What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Travis Kelce, KC (5 Viewers)

I don't say this very often but I agree with RotoWorld's take. I think Kelce owners have to stop hoping he becomes a larger part of the offense. If it didn't happen coming out of a bye chances are it isn't going to happen at all. The biggest takeaway for me from yesterday's game is the Chiefs won with Kelce being an almost total afterthought (although he did come up big on the game-winning drive) so now Reid probably feels no motivation at all to change things.
TE seems to be a very volatile position and a lot depends on the pressure the defense is bringing and blocking assignments/matchups (see Jordan Cameron this week). Who aside from the top five do we really place above Kelce at this point upside-wise? His upside is still intriguing... I'm only carrying one tight end and Jace Amaro is about the only guy on our wire so I'm probably stuck riding this out...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't say this very often but I agree with RotoWorld's take. I think Kelce owners have to stop hoping he becomes a larger part of the offense. If it didn't happen coming out of a bye chances are it isn't going to happen at all. The biggest takeaway for me from yesterday's game is the Chiefs won with Kelce being an almost total afterthought (although he did come up big on the game-winning drive) so now Reid probably feels no motivation at all to change things.
TE seems to be a very volatile position and a lot depends on the pressure the defense is bringing and blocking assignments/matchups (see Jordan Cameron this week). Who aside from the top five do we really place above Kelce at this point upside-wise? His upside is still intriguing... I'm only carrying one tight end and Jace Amaro is about the only guy on our wire so I'm probably stuck riding this out...
I'm not saying anyone should bail. Despite the lack of involvement (as much as he deserves anyway) he's still been a productive fantasy TE nearly every week. I'm just saying that I don't think Kelce owners (and I'm one of them) should keep holding out hope Reid will see the light at this point. Maybe he will and that'd be great. But all signs currently point to the status quo being maintained.

As far as his upside I'd say it's as high if not higher than any TE after Graham (when healthy), Gronk (when healthy) and Thomas. So there's definitely reason to keep starting him if you have been. I was just hopeful we'd get to a point where he'd be getting 8-10 targets on a consistent basis which his talent and productivity strongly indicate he's earned but I'm not sure that's gonna happen this season. Maybe next year it will.

I'm not saying anyone should bail. Despite the lack of involvement (as much as he deserves anyway) he's still been a productive fantasy TE nearly every week. I'm just saying that I don't think Kelce owners (and I'm one of them) should keep holding out hope Reid will see the light at this point. Maybe he will and that'd be great. But all signs currently point to the status quo being maintained.As far as his upside I'd say it's as high if not higher than any TE after Graham (when healthy), Gronk (when healthy) and Thomas. So there's definitely reason to keep starting him if you have been. I was just hopeful we'd get to a point where he'd be getting 8-10 targets on a consistent basis which his talent and productivity strongly indicate he's earned but I'm not sure that's gonna happen this season. Maybe next year it will.
At least some red zone targets would be nice...

I have him as my only TE and I'm 5-2 so I'm very happy with him. In ppr leagues it's great to see that they rely on him so heavily in crunch time.

So far the only opposing Te he's been outscored by on my games is Olsen.

I have him as my only TE and I'm 5-2 so I'm very happy with him. In ppr leagues it's great to see that they rely on him so heavily in crunch time.

So far the only opposing Te he's been outscored by on my games is Olsen.
Not PPR, but same situation. I'm not understanding what people are complaining about.

brohans except tj look for another big week from the exploding burrito it is his by week and he will probably do something awesome like help a kid or save a building from a fire so keep your eyes peeled and take that to the bank brohans except tj
Just saw this. Are you 10 or something? Have you heard of punctuation? Brohan.

brohans except tj look for another big week from the exploding burrito it is his by week and he will probably do something awesome like help a kid or save a building from a fire so keep your eyes peeled and take that to the bank brohans except tj
Bro

Dude

As a Kecle owner in my "biggest" money league, I only casually watch him and the team.

But interestingly enough, I saw quite a bit yesterday, and 2 things stood out for me in his "limited" action.

#1 - Apparently KC is happy to just roll along on the Jamaal Charles train, with the occasional toss to someone else.

They seem to be content all game long like this, giving Kelce literally zero looks.

#2 - When the pressure picked up and the game was on the line in KC's final drive, who did Smith look for (and ultimately find) needing to pick up a much needed first down? Kelce.

He came through with 2 receptions very late in the game, and helped to ultimately win by getting them close enough for a FG. He fought for a few extra yards on one particular play. (if you want to call it that)

4 targets, 4 receptions. Hell, I don't even think he had a target the entire first half.

Now what did I learn????

Andy Reid just doesn't have the desire to try and utilize this guy to his fullest extent.

Now I don't think he is the second coming of Gronk, but the potential of "elite TE1" is there and he should be used much more than he is.

Perhaps Reid is more "old school" and wants to run , run, run. Offhand I can think of several RBs that have absolutely excelled in his system, but damn if I can remember even a single TE that has been truly "elite" under his management.

In short- I just doubt that the potential of a truly huge breakout season is in store for Kelce..........at least as long as Reid is at the Helm.

I'm sure there are many here that know far more about his history than I do though.

I'm not willing to just cut Kelce and hit the wire, but I am definitely tempering my expectations.

TZM

whoa

As a Kecle owner in my "biggest" money league, I only casually watch him and the team.

But interestingly enough, I saw quite a bit yesterday, and 2 things stood out for me in his "limited" action.

#1 - Apparently KC is happy to just roll along on the Jamaal Charles train, with the occasional toss to someone else.

They seem to be content all game long like this, giving Kelce literally zero looks.

#2 - When the pressure picked up and the game was on the line in KC's final drive, who did Smith look for (and ultimately find) needing to pick up a much needed first down? Kelce.

He came through with 2 receptions very late in the game, and helped to ultimately win by getting them close enough for a FG. He fought for a few extra yards on one particular play. (if you want to call it that)

4 targets, 4 receptions. Hell, I don't even think he had a target the entire first half.

Now what did I learn????

Andy Reid just doesn't have the desire to try and utilize this guy to his fullest extent.

Now I don't think he is the second coming of Gronk, but the potential of "elite TE1" is there and he should be used much more than he is.

Perhaps Reid is more "old school" and wants to run , run, run. Offhand I can think of several RBs that have absolutely excelled in his system, but damn if I can remember even a single TE that has been truly "elite" under his management.

In short- I just doubt that the potential of a truly huge breakout season is in store for Kelce..........at least as long as Reid is at the Helm.

I'm sure there are many here that know far more about his history than I do though.

I'm not willing to just cut Kelce and hit the wire, but I am definitely tempering my expectations.

TZM
Reid historically is pass, pass, pass (more short passes than say Arians system), but every so often he realizes Jamaal is a top 3 back and will ride him. Last season he did a lot. Just watching Kelce, you can see the potential just bursting off the screen. I think that is why it's frustrating...

Yikes...easy there Brohan...

ETA...what is this strange thing "punctuation" you speak of?

I'm ok with Reid wanting to ride Charles more and more since he's the #1 weapon in that offense but Kelce is either #2 or 2b to Bowe. There's no reason they should be giving Hemingway looks in that offense before Kelce...or at all.

I'm ok with Reid wanting to ride Charles more and more since he's the #1 weapon in that offense but Kelce is either #2 or 2b to Bowe. There's no reason they should be giving Hemingway looks in that offense before Kelce...or at all.
:shrug: if it can convince defenses to work on Hemingway later in the year, and leave Kelce more open, I'm good with it.

CentralPA said:
Air Stich said:
T J said:
whoa
T J = Not a brohan
I guess not. I've got nothing against SWC. I just don't get the guy. Probably my loss, but oh well.

I'm not Reid's biggest fan but I'm not putting Kelce's average numbers all on him,although he should get more snaps. I watched the end of the KC game,there was one series when Alex Smith had two chances to get the ball downfield and pulled back just before the throw,he wound up dumping the ball off both times,one of the plays he was looking at Kelce about 40 yards downfield,if he lets that pass go,and Kelce was open on the replay,all of a sudden Kelce has a very nice game,he easily could have run for more yardage after the catch. Nice matchup this weekend,I'm starting him as a flex.

I'm not Reid's biggest fan but I'm not putting Kelce's average numbers all on him,although he should get more snaps. I watched the end of the KC game,there was one series when Alex Smith had two chances to get the ball downfield and pulled back just before the throw,he wound up dumping the ball off both times,one of the plays he was looking at Kelce about 40 yards downfield,if he lets that pass go,and Kelce was open on the replay,all of a sudden Kelce has a very nice game,he easily could have run for more yardage after the catch. Nice matchup this weekend,I'm starting him as a flex.
Very much agree. Pretty much through his whole career Alex Smith has been reluctant to throw into coverage on a deep ball. Like he has trust issues with his arm. Don't blame him though. I never thought he threw a particularly good deep ball.

I'm pretty sure I heard the announcers point this out as well during the game. I guess it's tough to argue when the Chiefs won but I really wish Smith would take a risk every now and then. Not just for Kelce but for the entire offense.

Rotoworld:

Travis Kelce (ribs) was limited in Chiefs' practice Wednesday.

Kelce is day to day with rib soreness. It's not something that should sideline him for Week 8, but could impact his snap count. Kelce's status will be updated again on Thursday.

Oct 22 - 6:35 PM

I'm pretty sure I heard the announcers point this out as well during the game. I guess it's tough to argue when the Chiefs won but I really wish Smith would take a risk every now and then. Not just for Kelce but for the entire offense.
Might be time to fire up the Mexican Messiah Escobar? At least Romo knows how to throw downfield.

whoa
T J = Not a brohan
I guess not. I've got nothing against SWC. I just don't get the guy. Probably my loss, but oh well.
hey man i was not trying to be mean you just did not like my comments so i made sure you knew i was not trying to bother you that is it so hey you can be my brohan any time take that to the bank bromigo

Rotoworld:

Travis Kelce caught four passes for 45 yards in the Chiefs' Week 8 beatdown of the Rams.

Kelce was targeted a team-high six times, along with Dwayne Bowe. He showed impressive YAC ability, shaking a couple Rams defenders out of their cleats on two occasions. Kelce was also stopped at the one-inch line in the second quarter before Jamaal Charles got the goal-line carry for the touchdown. Kelce remains a situational role player in Andy Reid's offense, but is still a boom-or-bust TE1. He'll be a recommended play against the Jets' inept pass defense next week.

Oct 26 - 5:37 PM

whoa
T J = Not a brohan
It's just his shtick. I don't get it either but enough people get a kick out of it that he sticks to it. I've learned to just pretend his posts aren't there and if they bother you, then you'll probably have to do the same.

Rotoworld:

Travis Kelce caught four passes for 45 yards in the Chiefs' Week 8 beatdown of the Rams.Kelce was targeted a team-high six times, along with Dwayne Bowe. He showed impressive YAC ability, shaking a couple Rams defenders out of their cleats on two occasions. Kelce was also stopped at the one-inch line in the second quarter before Jamaal Charles got the goal-line carry for the touchdown. Kelce remains a situational role player in Andy Reid's offense, but is still a boom-or-bust TE1. He'll be a recommended play against the Jets' inept pass defense next week.

Oct 26 - 5:37 PM
I keep hearing this guy is a boom / bust player. So what's the boom for him anyway? 8/93/1?Boom is a guy who can score three touchdowns in one game. That's not Kelce. He's more of a poof / bust player.

I was considering him in the flex over Baldwin due to the matchup. Damn. I hope this means I can count on him to fill Gronks shoes next week.

Great in-depth article on Kelce at Deadspin today.

regressing.deadspin.com/the-chiefs-travis-kelce-might-be-the-next-revolutionary-1654151405/+kylenw

Posting from my phone since FBG is blocked at my work. Hopefully the link works. If not, can someone else repost it for me?

Great in-depth article on Kelce at Deadspin today.

regressing.deadspin.com/the-chiefs-travis-kelce-might-be-the-next-revolutionary-1654151405/+kylenw

Posting from my phone since FBG is blocked at my work. Hopefully the link works. If not, can someone else repost it for me?
http://regressing.deadspin.com/the-chiefs-travis-kelce-might-be-the-next-revolutionary-1654151405

I'm sure we have all seen the Gift from The Gods Fasano TD from last. He has to be the most dipped in #### guy going in the NFL right now.

Rotoworld:

Travis Kelce (ribs) is practicing in full for Week 10.
It confirms Kelce didn't suffer any setbacks in last week's win. Kelce is a boom-or-bust TE1 for Sunday's game against the Bills.

Nov 5 - 5:50 PM

I for one cannot understand the underutilization of Kelce.....It baffles my mind. Put him and Bowe on the same side of the formation and run Charles. Or flank Charles to the same side that Bowe/Kelce are on and run Davis?...Really.

I for one cannot understand the underutilization of Kelce.....It baffles my mind. Put him and Bowe on the same side of the formation and run Charles. Or flank Charles to the same side that Bowe/Kelce are on and run Davis?...Really.
It made sense earlier in the season to ease him back in, as he was coming back from micro-fracture surgery. He clearly wasn't 100% to start the season, similar to Gronk's situation. But there's really no excuse now to limit his snap count, unless there are still lingering effects from the surgery that we just don't know about.

Rotoworld:

Travis Kelce was held to two catches for 19 yards in Week 10 against the Bills.

Kelce secured both of his targets, but was a non-factor in a game where Alex Smith threw for just 177 yards. His only notable play was a third-down catch late in the fourth quarter. Kelce will remain a boom-or-bust TE1 in Week 11 against Seattle.

Nov 9 - 5:46 PM

Rotoworld:

Travis Kelce played on 41-of-62 snaps (66.1 percent) in Sunday's win at Buffalo.

The 66.1 percent actually represents a high point, as Kelce was in on just 54.9 percent of the snaps in the previous four games combined. He also set a new season-high with 24 routes run. Therefore, it's a bit confounding that he saw just two targets, catching both for 19 yards. We simply can't trust Andy Reid to get Kelce the ball right now, leaving him as a low-end TE1. The good news is he faces Seattle in Week 11, a team that has struggled mightily to defend tight ends this season.

Source: profootballfocus.com
Nov 10 - 9:34 AM

With the Chiefs WR corps, I'm pleased when Kelce gets any receptions.

He's been top ten most of the year in PPR and I suspect he is still in that 8-10 range. I can understand if you relied on him for your TE1 then you are frustrated, but that plan didn't jive with his ADP in late August.

He's my insurance to Julius. As with any policy, hope I never have to cash in.

YEah, Alex Smith seems scared at times to chuck the ball. I'm hoping they open it up a bit more as the season nears end. Bowe had a nice little PPR game but it is baffling when you see the flat out talent of kelce with the ball in his hands, good player. My other TE is Jordan Reed and that's worse.

Users who are viewing this thread