What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Travis Kelce, KC (2 Viewers)

oh hey brohans i see how it is it is like hey swc gave us some great nickname ideas now everyone wants to be the king of nicknames well hey i see how it is you brohans have a great time and i say good day sir take that to the bank brohans
What is with your brohan spiel? Seriously.

gchip said:
gchip, on 08 Oct 2014 - 6:01 PM, said:I know it's a little crazy but Andy might make me sell Kelce high while I still can.
I have this worry too, especially in dynasty leagues. Reid just doesn't seem to put much premium on his TE's, and I suspect they'll be getting WR help in the draft next year.

brohans except tj look for another big week from the exploding burrito it is his by week and he will probably do something awesome like help a kid or save a building from a fire so keep your eyes peeled and take that to the bank brohans except tj
Don't forget thwart a bank robbery. Travis Kelce will take that to the bank brohan.

gchip said:
gchip, on 08 Oct 2014 - 6:01 PM, said:I know it's a little crazy but Andy might make me sell Kelce high while I still can.
I have this worry too, especially in dynasty leagues. Reid just doesn't seem to put much premium on his TE's, and I suspect they'll be getting WR help in the draft next year.
I dont think its a TE problem, its just a Reid likes Fasano more than Kelce problem for some reason. No one will ever accuse Reid of making good decisions.

gchip said:
I dont think its a TE problem, its just a Reid likes Fasano more than Kelce problem for some reason. No one will ever accuse Reid of making good decisions.
And Fasano's only on the 2nd year of his 4yr/$16million deal!

Joy........ :doh:

gchip said:
A lot of these coaches have to be dragged kicking and screaming from their reliable vets, even if they're less talented. It usually takes an injury for the light to turn on.

gchip said:
gchip, on 08 Oct 2014 - 6:01 PM, said:

I know it's a little crazy but Andy might make me sell Kelce high while I still can.

Wait...WHAT?!? are you being serious? Fasano got a $16mm contract?? What in the...he's terrible. He's a good blocker and an average talent at pass catching at best.

gchip, on 08 Oct 2014 - 6:01 PM, said:

I know it's a little crazy but Andy might make me sell Kelce high while I still can.

Wait...WHAT?!? are you being serious? Fasano got a $16mm contract?? What in the...he's terrible. He's a good blocker and an average talent at pass catching at best.
Seems to be the going rate for those type of tight ends. Pettigrew got the same deal.

Not sure Fasano has any guaranteed money on his deal after this year. Anyway next year he's due $2.8m, and the following year he'd be due $3.6m.

Fasano's only has 4.5M of guaranteed money, so his contract may not be an issue this year. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/anthony-fasano/

Why is it so hard for Reid to call plays for this guy/Smith to target this guy? He's clearly their most dangerous receiving weapon (outside of Charles).

Why is it so hard for Reid to call plays for this guy/Smith to target this guy? He's clearly their most dangerous receiving weapon (outside of Charles).
It's weird. There are a ton of pass catching tight ends in the NFL who are average to mediocre blockers who still get a ton of looks. And they play on teams with far more offensive weapons than the Chiefs. I understand the Chiefs want to run, but then leave Fasano in. Run two tights with Bowe and a speed demon on the outside. Kelce needs to get a lot more targets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kelce is in a similar situation to Ertz. Fasano and Celek are better blockers and getting the running game is more important to winning than TE receptions. Both McCoy and Charles are having better games with their run blockers playing more.

Gronk, Graham, and Thomas are studs because they stay on the field and don't telegraph passing situations.

Kelce is in a similar situation to Ertz. Fasano and Celek are better blockers and getting the running game is more important to winning than TE receptions. Both McCoy and Charles are having better games with their run blockers playing more.

Gronk, Graham, and Thomas are studs because they stay on the field and don't telegraph passing situations.
Kelce's situation is different in that all the receivers on his team are garbage, so there is pretty much no reason why they can't run more 2TE packages.

Today was a hugely disposing day regarding his usage, and that makes it 2 weeks in a row where kelce was barely involved in the gameplan. That knocks him out of the elite tier of tight ends imo.

When he does have the ball in his hands he is an absolute stallion and he has elite te skill set for sure. But his coaches are too dumb to understand what to do with him.

They'd rather throw the ball to junior hemi way out of the slot so he can have embarrassing drops on what could be a td.

Because...you know...junior Hemingway is the bomb and all.

Coming out of the bye week I thought Reid would have this guy ready for a bigger role. Concerned about the organization trying to fit this guy into a steady role.

Kelce's situation is different in that all the receivers on his team are garbage, so there is pretty much no reason why they can't run more 2TE packages.
Yes there is, Reid is the coach. His time as a coach has passed him by, how can he not see the talent. The situation this kid is in makes him Ladarius Green like.

Fat Andy....offensive genius
If Kelce was a Packer, HE would stack Pro Bowl on top of Pro Bowl. Looked like he wrenched his hand on the last drive. Hope there's nothing lingering cuz I'm sttarting with the hope someone in KC is watching tape on this dude.

I think Reid is only a small part of the problem. I think the bigger part is Smith. Smith just does not throw it down the field, whether it's because he doesn't have the arm strength or he doesn't to avoid risk or both. I know there was one play where Kelce was open deep and Alex Smith scrambled and threw the ball away instead of taking the risk of throwing it deep to Kelce. It's probably pretty frustrating being a WR in a Smith led offense. Your thinking has to be altered to adjust your route towards the QB rather than your natural instinct of breaking your route deep.

Rotoworld:

Travis Kelce caught 4-of-4 targets for 33 yards in Kansas City's Week 7 win over the Chargers.

Kelce had a fifth grab wiped out by an offensive pass interference call on Anthony Fasano. Kelce ripped off back-to-back gains of 16 and eight yards on the Chiefs' game-winning drive, but was bafflingly limited to just two targets beforehand. It was confounding usage from coach Andy Reid, who watched Junior Hemingway and Dwayne Bowe commit brutal drops, and A.J. Jenkins display stunningly-little awareness. Kelce is the Chiefs' most-effective pass catcher not named Jamaal Charles, but until Reid starts utilizing him as such, he'll remain a boom-or-bust TE1.

Oct 19 - 8:08 PM

Rotoworld:

Travis Kelce caught 4-of-4 targets for 33 yards in Kansas City's Week 7 win over the Chargers.

Kelce had a fifth grab wiped out by an offensive pass interference call on Anthony Fasano. Kelce ripped off back-to-back gains of 16 and eight yards on the Chiefs' game-winning drive, but was bafflingly limited to just two targets beforehand. It was confounding usage from coach Andy Reid, who watched Junior Hemingway and Dwayne Bowe commit brutal drops, and A.J. Jenkins display stunningly-little awareness. Kelce is the Chiefs' most-effective pass catcher not named Jamaal Charles, but until Reid starts utilizing him as such, he'll remain a boom-or-bust TE1.

Oct 19 - 8:08 PM
Now Fasano resorted to purposely wipe out Kelce's catches in a pathetic effort of undermine Special K?

There's a difference between wanting something to happen and it actually happening.

(i.e. Kelce becoming an instant stud TE)

Buffaloes said:
Reid is an idiot.

plain and simple.
odd timing considering his team just knocked off a really good SD team on the road.
whats odd playing a lame devils advocate shtick thread to thread or the fact that's it's odd for a man being payed a fortune to make the ultimate decisions of who will move the offense? No name WRS with fringe talent or an uncoverable new age freak TE that would spread/move the D to give Charles more room. It's quite simple.

Buffaloes said:
Reid is an idiot.

plain and simple.
odd timing considering his team just knocked off a really good SD team on the road.
whats odd playing a lame devils advocate shtick thread to thread or the fact that's it's odd for a man being payed a fortune to make the ultimate decisions of who will move the offense? No name WRS with fringe talent or an uncoverable new age freak TE that would spread/move the D to give Charles more room. It's quite simple.
His job is to win games. As a kelce owner I sure would like to see him get more involved and from what I can see, he should be more involved. Your point is valid. But calling Andy an idiot after beating a very good team on the road is disingenuous.

Rotoworld:

Travis Kelce played on 40-of-75 snaps in Sunday's win over the Chargers.

The 53.3 percent rate is actually less than what Kelce had played over the previous three weeks (59.1 percent). It confirms that the Chiefs did not come out of the bye with an emphasis on featuring Kelce more, as he had zero first-half targets and finished with just 4-33-0. Owners need to stop banging their heads against a brick wall and expecting Andy Reid to unleash Kelce fully -- it's clear that's not in the immediate plans, especially after an excellent road win. He'll be a boom-or-bust TE1 against the Rams in Week 8.

Source: profootballfocus.com
Oct 20 - 11:53 AM

What the hell was the New England game that Monday night? They made an emphasis on featuring him, he had a great game, the entire offense looked great, and nothing since then. WTF

What the hell was the New England game that Monday night? They made an emphasis on featuring him, he had a great game, the entire offense looked great, and nothing since then. WTF
New Englands defense is doing an incredible job of shutting down opposing WRs.

I imagine it was part of the gameplan, run it all day and throw it to the TEs.

The Antone Smith of KC.

I don't say this very often but I agree with RotoWorld's take. I think Kelce owners have to stop hoping he becomes a larger part of the offense. If it didn't happen coming out of a bye chances are it isn't going to happen at all. The biggest takeaway for me from yesterday's game is the Chiefs won with Kelce being an almost total afterthought (although he did come up big on the game-winning drive) so now Reid probably feels no motivation at all to change things.

Users who are viewing this thread