What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tyler Eifert, TE (JAC) (1 Viewer)

zed2283

Footballguy
In my never-ending quest to find a TE, I find myself contemplating T.Eifert at 1.7. Didn't see any threads on him, so I figured I'd start one to see what everyone's thoughts are. Also did an online search and didn't see much news.

Last edited by a moderator:
TE is an undervalued position in a lot of leagues, but Eifert might be the best highly drafted skill position player in this year's rookie class. If I needed a TE, I'd be all over Eifert at 1.7 -- it's certainly not a crazy pick or anything.

Reviews have generally been good too from what little I've seen.

I agree with wdcrob. I like Eifert quite a bit and would actually rate him as a top 3-4 dynasty TE.

I don't think he has the highest ceiling in this rookie draft. Some of the WR/RB options like Austin, Patterson, and Michael have a chance to be worth more.

However, I think he's the safest pick and the only can't-miss prospect. I took him at 1.03 in a rookie draft where I already had Graham. That was probably a few slots too high, but he's a great pick anywhere in the 5-8 range IMO.

I love Eifert, but Jason La Camfora has Jermaine Gresham as one of his breakout players

Few players are as divisive amongst Bengals fans as tight end Jermaine Gresham. There have been high hopes for the big man out of Oklahoma since he arrived via the first round of the draft in 2010. He has put up some solid numbers in his time in Cincinnati and received Pro Bowl alternate recognition, but we've all wanted to see more out of him.

Unfortunately for Gresham, the lasting impression he has left with the fan base is the sour taste of his terrible performance as the team's offensive game plan in their playoff game against the Houston Texans. It also doesn't help that he came out of the same draft class as New England Patriots star tight end, Rob Gronkowski, who was drafted after him. The expectations have been there for Gresham, and though he has progressed in catches, yards and first downs every year, he still has managed to disappoint to some degree.

Gresham is now entering his fourth season as an NFL tight end and he has a young gun breathing down his neck in fellow first round tight end, Tyler Eifert. The initial plan might not be to have Eifert take snaps from Gresham, but some are wondering if Gresham's production and numbers will be dropping because of the impact of Eifert in the offense. The hope though is that the two will combine for a formidable offensive duo and contribute heavily.

Count Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports as one of those who feel that Gresham is poised for a breakout year.

Much of the buzz with the Bengals is surrounding rookie tight end Tyler Eifert, their first-round pick. And to this point, Gresham certainly has not progressed as many had planned since he was drafted 21st overall in 2010.
You cannot deny Gresham's athleticism and ability, and sometimes it takes a little time for it to come together, and perhaps Eifert's arrival will be a kick in the pants as well. Coordinator Jay Gruden is already falling in love with his two-tight end sets, and I believe Gresham actually will benefit from Eifert's arrival.

I agree with wdcrob. I like Eifert quite a bit and would actually rate him as a top 3-4 dynasty TE.

I don't think he has the highest ceiling in this rookie draft. Some of the WR/RB options like Austin, Patterson, and Michael have a chance to be worth more.

However, I think he's the safest pick and the only can't-miss prospect. I took him at 1.03 in a rookie draft where I already had Graham. That was probably a few slots too high, but he's a great pick anywhere in the 5-8 range IMO.
Gresham came ready to roll.

He hasn't been able to beat him out AFAIK. Tons of time.

Gresham came ready to roll.

He hasn't been able to beat him out AFAIK. Tons of time.
Gresham is a decent player. Good enough to start for maybe 10-20 teams in the NFL.

I think Eifert is a more gifted receiver though.

With 2 TE sets being common these days, I expect to see a lot of both.

I was happy to take Eifert 1.8 in a 32 team league that started this year and he was actually my target way back when we conducted the initial draft in which we drafted picks.

Best skill player in the draft imo. Austin might be better, but he has more risk.

I have to agree that he is a very solid prospect and the only one that I really think doesnt have a bust factor this year. I took him at 1.8 but had him as my number two guy.

The leagues I host are mandatory 2TE, I'm targetting Eifert in all of them to be my TE2, I think Dalton and the Bengals take a big step forward this year and I think Eifert is a large part of that.

Eifert has been tearing up training camp.

Live in Cincy. Tons of buzz and chatter about this guy. He's going to be a difference maker. From what I've seen him run at camp, he's going to be a seam buster. His catch radius is just astounding. And he boxes out defenders so easily. There was one seam route where he was double covered, jumped and adjusted his body to catch a ball thrown outside the hash. It was beautiful.

Eifert has the "Wow" factor. I drafted him every rookie draft I could this year. He generally went in the 1.8 - 1.10 range in my drafts. Safest player in the draft. He is Witten with better elusiveness after the catch.

Eifert has the "Wow" factor. I drafted him every rookie draft I could this year. He generally went in the 1.8 - 1.10 range in my drafts. Safest player in the draft. He is Witten with better elusiveness after the catch.
In a better offense, with a better QB.

Drafted him at 1.09. My starting TE is Gresham so it was kind of a no-brainer. I'm hoping it's one or the other this year and not a 50/50 split every game. Could make for some frustrating weeks.

Drafted him at 1.09. My starting TE is Gresham so it was kind of a no-brainer. I'm hoping it's one or the other this year and not a 50/50 split every game. Could make for some frustrating weeks.
I've got Gresham also. Another reason I'm taking a hard look at Eifert.

I've got Gresham also. Another reason I'm taking a hard look at Eifert.
If you are talking Dynasty, this is irrelevant information on whether you should be looking at Eifert IMO. Redraft, sure, but not dynasty.

I like Eifert but no way Dalton is better than Romo.
I think we will see this disproved this season, but as it stands it is definitely my biased opinion.

I think we will see this disproved this season, but as it stands it is definitely my biased opinion.
Sure, Dalton has been terrible in the playoffs....and he certainly has some limitations, but those who label him as not very good just don't see the big picture. He's not on Romo's level as far as fantasy production, sure. But Dalton is the only QB IN NFL HISTORY to throw 20+ TDs and take his team to the playoffs in his first two years in the league.

In HA1, I took him at 1.7.

In my main league, I took him at 2.3 (10 teamer). Sounds like he went late, but this is a contract league where you can't go nuts on the WW as anyone you sign you have to pay out of the salary cap even if you cut him a week later and even if someone else picks him up. It also has a fairly early trade deadline that ends the WW as well. So there were a few guys that were not on rosters last year that went before some of the rookies. Two for example were Kaepernick and Shorts.

For me, I think he is the only can't miss prospect in the draft. Every other highly touted rookie this year has a question make (Tavon is too small, Bell is too slow, Fox doesn't like to play rookie RB's, Lacy has the toe, etc). The only knock on Eiffert is his QB. The way I look at that is, Dalton really derailed a rising star in AJ Green from reaching his potential, right? If Dalton can throw those deep balls to Green, he can throw underneath stuff to Eiffert who will be covered by a LB all day long as Green draws the double team and have plenty of room to run!

surprised to see he is going so high in rookie drafts. He was the 16th offensive player off the board in one of my leagues and 14th in another (both 16 team idp dynasty leagues). I am a big fan of his and took him in both drafts.

In my main league, I took him at 2.3 (10 teamer). Sounds like he went late, but this is a contract league where you can't go nuts on the WW as anyone you sign you have to pay out of the salary cap even if you cut him a week later and even if someone else picks him up. It also has a fairly early trade deadline that ends the WW as well. So there were a few guys that were not on rosters last year that went before some of the rookies. Two for example were Kaepernick and Shorts.

For me, I think he is the only can't miss prospect in the draft. Every other highly touted rookie this year has a question make (Tavon is too small, Bell is too slow, Fox doesn't like to play rookie RB's, Lacy has the toe, etc). The only knock on Eiffert is his QB. The way I look at that is, Dalton really derailed a rising star in AJ Green from reaching his potential, right? If Dalton can throw those deep balls to Green, he can throw underneath stuff to Eiffert who will be covered by a LB all day long as Green draws the double team and have plenty of room to run!
I assume you're talking about HyperActive 1? Eifert went 1.8 in the Active Conference and 1.3 by EBF in the Hyper Conference. Are you "The Knights" and chose him at 1.8, not 1.7?

I assume you're talking about HyperActive 1? Eifert went 1.8 in the Active Conference and 1.3 by EBF in the Hyper Conference. Are you "The Knights" and chose him at 1.8, not 1.7?
Yes, I'm the Knights. And I coulda sworn I took him at 1.07. Ah well. Thanks for clarifying...

Yes, I'm the Knights. And I coulda sworn I took him at 1.07. Ah well. Thanks for clarifying...
Construxboy took Justin Hunter at 1.7.

Who went at 2.11?

Who went at 2.11?
Here's a look at the entire draft http://football24.myfantasyleague.com/2013/options?L=19155&O=17&DISPLAY=DIVISION01

Who went at 2.11?
:lol:

He is a stud in the making. 1.7 no problem in TE mandatory leagues. Talent rises to the top and I think this will show by this time next year.

Any thoughts on where he should go in a NO TE league? Not to turn this into an AC, but I am in a NO TE, start 3 WR, PPR, and am having a very difficult time ranking him. Currently, I have him rated as WR7. I have him right behind Markus Wheaton and right ahead of Keenan Allen.

Any thoughts on where he should go in a NO TE league? Not to turn this into an AC, but I am in a NO TE, start 3 WR, PPR, and am having a very difficult time ranking him. Currently, I have him rated as WR7. I have him right behind Markus Wheaton and right ahead of Keenan Allen.
I love Eiffert, but I doubt I would even roster the guy in a redraft in that kind of league. Maybe next year...

For dynasty purposes, do those who feel Eifert is "can't miss" and has little question marks, is your general concensus that Gresham is going to fade into oblivion in the future or even leave town. My concern is Gresham and Eifert will consistantly steal catches from one another. While I like Dalton, I'm just not sure he has it in him to be able to distribute enough yards and TDs for either TE to be a viable fantasy option.

For dynasty purposes, do those who feel Eifert is "can't miss" and has little question marks, is your general concensus that Gresham is going to fade into oblivion in the future or even leave town. My concern is Gresham and Eifert will consistantly steal catches from one another. While I like Dalton, I'm just not sure he has it in him to be able to distribute enough yards and TDs for either TE to be a viable fantasy option.
I like Gresham. He's a nice TE. But Eiffert is a stud in the making...

I think Gresham and Eifert will elevate each other and end up being the #2 and #3 receivers behind Green, or Gresham will fade into nothing and get signed by the Ravens.

I love Eiffert, but I doubt I would even roster the guy in a redraft in that kind of league. Maybe next year...
This is a dynasty league. I was referring to ranking him in a rookie draft where the league treats TEs as WRs.

This is my concern as well, especially being in a no TE league. I'd hate to reach on a guy that becomes a perennial 65 850 5 type. But if some are saying he is a better Witten, then he would be well worth the reach, as Witten has ended as a solid WR2 each of the last six seasons.

Gresham has another year remaining on his contract after 2013.....and the Bengals have a ton of guys to resign.

Geno Atkins, Aj Green, Andy Dalton, Michael Johnson is their UFA this year. Just not sure how much money will remain offseason of 2014?

You may have to live with Gresham taking away some production for these next two years, but as Doowain stated above, Eifert is really standing out.

Eifert is being lined up all over the place. And the coaches are gushing about him.....I honestly think the price tag is only gonna go up on Eifert

They are gonna feature him and AJ Green(obvious) a lot.

AFC Team-by-Team Notes

Evan Silva

Excerpt:

Tight end sets up as another fantasy quagmire. Early indications are Gresham will be the in-line tight end, with Eifert as the "move," receiving-oriented option. It's conceivable that Gresham and Eifert cut into each other's production, leaving neither as even a low-end TE1.
While this could be true for this upcoming season, I am very optimistic on Eifert's dynasty potential.

Run It Up said:
salmonstud said:
Not saying Eifert's fantasy value is equal to Witten - just staying that Eifert's style of play is similar to Witten - very consistent hands, uses his body well, not blazing speed but good speed only difference is Eifert has better moves after the catch.

Gresham stars in Bengals' Oklahoma drill

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Excerpt:

CINCINNATI -- Tight end Jermaine Gresham was the star of the Cincinnati Bengals' Oklahoma drill, a highlight of the team's first padded practice of training camp.

Gresham successfully blocked two Pro Bowl players in linebacker James Harrison and defensive tackle Geno Atkins. The Oklahoma drill, which has become a tradition under coach Marvin Lewis, features an offensive blocker lining up in an alley with a defender across from him and a ball carrier behind him. When the whistle is blown, the defender tries to get off the block and get to the ball carrier.

Some thought the Bengals were trying to test Gresham by matching him against those two defenders. Gresham, though, asked to go up against Atkins. While Gresham won the matchup, Atkins and the defense protested it because Gresham jumped offside. Linebacker Vontaze Burfict even threw up a towel as if it were a penalty flag.

"He moved early," Lewis said. "He cheated. He tried to cheat, I should say, but he got caught."

Despite Gresham's misstep, Lewis has been impressed with Gresham.

"Jermaine has grown so much over the last two seasons," Lewis said. "This offseason, he continues to take another step. This camp is taking another step."

Gresham is trying to bounce back from a troubling playoff performance in Houston. He had as many drops (two) as catches in that loss to the Texans.

Asked if the Texans game impacted Gresham, Lewis said, "I think it had a huge impact on him. The positive is you keep working to get better at those situations and those opportunities. But we all lost the football game. One play and one player doesn't lose a football game."
I am hoping that Gresham's dominance in the blocking assignments will lock him into that role while Eifert's snaps are geared heavily on the "move" option for the Bengals!

Very excited about this offense with the addition of Eifert and with a healthy Sanu + Jones. I think the real value pick from this offense is Dalton.

AFC Team-by-Team Notes

Evan Silva

Excerpt:

Tight end sets up as another fantasy quagmire. Early indications are Gresham will be the in-line tight end, with Eifert as the "move," receiving-oriented option. It's conceivable that Gresham and Eifert cut into each other's production, leaving neither as even a low-end TE1.
While this could be true for this upcoming season, I am very optimistic on Eifert's dynasty potential.
I've come to think of Silva as an idiot, so for him to say this, I have to think that anything but this scenario will play out.

Man, I hate saying it but this Cincy offense is looking scary.

Green could be the best WR in the league and his presence starts it all. They already had a great oline with a decent RB in BJGE. Now add in rookie Bernard for a more explosive option in the backfield. Gresham was already one of the ore complete TEs in the NFL and pretty underrated I o. Now add to it Eifert, a more explosive pass catcher who creates mismatches. Finally you have Sanu who looked pretty strong at time last year and could easily take a step forward this season.

Personally,I think Dalton is a good but not great QB. He will never be in the top 10 of NFL passers on his ability. None the less, he's easily capable to utilize those weapons to put up great numbers.

I've come to think of Silva as an idiot, so for him to say this, I have to think that anything but this scenario will play out.
Everyone has fantasy analysts they like (or don't), and you are certainly entitled to your opinion... but I will defend Evan. I may not always agree with his opinion, but he bases it on actual video study, analysis and does his homework. That alone puts him head and shoulders ahead of most.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread. I'm an Eifert fan (especially in dynasty). That said, even with a quick NFL adjustment, I think his payoff won't come before year 2 or 3. Rookie TE's are historically a poor bet for immediate fantasy production.

Everyone has fantasy analysts they like (or don't), and you are certainly entitled to your opinion... but I will defend Evan. I may not always agree with his opinion, but he bases it on actual video study, analysis and does his homework. That alone puts him head and shoulders ahead of most.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread. I'm an Eifert fan (especially in dynasty). That said, even with a quick NFL adjustment, I think his payoff won't come before year 2 or 3. Rookie TE's are historically a poor bet for immediate fantasy production.
The guy dumped in David Wilson for having something like 42% of his carries being 2 yards or less. He did solid analysis to come up with those numbers and I respect him for that. What I don't respect his him speculating because of it and not putting it in context. Peterson, Foster and Martin all had higher percentages of carries under 2 yards. It's a pretty standard stat across the NFL and Wilson's is actually lower than a lot of guys.

Nice study, but terrible actual analysis.... But that's just me.

With Pitta dying on me, Eifert is looking good at 2.1 in dynasty. I really like his upside and the presence of Green won't allow opposing defenses to use bracket coverage on him. Gresham will cut into his numbers this season, but he should be a low end TE1 with some upside. Clear cut top end long term dynasty value.

With Pitta dying on me, Eifert is looking good at 2.1 in dynasty. I really like his upside and the presence of Green won't allow opposing defenses to use bracket coverage on him. Gresham will cut into his numbers this season, but he should be a low end TE1 with some upside. Clear cut top end long term dynasty value.
I like Eifert at 2.1 and it has nothing to do with Pitta. I wouldn't expect to use him as a "set it and forget it" option this year though.

I'd try to roster a Brandon Myers or Martellus Bennett to use in conjunction with Eifert for a few seasons until he gets his sea legs.

doowain said:
Run It Up said:
Run It Up said:
salmonstud said:
Sure, Dalton has been terrible in the playoffs....and he certainly has some limitations, but those who label him as not very good just don't see the big picture. He's not on Romo's level as far as fantasy production, sure. But Dalton is the only QB IN NFL HISTORY to throw 20+ TDs and take his team to the playoffs in his first two years in the league.
How many quarterbacks have top 10 defenses in their first two years in the league?

Dalton can be a top qb going forward, but he isn't elite yet.

Shanahanigans said:
Titanium said:
This is my concern as well, especially being in a no TE league. I'd hate to reach on a guy that becomes a perennial 65 850 5 type. But if some are saying he is a better Witten, then he would be well worth the reach, as Witten has ended as a solid WR2 each of the last six seasons.
Big fan of eifert, and he reminds me somewhat of witten, mostly because they are two if the few guys i saw in college and immediately wanted in my team. But i can't call anyone a "better witten". At least not yet.

Users who are viewing this thread