What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (4 Viewers)

He is not liked, for that he has not got a chance. For that he gets hated at on the internet, rightfully so.

But this is football, I do not care about what he does off the field short of criminal activity.

I just wanted to see him get a real chance to show what he can do over a length of a season.

He did not deserve to lose his starting gig because of a video that shows him singing and dancing or because he loves to party.

Haters will hate, as this thread shows. But I like football and I like to see football players get a chance if they have talent and he has some.

He is the only reason anyone talks about the Browns.
You know you have completely and totally lost the argument when you trot this out

When you're sitting there on Thanksgiving night watching Brett Favre being inducted into the Packer's HoF think about some of the stuff that guy was probably doing throughout his career. And he was married. He's being given the teams highest honor, on a holiday no less when the whole country will be watching. Then think about Manziel being publicly vilified for holding a bottle, lip syncing to some rap in a bar and losing his job and maybe his career. Doesn't seem fair.
But he was good. Manziel isn't. This is so much simpler than you're trying to make it. Manziel is a huge distraction. He gets in a fight with his girlfriend and they're fighting so nastily that they have to pull the car over or they'll crash it. It's all over the news. A blackeye for the Browns and more nonsense Manziel has to deal with that isn't helping him read defenses or learn the offense. And now, when he's told to lay low and stay out of the news over the bye week, he's out boozing it up, after he supposedly went to rehab to break that habit. If he wasn't one of the worst QBs in the league, the Browns might look the other way. Or give it more time. If he was one tenth the QB Favre was, they'd probably buy his booze for him.

Is this a generational thing? Are the guys on here who think Johnny got treated unfairly, are you guys young guys? Because I am a old geezer and Johnny got demoted because he didn't follow the rules: Rule one, perform well on the field. If you can't do rule one, at least do Rule two, listen to coaches and management. if you can't do rule one or rule two, and are a first round draft pick, you get demoted to third string to see if you can figure out Rules one and two. If you are not a first round draft pick, you get cut (see Ryan Mallett).

There is no moral policing going on by the Browns. They are just following the rules.

When you're sitting there on Thanksgiving night watching Brett Favre being inducted into the Packer's HoF think about some of the stuff that guy was probably doing throughout his career. And he was married. He's being given the teams highest honor, on a holiday no less when the whole country will be watching. Then think about Manziel being publicly vilified for holding a bottle, lip syncing to some rap in a bar and losing his job and maybe his career. Doesn't seem fair.
Maybe when Manziel wins 3 MVP awards, goes to 11 Pro Bowls, gets to 2 SBs with one win, becomes as durable and dependable as a QB as Favre has, starts setting NFL records, etc. he gets more leeway?

Seriously, I get your point that the NFL approaches this so spectacularly unevenly and unintelligibly in terms of which infractions get which kinds of punishment.

But if the general trend in the NFL is to stop shielding athletes from the consequences and ramifications from the moronic actions that the rest of us mortals would be in much hotter water over, fine with me. In Manziel's case, the Browns have invested quite a lot in keeping him on the straight and narrow, and he still goes out and does this?

I don't think my boss would be so lenient as to retain my pay grade and position and send me for all expenses paid rehab only to have me show up at the office Xmas party loaded and puking on Doris from accounting.

Life is not fair and I am not sure what point you are trying to make bringing Farve into this?
I think the point is if social media was around half of our best players would not have had a chance to be the best because they may not have been in the league.

What was Favres favorite pill? Dont answer that, he threw for 300 and 3, so it was OK.

Who did he send package picks to? Wait dont answer that, he threw for 300 and 3, so no one cares.

Ironic, once social media and technology came around it started to leak what Favre was about.

Would Namath of made it past year one if social media was around in his time?

Maybe Johnny can have success or maybe he wont, but he needs a real chance.

You really think Favre didn't know his reads or didn't put in the work or let his addictions get in the way of what he was doing on the field? It's not a moral thing. John Manziell cannot drink and quarterback. Can't do it. He maybe can do it for a game or two or more but eventually his problem will catch up with him on the field. I guarantee you the Browns know this has been affecting what he does for a living.
I think the jury is still out. He's in a 2nd season on a team not exactly loaded with premiere skill players. For sure he hasn't been the model professional when it comes to preparation but he's also being held to a standard that almost nobody ever has. Everywhere he goes he's on camera and he has a head coach who fancies himself to be a Belichick type disciplinarian. Yes, his attitude needed adjusting coming into the league but the punishment doesn't fit the crime in this case. It's like a grounding a kid for a year because he's 5 minutes late for curfew. Yes, he's a knucklehead but a lot of young guys are.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is not liked, for that he has not got a chance. For that he gets hated at on the internet, rightfully so.

But this is football, I do not care about what he does off the field short of criminal activity.

I just wanted to see him get a real chance to show what he can do over a length of a season.

He did not deserve to lose his starting gig because of a video that shows him singing and dancing or because he loves to party.

Haters will hate, as this thread shows. But I like football and I like to see football players get a chance if they have talent and he has some.

You know you have completely and totally lost the argument when you trot this out
No, its stating the obvious. I'm not caring about winning an argument, I do not care about that sort of thing or vilifying a kid like JFF for being a kid.

Life is not fair and I am not sure what point you are trying to make bringing Farve into this?
I think the point is if social media was around half of our best players would not have had a chance to be the best because they may not have been in the league.

What was Favres favorite pill? Dont answer that, he threw for 300 and 3, so it was OK.

Who did he send package picks to? Wait dont answer that, he threw for 300 and 3, so no one cares.

Ironic, once social media and technology came around it started to leak what Favre was about.

Good points, but to me, seems like Manziel consistently keeps blowing his chances. At what point do you draw the line and say, "You know? Life's too short and I'm sick of having to deal with this clown."

If you really think that's all there is to the story then you still don't get it.

gotta think his debut against Cincy last year was a culmination of his attitude, drinking, partying and general lack of commitment to the pro game and what it takes to be successful at the pro level.
:goodposting:

This guy gets it.

Now we are blaming social media. This keeps getting better and better.

It's a different time and age, you're right. So Manziel needs to give himself that chance and quit being such a dumb ####. I've been pulling for him, but it's clear he's a half-brain with no clue about what being a professional is about. The Browns are making the correct call here. Johnny pulled the plug on himself.

Manziel isn't a kid anymore. And he's still acting like a wholly unlikable entitled db. The same one who use to flash his parents money at people.

No, its stating the obvious. I'm not caring about winning an argument, I do not care about that sort of thing or vilifying a kid like JFF for being a kid.
He is not a kid.

He is a qb that was drafted in the first round. Once you start thinking of him like that work backwards then it all makes sense.

Maybe when Manziel wins 3 MVP awards, goes to 11 Pro Bowls, gets to 2 SBs with one win, becomes as durable and dependable as a QB as Favre has, starts setting NFL records, etc. he gets more leeway?

Seriously, I get your point that the NFL approaches this so spectacularly unevenly and unintelligibly in terms of which infractions get which kinds of punishment.

But if the general trend in the NFL is to stop shielding athletes from the consequences and ramifications from the moronic actions that the rest of us mortals would be in much hotter water over, fine with me. In Manziel's case, the Browns have invested quite a lot in keeping him on the straight and narrow, and he still goes out and does this?

I don't think my boss would be so lenient as to retain my pay grade and position and send me for all expenses paid rehab only to have me show up at the office Xmas party loaded and puking on Doris from accounting.
Goes out and does what? What did he do?

Obviously he's lacking in the resume department when compared to an all-time great but I don't think it's exactly helping his development to pull the rug out from under him every time someone posts a video they took with their phone on youtube.

To me it's not what he was doing it's what he wasn't doing. They don't lock the facility on bye weeks, I don't think. I don't think the CBA specifies that you can't work on your game during your bye week. You've got a chance to maybe get the jump on your next opponent. You're a starting quarterback in the NFL. Who's good at that job without working hard.

If you really think that's all there is to the story then you still don't get it.

gotta think his debut against Cincy last year was a culmination of his attitude, drinking, partying and general lack of commitment to the pro game and what it takes to be successful at the pro level.
:goodposting:

This guy gets it.
To show how people can see things differently. To think you understand everything involved because of what you read on the internet says you do not get it.

Obviously he's lacking in the resume department when compared to an all-time great but I don't think it's exactly helping his development to pull the rug out from under him every time someone posts a video they took with their phone on youtube.
:::sigh::: since I know you are not trolling

He is an addict that flew to TX to go bar hopping after he was named the starter and more importantly, follow me here, more importantly he did all of those things after management told him to lay low. If you cannot wrap your head around that then you probably should exit the thread and hop over to the crock pot recipe thread or something a bit less complicated.

When he team gave him a free pass about the roadside fight, it was with the caveat that he was to concentrate on football and stay out of the bars and the news. They named him the starter even though McCown was having a better year. They handed the job to him on a silver platter and all he had to do was act like an adult over the bye week. He failed. He looks like a college freshman in that video. Or a high schooler at a prom afterparty. Manziel is what he is. He's not changing. And he'll still have the family money once he blows through his only Browns contract.

You do know he is about to be 23, he can drive a car, he can vote, he can legally drink, and he has entered the working world. You do know he is not a kid anymore, right?

He is not a kid.

He is a qb that was drafted in the first round. Once you start thinking of him like that work backwards then it all makes sense.
How mature were you at 21? Acting as if being in the NFL means you are mature means you have not seen the same NFL as I over the past few years.

He is not a kid.

How mature were you at 21? Acting as if being in the NFL means you are mature means you have not seen the same NFL as I over the past few years.
And an NFL franchise just decided that they don't want an immature 23 year old leading their team for the rest of the season, because of that immaturity. Dumbfounding how you can fault them in that decision.

He is not a kid.He is a qb that was drafted in the first round. Once you start thinking of him like that work backwards then it all makes sense.
First, hes 23. Second, just because there are other numb sculls doing stupid things in the NFL doesn't mean JF should be exempt from consequences when he does them.

And you think it's good for his development that, after going through extensive and lengthy rehab, that he should be out partying and swigging champagne?

He is pulling the rug from underneath himself by not committing to being focused and avoiding the kind of behavior that clearly leads to him getting in trouble, legally and otherwise.

You do know he is about to be 23, he can drive a car, he can vote, he can legally drink, and he has entered the working world. You do know he is not a kid anymore, right?
What were you doing at 22?

Peoples expectations of people who play a violent game for our amusement is amazing.

I am trying to follow the logic here of what other 22-23 year olds are doing in regards to this? Then again I am still trying to figure out how Brett Farve fits in here.

There was no bigger bonehead coming out of college than Jameis Winston. Stealing crablegs, jumping up on cafeteria tables and shouting profanities. Being inappropriate with women in the dorm rooms....Just a total idiot.

But to his credit, he has stayed out of the news since the season started. I've seen reports saying he's the hardest working player they've ever been around. I didn't like him coming out of college. Thought he'd screw it up and compared him to Jamarcus Russell. But so far, he's proved me wrong. Both in talent and character. And he's younger than Manziel.

He is an addict that flew to TX to go bar hopping after he was named the starter and more importantly, follow me here, more importantly he did all of those things after management told him to lay low. If you cannot wrap your head around that then you probably should exit the thread and hop over to the crock pot recipe thread or something a bit less complicated.
He's a 22 year old famous guy with money to burn on his bye-week. He's doing nothing that 99% of the other guys wouldn't do. How about the team just treats him like an adult and say if you screw up you're outta here and follow through. They've been waffling with the guy. Some times he gets a pass, some times no. Pettine loves him one week and is frustrated the next. And you have no idea what makes the guy tick to call him an "addict". You have no idea what management did or did not tell him. How about the organization deserves some blame here? This is a franchise that fired Mike Lombardi, the guy who had the forethought to deal Trent Richardson for a first round pick and who wanted to deal Josh Gordon but was overruled. Do you think Lombardi would have gone anywhere near this guy in the draft? This current regime drafted this guy and have bungled along with him since then.

There was no bigger bonehead coming out of college than Jameis Winston. Stealing crablegs, jumping up on cafeteria tables and shouting profanities. Being inappropriate with women in the dorm rooms....Just a total idiot.

But to his credit, he has stayed out of the news since the season started. I've seen reports saying he's the hardest working player they've ever been around. I didn't like him coming out of college. Thought he'd screw it up and compared him to Jamarcus Russell. But so far, he's proved me wrong. Both in talent and character. And he's younger than Manziel.
This post should close the thread.

What were you doing at 22?

Peoples expectations of people who play a violent game for our amusement is amazing.
You mean like the expectations of the Clev coaches, personal and owner?He's an employee of theirs and blatantly disregarded their request. A simply request. He was essentially bracing for the most important job interview of his life to date. They were giving him a shot to prove he was the guy capable of leading their team in the future. he blew it by not meeting THEIR expectations. All this stuff we say and our opinions are meaningless.

No, he is just playing better. So you dont hear about his lawsuit that much and the media has no reason to attack him like JFF yet.

Basically this says you judge a guy based off the news.

He's a 22 year old famous guy with money to burn on his bye-week. He's doing nothing that 99% of the other guys wouldn't do. How about the team just treats him like an adult and say if you screw up you're outta here and follow through. They've been waffling with the guy. Some times he gets a pass, some times no. Pettine loves him one week and is frustrated the next. And you have no idea what makes the guy tick to call him an "addict". You have no idea what management did or did not tell him. How about the organization deserves some blame here? This is a franchise that fired Mike Lombardi, the guy who had the forethought to deal Trent Richardson for a first round pick and who wanted to deal Josh Gordon but was overruled. Do you think Lombardi would have gone anywhere near this guy in the draft? This current regime drafted this guy and have bungled along with him since then.
In a thread full of moronic posts this one just sky rockets to the top.

No, he is just playing better. So you dont hear about his lawsuit that much and the media has no reason to attack him like JFF yet.

Basically this says you judge a guy based off the news.
:lmao: You can't be serious.

Manziel does not deserve any defending. If you can not see he is an idiot than you need to grow up yourself. This isn't some part time job he has during college. This is a profession and should be treated that way. He is not just representing himself but the organization he is with and the league he plays in. If he wants to just party then quit and party all you want, just quit taking away from from your team.

I use to party all the time back in college and would show up to work hungover or just not show up. It made me look terrible but I didn't care because I was just a young college guy. Then one day college is over and you have to rely on a job and in order to get a good job you need to have a good resume and in order to have a good resume you need to have a good reputation. Johnny is done with college, it's time to be an adult.

Why do you have to insult people and name call? He was just sharing his thought. Maybe some feel that way about your posts.

And you think it's good for his development that, after going through extensive and lengthy rehab, that he should be out partying and swigging champagne?

He is pulling the rug from underneath himself by not committing to being focused and avoiding the kind of behavior that clearly leads to him getting in trouble, legally and otherwise.
Extensive and lengthy rehab? Wasn't it an obvious PR move orchestrated by his people and the team to salvage his image and thus his career? He was pulled over last month and admitted to drinking earlier in the day, the Browns let him start after that. A lot of guys on the internet who never played pro football know an awful lot about what it takes to make it in the nfl. I'm no Manziel fan. I think the guy is a knucklehead but we've reached a point of insanity with the way we judge pro athletes. What's wrong with a guy just being who he is? Does every athlete have to be a complete, image-obsessed phony like Manning or Brady in order to gain the world's approval?

Manziel does not deserve any defending. If you can not see he is an idiot than you need to grow up yourself. This isn't some part time job he has during college. This is a profession and should be treated that way. He is not just representing himself but the organization he is with and the league he plays in. If he wants to just party then quit and party all you want, just quit taking away from from your team.

I use to party all the time back in college and would show up to work hungover or just not show up. It made me look terrible but I didn't care because I was just a young college guy. Then one day college is over and you have to rely on a job and in order to get a good job you need to have a good resume and in order to have a good resume you need to have a good reputation. Johnny is done with college, it's time to be an adult.
So I and others who think he got short ended here need to grow up because I just want to watch a football player play football and because I dont care about what he does in his bye week or spare time?

Man 22/23 year olds are still in college by the way, I didnt graduate with my BA in college until I was 26.

Why do you have to insult people and name call? He was just sharing his thought. Maybe some feel that way about your posts.
Maybe?

How about the team just treats him like an adult and say if you screw up you're outta here and follow through.
Sorry, thought that was what the team is actually doing right now.

:shrug:
All they did is move him to 3rd string for this week.
We're down to semantics now? He screwed up and lost his starting job. To me, that certainly equates to following through and telling him "You're outta here." How long that demotion is, how Johnny responds, etc. is all to be seen, but you can't see this demotion as anything else but the Browns following through and saying shape up or be shipped out.

Users who are viewing this thread