

Here's a B/R video about his offseason work: http://t.co/clWGkA1fmM

195 at the combine, 180 playing weight last year. So "+20" is relative. He's probably around his combine weight again, with no evidence yet he can keep the weight on.

Yeha I didn't realize he fell off to the sub-180 range late last year, but would certainly explain the struggles in running between the tackles and pass pro. I'm still skeptical, honestly...

If he's 200 lbs and can stay at 200, perhaps there's something here. But he struggled to keep the weight on before, so why should we believe he'll keep it on this time?

And you've got a rookie bruiser who's also excelling according to reports, and already getting first team reps.

Just seems like a confusing situation to me. I *want* to believe in the Hillman hype as I can acquire him relatively cheaply in my dynasty, but I've got zero shot at Ball.

I don't want to steal Lammey's thunder, but made the trek to camp today and here are a few fantasy-relevant tidbits. No pads today.

Hillman got 1st crack with the 1s and Ball rotated with him

From what I could tell Moreno played strictly with the 2s and got some special teams work. He looks substantially bigger, especially his legs. He made a nice adjustment on a throw from Osweiler for a decent gain.

Tamme, Dreessen and Julius Thomas rotated with the 1s at TE. Thomas is massive and he looked pretty polished running routes against the 1st team d. He could be in for a breakout or semibreakout season at TE.

Welker and Manning seem to have a very good chemistry already.

Bubba Caldwell had a huge gain down the sideline on a well-thrown ball from Osewiler. I don't think he makes much of a fantasy impact this year, and long-term I think King surpasses Caldwell.

Osweiler has a really good arm and looked comfortable running the 2nd team O. He has the physical talent to play QB down the road.

1 person likes this