What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Travis Kelce, KC (7 Viewers)

In my dynasty league the rule for rookie drafts is thata player is considered a rookie if he has not yet played a regular seasons nap. So kelce qualifies. Is he worth a pick at 1.8?

In my dynasty league the rule for rookie drafts is thata player is considered a rookie if he has not yet played a regular seasons nap. So kelce qualifies. Is he worth a pick at 1.8?
Interesting. I would imagine you could get Kelce a bit later than 1.8 in a Rookie draft, but with the preseason he is having, he is unlikely to make it too far. If you are also holding the 2.5, I think that might be a better spot to target Kelce, and still get some value. Kelce is obviously not going to continue at this torrid pace once the regular season rolls around, and selecting him at 1.8 means you are passing on some very highly-rated rookies. Despite his strong showing, I still rank Kelce several rungs below Ebron for dynasty purposes, although Kelce is admittedly closing the gap in a hurry.

I had Travis Kelce ranked as high as eight overall for the 2013 draft class.

However that is more a reflection of a 2013 draft class that to me was not very promising overall for fantasy football.

If I were to rank Kelce in the 2014 draft class he would be ranked 23rd overall, just after ASJ.

I wrote an article about this a week or so ago here if you would like to read more about my perspective on Travis Kelce in dynasty.

Thanks guys! Ill check out that article! By the way a little off-topic, do you agree with that definition for a rookie? not having taken a single nfl regular season snap? I think it makes sense.

However that is more a reflection of a 2013 draft class that to me was not very promising overall for fantasy football.

If I were to rank Kelce in the 2014 draft class he would be ranked 23rd overall, just after ASJ.

I wrote an article about this a week or so ago here if you would like to read more about my perspective on Travis Kelce in dynasty.
Wait...your article says he played one special teams snap in 2013 before being injured...are you certain of this? I remember him being injured all through training camp and then being put on IR.

Wait...your article says he played one special teams snap in 2013 before being injured...are you certain of this? I remember him being injured all through training camp and then being put on IR.
This article says he did not take a single regular season snap in 2013: http://kan.scout.com/story/1419531-12-days-to-camp-travis-kelce%C2'>

Big fan of kelce but that's too early for me even.

Fwiw I was able to get him mid 3rd round in a rookie draft back in June. I would imagine he would go somewhere before that now though

This article says he did not take a single regular season snap in 2013:
He had one on special teams before being injured.

Here is an interesting article talking about snap counts from the most recent preseason game.

*Starting tight end Anthony Fasano played all but two of the first-team offense’s snaps (37) while (explosive?) backup Travis Kelce logged 29 throughout the course of the game. This is no coincidence. I think the Chiefs will use a ton of two-tight-end sets because they need to find a way to get Kelce on the field and they’ll also be able to help a potentially worrisome offensive line.

Keep in mind also that third-string tight end Demetrius Harris (18 snaps) almost logged more playing time than both fullbacks — Anthony Sherman and Jordan Campbell — combined. Those two combined for 20 snaps.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/article1247819.html#storylink=cpy

What is Kelce going for in dynasty leagues now? I got an offer of a 3rd rounder for him that I will turn down, wondering how others view his value.

He went in the second round of rookie drafts. If you take a 2015 second-round pick for him you are losing value after letting him take up space on your roster/IR for a year. It depends on how much you think the "damaged goods" factor comes into play.

I hear ya. But thinking you can get a 1 for him is not a reality. I can't even get a 1 for Ertz, who went early 2 in most drafts last year, and he seems to be viewed as a better shot at breaking out or if they both do, breaking out in a bigger way. That is why I am holding any 2nd year TE's I have right now and going to let the cards play out the first couple weeks of the season.

He went in the second round of rookie drafts. If you take a 2015 second-round pick for him you are losing value after letting him take up space on your roster/IR for a year. It depends on how much you think the "damaged goods" factor comes into play.
Maybe, but if you need roster room and like the 15 class, it's fair value.

I'd need more.

Where are you guys ranking Kelce in leagues that don't have TE slots? (TE counts as WR)
I wouldn't roster him. All but the very top tier of TEs (for which read "Graham and Gronk") have little value in such leagues.

Delanie Walker finished TE12 last season with a line of 60 / 571 / 6; that's 153 points in PPR. But 36 WRs put up more than 153 points in that format last season. So a low-end TE1 is basically equivalent to a barely-startable WR3, and of course there's no guarantee Kelce's going to put up even low-end TE1 numbers this season.

Let others overpay for the "top" TEs like OJT, Cameron, Davis in such a format while you focus on picking up additional WRs to fill that slot with instead.
Some of those leagues have tiered PPR to boost TE's a little bit. If TE were say, 1.5 vs. 1 for WR, or even 1.25 vs 1, Kelce might make a decent deep bench stash.

I hear ya. But thinking you can get a 1 for him is not a reality. I can't even get a 1 for Ertz, who went early 2 in most drafts last year, and he seems to be viewed as a better shot at breaking out or if they both do, breaking out in a bigger way. That is why I am holding any 2nd year TE's I have right now and going to let the cards play out the first couple weeks of the season.
It's a problem right now that there are already a few potential breakout TE's - Green, Ertz, Eifert - and that doesn't even include the rookies.

This specific thinking falls victim to the sunk cost fallacy. The amount of time he has spent on your roster shouldn't matter. To an individual team, he is either worth more than a 2nd or not. And that answer can vary from team to team, but how he got there shouldn't matter for you.

What is Kelce going for in dynasty leagues now? I got an offer of a 3rd rounder for him that I will turn down, wondering how others view his value.
Hoyer and Kelce were dealt for McCown and Marvin Jones in a .5ppr dynasty today.

rickyg said:
Biabreakable said:
rickyg said:

He was injured during training camp but the MRI results at that time were negative. It took them a few more tests to find the actual damage that required the micro fracture surgery.

Rotoworld:

Travis Kelce played 15-of-39 preseason snaps with the first-team offense.

Most of the snaps came in two-tight end packages, with Anthony Fasano on the field. Still, it's encouraging usage for Kelce, who has been a standout throughout the preseason. He's also expected to see time in the slot this season. Kelce should be targeted in the late rounds of fantasy drafts as a high-upside TE2.

Source: Kansas City Star

Aug 29 - 5:44 PM

Kelce is the best overall receiver on the Chiefs - including overrated Bowe.

I am not concerned about whether he is a starter, I am concerned about his catches & yards.

With the inability of Alex Smith to play w/ his outside receivers, I expect Kelce to do very well this year and be a low tier TE1 - similar production to Vernon Davis.

Reid isnt a fool, he will keep him on the field as a playmaker, something the Chiefs are missing drastically.

I think that kelce has potential to be one of those late round draft picks that really pans out well and gives teams a lot of leeway regarding in season management. I have gronk, kelce, and Reed. (We can flex a te in my league). If Reed and/or kelce pan out things open up for me to trade gronk for a high end Rb or wr and still not miss much of a beat in my te position.

This is what I'm hoping for.

Rotoworld:

Travis Kelce - TE - Chiefs

ESPN's Adam Teicher has been told that Travis Kelce's big-play ability is one reason the Chiefs weren't more aggressive in pursuing wide receivers this offseason.

This suggests that Kelce will be a real part of the Week 1 gameplan even though his first-team snaps were limited in the preseason. Note that with Dwayne Bowe suspended for Week 1, the Chiefs' wideout depth chart reads Donnie Avery, Frankie Hammond, Junior Hemingway, Albert Wilson, A.J. Jenkins. Kelce, an exciting talent with eye-opening playmaking ability after the catch, is a prime TE2 target. We'll have a better read on his exact role after Week 1.

Source: ESPN.com

Aug 31 - 1:19 PM

Travis Kelce Could Be the Next Big Thing in the NFL

September 2, 2014

There was no one in front of Travis Kelce.

As the ball floated out of Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Chase Daniel’s hand and spiraled through the darkened Missouri sky, a buzz rose from the crowd at Arrowhead Stadium. Kelce caught the ball at his own 45-yard line, turned his head and saw nothing but fresh cut grass and orange pylons marking the Promised Land. The 6-foot-5, 250-pound tight end sped toward six points, galloping ahead of the smaller, seemingly more nimble Cincinnati Bengal defenders who appeared to be in awe that something so big could move so fast.

As he flipped into the end zone, slapped hands with his teammates and jogged back to the sideline, Kelce remembered a promise he’d made to running back Jamal Charles. He turned to the crowd behind the end zone, raised his right hand in the air and stuck his left arm out to the side. He then wiggled his hips while waving his right hand back and forth, celebrating his first NFL touchdown with a dance called the “Nae Nae.”

“I was too excited and too happy so I didn’t do (the dance) right away,” Kelce said. “I thought of it as I was running toward the sideline and was like ‘Aw man, I promised Jamal I’d do it.’ It was fun.”

The 2013 Kansas City Chiefs were an offensively revamped bunch. They hired former Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid to bring his offensive prowess to the Midwest. To replace the suddenly ineffective Mat Cassel, they brought in San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith, an above-average player who had lost his starting job to Colin Kaepernick. Then they drafted Elvis Fisher to shore up the offensive line, and Kelce, a tight end in the mold of Rob Gronkowski, to dominate the position for years to come. The Chiefs rocketed to a 9-0 start, then fell back to Earth, finishing the season at 11-5 and losing to the Indianapolis Colts in the first round of the playoffs after watching a 38-10 second-half lead disappear. But Kelce didn’t play a down.

When the Chiefs took Kelce 63rd overall in the 2013 NFL Draft, they were looking to shore up a tight end position that had been in flux since Tony Gonzalez’s departure in 2009. Kelce had no time to think about filling the shoes of a great TE. A mere week after the draft, he was flown from his hometown of Cleveland to Kansas City, and immediately got to work participating in rookie mini-camp and OTAs. There, he generated buzz with his speed and athleticism. When OTAs ended, Kelce used the remaining month before training camp to find an apartment, settling on a place downtown.

“I’m a city guy,” Kelce said. “I’m not used to the farmland and the outskirts. I’m used to staying close enough to where I can see business buildings and a variety of people.”

He didn’t know anyone in a state almost 12 hours from home. Learning the Chiefs intricate playbook occupied most of his time, but Kelce admits things were more solitary than he expected. But now he's settled in his new home. A childhood friend moved into his apartment after moving to Kansas City to take a job. He began hitting Bristol, a seafood joint, and Maker’s Mark on a consistent basis.

Then, just as training camp began and Kelce shone, his knee started to bother him.

“I didn’t know what it was—just thought it was normal football soreness or bruises, strains that go on during training camp that you have to push through,” Kelce said. “But it never got better.”

Kelce needed microfracture surgery, a procedure that has taken once-explosive athletes like Amare Stoudemire and Tracy McGrady and turned them into pedestrian athletes, robbed of the athletic gifts that made them superstars. It frightened Kelce.

“You read up on all this stuff and you’re like ‘Aw man, I hope this doesn’t happen to me,” Kelce said. “I was in the dumps there for a while, contemplating whether or not I was going to be able to play football at a high level again or become the player I knew I could be.”

So Kelce dedicated himself to rehab, staying in Kansas City to learn what it would take to make it through the full NFL season. He attended team meetings and kept the rest of his body as sculpted as it could be. Still, rehab proved to be a major mental block.

“All I know, and all I have fun with, is playing sports,” Kelce said. “I didn’t do anything but play sports 24/7, 365 days a year, my entire life. Not being able to run for four months, or even do anything athletic for about a good eight months was the most challenging thing I’ve ever done.”

Kelce finally began running again in July. It took time for his nerves to dissipate when he made a cut or changed directions quickly, but they did. Kelce likened it to climbing back on a bike after not having ridden in some time. His surgically repaired knee is not on his mind anymore. His physical challenges met, it was on to another hurdle: putting the playbook into action on the field.

“It was like reading Chinese when you first open it. You really have no idea what you’re doing,” Kelce said. Even as he memorized Reid’s language, hearing it on the field was something else entirely

Used to reading simple signals specifically meant for the tight end from the sideline at Cincinnati, Kelce likened his reaction to Reid’s playcalls, which could take five or six seconds to speak in the huddle, to a French major traveling to France and being shocked by how fast everyone spoke.

“What the terminology means, how it’s even going to sound in the huddle…,” Kelce trails off. “Half the time the quarterback says it so fast and it’s such a long play call that you don’t even catch all of it.” And if you can imagine, lining up with no semblance of what you’re supposed to do is not a pleasant feeling.

This preseason has put Kelce at ease. His surgery didn’t steal his athleticism, the playbook has become second nature, and the flashes of talent that he was unable to build upon last season have returned. He caught two touchdowns in four games this pre-season, a testament to his freakish combination of size and speed. His first score, the aforementioned catch and run against the Cincinnati Bengals, showed off his speed. The second—where he caught a ball over the middle and ran into the end zone dragging a Carolina Panthers defender behind him like he was a tow truck—showcased his size and pure power.

Kelce's name is suddenly popping up on major sports blogs, the NFL is tweeting about him, and several articles have hyped his fantasy football value. Though he’s still listed at no. 2 on the depth chart, many in the NFL feel starting tight end Anthony Fasano is just a placeholder until Kelce is ready to play full time.

Kelce tries not to pay attention to the media coverage. He’s more excited about the fact that he can keep up with the big boys. “It’s a testament to myself to know that I can still get up and run fast and separate from defenders, regarding the knee injury,” he said. “I know I’m in the NFL, I know I deserve to be here. I put in a lot of work through college and the year that I’ve been here.”

With Charles challenging him to get funky with it in the end zone, Kelce appears to be fitting in quite nicely in the locker room. His impact on the field remains to be seen. Two games is no way to judge a player. But Kelce’s freakish skill set has him on a path to becoming Kansas City’s next great tight end. We hope to see more dance moves in the future.

cstu said:
Anyone else starting Kelce week 1 with Bowe out?
Guy in my league drafted Kelce and has no backup. So looks like he's on your bandwagon. :thumbup:
i drafted him in my work league and backed him up with ladarius green. if kelce doesn't emerge quickly, may have to make a trade. green imo will emerge as season progresses and gates slows down but not right away

Man this thread is gonna blow up on sunday.
Blow up in the hand grenade type of way referring to people starting him week 1 or blow up in the way that everyone is going to be talking about Kelce after week 1?

I'm not crazy enough to start him anywhere week 1, but I do own him as a backup in a few places so obviously would prefer the latter.

I own him in every league im in. Didn't even occur to me to start him in week 1 in his first ever nfl action.

But this thread is giving me pause. Right now my flex choices are Moreno, Justin hunter, James jones, Markus Wheaton, or Ingram. B

Is kelce really that much more of a risk, given Bowes suspension and the dearth of wr talent in the chiefs? And against a titans defense that had trouble covering the tight ends last season?

Hmmmm

Blow up with posts from dudes brave enough to start him and blow up from dudes wishing they started him.
What makes you draw this conclusion?

I onow a lot of people got really excited about that play in pre-season but what is it about how the Chiefs operate that makes you think this because I don't see it. Alex Smith, IMO, is not going to be feeding seam passes down the middle of the field and on comeback crossing routes consistently enough to give Kelce the consistency he needs to emerge as an every week guy. With the way they use Charles, it's more like "hand it to Charles or watch which way Charles fans out and then go his way or go down the field on the Charles side. But I don't see these over and over scenarios where they flow out one way, set up everything to be pulled out INTO the middle of the field (the same way Charles is moving) and then sending it down that area.

Anyway, that's my take. What say you on why it will be the other way? How is he going to be used to support it?

Projections I see are 3 catches for around 30 yards. I wish the experts were more enthusiastic about his chances

Blow up with posts from dudes brave enough to start him and blow up from dudes wishing they started him.

I onow a lot of people got really excited about that play in pre-season but what is it about how the Chiefs operate that makes you think this because I don't see it. Alex Smith, IMO, is not going to be feeding seam passes down the middle of the field and on comeback crossing routes consistently enough to give Kelce the consistency he needs to emerge as an every week guy. With the way they use Charles, it's more like "hand it to Charles or watch which way Charles fans out and then go his way or go down the field on the Charles side. But I don't see these over and over scenarios where they flow out one way, set up everything to be pulled out INTO the middle of the field (the same way Charles is moving) and then sending it down that area.

Anyway, that's my take. What say you on why it will be the other way? How is he going to be used to support it?
What you say makes sense, but who are they going to throw it to? Charles will definitely get his, but Bowe is out and McCluster is gone. Donnie Avery? Frankie Hammond? Mark Harrison? Junior Hemmingway? I think this is as much about opportunity - for me at least. If healthy, he could catch a lot of balls this year.

Projections I see are 3 catches for around 30 yards. I wish the experts were more enthusiastic about his chances
Most of them don't know anymore more than you do. This is a pretty good situation for him if you need to take a flyer this week; I don't think you need to know more than that.

Smith threw 34 passes a game last year and those all can't go to Charles.

Last edited by a moderator:
My TE situation was shaping up to be a disaster in an auction, so I chose to go with the upside potential tandem of Kelce and L. Green. Starting Kelce this week and will hope for the best given the situation the KC offense finds itself in.

I took Kelce in the 7th round of a 5-player keeper league with Witten as my TE1. If Kelce blows up I can probably trade Witten to one of three owners who could use the upgrade...as long as Witten plays up to his usual standards.

Users who are viewing this thread