What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tyler Eifert, TE (JAC) (5 Viewers)

Everywhere seems to say start Olsen over himthis week. But after leaving Eifert and all his points on the bench last week I think I am going to take a chance and leave Olsen on the bench. I should probably trade one of them to improve my weakness in rb's.

One reason I love Eifert is Dalton.

Dalton is pretty smart and can throw for big yardage. But he does his best when he doesn't have to throw to the sideline. Having a legitimate threat in the middle of the field is huge for Dalton. I think he will enjoy it as Eifert could literally save his job.

Last year in the brief time Eifert played (beginning of first game) Dalton looked like he was going to heavily target him as well.

We may be sitting on the 2nd best te

I like him more than Kelce, personally. I think Gronk, Graham, Eifert, and Cameron are the four most talented receiving TEs in the NFL.

In my lineups everywhere... Well, that's actually just 2 leagues and the Subscriber, but still, have him in all three.

I'm sorry but the NFL is stupid, he caught the ball, extended for the endzone, ball broke the plane TD. This is Dez all over agian, reaching for the endzone is a football move!

The refs were correct not giving Eifert the TD because of the way the rule reads. The problem is that the way the rule is written is stupid as he**. It's ridicules that two feet down and ball over the goal line isn't a TD. They need to review this in the off season and rewrite it.

The refs were correct not giving Eifert the TD because of the way the rule reads. The problem is that the way the rule is written is stupid as he**. It's ridicules that two feet down and ball over the goal line isn't a TD. They need to review this in the off season and rewrite it.
I'm acctually suprised the rules wernt re-written last year after that dez fiasco

Why can't he throw for 40 TD's?
Jeremy Hill.
A game well in hand, Eifert scored two redzone TD's where 31 other teams would be running the clock out with a running back.

I get that Hill is a beast. Would love to have him on my team, but the play calling late in that game indicated that they are going to pass, pass, pass. Maybe that was a fluke game to get Eifert some confidence and see what he can do. I don't know. It's only game 1, but they sure looked like they were going all passing there.
Need you to put this one in the Jeremy HIll thread. The run-blocking of the Bengals has left a lot to be desired in all 3 games. They have to pass to set up the run even in clock-running mode. It's a problem.

As for this week - Eifert was robbed of a TD and the big weakness of the Ravens was clearly the secondary. I'd not worry too much Eifert owners :)

-QG

Pssst... pro tip here. Raiders LB's can't cover for ####. Eifert might be the real deal and go onto a great season, and bully for you Eifert owners. But if you want to feast on the next buffet line, go pick up Gilmore or whatever they got in Baltimore and thank me later.
Told you!
Yeah if I ever do daily fantasy I'll be sure to plug in whatever TE is playing the Radiers :) :thumbup:

-QG

Just not sure how that's any different in a RB diving over the pile sticking the ball over the line.
It's actually an entirely different situation. The RB has already established possession upon taking the handoff. These plays like Dez and Eifert are discussing when/if they are establishing possession.

Agreed

I'm acctually suprised the rules wernt re-written last year after that dez fiasco
Ya they should have changed that... maybe they will now.

Wouldn't be too worried about TE the rest of the season (woe, how did I just now realize that those were his initials :shock: )... he will get more looks then he did last week I think.

That was a catch, he maintained possession with two feet down and then crossed the goal line with the ball. Old rule, new rule, the rules have always held that a catch.
The worst thing about these calls is the jobber ex-ref they bring on during the broadcast to stumble through some BS explanation.

"Uhh, well Jim, he has to complete the process through the ground."

"But I thought that didn't matter once the receiver has clear possession and the ball crosses the goal line?"

"Uhhm, yeah, uhh, we're making this up as we go along."

The rule is written poorly, but the interpretation is strange too. If he caught the ball at the 5-yard line, turned up field, was tackled, and the defender kicked the ball out of his hands after crossing the plane, it's a touchdown. The only different in this case is that he established possession at the one-yard line and then reached across. It's stupid to me that the movement to reach across after he got two feet down and turned upfield isn't considered to be the "completion of the catch".

Basically, the NFL doesn't need to change the rule so much as come up with a better way to define the completion of the catch. Then it's just a matter of determining that point and figuring out whether the ball coming lose happened prior to the completion or afterwards. The Eifert TD is pretty clear, whereas the Dez catch is more open to judgment (I think it's a catch, but it's close), but either way, fixing the rule wouldn't make it so the refs could perceive the catch process to be two full seconds long and then rule that a fumble was really a failure to complete the catch.

No TD was one thing. But would a single catch the rest of the day have been too much to ask?

I should have known not to trust a Cincy TE, but as much talent as this kid has, that was a seriously disappointing performance.

Walking Boot said:
Same rule for a catch & fall across the plane of the goal line as it is for a catch, toe-tap, and then a fall out of bounds. Ball comes out in either case, no catch.
I agree. I actually think this was an easier call than the Dez one. As he caught it, he got tackled and went to the ground. He lost it when he hit the ground. Doesn't matter if it crosses the plane. Not sure why people compare it to a RB taking a handoff. I don't like the rule at all in some cases where it is obvious (like Calvin when he dropped it while was standing up), but it is the rule.

No TD was one thing. But would a single catch the rest of the day have been too much to ask?

I should have known not to trust a Cincy TE, but as much talent as this kid has, that was a seriously disappointing performance.
Bengals took what was given to them - which wasn't the TE this week.

-QG

do not worry brohans the old ear fart will be back blowing it out before you know it take that to the bank brohans

Grahamburn said:
packer_junkie said:
Either way... where was he the rest of the game???
Looks like Baltimore may have game planned to stop Eifert and the running game, but forgot about some A.J. Green character.
Yeah, pretty much. Oakland doubled Green most of week 1, and San Diego did too. Ravens played man coverage and got killed by it. Probably a good thing for Eifert owners going forward, just like Eifert's huge week 1 was good for Green going forward.

Every WR or TE has a game like this sometimes. Nothing to see here IMO. He will continue to produce.

Every WR or TE has a game like this sometimes. Nothing to see here IMO. He will continue to produce.
Thanks for talking me off the ledge. I know you're right about this.

I was worried about eifert until I watched the condensed game today. Believe it or not he was inches from putting up 10 points at least. Ez td got kicked out by the defenders foot in an awkward position, he had another decent catch called back because of penalty and he had a couple bad drops. For putting up a zero this is probably the most involved i have seen a player that was part of the game plan that scored a zero. It was a perfect storm of oddities that kept him from scoring a single point

I was worried about eifert until I watched the condensed game today. Believe it or not he was inches from putting up 10 points at least. Ez td got kicked out by the defenders foot in an awkward position, he had another decent catch called back because of penalty and he had a couple bad drops. For putting up a zero this is probably the most involved i have seen a player that was part of the game plan that scored a zero. It was a perfect storm of oddities that kept him from scoring a single point
I thought the same thing. Might be a good time to buy. Goose eggs can have way more irrational psychological effect on an owner than if he put up 3 points and still lost them their matchup

Sigmund Bloom ‏@SigmundBloom 13h13 hours ago

Sigmund Bloom Retweeted Joe Goodberry

Don't bail on Eifert bc goose egg. Still clear emphasis of RZ passing and CIN offense will be in red zone frequently
Joe Goodberry ‏@JoeGoodberry

@SigmundBloom completely agree. Had a drop in red zone, had two 25+ yard screens that failed, a TD called back and held on this play in RZ.
Goodberry is an essential Bengals follow btw.

-QG

From ESPN Bengals beat writer Coley Harvey about Dalton's pre-snap changes. Originally the last touchdown was going to be a pass to Eifert.:

"But when Dalton scanned the defense and saw linebackers creeping up from Eifert's side of the field, he yelled out to the tight end and had him move up close to right tackle Andre Smith's flank. Dalton wanted an extra blocker as he set up the play that he really wanted: a 7-yard left-side fade to Pro Bowl receiver A.J. Green. Helped by running back Giovani Bernard, Eifert gave enough of a chip on blitzing Ravens linebacker C.J. Mosley that Dalton had all day to pass."

-QG

This is wat drives me crazy about FF. Dalton throws for near 400 and 3 td's and Eifert puts up a steaming pile....did the D key on him while AJ ran wild? Didn't watch.

Sigmund Bloom ‏@SigmundBloom 13h13 hours ago

Sigmund Bloom Retweeted Joe Goodberry

Don't bail on Eifert bc goose egg. Still clear emphasis of RZ passing and CIN offense will be in red zone frequently
Joe Goodberry ‏@JoeGoodberry

@SigmundBloom completely agree. Had a drop in red zone, had two 25+ yard screens that failed, a TD called back and held on this play in RZ.
Yes, that's the positive spin and I agree. Now the downside. A big reason he didn't cash in on some of the opportunity was he played horrible in this game. Haven't seen the PFF grades, but pretty sure he got whipped in blocking and didn't hang onto some catchable passes (stupid rule but still). As JG says, they tried to feature him... Problem is it didn't work.

Never ceases to amaze me how fickle FF players (and people in general) can be.

After a good week: "OMG! What a stud! I love this guy!"

After a bad week: "OMG! What a turd! I'm cutting this guy!"

There are very very very few players who produce great stats every week. That's just not the way this game works. Look at Jimmy Graham. A week ago the sky was falling and he was a total waste in Seattle. One week later and it's business as usual. If you aren't prepared to ride out both the highs and the lows, this probably isn't the hobby for you because the majority of good players aren't going to give you Antonio Brown-like consistency. Eifert is still really good and will finish high among all the TEs this season. BTW this is how close he came to scoring a TD this weekend:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-instant-replay/0ap3000000539746/Instant-Replay-Did-Eifert-score-a-touchdown

Users who are viewing this thread