What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Riley Cooper (2 Viewers)

Here it is again : If he did jump that fence he would have got knocked the F out by the first brotha he ran up on!

I don't like accidental racism and fake sincere apologies...
Your take, but I think it's best to give the benefit of the doubt. Kind of hard to express your tolerance if you immediately condemn someone for a one time slip. He may well be ta racist, but I'm going to take him at his word and wish him the best.

LuckyOne said:
BrothaMan said:
I don't like accidental racism and fake sincere apologies...
Your take, but I think it's best to give the benefit of the doubt. Kind of hard to express your tolerance if you immediately condemn someone for a one time slip. He may well be ta racist, but I'm going to take him at his word and wish him the best.
Yes he seems a belligerent jack ### in the video and then a rather sad broken man at the press conference. This is how people are on the whole.. Not racist I mean but contradictory polarized, inscrutable.

He's not the first NFL player to say something unconscionably stupid and he won't be the last.

Anyone got him as a deep dynasty Racist Special stash?

Last edited by a moderator:
steveski said:
ShaHBucks said:
steveski said:
Greg Russell said:
I bet 75% of the people on the Eagles roster have used the N word in the locker room. It's just only wrong if a white person says it...which is oddly racist.

Before I get flamed, I'm definitely not defending Cooper. I think he's wrong for what he did.
Ever hear of a homonym or slang?
Of course, but I don't understand how it's SO offensive if a white guy says it, but if a black guy says it to them then it actually means a good thing? I know it's not okay to call people racist terms, and the N word is definitely a racist term. I just don't understand when/why it became for black people to call other black people the N word and it's okay? Indians don't go around calling each other Redskins.

Edit: And I do understand the context in which someone is saying it DOES matter. I just think that if it was such a terrible, most offensive thing someone could possibly say, then why do they say it themselves?
If Cooper walked into a locker room and said to a black teammate in a genuinely warm tone, "hello my n---a," and they got upset about it, then what you're talking about might have some validity as a topic of discussion.

But that isn't what happened. Cooper used the word to mean it's most racist meaning. His intention for it was to carry the full racist context.

It being ok for a black person to use it in a clearly non-racist context does not mean it's ok for Cooper to use in a clearly racist context.

Cooper deserves the grief he gets. It's a good thing for society to see it happen. Kids who are being brought up by otherwise racist parents need to see that being racist isn't going to be quietly tolerated in our society. Let's not try to spin this into some argument about non-racist use of the word. That doesn't apply to what happened.
I agree. I'm not trying to defend his actions and I understand that context is everything. I know my argument is off topic here and I know people probably disagree with me so this is the last time I'll say anything. My point is that if it's going to continue being a hate/racist word forever then maybe they should stop calling each other the same name. To me, it makes the use of the word "less" racist. My only other justification for him is that maybe he grew up in a racist family. It still doesn't make it alright, but maybe his family always acted that way. He was obviously drunk and angry. Don't most NFL players hate being opposed when they are confronted in public, especially while in public?

Again, what he said was absolutely wrong and I'm completely against any type of racism. I'm just trying to explain this situation (mainly to myself) based on my personal life experiences and through meeting tons of people ranging from growing up in Harlem to never seeing a black person in their life. A child has no control over where they grew up and who there parents are. They do have control over their own lives when they are adults. Alcohol makes people make bad decisions and people say bad #### when they are drunk and mad. I've met way more racist people in my life that have never even said the N word. He's paying the price now for his mistake which was saying a word. To me, it seems like he's being attacked more then people who abuse their wives/girlfriends and who assault people in bars. Nobody seems to care about that.
It really just seems like your looking to point fingers. It's not a word that is acceptable to use in any home or social setting. I just commented because there's a reason offense is taking if the word is used out of context.
You're right. It's a word that shouldn't be used in any home or social setting. I disagree on the context thought. If it's going to be a bad word, it should be irregardless of context. If it's going to ruin somebody's life then I think it shouldn't be okay if a black person said the same thing. If a black guy said the same to another black guy out of anger, do you think he'd be receiving the same treatment? If a black guy said the worst possible insult to a white guy, do you think he'd be receiving the same treatment? Probably not.
Again you're pointing fingers. We are talking about the english language here. Words take different shapes and forms in different times, tones, and places. Even Riley Cooper didn't mean what a slave owner meant when he used the word in the 1600s. You can't ignore context in the language we speak. Like I said before, I could choke my girlfriend on a wall and call her a stupid sltty btch and she'd be turned on by it in the bedroom. If I did that to her while were at Wal-Mart it a completely different story. Riley Cooper has every right to say what he wants to say in America. What he can't do is choose how other people react or tell them they can't be offended for one reason or another. Personally, Riley Cooper only offended himself and his family when that video broke. That's my choice regardless of if he's racist or not.

And yes, if J. Maclin was on film saying "I'll jump over this fence and fight all you crackers," his reputation and social status would be assaulted by the media as he and his family would lose all respect.

steveski said:
ShaHBucks said:
steveski said:
Greg Russell said:
I bet 75% of the people on the Eagles roster have used the N word in the locker room. It's just only wrong if a white person says it...which is oddly racist.

Before I get flamed, I'm definitely not defending Cooper. I think he's wrong for what he did.
Of course, but I don't understand how it's SO offensive if a white guy says it, but if a black guy says it to them then it actually means a good thing? I know it's not okay to call people racist terms, and the N word is definitely a racist term. I just don't understand when/why it became for black people to call other black people the N word and it's okay? Indians don't go around calling each other Redskins.

Edit: And I do understand the context in which someone is saying it DOES matter. I just think that if it was such a terrible, most offensive thing someone could possibly say, then why do they say it themselves?
If Cooper walked into a locker room and said to a black teammate in a genuinely warm tone, "hello my n---a," and they got upset about it, then what you're talking about might have some validity as a topic of discussion.

But that isn't what happened. Cooper used the word to mean it's most racist meaning. His intention for it was to carry the full racist context.

It being ok for a black person to use it in a clearly non-racist context does not mean it's ok for Cooper to use in a clearly racist context.

Cooper deserves the grief he gets. It's a good thing for society to see it happen. Kids who are being brought up by otherwise racist parents need to see that being racist isn't going to be quietly tolerated in our society. Let's not try to spin this into some argument about non-racist use of the word. That doesn't apply to what happened.
I agree. I'm not trying to defend his actions and I understand that context is everything. I know my argument is off topic here and I know people probably disagree with me so this is the last time I'll say anything. My point is that if it's going to continue being a hate/racist word forever then maybe they should stop calling each other the same name. To me, it makes the use of the word "less" racist. My only other justification for him is that maybe he grew up in a racist family. It still doesn't make it alright, but maybe his family always acted that way. He was obviously drunk and angry. Don't most NFL players hate being opposed when they are confronted in public, especially while in public?

Again, what he said was absolutely wrong and I'm completely against any type of racism. I'm just trying to explain this situation (mainly to myself) based on my personal life experiences and through meeting tons of people ranging from growing up in Harlem to never seeing a black person in their life. A child has no control over where they grew up and who there parents are. They do have control over their own lives when they are adults. Alcohol makes people make bad decisions and people say bad #### when they are drunk and mad. I've met way more racist people in my life that have never even said the N word. He's paying the price now for his mistake which was saying a word. To me, it seems like he's being attacked more then people who abuse their wives/girlfriends and who assault people in bars. Nobody seems to care about that.
It really just seems like your looking to point fingers. It's not a word that is acceptable to use in any home or social setting. I just commented because there's a reason offense is taking if the word is used out of context.
You're right. It's a word that shouldn't be used in any home or social setting. I disagree on the context thought. If it's going to be a bad word, it should be irregardless of context. If it's going to ruin somebody's life then I think it shouldn't be okay if a black person said the same thing. If a black guy said the same to another black guy out of anger, do you think he'd be receiving the same treatment? If a black guy said the worst possible insult to a white guy, do you think he'd be receiving the same treatment? Probably not.
Again you're pointing fingers. We are talking about the english language here. Words take different shapes and forms in different times, tones, and places. Even Riley Cooper didn't mean what a slave owner meant when he used the word in the 1600s. You can't ignore context in the language we speak. Like I said before, I could choke my girlfriend on a wall and call her a stupid sltty btch and she'd be turned on by it in the bedroom. If I did that to her while were at Wal-Mart it a completely different story. Riley Cooper has every right to say what he wants to say in America. What he can't do is choose how other people react or tell them they can't be offended for one reason or another. Personally, Riley Cooper only offended himself and his family when that video broke. That's my choice regardless of if he's racist or not.

And yes, if J. Maclin was on film saying "I'll jump over this fence and fight all you crackers," his reputation and social status would be assaulted by the media as he and his family would lose all respect.
You are so ####### dumm.....god bless the U.S.A

steveski said:
Greg Russell said:

I agree. I'm not trying to defend his actions and I understand that context is everything. I know my argument is off topic here and I know people probably disagree with me so this is the last time I'll say anything. My point is that if it's going to continue being a hate/racist word forever then maybe they should stop calling each other the same name. To me, it makes the use of the word "less" racist.

My only other justification for him is that maybe he grew up in a racist family. It still doesn't make it alright, but maybe his family always acted that way. He was obviously drunk and angry. Don't most NFL players hate being opposed when they are confronted in public, especially while in public?

As long as people use it like Riley Cooper did to express hate and/or racism, the one meaning is going to continue to be that of hate/racism. Regardless of how anyone else uses it or doesn't use it.

Isn't Cooper supposed to be one of Tebow's best friend and roommate from college?

Even if Cooper grew up with a highly racist family, not saying he did. I don't understand how a guy could spend several years in collage at UF and then several years in the NFL and not "get it."

The word has 3 definitions according to Webster, you know, the people who write about about the definitions of words...

1- a black person

2- a member of any dark-skinned race

3- a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons or group of people who feel left out of the political process.

Nothing about racism. Stop treating the word with your own interpretations and treat it how it is. It is not my fault people are offended by the word used over 100 years ago that does not mean what everyone thinks it does. Is the group of people offended by this word going to continue to act like its offensive even though they are the only ones allowed to use it? Yeah hypocrites.

Stop it already, its a word, that certain people gave meaning too. Also, just because you say the word does not make you racist, get your head right. Ridiculous and ignorant any person or group of people who think so. Ironic we want to preach about rights the ones offended by the words have, but what about the right we have to use any word.

In order for the times to change, I think the only thing that will do it is stop acting like the word is anything more than that... a word.

Remember this word is only offensive because of the lack of education of what the word really means.

Isn't Cooper supposed to be one of Tebow's best friend and roommate from college?

Even if Cooper grew up with a highly racist family, not saying he did. I don't understand how a guy could spend several years in collage at UF and then several years in the NFL and not "get it."
didn't work too well for Aaron Hernandez either

There is a whole nother side to this story that is equally disturbing. Is it not disgusting that others like to see people get in trouble way to much, and on top of that, like to profit from others misery. Like the person who recorded a video and released it is any less hateful of a person then a person who uses such racist words.

The word has 3 definitions according to Webster, you know, the people who write about about the definitions of words...

1- a black person

3- a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons or group of people who feel left out of the political process.

Nothing about racism. Stop treating the word with your own interpretations and treat it how it is. It is not my fault people are offended by the word used over 100 years ago that does not mean what everyone thinks it does. Is the group of people offended by this word going to continue to act like its offensive even though they are the only ones allowed to use it? Yeah hypocrites.

Stop it already, its a word, that certain people gave meaning too. Also, just because you say the word does not make you racist, get your head right. Ridiculous and ignorant any person or group of people who think so. Ironic we want to preach about rights the ones offended by the words have, but what about the right we have to use any word.

In order for the times to change, I think the only thing that will do it is stop acting like the word is anything more than that... a word.

Remember this word is only offensive because of the lack of education of what the word really means.

Good Posting. For those of us who have played sport most of our lives. We have had all races, colors, ethnicity throughout our lives. Would we really feel that way about a teammate, or would we be more concerned about him being a good teammate? I think the latter. People like Sharpen and Jackson make millions of these kind of statements. It's words, nothing more.

1- a black person

this is why I love the footballguys, it reminds me how fortunate I am to be living in a liberal urban paradise.

1- a black person

Link to those 3 definitions ?

1- a black person

Good Posting. For those of us who have played sport most of our lives. We have had all races, colors, ethnicity throughout our lives. Would we really feel that way about a teammate, or would we be more concerned about him being a good teammate? I think the latter. People like Sharpen and Jackson make millions of these kind of statements. It's words, nothing more.
I think your post ended up in the wrong block of quotes.

I'm pretty sure that as long as black people are horrendously offended by the word, racist folks will continue to use it. I'm wondering if it's possible for black people to not be offended by the word, and would that eventually stop whitey from using it?

1- a black person

It has an offensive word in the url, I do not feel like I should post it due to the fact I might be considered racist. But google it, it will pop up under Websters.

I'm pretty sure that as long as black people are horrendously offended by the word, racist folks will continue to use it. I'm wondering if it's possible for black people to not be offended by the word, and would that eventually stop whitey from using it?
Stop it already, what does common sense have to do with anything?

1- a black person

It's not the definition of the word, it's what it represents. I'd be willing to bet you know this, but if you can't understand that, then there's not much anyone can do about that.

1- a black person

There's too many people like this---too many for it to change.

1- a black person

It's not the definition of the word, it's what it represents. I'd be willing to bet you know this, but if you can't understand that, then there's not much anyone can do about that.
Again, then why is ok when that group uses it?

Double edge sword my friend.

1- a black person

It has an offensive word in the url, I do not feel like I should post it due to the fact I might be considered racist. But google it, it will pop up under Websters.
And someone asks for a link to the definitions...unreal

1- a black person

Others have posted this. Blacks using the word is to take ownership and diminish the degradation it represents. It's a means of empowerment over the word itself. I'm not saying it's the best approach, but it's probably the easiest. The best approach would be to ignore it entirely, but that aint so easy.

1- a black person

This is where I disgaree slightly.

A group of friends (black) saying it to each other is the equivelent (IMHO) of me and my friends calling each other D-heads, Fahgs etc. When an outside party says that it becomes offensive...so I understand why it's "ok" for some people to say it....

What I DONT get is why it's acceptible for the word to be used by ALL other races except whites. A chinese dude gets a pass, seriously? Puerto Ricans, Mexicans etc? That's when it becomes BS IMHO

1- a black person

I already did and this is what it said : extremely offensive name for a Black person

1- a black person

I already did and this is what it said : extremely offensive name for a Black person
http://i.word.com/idictionary/

Then type the word

Select the noun

Read

1- a black person

A group of friends (black) saying it to each other is the equivelent (IMHO) of me and my friends calling each other D-heads, Fahgs etc. When an outside party says that it becomes offensive...so I understand why it's "ok" for some people to say it....

What I DONT get is why it's acceptible for the word to be used by ALL other races except whites. A chinese dude gets a pass, seriously? Puerto Ricans, Mexicans etc? That's when it becomes BS IMHO
Anyone saying it in a group of people are saying just that a word, I wonder if I can cry when I get called a cracker or honky? Your perception of the word does not mean that it is the definition. Sorry, lets not let anything like facts get in the way of a over hypersensitive society.

Now as for the word a$$ hole, well, thats a clear cut definition, no perception needed.

Websters is the most respected dictionary in the world, why is your perception of the word superior to what they have to say?

Black, white, red, brown... get over the word, its a word that has different meaning then how some perceive it. If you are offended it's your lack of education as the word clearly does not mean what the offended think.

Again lets not talk about the facts, because there would be no way for the offended to keep the word alive if we brought facts into it. It's just better to run from it because, well, society is a wuss.

1- a black person

http://i.word.com/idictionary/

Then type the word

Select the noun

Read
BAM? I see nothing even remotely racist? Although they say USUALLY offensive to show that it is misrepresented. Can we now start getting people educated?

Remember the people who used the word back in the day of segregation were uneducated anyways, are we really gonna believe their definition of the word over the dictionary.

I am against racism, but I am for education.

1- a black person

Anyone saying it in a group of people are saying just that a word, I wonder if I can cry when I get called a cracker or honky? Your perception of the word does not mean that it is the definition. Sorry, lets not let anything like facts get in the way of a over hypersensitive society.

Now as for the word ### hole, well, thats a clear cut definition, no perception needed.

Websters is the most respected dictionary in the world, why is your perception of the word superior to what they have to say?

Black, white, red, brown... get over the word, its a word that has different meaning then how some perceive it. If you are offended it's your lack of education as the word clearly does not mean what the offended think.

Again lets not talk about the facts, because there would be no way for the offended to keep the word alive if we brought facts into it. It's just better to run from it because, well, society is a wuss.
I think you have me confused with the other guy, I pretty much agree with you.

1- a black person

http://i.word.com/idictionary/Then type the word

Select the noun

Read
BAM? I see nothing even remotely racist? Although they say USUALLY offensive to show that it is misrepresented. Can we now start getting people educated?

Remember the people who used the word back in the day of segregation were uneducated anyways, are we really gonna believe their definition of the word over the dictionary.

Yeah, you definitely have me confused with someone else lol

1- a black person

http://i.word.com/idictionary/Then type the word

Select the noun

Read

Yeah, you definitely have me confused with someone else lol
LOL, No i just respond and speak in general sometimes while building off your point. Sorry for the confusion. I would love to see racism die, but part of it has to be education and understanding.

On top of it all, how foolish is it he has to seek treatment for saying a word that the people offended by it do not know the meaning to?

On top of it all, how foolish is it he has to seek treatment for saying a word that the people offended by it do not know the meaning to?
Exactly. You have to attack now and think later. If you attempt to make sense of the issue or correct it during the onslaught you're done as well.

I don't even understand how some people outside of the person/ people he said it to or his teammates have the right to feel "offended".

Exactly. You have to attack now and think later. If you attempt to make sense of the issue or correct it during the onslaught you're done as well.

I don't even understand how some people outside of the person/ people he said it to or his teammates have the right to feel "offended".
Shady McCoy, "How can you respect a man like that." Because he is still the guy u liked before he said a word made up of letters. If he said a$$ hole it would have meant the same thing to him. He is clearly not a racist, racists would not play on the same team as blacks and others would not be saying this is not the riley we know.

How can i respect someone so ignorant. It s word, it does not change who the man is. We all used the word, we have, I will call anyone a liar and no one will convince me they have not... NO ONE!

Stop the elitist crap, and move on people.

Phenix, do you believe the dictionary definition of a word describes the totality of it's meaning? If so, you may want to take a very introductory language course. If not, your argument is a simple attempt to redefine a word to mean something other than what it is universally accepted as. My only guess as to the reason for that is you are making an attempt to try to convince the rest of us that it's OK for you to use it. At best, your feeble attempt at best severely damages your credibility. As everyone else here accepts it to be a racial slur, please excuse yourself from the discussion, or accept the meaning that 99% of us attribute to the word (ie it's universally accepted meaning)

Exactly. You have to attack now and think later. If you attempt to make sense of the issue or correct it during the onslaught you're done as well.I don't even understand how some people outside of the person/ people he said it to or his teammates have the right to feel "offended".
Shady McCoy, "How can you respect a man like that." Because he is still the guy u liked before he said a word made up of letters. If he said ### hole it would have meant the same thing to him. He is clearly not a racist, racists would not play on the same team as blacks and others would not be saying this is not the riley we know.

How can i respect someone so ignorant. It s word, it does not change who the man is. We all used the word, we have, I will call anyone a liar and no one will convince me they have not... NO ONE!

Stop the elitist crap, and move on people.
So, now it means #######? That's not how you defined it.

Back to what I was saying before--

Google No Rest for the Wicked lyrics then ask yourself what would happen if Eminem tried the same lyrics B-Real did lol

Phenix, do you believe the dictionary definition of a word describes the totality of it's meaning? If so, you may want to take a very introductory language course. If not, your argument is a simple attempt to redefine a word to mean something other than what it is universally accepted as. My only guess as to the reason for that is you are making an attempt to try to convince the rest of us that it's OK for you to use it. At best, your feeble attempt at best severely damages your credibility. As everyone else here accepts it to be a racial slur, please excuse yourself from the discussion, or accept the meaning that 99% of us attribute to the word (ie it's universally accepted meaning)
One I do not care about credibility on a message board, thanks though. Two, who the hell you think you are to dismiss its true meaning as written in the dictionary and to tell me to dismiss myself.

People like you and your interpretations are part of societies problem, not the remedy. Don't put your lack of education on me, that is your own problem as well.

Bigboy10182000 said:
From Brandon Graham:

@BGraham54: All jokes aside #RileyCooper made a mistake and life goes on. Nobody is perfect we all mess up sometimes. I forgive him and the team does to
His teammates will be the first to forgive him. Other teams DB's will certainly not be as easy to convince, and he will get crushed out there every game (if he makes the team)
So guys are going to be more motivated to hit a guy because he said a word? Then they need a new job if they can't get up to play without someone saying a random word nor directed at them.

Or are you suggesting guys are going to go the extra mile and risk $25k just to blow up Riley freakin Cooper.
Don't foget that $1,000 of that fine could be subsidized by Marcus Vick, if they do it right.

One I do not care about credibility on a message board, thanks though. Two, who the hell you think you are to dismiss its true meaning as written in the dictionary and to tell me to dismiss myself.

People like you and your interpretations are part of societies problem, not the remedy. Don't put your lack of education on me, that is your own problem as well.
I don't dismiss it's definition. How about you answer the question? Do you believe the dictionary definition of a word describes the totality of it's meaning?

Attacking my intelligence and making statements that people like me are society's problem (notice the correct grammar) just further diminishes your credibility. BTW, if we were to compare our education (or anything else meaningful), I have a feeling you would be quite disappointed, much like you should feel about your performance in this debate.

Good call. In fact I think you should get out there and educate people. Walk around using this word at the people who fit its Webster.com definition, and laugh in their faces when they get offended because they don't know what it means. That'll show 'em.

Cooper looks like he's thinking about suicide. I hope he's ok. 10+ TDs and everyone will forget about this.

He is clearly not a racist, racists would not play on the same team as blacks and others would not be saying this is not the riley we know.
And outside the NFL, racists never work for any company that hires blacks.

Good call. In fact I think you should get out there and educate people. Walk around using this word at the people who fit its Webster.com definition, and laugh in their faces when they get offended because they don't know what it means. That'll show 'em.
Please video tape your encounters and post them here. I'm sure we would all enjoy the result. The simple fact is Phenix knows what the word means, but is trying to convince others that it's OK to use it.

Mark me down in the camp of people who believe that if you are so offended by the word, then don't use it. I have worked with mentally disabled youth for years, and you will never hear me say or hang around people that say "#######."

Honestly, I am really getting tired of the media fueling the racism fire, I blame them and really do think that they are the ones making things worse.

Users who are viewing this thread