What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (4 Viewers)

When you're sitting there on Thanksgiving night watching Brett Favre being inducted into the Packer's HoF think about some of the stuff that guy was probably doing throughout his career. And he was married. He's being given the teams highest honor, on a holiday no less when the whole country will be watching. Then think about Manziel being publicly vilified for holding a bottle, lip syncing to some rap in a bar and losing his job and maybe his career. Doesn't seem fair.
Maybe when Manziel wins 3 MVP awards, goes to 11 Pro Bowls, gets to 2 SBs with one win, becomes as durable and dependable as a QB as Favre has, starts setting NFL records, etc. he gets more leeway?

Seriously, I get your point that the NFL approaches this so spectacularly unevenly and unintelligibly in terms of which infractions get which kinds of punishment.

But if the general trend in the NFL is to stop shielding athletes from the consequences and ramifications from the moronic actions that the rest of us mortals would be in much hotter water over, fine with me. In Manziel's case, the Browns have invested quite a lot in keeping him on the straight and narrow, and he still goes out and does this?

I don't think my boss would be so lenient as to retain my pay grade and position and send me for all expenses paid rehab only to have me show up at the office Xmas party loaded and puking on Doris from accounting.
Goes out and does what? What did he do?

Obviously he's lacking in the resume department when compared to an all-time great but I don't think it's exactly helping his development to pull the rug out from under him every time someone posts a video they took with their phone on youtube.
And you think it's good for his development that, after going through extensive and lengthy rehab, that he should be out partying and swigging champagne?

He is pulling the rug from underneath himself by not committing to being focused and avoiding the kind of behavior that clearly leads to him getting in trouble, legally and otherwise.
Extensive and lengthy rehab? Wasn't it an obvious PR move orchestrated by his people and the team to salvage his image and thus his career? He was pulled over last month and admitted to drinking earlier in the day, the Browns let him start after that. A lot of guys on the internet who never played pro football know an awful lot about what it takes to make it in the nfl. I'm no Manziel fan. I think the guy is a knucklehead but we've reached a point of insanity with the way we judge pro athletes. What's wrong with a guy just being who he is? Does every athlete have to be a complete, image-obsessed phony like Manning or Brady in order to gain the world's approval?
This thread is off the rails. There's nothing wrong with Manziel being who he is. Just as there's nothing wrong with the Browns deciding that Manziel being who he is means that he won't be who he is as their starting QB.

Manziel does not deserve any defending. If you can not see he is an idiot than you need to grow up yourself. This isn't some part time job he has during college. This is a profession and should be treated that way. He is not just representing himself but the organization he is with and the league he plays in. If he wants to just party then quit and party all you want, just quit taking away from from your team.

I use to party all the time back in college and would show up to work hungover or just not show up. It made me look terrible but I didn't care because I was just a young college guy. Then one day college is over and you have to rely on a job and in order to get a good job you need to have a good resume and in order to have a good resume you need to have a good reputation. Johnny is done with college, it's time to be an adult.
So I and others who think he got short ended here need to grow up because I just want to watch a football player play football and because I dont care about what he does in his bye week or spare time?

Man 22/23 year olds are still in college by the way, I didnt graduate with my BA in college until I was 26.
So just because you want to watch football means we should just disregard everything players do off the field so we can be entertained? The NFL is still a business and it's players should be handled like they are working for a business.

I didn't mean to call out ALL college students but I think I got my point across. I would hope that a student that is going for his BA can understand the point I am trying to prove.

When you're sitting there on Thanksgiving night watching Brett Favre being inducted into the Packer's HoF think about some of the stuff that guy was probably doing throughout his career. And he was married. He's being given the teams highest honor, on a holiday no less when the whole country will be watching. Then think about Manziel being publicly vilified for holding a bottle, lip syncing to some rap in a bar and losing his job and maybe his career. Doesn't seem fair.
Life is not fair and I am not sure what point you are trying to make bringing Farve into this?
I think the point is if social media was around half of our best players would not have had a chance to be the best because they may not have been in the league.

What was Favres favorite pill? Dont answer that, he threw for 300 and 3, so it was OK.

Who did he send package picks to? Wait dont answer that, he threw for 300 and 3, so no one cares.

Ironic, once social media and technology came around it started to leak what Favre was about.

Would Namath of made it past year one if social media was around in his time?

Maybe Johnny can have success or maybe he wont, but he needs a real chance.
What do you know about Namath? One of the greatest QBs of all time and yet he played in 3 playoff games in 13 seasons. In the SB, his greatest victory, he didn't throw a pass in the 4th quarter. Next season with a championship quality team he threw 3 picks and 0 TDs, he went 14/40/169/0/3, 17.6 QBR, and lost his only playoff game. Apparently the year before he was lucky to even make the SB because by first hand accounts he was out getting loaded in Manhattan the night before the playoff game. He ended up with a good game late (3 TDs) but he also went 14/49 and barely won 27-23. Alcoholism might have ruined his career. There is no telling what Namath could have done, but in the end he had a career 173/220 TD/INT ratio and had one short glorious run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Manziel does not deserve any defending. If you can not see he is an idiot than you need to grow up yourself. This isn't some part time job he has during college. This is a profession and should be treated that way. He is not just representing himself but the organization he is with and the league he plays in. If he wants to just party then quit and party all you want, just quit taking away from from your team.

I use to party all the time back in college and would show up to work hungover or just not show up. It made me look terrible but I didn't care because I was just a young college guy. Then one day college is over and you have to rely on a job and in order to get a good job you need to have a good resume and in order to have a good resume you need to have a good reputation. Johnny is done with college, it's time to be an adult.
So I and others who think he got short ended here need to grow up because I just want to watch a football player play football and because I dont care about what he does in his bye week or spare time?

Man 22/23 year olds are still in college by the way, I didnt graduate with my BA in college until I was 26.
You're not the one footing the bill on Manziel's salary. If you were, you could watch him play all you wanted. The one's who are paying him money are clearly, and rightfully, displeased with his actions and how seriously he's taking his job.

And your last sentence may be the least surprising disclaimer in FBG history.

Maybe when Manziel wins 3 MVP awards, goes to 11 Pro Bowls, gets to 2 SBs with one win, becomes as durable and dependable as a QB as Favre has, starts setting NFL records, etc. he gets more leeway?

Seriously, I get your point that the NFL approaches this so spectacularly unevenly and unintelligibly in terms of which infractions get which kinds of punishment.

But if the general trend in the NFL is to stop shielding athletes from the consequences and ramifications from the moronic actions that the rest of us mortals would be in much hotter water over, fine with me. In Manziel's case, the Browns have invested quite a lot in keeping him on the straight and narrow, and he still goes out and does this?

I don't think my boss would be so lenient as to retain my pay grade and position and send me for all expenses paid rehab only to have me show up at the office Xmas party loaded and puking on Doris from accounting.
Goes out and does what? What did he do?

Obviously he's lacking in the resume department when compared to an all-time great but I don't think it's exactly helping his development to pull the rug out from under him every time someone posts a video they took with their phone on youtube.
And you think it's good for his development that, after going through extensive and lengthy rehab, that he should be out partying and swigging champagne?

He is pulling the rug from underneath himself by not committing to being focused and avoiding the kind of behavior that clearly leads to him getting in trouble, legally and otherwise.
Extensive and lengthy rehab? Wasn't it an obvious PR move orchestrated by his people and the team to salvage his image and thus his career? He was pulled over last month and admitted to drinking earlier in the day, the Browns let him start after that. A lot of guys on the internet who never played pro football know an awful lot about what it takes to make it in the nfl. I'm no Manziel fan. I think the guy is a knucklehead but we've reached a point of insanity with the way we judge pro athletes. What's wrong with a guy just being who he is? Does every athlete have to be a complete, image-obsessed phony like Manning or Brady in order to gain the world's approval?
This thread is off the rails. There's nothing wrong with Manziel being who he is. Just as there's nothing wrong with the Browns deciding that Manziel being who he is means that he won't be who he is as their starting QB.
I don't want to say that Manziel can't do things like that, he can have all the fun he wants to and that's his right. What I'm saying is that he should expect to have consequences when it comes to his job and I don't understand why people feel the need to defend him.

If he wants to party then go party, just don't expect to have a meaningful career in the NFL. Quit wasting the organisation's time and money.

Is there other video of this weekend I didn't see? I just saw the 5 second video of him standing there with a bottle and singing while some guy is trying to take a picture with him.

So the rehab stint was a PR move? Interesting.
If it wasn't then why after a relapse is he not back in rehab? Why'd the Browns keep him on the team and then start him? The whole unveiling and post rehab tidbits came off like PR 101.
You could also ask why Manziel extended his rehab a couple times?
odds he is drinking right now?
I'm guessing John is pretty damned pleased to be leaving Cleveland. He is a moron, to have the chance to be a football hero in that kind of town? He has no idea what he's doing, he could have been king if he had won there and loved the people. He will never have that chance again. My guess is he has the champagne out instead.

When you are supposed to be the face/leader of an NFL franchise (which is the expectation when you're a first round QB) and they're paying you millions of dollars to do so, you lose any right to chalk stuff up to "just being a kid". Its a double standard (just look at Gronk, who just gets to be the goofy frat bro because A) He's really really good and B) because he doesn't play quarterback) but that's life. People's jobs (stupid people, since they drafted him) depend on him and that comes with responsibility. When you sign that contract, you accept that responsibility.

Your margin for error gets even slimmer when you have a history of poor substance-abuse related behavior. It becomes basically non-existent when you also have shown to stink at playing NFL football.

Anyone with a brain could have seen this coming a mile away. He was blessed with the talent needed to succeed at the HS and college level (While playing an undisciplined style of football that didn't require much game prep) and always had the backstop of his family money in case it didn't work out. This kid is the very embodiment of "born on 3rd and acts like he hit a triple".

I do think there is something to the idea that social media makes it A LOT harder for star athletes to live their lives. And maybe that's not entirely fair. But there are plenty of other guys his age (even guys with checkered pasts like Cam Newton) who have managed to do so.

Why are people so desperate for him to be a good QB?
he's the dark twin of Tebow.
Ha.

Really tho, there's a sizable amount of people looking forward to the failure.

It's really a bummer about Johnny, if he was successful, the league would be fun. Guys like Kaepernick, Griffin, and Manziel, if they were all running around and winning games, the league would be better.

I don't hate Johnny at all, I'm just not a believer.

Part of the problem is that the media has a massive hard-on for him and brings attention to everything he does. Honest truth is that he is a young man in his 20s who is going to want to have fun. Does he have problems controlling his alcohol use? Probably, he admits as much. Is it affecting his play? We have no evidence to believe it is at this point. Let him be a big boy and make his own decisions in his free time. It's not like his whipping his #### out and taking pictures of it, alledgedly raping women, or beating the #### out his girlfriend.

If the Browns are going to yank the leash every time the guy gets his picture taken, they need to just deal him away. He should be more responsible than he is but the Browns either don't have the ability to make him do it or he doesn't have enough respect for them to listen. Let the man play and if he sucks because he's off partying on his off week, then you punish him.

Part of the problem is that the media has a massive hard-on for him and brings attention to everything he does. Honest truth is that he is a young man in his 20s who is going to want to have fun. Does he have problems controlling his alcohol use? Probably, he admits as much. Is it affecting his play? We have no evidence to believe it is at this point. Let him be a big boy and make his own decisions in his free time. It's not like his whipping his #### out and taking pictures of it, alledgedly raping women, or beating the #### out his girlfriend.

If the Browns are going to yank the leash every time the guy gets his picture taken, they need to just deal him away. He should be more responsible than he is but the Browns either don't have the ability to make him do it or he doesn't have enough respect for them to listen. Let the man play and if he sucks because he's off partying on his off week, then you punish him.
'Deal him away'?

That might be part of the problem, but if you are under a microscope, then you have to play the hand you are dealt. It's not like he had no issues, one harmless video came out, and the team yanked him. It's the total sum of all the screw-ups, and the team doesn't trust him.

I have first hand knowledge of pros in a different sport who have road phones. Equipment guys collect their home phones the second they get on the plane and give them a different phone that they use for their side ladies. Home phones for the wife and family, road phones for the hussies. The team takes care of everything. Maybe one or two guys on the whole team doesn't partake. The rest are out with whoever until whenever setting it all up on their team bought, side-piece phone. Watch their interview after the game and you'd never guess it was that way, not for that decent, hardworking player. But it is.

I understand the NFL has an image problem with the player arrests, with the concussions and whatever else but I'm tired of having to pretend that these guys are all choir boys. They're not. I don't care what they do in their private lives. They want to party all night? Cheat on their wives? Drugs? Hookers? I. Don't. Care. Do whatever the hell you want. I'll still watch the games. Johnny Manziel is like thousands of current and former professional athletes. He's a young guy with money who likes to party. Maybe it'll cost him his career, maybe it'll cost him more. Who cares? I don't. If the league wasn't so image obsessed the Browns wouldn't either. To think that this guy lost his job for going out during his bye week is ludicrous. Have we become so naive to think that the sport is played by perfect people? It's a violent game played by some unsavory characters, some of whom like to have a pop or thirty every now and again. Greats of the game in every sport liked to have a good time to excess. Imagine if Babe Ruth lived during these times. The Yankees probably would have released him.

The Olympics are coming. Get ready for story after BS story about how Michael Phelps is a good and decent person now because he acknowledged and dealt with his demons. Why will we have to hear about this over and over? Because Michael Phelps moves merchandise for a lot of people. That's the only reason. If he was any other schlep he would have paid his dui fine and moved on with his life, changing nothing other than maybe making sure he took Uber the next time he went out. Instead we'll be bombarded with feel good, carefully crafted PR BS so the same people who vilify Johnny Manziel in this thread will continue to purchase whatever crap Michael Phelps is shilling.

Willie you really think the Browns don't think his behavior/attitude/problems affects him, the coaches and the team on game day?

It's your position that regardless of talent, the Browns are just embarrassed by the pr and that's it?

and i'm sure no other NFL football player partied during their bye week. Who has more party videos, Gronk or Manziel? I bet its close, but for some reason we give Gronk a pass and want to throw Johnny out of the league. The kid didn't hurt anybody last I checked or is in any type of program. Good, The Browns are an awful team; the kid will get another chance.

I haven't read a single post I this thread in months. Let me guess, some people are still defending this clown as 'young rich guy what do you expect?!??!'

Again, to me it's not about boozing or partying, it's about not working to learn the playbook which he doesn't seem to know very well or know his progressions which he doesn't appear to understand... And that's with the fact that we still don't even know how JFF at his best is going to scale to the pros.

He's got a ton of work to do. He doesn't have time to party.

Read Peter King's excellent piece on how hard Carson Palmer works to prepare for a game. That's like a twelve year vet.

I have first hand knowledge of pros in a different sport who have road phones. Equipment guys collect their home phones the second they get on the plane and give them a different phone that they use for their side ladies. Home phones for the wife and family, road phones for the hussies. The team takes care of everything. Maybe one or two guys one the whole team doesn't partake. The rest are out with whoever until whenever setting it all up on their team bought, side-piece phone. Watch their interview after the game and you'd never guess it was that way, not for that decent, hardworking player. But it is.

I understand the NFL has an image problem with the player arrests, with the concussions and whatever else but I'm tired of having to pretend that these guys are all choir boys. They're not. I don't care what they do in their private lives. They want to party all night? Cheat on their wives? Drugs? Hookers? I. Don't. Care. Do whatever the hell you want. I'll still watch the games. Johnny Manziel is like thousands of current and former professional athletes. He's a young guy with money who likes to party. Maybe it'll cost him his career, maybe it'll cost him more. Who cares? I don't. If the league wasn't so image obsessed the Brown wouldn't either. To think that this guy lost his job for going out during his bye week is ludicrous. Have we become so naive to think that the sport is played by perfect people? It's a violent game played by some unsavory characters, some of whom like to have a pop or thirty every now and again. Greats of the game in every sport liked to have a good time to excess. Imagine if Babe Ruth lived during these times. The Yankees probably would have released him.

The Olympics are coming. Get ready for story after BS story about how Michael Phelps is a good and decent person now because he acknowledged and dealt with his demons. Why will we have to hear about this over and over? Because Michael Phelps moves merchandise for a lot of people. That's the only reason. If he was any other schlep he would have paid his dui fine and moved on with his life, changing nothing other than maybe making sure he took Uber the next time he went out. Instead we'll be bombarded with feel good, carefully crafted PR BS so the same people who vilify Johnny Manziel in this thread will continue to purchase whatever crap Michael Phelps is shilling.
Great post, Willie. I've spent a lot of time around pro athletes, and they are 20-somethings with a lot of money, they get after it, no doubt. I think if Johnny was performing well, and practicing well, he'd have a lot more leeway. I also think a lot of guys that get up to no good know when it's time to answer the bell, and go to work. Maybe Johnny hasn't found that balance.

Fact is, he's not getting the job done, and while it's very early, that's the NFL. Developing is expected to be accelerated.

I haven't read a single post I this thread in months. Let me guess, some people are still defending this clown as 'young rich guy what do you expect?!??!'
You see, the Browns have this really talented QB who will lead them to wins, but they can't see that because, even though he was the owner's personal pet pick and project, and even though his habits don't affect him or the team on the field (I mean, we know that), they are just morally offended and embarrassed by the pr. It's simple really.

pantherclub said:
JuniorNB said:
dirtyjay said:
JuniorNB said:
dirtyjay said:
franchise punter said:
dirtyjay said:
franchise punter said:
dirtyjay said:
The NFL and the media is so dramatic, and the Browns are a terrible franchise.

Anyone who cares about a video that no one knows when it was taken in where a young man was drinking and dancing are the ones with the real issues.

Hardy can beat women, make a mockery of the league and get millions, but JFF cant dance and drink without getting benched.

I do not like JFF but he is getting very shady deal.
Again, this is about showing respect for your employer and being a professional. If your boss gave you an ultimatum to lay low over the holiday, you damn better comply if you care about your job.

Johnny doesn't give a crap about what you or I or Mary Kay Cabot think, which is fine, and maybe commendable, but he doesn't give a crap what the Browns think either. He's done nothing to suggest he'll care what any other team thinks should he get picked up.
What about his employer showing JFF some respect and let him live his life a little bit? The Browns need to worry about trying to get wins,not be role models. The end game is a super bowl, not moral award of the year.
He lost that privilege after the money phone, floating on the swan, oversleeping a walkthrough because he was hungover, going to rehab, etc. There's more than enough evidence to say this is Johnny's fault.
Greg Hardy beat a woman missed practice and still makes million and is a starter. Do you see why JFF is benched and Hardy isnt?

TALENT. Only reason. He was singing and dancing. The fact people get worked up about that shows how sensitive some are.
Is there any point in in your ramblings where you're going to admit that Manziel is a bonehead and needs to grow up? He was told to lay low over the bye week. The Browns announced him to be their starter for the rest of the year. This was it. His big audition to see if he's capable of being a starting QB in this league. And he just couldn't stay out of the bars. And you have no criticism of him at all. If I was physically smaller and weaker than everyone else who does the job that I want to do, and there was someone I this world willing to give me a chance to do it anyway, I don't care if they demanded I don't drink water or own a puppy. You do what you're told and you don't thumb your nose and act like you're above being told what to do. How many chances do you think this moron deserves?
You have so much hatred towards the world.
You seem to be the one who's a little bitter. I'm loving this. Never could stand punks like Manziel.
Yep, not many types of people that I cannot stand worse then the rich coddled kid that can do no wrong and lives in his own little insulated existence. Its Johnnys world we are just living in it.
You disappear the times things are going well for the kid.. you haven't missed a chance to kick him when he is down.

I can judge your character at least as well as you think you can judge his.

I have first hand knowledge of pros in a different sport who have road phones. Equipment guys collect their home phones the second they get on the plane and give them a different phone that they use for their side ladies. Home phones for the wife and family, road phones for the hussies. The team takes care of everything. Maybe one or two guys one the whole team doesn't partake. The rest are out with whoever until whenever setting it all up on their team bought, side-piece phone. Watch their interview after the game and you'd never guess it was that way, not for that decent, hardworking player. But it is.

I understand the NFL has an image problem with the player arrests, with the concussions and whatever else but I'm tired of having to pretend that these guys are all choir boys. They're not. I don't care what they do in their private lives. They want to party all night? Cheat on their wives? Drugs? Hookers? I. Don't. Care. Do whatever the hell you want. I'll still watch the games. Johnny Manziel is like thousands of current and former professional athletes. He's a young guy with money who likes to party. Maybe it'll cost him his career, maybe it'll cost him more. Who cares? I don't. If the league wasn't so image obsessed the Brown wouldn't either. To think that this guy lost his job for going out during his bye week is ludicrous. Have we become so naive to think that the sport is played by perfect people? It's a violent game played by some unsavory characters, some of whom like to have a pop or thirty every now and again. Greats of the game in every sport liked to have a good time to excess. Imagine if Babe Ruth lived during these times. The Yankees probably would have released him.

HS, Manziel in 2014 was the number 14 jersey/merch seller for the NFL, between Andrew Luck and DeMarco Murray.

Willie you really think the Browns don't think his behavior/attitude/problems affects him, the coaches and the team on game day?

It's your position that regardless of talent, the Browns are just embarrassed by the pr and that's it?
I think the Browns are part of the problem. The worst place on earth a young QB could go is to Cleveland.

Not excusing Manziel at all at this point.. he has blown it enough on his own. But you have to ask who was there to take him under their wing and lead... what was the plan to bring him along? He needed (anyone developing QB will need) more than Cleveland can provide. When an offensive linemen is about the only guy you even might name as a leader... red flag.

Manziel's clear part in this aside, he isn't the first and won't be the last high draft pick QB to come in and fail as a Brown.

I think the Browns are part of the problem. The worst place on earth a young QB could go is to Cleveland.

Not excusing Manziel at all at this point.. he has blown it enough on his own. But you have to ask who was there to take him under their wing and lead... what was the plan to bring him along? He needed (anyone developing QB will need) more than Cleveland can provide. When an offensive linemen is about the only guy you even might name as a leader... red flag.

Manziel's clear part in this aside, he isn't the first and won't be the last high draft pick QB to come in and fail as a Brown.
Yeah that may be true. The most successful out of 4 first round QBs in the expansion era has been Tim Couch. This is part of an organizational failure.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 3h3 hours ago

The Browns have drafted four QBs in the first round since coming back into the league in '99. Tim Couch was the most successful of them.

...And if Manziel is done w/the Browns after this year, that means their last 3 1st-round QBs will have lasted a TOTAL of 7 yrs with the team.

pantherclub said:
JuniorNB said:
dirtyjay said:
JuniorNB said:
dirtyjay said:
franchise punter said:
dirtyjay said:
franchise punter said:
dirtyjay said:
The NFL and the media is so dramatic, and the Browns are a terrible franchise.

Anyone who cares about a video that no one knows when it was taken in where a young man was drinking and dancing are the ones with the real issues.

Hardy can beat women, make a mockery of the league and get millions, but JFF cant dance and drink without getting benched.

I do not like JFF but he is getting very shady deal.
Again, this is about showing respect for your employer and being a professional. If your boss gave you an ultimatum to lay low over the holiday, you damn better comply if you care about your job.

Johnny doesn't give a crap about what you or I or Mary Kay Cabot think, which is fine, and maybe commendable, but he doesn't give a crap what the Browns think either. He's done nothing to suggest he'll care what any other team thinks should he get picked up.
What about his employer showing JFF some respect and let him live his life a little bit? The Browns need to worry about trying to get wins,not be role models. The end game is a super bowl, not moral award of the year.
He lost that privilege after the money phone, floating on the swan, oversleeping a walkthrough because he was hungover, going to rehab, etc. There's more than enough evidence to say this is Johnny's fault.
Greg Hardy beat a woman missed practice and still makes million and is a starter. Do you see why JFF is benched and Hardy isnt?

TALENT. Only reason. He was singing and dancing. The fact people get worked up about that shows how sensitive some are.
Is there any point in in your ramblings where you're going to admit that Manziel is a bonehead and needs to grow up? He was told to lay low over the bye week. The Browns announced him to be their starter for the rest of the year. This was it. His big audition to see if he's capable of being a starting QB in this league. And he just couldn't stay out of the bars. And you have no criticism of him at all. If I was physically smaller and weaker than everyone else who does the job that I want to do, and there was someone I this world willing to give me a chance to do it anyway, I don't care if they demanded I don't drink water or own a puppy. You do what you're told and you don't thumb your nose and act like you're above being told what to do. How many chances do you think this moron deserves?
You have so much hatred towards the world.
You seem to be the one who's a little bitter. I'm loving this. Never could stand punks like Manziel.
Yep, not many types of people that I cannot stand worse then the rich coddled kid that can do no wrong and lives in his own little insulated existence. Its Johnnys world we are just living in it.
You disappear the times things are going well for the kid.. you haven't missed a chance to kick him when he is down.

I can judge your character at least as well as you think you can judge his.
lol wut? When were things ever going well for this moron?

and i'm sure no other NFL football player partied during their bye week. Who has more party videos, Gronk or Manziel? I bet its close, but for some reason we give Gronk a pass and want to throw Johnny out of the league. The kid didn't hurt anybody last I checked or is in any type of program. Good, The Browns are an awful team; the kid will get another chance.
this was discussed about 30 pages ago, but Gronk produces on Sundays. HTH.

This is fascinating. If only most people would live according to the standard they hold famous strangers to this would be a much better world.

Please keep going on about how the 22 year old millionaire isn't living up to your own high standards that I am certain you meticulously adhere to regardless of how much you are paid.

This is fascinating. If only most people would live according to the standard they hold famous strangers to this would be a much better world.

Please keep going on about how the 22 year old millionaire isn't living up to your own high standards that I am certain you meticulously adhere to regardless of how much you are paid.
I think the problem is that he's not living up to his employer's requirements.

And they're the ones that made him a millionaire.

I honestly feel like Pettine is using Manziel to come off like a no nonsense Belichick type. He's hated the guy since day one. Look how tough I am, i won't stand for stuff like this. My way or the highway. The difference is Belichick would never open his yapper about it the way Pettine does. Moves would be made and that would be that. See Moss, Randy. Instead Pettine grandstands and tells everyone who'll listen how disappointed he is and how he doesn't stand for that kind of behavior. I remember Pettine from the Jets Hard Knocks. He didn't come off well. Didn't seem like head coach material. I have a feeling if if everyone recorded his every move when he was 22 there'd be a bunch of embarrassing video out there. That doesn't mean Manziel isn't a clown but maybe he isn't the only clown in the room when the two of them get together.

The people passing judgement in this thread own the Browns? Sorry, didn't realize I was posting with so many aristocrats.

The people passing judgement in this thread own the Browns? Sorry, didn't realize I was posting with so many aristocrats.
When did you become so snarky?

When did you become so snarky?
Tonight around 8 pm Pacific time I guess.

Sorry. My sincere response, which I guess I have a reputation for, is that I just find it so funny when guys like us, yes us, become so judgmental about people that we honestly have no ability to identify with on any level. We love to talk about what we would have done under x, y, z circumstances but the truth is that we have no idea how we would have responded but that doesn't stop us from passing judgment. The history of the NFL is littered with talented guys who didn't live up to their physical ability for whatever reason but we always treat the flavor of the month as if it were some kind of unique situation. Frankly I find the judgment more of an indictment of the poster than I do of the player being judged.

I honestly feel like Pettine is using Manziel to come off like a no nonsense Belichick type. He's hated the guy since day one. Look how tough I am, i won't stand for stuff like this. My way or the highway. The difference is Belichick would never open his yapper about it the way Pettine does. Moves would be made and that would be that. See Moss, Randy. Instead Pettine grandstands and tells everyone who'll listen how disappointed he is and how he doesn't stand for that kind of behavior. I remember Pettine from the Jets Hard Knocks. He didn't come off well. Didn't seem like head coach material. I have a feeling if if everyone recorded his every move when he was 22 there'd be a bunch of embarrassing video out there. That doesn't mean Manziel isn't a clown but maybe he isn't the only clown in the room when the two of them get together.
I'll let you in on a secret. They're using all this as evidence to void his contract and get signing bonus money back. Everything you see is grandstanding.Also, they're doing that because he's terrible. If he were Favre or Elway as you alluded to, he could play with a Miller Light in his ####ing hand.

Apple Jack said:
and by the way, lol at thinking a team that picks him up as a low cost free agent will be more patient with him than the browns have been.
Yea that never happens. For sure Dallas bowed to public pressure and quit being patient with Hardy.
Greg Hardy is one of the best players in the league. Manziel is a backup for the Browns. HTH.
and hardy beat a human being half his size until she was black and blue all over her body and threatened her with an arsenal of guns.

manziel sang karaoke.

JuniorNB said:
dirtyjay said:
jurb26 said:
dirtyjay said:

OK, in the NFL talent wins 99.99% of the time. We've seen this with a slew of other guys.Plus, you don't know that talent is the ONLY reason for this. There is likely a lo of things going on behind the scene that aren't public. I'm sure talent is a primary reason.
If he was throwing for 300 and 3 a game, no one would care and he would be starting. That is my point.
You've finally figured out the Barry Bonds rule. Bonds was always a surly, miserable jerk. Teammates didn't like him. But he was a great all around player and 30-30 guy the first half of his career and a phenomenal power hitter when he was all jacked up on roids. So he was always going to have a job. As soon as he got a little older and he wasn't cracking out 50+ home runs anymore (and wasn't offering the ticket sales/TV viewers of the home run chase) he was unceremoniously unsigned by the Giants and no other team wanted him either. Hardy is Steroids Bonds. Manziel is washed up Bonds.
one of the worst analogies of all time. bonds was never washed up. look at his final year. led the league in walks, 28 hr and 1045 ops. the league and owners colluded to keep him out of baseball. perhaps that is indeed similar to manziel in that he is not getting a fair shot either.

perhaps that is indeed similar to manziel in that he is not getting a fair shot either.
I guarantee that, if Manziel is cut from Cle, he will end up with another team quick, fast and in a hurry. Probably Dallas, which makes the Hardy talk that much more entertaining.

If the Browns release him, there will a long line of teams waiting to sign him. At age 22, he's got room to grow. He develops a little more and he would be an upgrade for the Rams, Eagles, 49ers, Broncos, Chiefs, Jets, and Texans. Its such a QB hungry league I think one of those teams will give him a shot.

The Chiefs would be intriguing because rumor has it that Andy Reid was going to select him until the Browns leapfrogged 1 spot ahead of the Chiefs to grab him.

But, I think that's where manziel goes if they get rid of him. He'll go to KC.

I guess it depends if it is by choice or by waivers.

By choice I'm betting on Dallas vs the field. By waivers, Dallas still has a good shot, but it's more of a crap shoot.

perhaps that is indeed similar to manziel in that he is not getting a fair shot either.
I guarantee that, if Manziel is cut from Cle, he will end up with another team quick, fast and in a hurry.
I'd agree if he got cut he'd end up with another team quickly and he'd actually make more money because his next two years on his Browns contract is guaranteed. Not sure what offset language is in his contract but he'd make more money anyway on the open market, which is why I don't think he gets cut. I don't think he ever plays another snap for the Browns but I think they'll be able to trade him for a 6th-7th round pick.

I'm sure most of you think he's not tradeable but even middling back up QB's make more money then he has left on his contract the next two years. And sure some teams would not view him as backup material but enough will and some will believe it's possible to groom him into something more. Any team that acquired him would be on the hook for two years and a total of about $2.46 million. That's a bargain even if he was never more than a backup. To put that into perspective that's not even Bruce Gradkowski money.

If the Browns release him, there will a long line of teams waiting to sign him. At age 22, he's got room to grow. He develops a little more and he would be an upgrade for the Rams, Eagles, 49ers, Broncos, Chiefs, Jets, and Texans. Its such a QB hungry league I think one of those teams will give him a shot.

The Chiefs would be intriguing because rumor has it that Andy Reid was going to select him until the Browns leapfrogged 1 spot ahead of the Chiefs to grab him.

I have a hard time believing that rumor. or any rumor that anyone else would have taken him that high.

Users who are viewing this thread