Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
zed2283

Tyler Eifert, TE (CIN)

Drafted him in dynasty as a rookie. Finally paying off. Woo!

Same here and in round 9 of my redraft this year.

Feels good.

Edited by Todem

how much of a 100 ww bucks should i bid?

all

can't believe he's there. how many teams in the league?

10 teams. Debated getting him all week and kept Witten instead but going to drop alot to get him.

Can Eifert become the lead receiver on the team? Nuts, right?

Yardage and catch wise I doubt he will lead the team, but I could see him 3rd in receptions, 2nd in yards and 1st in touchdowns. That would probably put him around 65ish for 900 and 12. That should be good for around a top 5 tight.

Yardage and catch wise I doubt he will lead the team, but I could see him 3rd in receptions, 2nd in yards and 1st in touchdowns. That would probably put him around 65ish for 900 and 12. That should be good for around a top 5 tight.

Eifert is the guy those Kelce owners in the other thread should be trying to acquire. Athletically they are almost exactly the same player. Eifert, however, is going to get more targets and has a more aggressive QB. While Dalton and Smith might attempt a similar number of passes, a smaller % will go to the RBs in this offense than the Chiefs. I expect Green and Maclin to get a similar number of targets. I also expect Dalton to continue to give Eifert jump balls in the end zone whereas Alex Smith is going to make Kelce fight his way into the end zone.

Waldman said in his article this week that he'd rank Eifert TE3 if he could do his preseason rankings over again (he's really high on Graham this year).

12 TDs? On a team with AJ Green who I think most will say will be the overall first choice to lead the team in TDS. So, Andy Dalton's floor for TDs this year is 25 with Hill, Gio, Jones, Sanu, etc?

I think your yardage prediction is very obtainable but I'd say 9 tds maybe. You can't play the Raiders every week and you can't have zero TDs for Green every week (and I say this as an Eifert owner and not an AJ Green Owner. I am just being what I think is more realistic for a team with AJ Green on it).

12 TDs? On a team with AJ Green who I think most will say will be the overall first choice to lead the team in TDS. So, Andy Dalton's floor for TDs this year is 25 with Hill, Gio, Jones, Sanu, etc?

I think your yardage prediction is very obtainable but I'd say 9 tds maybe. You can't play the Raiders every week and you can't have zero TDs for Green every week (and I say this as an Eifert owner and not an AJ Green Owner. I am just being what I think is more realistic for a team with AJ Green on it).

Dalton had a rough year last year with injuries to Eifert, Green, and Jones, but he's certainly capable of putting up 25+ TDs in this offense. You may recall Eifert started off last season with 3 receptions in the first quarter. Dalton loves him. And 60 targets for 39/445/2 is really not bad for a rookie TE splitting time with an incumbent first rounder. Gronk's rookie year was similar but with 10 TDs (Brady had no legitimate red zone targets - his tallest WR was 5'10" Brandon Tate).

12 TDs is ambitious, but feasible. TDs are so unpredictable, but if the trust and targets are there... anything is possible. At this point I'd say he's as likely as anyone (outside of Gronk) to hit double digit TDs this season.

Saying you can't play the Raiders every week is understandable, but pulling in two TDs in a blowout when you've got Hill and Bernard on the ground is pretty impressive. His TDs came while up 17-0 and 24-0, playing against a backup QB, and they were in the red zone (13 and 8 yards). The fact they were throwing it up for Eifert instead of running it in that situation seems like a sign of things to come.

• Like 1

Dalton had a rough year last year with injuries to Eifert, Green, and Jones, but he's certainly capable of putting up 25+ TDs in this offense. You may recall Eifert started off last season with 3 receptions in the first quarter. Dalton loves him. And 60 targets for 39/445/2 is really not bad for a rookie TE splitting time with an incumbent first rounder. Gronk's rookie year was similar but with 10 TDs (Brady had no legitimate red zone targets - his tallest WR was 5'10" Brandon Tate).

12 TDs is ambitious, but feasible. TDs are so unpredictable, but if the trust and targets are there... anything is possible. At this point I'd say he's as likely as anyone (outside of Gronk) to hit double digit TDs this season.

Saying you can't play the Raiders every week is understandable, but pulling in two TDs in a blowout when you've got Hill and Bernard on the ground is pretty impressive. His TDs came while up 17-0 and 24-0, playing against a backup QB, and they were in the red zone (13 and 8 yards). The fact they were throwing it up for Eifert instead of running it in that situation seems like a sign of things to come.

My thoughts on them running it up on the Raiders has to do with Hue Jackson. That's complete conspiracy theory but that's my angle because of many years watching the Bengals, that is atypical that they have that attitude.

What I meant from 25 THs with player a,b,c, etc is that if Eifert gets 12 (and I think Green is 10-12 for sure), then with all those talented guys, I think that pushes Dalton into the 35 range (10 tds somewhere in the course of the year among Gio, Hill, Sanu, etc). I think all those players make 10 TDs likely over a year but Dalton at 35+ just looks funny to me.

My thoughts on them running it up on the Raiders has to do with Hue Jackson. That's complete conspiracy theory but that's my angle because of many years watching the Bengals, that is atypical that they have that attitude.

What I meant from 25 THs with player a,b,c, etc is that if Eifert gets 12 (and I think Green is 10-12 for sure), then with all those talented guys, I think that pushes Dalton into the 35 range (10 tds somewhere in the course of the year among Gio, Hill, Sanu, etc). I think all those players make 10 TDs likely over a year but Dalton at 35+ just looks funny to me.

Oh see, that's where I strongly disagree. I don't think you can pencil ANY wide receiver in for 10-12 TDs. Those vary way too much. Especially a guy like AJ Green. He got 11 twice while getting 176 and 178 targets. No way he's getting 12 with like 130-140 targets. I project he gets 6-8. I'll be very surprised if AJ Green hits 10 TDs on less than 140 targets. He used to be the go to guy for Dalton. Now I'd say he and Eifert are at best (for AJ) 1a and 1b in the red zone. AJ draws a lot of coverage, so why wouldn't Dalton throw it to the bigger guy, with a mismatch, who jumps just as high? If Dalton can read his progressions then I don't think he'll force feed AJ any more.

Drafted him in dynasty as a rookie. Finally paying off. Woo!

Me too! :highfive:

ditto. worth the wait.

Me too. Fell to 2.06 and it's been a long wait for him to pay off. Sitting on the bench while Kelce did his thing but gives me options.

1.12 in my league - I didn't think he should have fallen to that point. Wasn't even planning on drafting him.

I drafted him in two leagues as a rookie. In a pure dynasty league, got him at 1.9. In my salary cap league where there are some FA's available in the draft he slipped into the second round of a 10 teamer. In the salary cap/contract league, was just able to secure his services for 3 more years. I gave him the transition tag which means someone could've put a bid on him and if I didn't match I got a 1st rounder. No one bid, so I get him at the Transition Tender for TE which was $814,000 out of a $32 million salary cap. I'll take that the next few years!

I can't wait to see the offers roll in now, I couldn't give this guy away in the off season.

So what would you expect in return for him?

I am not sure since I took him off the block after trading Reed and Ertz. I know before and during our rookie draft I tried like crazy to get an early second for him so I could draft Dorsett and no one would bite. Now? It would take more, but I am not sure how much.

I can't wait to see the offers roll in now, I couldn't give this guy away in the off season.

I am not sure since I took him off the block after trading Reed and Ertz. I know before and during our rookie draft I tried like crazy to get an early second for him so I could draft Dorsett and no one would bite. Now? It would take more, but I am not sure how much.

I didn't get any offers from him early in the offseason. Maybe one in HA1 where someone offered me chump change for a guy who did nothing last year due to injury. But later on, when the season got closer and the raves started rolling in, I got lots of offers for him, but I stood pat in both leagues and started him in both week 1 as well as in the Subscriber contest.

Pssst... pro tip here. Raiders LB's can't cover for ####. Eifert might be the real deal and go onto a great season, and bully for you Eifert owners. But if you want to feast on the next buffet line, go pick up Gilmore or whatever they got in Baltimore and thank me later.

Fwiw,

1. Eifert is released into the secondary and beats what looks like a safety with a corner nearby.

2. Then it looks like he beats a corner, no. 25. I guess that's a mismatch a la Graham and Gronk, which we are familiar with (it's a mismatch with a LB, too slow, and it's a mismatch with most corners, who are too small).

3. Here it looks like he blows by the LB who releases him and neither the DB behind him or the safety in front of him close in time. The safety (or nickel back) in particular looked like he had no desire to move in, and he got crushed in any event.

To me it looks like Cincy could do the same stuff that the Saints and Pats have been doing with Graham and Gronk for some time now if they wanted and defensive teams will be faced with the same choices to scheme for him, which basically requires extremely aggressive play up front or big DBs.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

gotta think though even though the raiders had injuries, teams have to respect aj green, as well as the run game. there's only so many players you can commit to and it's clear andy loves him.

gotta think though even though the raiders had injuries, teams have to respect aj green, as well as the run game. there's only so many players you can commit to and it's clear andy loves him.

Not to mention the guys been touted as a potential star with freak physical ability previously. Not like there wasn't smoke before the crappy Raiders secondary came along.

I'm trying to figure out why it's impossible for Dalton to throw for 35 TD's. The team poured it on at the end of the game through the air. AJ Green, Sanu, Effert and Bernard are all great pass catchers. I keep forgetting that this board can't remember farther back than 9 months or so, but just 2 short years ago, he had 33 TD's. But nobody can remember prior to the 19 he had last year when AJ Green and Effert both had significant injuries.

Green is healthy that year. And he has Eifert who was a rookie in 2013. Why can't he throw for 40 TD's? I'm not saying it's likely, but I think if he can throw for 33 with pretty much AJ Green alone in 2013, why can't he throw for 40 with a healthy Eifert in his 3rd year and now Bernard as well?

Why can't he throw for 40 TD's?

Jeremy Hill.

A game well in hand, Eifert scored two redzone TD's where 31 other teams would be running the clock out with a running back.

I get that Hill is a beast. Would love to have him on my team, but the play calling late in that game indicated that they are going to pass, pass, pass. Maybe that was a fluke game to get Eifert some confidence and see what he can do. I don't know. It's only game 1, but they sure looked like they were going all passing there.

Jeremy Hill.

A game well in hand, Eifert scored two redzone TD's where 31 other teams would be running the clock out with a running back.

I get that Hill is a beast. Would love to have him on my team, but the play calling late in that game indicated that they are going to pass, pass, pass. Maybe that was a fluke game to get Eifert some confidence and see what he can do. I don't know. It's only game 1, but they sure looked like they were going all passing there.

You're extrapolating Week 1 out for 16 games...

6 coming games against the AFC North plus 5 more games against the stout defenses of SEA, BUF, KC, STL and DEN is a pretty good indicator that they won't be following the same game script.

Talk talk talk. While you guys debate whether eifert is just a flash in the pan or a sell high, I'm plugging him into my TE spot until he proves to me that he doesn't belong there.

Here's all I need to know:

Week 1 he was a beast

He's had a great training camp.

Coaches and Qb love him.

He was a 1st rd draft pick.

He's talented

He's on a team with a great o line so he doesn't need to stay in to block a lot

He's got AJ green to draw coverage away from the middle.

He's got a stud RB that opposing defenses need to worry about.

He's up for success this year as the #2 target behind AJ.

I'll keep starting him until he proves me wrong.

• Like 3

One more piece - if you look back at Hue's season as OC of Oakland in 2010 (8-8 season, still impressive) he made extensive use of Zach Miller, he was the team's leading receiver in catches and yards and TDs (60+ receptions IIRC).

2011 with Hue as HC Zach Miller had moved on to Seattle where he disappeared into their blocking schemes, but Oakland did not really replace him in the TE passing game. - Still Boss, Reece and Myers together combined for 60+ catches.

2014 Cincy seemed like Gresham had a poor season, but he still had 62 catches, 2nd most on the team.

In short Hue has been at this for a while, but I don't think he has ever had anyone like Eifert to work with. Still, to get to elite top-5 territory a TE has to get to 80 catches (5 rec/g), 10 ypc territory. With a 9 catch, 12 ypc day Eifert at least showed he is capable of those kinds of games.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

Well I did get an offer; TY Hilton for Eifert. I stocked up on TEs and also have Kelce and ASJ so I pulled the trigger even though I think Eifert is going to have a great season.

Talk talk talk. While you guys debate whether eifert is just a flash in the pan or a sell high, I'm plugging him into my TE spot until he proves to me that he doesn't belong there.

Week 1 he was a beast

Coaches and Qb love him.

He's talented

outstanding post.

Week 1 he was a beast

Coaches and Qb love him.

He's talented

outstanding post.

Yeah. I was baffled by his ADP this year. His circumstances couldn't be more ideal. His talent isn't a question. The targets were even more than I expected and that was in a blowout.

He's not gonna go off like that every week but I can't see any reason why he won't be top five and he could be top two. He has good hands and it seems like he's figured out how to get open. Once that clicks for an athletic TE, production becomes consistent.

Jeremy Hill.

You're extrapolating Week 1 out for 16 games...

6 coming games against the AFC North plus 5 more games against the stout defenses of SEA, BUF, KC, STL and DEN is a pretty good indicator that they won't be following the same game script.

I am not extrapolating out to 16 games. If I were, I would say he's a lock for 32 TD's.

Just because they have a tough schedule in no way implies logically that their game plan will change. That makes no sense. The year Baltimore won the SB, they didn't decide to abandon the run for more passing from Trent Dilfer every time they played a top 5 D. In 1999 the Rams didn't go to a ball control offense when they played a tough D they still aired it out.

In one game, the only game film we can go on, they passed at the end of the game that was well in hand. Outside of the years that Brady and Manning set the TD records, I can't think of another time a team ran the score up like that in the NFL.

Maybe it was just the coach sticking it to his former team. THAT has way more validity to it than "They're schedule is tough, they're going to go to a different game plan because of it."

Week 1 he was a beast

Coaches and Qb love him.

He's talented

THIS!

Just because they have a tough schedule in no way implies logically that their game plan will change. That makes no sense.

Game plan <> Game script

A game plan is what a team intends to do. A game script is how it actually plays out. Either you confused my argument or ignored it.

The year Baltimore won the SB, they didn't decide to abandon the run for more passing from Trent Dilfer every time they played a top 5 D. In 1999 the Rams didn't go to a ball control offense when they played a tough D they still aired it out.

Straw men, those have nothing to do with the 2015 Bengals. This current team does not have the best defense or offense in recent league history.

In one game, the only game film we can go on, they passed at the end of the game that was well in hand.

Not true. The coaching staff and personnel are consistent for the last several seasons. We should have a pretty good gauge of their tendencies.

Outside of the years that Brady and Manning set the TD records, I can't think of another time a team ran the score up like that in the NFL.

Another straw man. Zero relevance to the current situation, unless you think Dalton is legitimately chasing those records.

Maybe it was just the coach sticking it to his former team. THAT has way more validity to it than "They're schedule is tough, they're going to go to a different game plan because of it."

That could certainly be the case. Have they played Oakland in the past 3 seasons?

Look, I'm not just nitpicking to be an #######. And I'm an Eifert owner in several leagues. But the true story of how this season will unfold has not been telegraphed by a drubbing of a bad team in Week 1.

It could very well be that the game plan going forward is what you project. But I think it's equally likely that the team was trying a few things out as essentially "practice time" in a blowout.

These guys haven't been on the field much as a team, and that was a perfect opportunity to (1) get some reps/work on timing, (2) potentially try to scare some other teams in their division, and (3) boost the confidence of several of the guys on their roster.

Starting him over Olson and not thinking twice about it given the propensity of HOU shutting down tight ends and the way he and Cam looked last week. Plus love west coast teams playing at 1pm EST.

Starting him over Olson and not thinking twice about it given the propensity of HOU shutting down tight ends and the way he and Cam looked last week. Plus love west coast teams playing at 1pm EST.

Me too....at this point he's a must start. Cincy's put together quite an offense, and Eifert will see lots of targets.....I have zero trust in Carolina right now.

This guy's only problem is that his style of play and Dalton's propensity to throw hospital balls make him a higher than average injury risk. Other than that, start 'im if you got 'im. Hue Jax knows how to utilize his playmakers. Looking like a top 5 TE PPG to me.

Flexing him over Watkins this week.

houston didn't particularly shut down kelce this week and they are going to in theory try to got the ball to olsen more this week.

i'm probably rolling like you as well but just throwing that out there.

houston didn't particularly shut down kelce this week and they are going to in theory try to got the ball to olsen more this week.

i'm probably rolling like you as well but just throwing that out there.

True, though KC has better weapons on offense and better play caller. I see a defensive battle this week with a couple of the most conservative game plans we will see all year perhaps. Even if they do try to get him the ball more like they say he will still be (or should be) doubled most of the day. We've seen the floor on Olson, I hope, but I need a win this week and I want to go for that high ceiling

I have Gronk and miraculously was able to get Eifert on the waiver wire this week. In my league our third flex can be a tight end and I am seriously considering going for the two tight end set.

I have Gronk and miraculously was able to get Eifert on the waiver wire this week. In my league our third flex can be a tight end and I am seriously considering going for the two tight end set.

I'm in the same boat and flexing him over Watkins

ETA: its a WR/TE flex, no RB

Edited by (HULK)

I am considering flexing him over Andre Johnson in one league.