What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel completed 16 of 41 attempts for 224 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions in a 34-10 loss to LSU.
Manziel wasn't helped by a few drops, but he also missed a handful of open targets. LSU mush rush kept Manziel from picking up huge gains and forced the quarterback to drop his eyes frequently. The Aggie did rush for 54 yards, however. We don't care about the metric, but the only two games that Manziel has registered a quarterback rating under 100 in his career have both been against LSU.

Rotoworld:

After spending a few weeks talking with "NFL types," the Dallas Morning News' Rick Gosselin is convinced Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel will be a top-12 pick.

Gosselin is unable to devote as much time to the NFL draft in recent years, but few are more respected in terms of covering the event. "Too many teams need one. NFL scouts will go all the way back to high school in their research," Gosselin writes. "They will find a dynamic winner who can make plays with his arm or legs and also makes the players around him better." We think Manziel ultimately ends up in the first-round, especially if specific underclassmen return for the 2014 season.

Source: Dallas Morning News
Johnny Manziel to be top-12 pick, scouts tell columnist

Last edited by a moderator:
He is going to make a splash in the NFL, he went toe to toe with the biggest teams in the country and held his own and even more so at times. I think whoever gets him if they can let him watch for even the 1st 4-5 games from the sidelines and ease him into the game I think he could do some special things in the NFL.

He is going to make a splash in the NFL, he went to to toe with the biggest teams in the country and held his own and even more so at times. I think whoever gets him if they can let him watch for even the 1st 45 games from the sidelines and ease him into the game I think he could do some special things in the NFL.
That's a long wait. :mellow:

He is going to make a splash in the NFL, he went to to toe with the biggest teams in the country and held his own and even more so at times. I think whoever gets him if they can let him watch for even the 1st 45 games from the sidelines and ease him into the game I think he could do some special things in the NFL.
hes smaller than vick

hes smaller than vick
If he takes the same kind of hits as Vick and RGIII then I worry about him long term as well.

hes smaller than vick
If he takes the same kind of hits as Vick and RGIII then I worry about him long term as well.
Funny you say that, the way he scrambles reminds me of rg3. The upright style with the lunging at the end

As a lifelong A&M fan I couldn't bring myself to draft Johnny, I think he gets overwhelmed by the NFL.
Like he should be overwhelmed in the toughest conference in all of football? I think we're dismissing this kid way too fast in here. He has some of that "it" factor and reminds me a little bit of Tim Tebow where he is polarizing to different fans and you gotta take a step back to see what you are really looking at. I see skills here, I think he has a solid arm, great instincts on the field as plays are falling apart around him, I think if he has time to learn for even half a season before being pushed on to the field, I think his game can develop and I believe an NFL team will take a shot, the investment now is not what it was 2-3 years ago. Roll the dice!

As a lifelong A&M fan I couldn't bring myself to draft Johnny, I think he gets overwhelmed by the NFL.
Like he should be overwhelmed in the toughest conference in all of football? I think we're dismissing this kid way too fast in here. He has some of that "it" factor and reminds me a little bit of Tim Tebow where he is polarizing to different fans and you gotta take a step back to see what you are really looking at. I see skills here, I think he has a solid arm, great instincts on the field as plays are falling apart around him, I think if he has time to learn for even half a season before being pushed on to the field, I think his game can develop and I believe an NFL team will take a shot, the investment now is not what it was 2-3 years ago. Roll the dice!
he is 6ft 200lbs

Andy Dufresne said:
Then I think you suffer from confirmation bias. :shrug:

Then again, maybe so do I.
We'll find out. :shrug:

I want to say I don't want him to be bad. I don't root against A&M. I didn't go into this hoping this doesn't work out.

In the article posted by Faust above, Gosselin said after talking to league sources, he expects him to go top 12.

Maybe that is what some sources said, that aren't necessarily on teams that need a QB, we will see about the ones that do (JAX, HOU, MIN, CLE, maybe TB and OAK?).

Mariota not declaring does change the landscape.

It will be interesting to see if Hundley declares, raw, but ton of ability. Carr will be an option.

I do put a lot of stock in Gosselin. He no longer does it, but many on the board probably remember he had a reputation for having the most accurate mocks (always came out 2-3 days before draft?)... he admitted he didn't scout himself... but he seemed to have the most well informed (candid? :) ) network of well placed league insiders and sources, between front office, coaches and scouting departments.

if he goes punk kid doing stupid stuff after winning the Heisman, imagine all the trouble he'll get into with a huge NFL Contract and $$$$$$$$

if he goes punk kid doing stupid stuff after winning the Heisman, imagine all the trouble he'll get into with a huge NFL Contract and $$$$$$$$
Im actually worried less about that than some other things....his family is already loaded and he can go do whatever he wants anyway. Im more worried about his size and whether or not he will learn to avoid crushing hits because he likes to run and fight to make big plays. If he doesnt he will end up as an exciting but injury prone athlete playing the position much like Vick.

Andy Dufresne said:
He's not a running QB. He's a QB that runs.
He's a QB that runs that mostly makes plays outside the pocket and on broken plays chucking it up to a 6'5" WR who overpowers smaller DBs.

Andy Dufresne said:
He's a QB that runs that mostly makes plays outside the pocket and on broken plays chucking it up to a 6'5" WR who overpowers smaller DBs.
There's legit concerns...and then there's this nonsense.

There are four guys on his team with 40+ catches.

Andy Dufresne said:

Mike Evans' best two games were vs Alabama and Auburn and Texas A&M still lost. If Evans isn't on that team, they have no chance.

Andy Dufresne said:

Mike Evans' best two games were vs Alabama and Auburn and Texas A&M still lost. If Evans isn't on that team, they have no chance.
What does that have to do with Manziel? Evans is great, no doubt. But it's not him alone making Manziel great.

He doesn't run the offense, his decision making is subpar, he won't stay in the pocket, he has a small frame besides being short, the defense most similar to an NFL defense with NFL speed off the edge has whipped him 2 years in a row.

He has a bad ankle, separated should and fractured thumb right now which is why he's looked pedestrian the last 2 games. If he's that banged up now it could get ugly next year.

Andy Dufresne said:

What does that have to do with Manziel? Evans is great, no doubt. But it's not him alone making Manziel great.
matt ryan is 3-9 and didn't look as good without julio jones and roddy white. weird, huh?

He doesn't run the offense, his decision making is subpar, he won't stay in the pocket, he has a small frame besides being short, the defense most similar to an NFL defense with NFL speed off the edge has whipped him 2 years in a row.

He has a bad ankle, separated should and fractured thumb right now which is why he's looked pedestrian the last 2 games. If he's that banged up now it could get ugly next year.
Excellent decision making and stays in the pocket until it breaks down. I've been defending him on here since last year. People that don't like him never will. People like me see the good in his play and probably won't change. Andy brings up some great points and clearly watches his games. I've watched every single play since the Bama game last year. This season he is a completely different player. His numbers are better this year. Everyone said Bama was the closest NFL defense he would face and has torched them twice. Now all of the sudden LSU is the closest comparison to an NFL defense, why because they played JFF good 2 years in a row? Most teams in the SEC have great defenses and LSU is the only one to stop him.

Andy Dufresne said:

That's like saying Calvin Johnson alone doesn't make Stafford great. Andre Johnson doesn't make Case Keenum great. AJ Green doesn't make Andy Dalton great. Vincent Jackson doesn't make Mike Glennon great.

Andy Dufresne said:

That's like saying Calvin Johnson alone doesn't make Stafford great. Andre Johnson doesn't make Case Keenum great. AJ Green doesn't make Andy Dalton great. Vincent Jackson doesn't make Mike Glennon great.
I honestly can't tell which side you are arguing for here.

Andy Dufresne said:
There's legit concerns...and then there's this nonsense.There are four guys on his team with 40+ catches.
I honestly can't tell which side you are arguing for here.
Sarcasm.

Rotoworld:

Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel told reporters he is ready for the NFL, but will consult with his family before making a decision about his future.

"More than anything, are you ready for the next level? You don’t want to go be unprepared for the National Football League or leave two years on the table," Manziel said. "In the grand scheme, it all comes down to making the best decision for you." It would be a shock if Manziel did not declare for the draft, Texas A&M faces Duke on Dec. 31. He threw for 33 touchdowns and 13 interceptions this season.

Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel did not place himself in the No. 1 or No. 2 spot on his own Heisman ballot.

Manziel did not reveal his ballot but did admit as much. All former Heisman winners are eligible to vote for the prestigious award, even if they are still in college. Manziel has a shot to end up in second or third place for the award.

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah believes Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel is "the most creative quarterback playmaker" he has scouted in 10 years.

"You talk about instincts and playmaking ability -- I've never evaluated anybody at the quarterback position better in those factors," Jeremiah said while appearing on a Fox Sports podcast. The former NFL scout polled numerous evaluators that all said they would take Manziel in critical, single play situations among all draft-eligible quarterbacks.

Source: Fox Sports

Users who are viewing this thread