What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Travis Kelce, KC (1 Viewer)

Mooch (or maybe Kurt Warner) did a segment on Alex Smith a couple weeks ago. They showed a bunch of examples using the all-22 coaches' tape where the PRIMARY read was WIDE OPEN on either intermediate or deep routes (and this was Kelce several times), and Alex Smith inexplicably refused to throw to him, instead either running or dumping it off to someone short. They were highly critical of Smith. This isn't about Smith refusing to force balls into coverage downfield, this is about Smith simply being afraid to throw the ball further than 10 yards even if receivers are open.

Can't blame that on Andy Reid, I wouldn't think.
Have a link by chance? Pretty interesting.

What is Fasano's contract like going into next year?
As a pre-June 1 cut they would free up $1.975 in cap space and the cap penalty would be $2.250.

As a post-June 1 cut they would free up $3.100 in cap space and the cap penalty would be $1.125.

He's signed through 2016.

I still do not understand why KC decided to totally pass in one of the most promising WR drafts in the last 10 years.

Mooch (or maybe Kurt Warner) did a segment on Alex Smith a couple weeks ago. They showed a bunch of examples using the all-22 coaches' tape where the PRIMARY read was WIDE OPEN on either intermediate or deep routes (and this was Kelce several times), and Alex Smith inexplicably refused to throw to him, instead either running or dumping it off to someone short. They were highly critical of Smith. This isn't about Smith refusing to force balls into coverage downfield, this is about Smith simply being afraid to throw the ball further than 10 yards even if receivers are open.

No link. It was on NFL Game Day Morning two weeks ago.

I'm sure you can pick out some bad examples of bad reads on all QBs in the league. But there were several examples with Smith. And watching it on the all-22, I found it almost unbelievable that he isn't throwing the ball to these guys. Just wide, wide open down the field, right in his line of sight, no pressure on him, and he just doesn't deliver it.

People can argue sensationalistic all they want, but the tape doesn't lie, and it was pretty damning. And both Mooch and Warner seem to be pretty straight shooters to me. It's not like it was Irvin or Sapp saying Smith sucked.

I still do not understand why KC decided to totally pass in one of the most promising WR drafts in the last 10 years.
I didn't get it at all during the draft, but looking back I can see what they were thinking. Considering that they were likely already planning to cut Flowers I can see why they picked Gaines in the 3rd, they didn't have a 2nd round pick, and they went with Dee Ford in the 1st in order to prepare for whatever happens with Houston and Hali. Houston is a free agent this offseason and Hali only has one year left on his contract. Considering that their defense is totally dependent on good edge rushers I get the move, but... They picked Gaines at 87th overall. Moncrief went at 90 overall. John Brown went at 91.

Last edited by a moderator:

I saw the same segment, and I'm pretty sure they said "Look... this guy is wide open. But Smith's progressions are all on this side of the field. That's not Alex's fault."

Speaking for the fantasy community at large, I for one am quite glad that the likes of Benjamin or Beckham didn't end up on the Chiefs. I'm praying to the fantasy gods that Cooper somehow doesn't end up either a Jet or a Chief.

Dynasty, I'm maintaining a death grip on Kelce. But redraft I just cut bait on him last night. Deciding factor for me was now that we're past the bye weeks, could I ever trust him as a flex TE in the playoffs? For me the answer was no. I also have Allen and Gronk so it was time to say buh bye.

I also have Allen and Gronk so it was time to say buh bye.
I love Kelce but that's an easy call. You're never starting Kelce ahead of Gronk and if Gronk gets hurt again Allen has Top 5 upside. I'm not sure too many people have 3 TEs of that caliber on their roster. Well done. :)

Area51Inhabitant said:
Speaking for the fantasy community at large, I for one am quite glad that the likes of Benjamin or Beckham didn't end up on the Chiefs. I'm praying to the fantasy gods that Cooper somehow doesn't end up either a Jet or a Chief.
I agree that Benjamin would've been terrible in KC but I think some good RAC WRs like ODB would be ok even there.

As for Amari, he's going top 5-7 so he's safe. :lol:

ARI has allowed the least points to RB's. The most was McFadden at 15. Murray was held to 13.

ARI has given up the 6th most to TE's.

Possible outcomes?

• Jamaal eats
  • Jamaal shut down, Kelce eats
  • Jamaal shut down, Fasano / Bowe eats
  • Jamaal shut down, Smith and Reid give up before half-time

ARI has allowed the least points to RB's. The most was McFadden at 15. Murray was held to 13.

ARI has given up the 6th most to TE's.

Possible outcomes?

• Jamaal eats
  • Jamaal shut down, Kelce eats
  • Jamaal shut down, Fasano / Bowe eats
  • Jamaal shut down, Smith and Reid give up before half-time
In one playoff game, I think I am stuck playing Kelce and hoping for the best. I have Rudolph and some fodder on the waiver wire. I got beat to Miller, so I think I go with Kelce's potential.

That said, I am pretty sure the last one is the most likely outcome. I can see a play with Kelce wide open in the end zone while Smith is rolling to the right and since the safety is only 20 yards away, Smith curls up in the fetal position to save a FG when they are down 14 with 5 minutes left in the game. Oh wait, that isn't my imagination, I recall seeing that happen a couple weeks ago. :wall:

I'm done hoping for a big game from Kelce. Just doesn't seem like Reid will allow it. I'll take the 6-7 points or so Kelce typically gets in PPR and move on. Anything more will be a bonus.

I'm done hoping for a big game from Kelce. Just doesn't seem like Reid will allow it. I'll take the 6-7 points or so Kelce typically gets in PPR and move on. Anything more will be a bonus.
This is where I'm at. TE is not a position on my team I'm counting on out-scoring my opposition. Those positions for me are RB and WR. My QB is ok, but Kelce has been my starter all year. Gotta pick your battles and the TE position ain't one of them for me.

In one of my dynasty leagues I missed the playoffs and we have a toilet bowl for the first overall pick. I traded my first and I am starting Kelce this week, so I guarantee he get 100 plus a touchdown or 50 and 2 touchdowns and will win me my game.

I have Kelce in both a standard and 0.5 PPR league. Drafted Pitta in both, and considering how screwed I've been in previous years when I lost a TE, I really can't complain too much about Kelce's production.

I'm benching him in my standard league this week, but only because I was able to get Allen. He's still starting for my other team, and I feel pretty good about the AZ match-up.

Reid's usage of him is frustrating, but I really can't say it's killed my team. Like I said, if you had told me when Pitta went down that I'd get this level of production or of the TE slot, is have taken it any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I'm not one to rag on Rotoworld as much as most but I'm sick of their tagline that Kelce is a "boom or bust" player.
How do you look at these HPPR stats and call him that, he's a high floor, low ceiling guy the way he's being used.

I'm not one to rag on Rotoworld as much as most but I'm sick of their tagline that Kelce is a "boom or bust" player.
How do you look at these HPPR stats and call him that, he's a high floor, low ceiling guy the way he's being used.
6 6.4 10.1 11.1 19.3 8.5 0 5.3 6.5 14.7 2.9 3.2 8.7 5.1 8.5
High floor might be a bit off, but you're spot on about him not being a boom or bust. He's got to boom at least once in a while to get that.

6 6.4 10.1 11.1 19.3 8.5 0 5.3 6.5 14.7 2.9 3.2 8.7 5.1 8.5
High floor might be a bit off, but you're spot on about him not being a boom or bust. He's got to boom at least once in a while to get that.
There was that great game (8-93-1) against NE. That week after was filled with so much hope.

sigh

Rolling him one last time while the Colts' TE situation gets ironed out. But I do think he (or Fasano) has (yet another) chance to do well seeing ARI is so good against the run, bad against TE's.

That said, I'm on BYE.

Hopefully everyone started him this week. 7/110. Unfortunately no TD and was credited with a BS fumble call which hurt, but still good numbers. Hopefully this becomes a regular thing over the next 2 weeks.

In one of my dynasty leagues I missed the playoffs and we have a toilet bowl for the first overall pick. I traded my first and I am starting Kelce this week, so I guarantee he get 100 plus a touchdown or 50 and 2 touchdowns and will win me my game.
:( Update?

Rolling with him over leaving my TE spot empty. I've been riding him all year, no reason to stop now. Unless you have a top 5 kind of guy, Kelce's bad weeks are the same as every other TE's bad week, so I never saw a reason to pick up anybody else.

TeeDub said:
How are u guys feeling about him this week?
Same as always. Good for 6-7 points in PPR as a floor with big upside if Reid pulls his head out of his ### and uses him properly.

TeeDub said:
How are u guys feeling about him this week?
He set a new season high for pass routes with 44 against ARI so he was obviously a big part of the gameplan. His season average is 23 pass routes per game. It could be that Reid has decided to utilize him more, but ARI has been a great TE matchup for years so it's not very surprising that Kelce had a good game versus them.

This week they're playing the Raiders who they lost to a few weeks ago in a game where Kelce ran 38 pass routes - the second most pass routes he's had this season... Raiders have been a good TE matchup lately, Chiefs are playing at home, they've lost three straight so you'd think that they're due for a bounce-back. I feel good about him. Things are setting up nicely. But he's had plenty of weeks where the matchup has been great and he hasn't performed so I wouldn't go crazy and start him over more reliable TE1 options like Bennett or Olsen.

For me, its between him and Ertz. I've been rollin with Kelce all season, and prolly will go with him again. I actually thought goin into the season, that Kelce would benefit from Captain checkdown at QB. But, the reality is, Alex Smith isn't very good, and it will be crapshoot from week to week.

That said, at home vs. the Raiders is juicy.

No link. It was on NFL Game Day Morning two weeks ago.

I'm sure you can pick out some bad examples of bad reads on all QBs in the league. But there were several examples with Smith. And watching it on the all-22, I found it almost unbelievable that he isn't throwing the ball to these guys. Just wide, wide open down the field, right in his line of sight, no pressure on him, and he just doesn't deliver it.

People can argue sensationalistic all they want, but the tape doesn't lie, and it was pretty damning. And both Mooch and Warner seem to be pretty straight shooters to me. It's not like it was Irvin or Sapp saying Smith sucked.
His early years in the league he was a turnover machine and he just quit trying to throw downfield. Someone asked why KC didn't go after a wr in the draft, well if Smith is the qb it is honestly a waste. He won't use them so you might as well draft at another position.

Rotoworld:

Travis Kelce has played on 80.4 percent of the snaps the last two weeks.

Kelce's usage has quietly spiked recently even though Anthony Fasano has been healthy. Kelce ran a season-high 46 routes in Week 14 and backed that up by running 30 in Week 15 -- his third-highest mark of the season. Over the last month, Kelce is fantasy's No. 4 tight end and faces a Steelers defense burnable in every facet this week. He's clearly in play as a TE1 for both season-long and daily players.

Source: profootballfocus.com
Dec 18 - 11:40 AM

So, what's the general verdict after his first full season?

Who's holding and who's selling?

I wouldn't want to get rid of a player with his talent and skill set. It really won't take much for him to become a Top 3-5 TE. All he needs is a consistent role. Maybe Reid will figure it out in the offseason. But in terms of talent Kelce's exactly the kind of guy I'd want in a Keeper or Dynasty league. Young. Talented and plays at a position with only a few truly elite options.

Kelce was voted the #4 dynasty TE on a dynasty message board I frequent, about 120-150 posters. Just to put a number on his possible value this offseason. And many said he was close to the #3, JT.

Rotoworld:

Travis Kelce - TE - Chiefs

Travis Kelce caught seven passes for 84 yards and a touchdown in Sunday's Week 17 win over the Chargers.

Kelce's touchdown was a fumble recovery in the end-zone. He'll finish 2014 with a 67/862/6 line, clearly establishing himself as Alex Smith's No. 1 option in the second half. Despite losing snaps to in-line TE Anthony Fasano, Kelce was second on the team behind only Dwayne Bowe with 81 targets. Kelce will return as a top-ten fantasy tight end in 2015.

Dec 28 - 5:40 PM

Late night rumblings are coming out, that Dwayne Bowe will either be "asked to restructure" his contract, or might be gone from Kansas City.

As far as I'm concerned, this might be one of the best things to happen to Kelce. (if Bowe leaves)

Months ago I gave up on my "unleash this guy" mindset, but I have to think that Bowe exiting would give him an additional target or two per game, and thats only a good thing.

If this talk continues, I only hope that the "Kelce hype" stays low leading up to the preseason.

I'm sure it won't,(especially if Bowe leaves) but I hope it at least stays relatively quiet.

I believe he finished as TE #8 in ESPN standard this year, and I can easily see a scenario where he is TE #5-ish, or better.

I get the feeling this is going to be my target TE next season in the mid to late rounds.

TZM

Users who are viewing this thread