What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (3 Viewers)

I like this coach. He has morals and sticks to them. Rare these days.
LOL.. Pettine is a joke. Being a hard ### tough guy coach like he's running a high school team. And based on his ability, that is probably where he should be. Manziel will outlast him in Cleveland.
Possibly he will outlast him. But at least Pettine made rules and carried through on them. And you've convinced me that you would be just like Manziel's daddy, high school, and college coaches and just let him play by his own set of rules. In other words. you'd be a part of the problem. There's a reason he's got all that talent and is one step from being out of the league. He's an immature knucklehead who's be told all of his life that the rules don't apply to him because he's a good football player. Once Cleveland finally gives up on th4e turd, his last shot will be Dallas. And he'll screw that up too and be back to living off his rich daddy's money. And it sure won't be Pettine's fault. He was the first guy in Manziel's life who tried to make him be a man.
You seem to have a personal issue with Manziel too lol...You are living in a fantasy world if you think that professional athletes do not play by their own sets of rules. The tough guy theatrics do not work with pro athletes, perhaps if works for a while if the coach is/has been successful. He has not been and is clearly in over his head as an NFL coach.

Also, can we retire "knucklehead" from the football lexicon. So tired.
I have a personal issue with every athlete who thinks he's above the rules. A few years ago, while in college, Manziel was told to go home from the Manning quarterback camp because he was out partying every night and showing up at camp late every day and smelling like booze. In 2012, he was arrested for underage drinking, false ID, and shouting a racial slur at someone. A month ago, the cops had to be called because passersby noticed a car pulled over with a couple arguing and getting physical with each other. After being named the starter in Cleveland, Petine asked that he refrain from partying during the bye week and use the time to study his craft. Of course, he couldn't resist the booze and a party. Then when the video came out, he lied right to Petine's face and went as far as to call all the friends in the video and ask them to lie also.He's a mental midget that refuses to grow up and take his job seriously. That might work if you're Brett Favre or Joe Namath. It doesn't for a guy who is borderline a rosterable talent as it is.

If other young boneheads like Cam Newton and Jameis Winston can grow up and try to seize their opportunity, why can't Manziel? If the 'tough guy' tactics don't work with Manziel, then maybe he'll do much bet5ter in Dallas next year, where they encourage low character guys and it's run like a country club. IU have a feeling he'll even screw that up. Some people just aren't intelligent enough for it to ever click.
Manziel has made it to the NFL, an accomplishment that takes more skill and work than probably anything you've achieved in your life. He's also in his early 20's having fun, banging extremely hot women (or woman now). None of that has anything to do with his on the field issues, which are plenty.You sound like a jealous crumedgen whose life has passed you by, that like to project your distain at people you don't know for doing things you don't like.

Sorry for partying
wow. Talk about missing the entire point.

I get his point, it's the same point Pettine is trying to make. Authoritarian types with no credibility waving their fingers at someone for doing things they don't like that don't have anything to do with football.

I love how this thread has become a referendum on partying. In most cases the rules are pretty simple. Play great and you can do just about whatever you want off the field. Play poorly or mediocre, and most coaches have very little tolerance for off the field issues.

LOL.. Pettine is a joke.

Being a hard ### tough guy coach like he's running a high school team. And based on his ability, that is probably where he should be. Manziel will outlast him in Cleveland.
Possibly he will outlast him. But at least Pettine made rules and carried through on them.

And you've convinced me that you would be just like Manziel's daddy, high school, and college coaches and just let him play by his own set of rules. In other words. you'd be a part of the problem. There's a reason he's got all that talent and is one step from being out of the league. He's an immature knucklehead who's be told all of his life that the rules don't apply to him because he's a good football player. Once Cleveland finally gives up on th4e turd, his last shot will be Dallas. And he'll screw that up too and be back to living off his rich daddy's money. And it sure won't be Pettine's fault. He was the first guy in Manziel's life who tried to make him be a man.
You seem to have a personal issue with Manziel too lol...

You are living in a fantasy world if you think that professional athletes do not play by their own sets of rules. The tough guy theatrics do not work with pro athletes, perhaps if works for a while if the coach is/has been successful. He has not been and is clearly in over his head as an NFL coach.

I have a personal issue with every athlete who thinks he's above the rules. A few years ago, while in college, Manziel was told to go home from the Manning quarterback camp because he was out partying every night and showing up at camp late every day and smelling like booze. In 2012, he was arrested for underage drinking, false ID, and shouting a racial slur at someone. A month ago, the cops had to be called because passersby noticed a car pulled over with a couple arguing and getting physical with each other. After being named the starter in Cleveland, Petine asked that he refrain from partying during the bye week and use the time to study his craft. Of course, he couldn't resist the booze and a party. Then when the video came out, he lied right to Petine's face and went as far as to call all the friends in the video and ask them to lie also.

He's a mental midget that refuses to grow up and take his job seriously. That might work if you're Brett Favre or Joe Namath. It doesn't for a guy who is borderline a rosterable talent as it is.

If other young boneheads like Cam Newton and Jameis Winston can grow up and try to seize their opportunity, why can't Manziel? If the 'tough guy' tactics don't work with Manziel, then maybe he'll do much bet5ter in Dallas next year, where they encourage low character guys and it's run like a country club. IU have a feeling he'll even screw that up. Some people just aren't intelligent enough for it to ever click.
Manziel has made it to the NFL, an accomplishment that takes more skill and work than probably anything you've achieved in your life. He's also in his early 20's having fun, banging extremely hot women (or woman now). None of that has anything to do with his on the field issues, which are plenty.

You sound like a jealous crumedgen whose life has passed you by, that like to project your distain at people you don't know for doing things you don't like.

Sorry for partying
Unless you know something I don't, he's never been in trouble or reprimanded by the coaching staff for banging a hot woman.

I stated upthread that Jameis Winston was a similar knucklehead to Manziel. Both are the same age. One saw his opportunity and took his job seriously. He prospering in the pros. The other still wants to be a frat boy. He's one strike away from being out of football.

As for me being a jealous curmudgeon, I love Gronkowski, and he's out partying and pulling more tail than any of us. Try again. sport. ;)

LOL.. Pettine is a joke. Being a hard ### tough guy coach like he's running a high school team. And based on his ability, that is probably where he should be. Manziel will outlast him in Cleveland.
Possibly he will outlast him. But at least Pettine made rules and carried through on them. And you've convinced me that you would be just like Manziel's daddy, high school, and college coaches and just let him play by his own set of rules. In other words. you'd be a part of the problem. There's a reason he's got all that talent and is one step from being out of the league. He's an immature knucklehead who's be told all of his life that the rules don't apply to him because he's a good football player. Once Cleveland finally gives up on th4e turd, his last shot will be Dallas. And he'll screw that up too and be back to living off his rich daddy's money. And it sure won't be Pettine's fault. He was the first guy in Manziel's life who tried to make him be a man.
You seem to have a personal issue with Manziel too lol...You are living in a fantasy world if you think that professional athletes do not play by their own sets of rules. The tough guy theatrics do not work with pro athletes, perhaps if works for a while if the coach is/has been successful. He has not been and is clearly in over his head as an NFL coach.

I have a personal issue with every athlete who thinks he's above the rules. A few years ago, while in college, Manziel was told to go home from the Manning quarterback camp because he was out partying every night and showing up at camp late every day and smelling like booze. In 2012, he was arrested for underage drinking, false ID, and shouting a racial slur at someone. A month ago, the cops had to be called because passersby noticed a car pulled over with a couple arguing and getting physical with each other. After being named the starter in Cleveland, Petine asked that he refrain from partying during the bye week and use the time to study his craft. Of course, he couldn't resist the booze and a party. Then when the video came out, he lied right to Petine's face and went as far as to call all the friends in the video and ask them to lie also.He's a mental midget that refuses to grow up and take his job seriously. That might work if you're Brett Favre or Joe Namath. It doesn't for a guy who is borderline a rosterable talent as it is.

Manziel has made it to the NFL, an accomplishment that takes more skill and work than probably anything you've achieved in your life. He's also in his early 20's having fun, banging extremely hot women (or woman now). None of that has anything to do with his on the field issues, which are plenty.You sound like a jealous crumedgen whose life has passed you by, that like to project your distain at people you don't know for doing things you don't like.

Sorry for partying
wow. Talk about missing the entire point.
LOLOL I feel like I'm talking to a 14 year old who's bummed out because the Manziel Fathead on his bedroom wall won't be as cool to his fellow 9th graders if Manziel gets cut.

I get his point, it's the same point Pettine is trying to make. Authoritarian types with no credibility waving their fingers at someone for doing things they don't like that don't have anything to do with football.
I probably 'party' as much as Manziel does. But I don't get in screaming fights and get physical with my girlfriend on the side of the road. Or get asked to leave prestigious sports camps because I act like a child. Hit me up on PM and we can go out and hit the town. I do things that would make Manziel blush.

JuniorNB.. You have no clue what Jameis Winston is doing in his personal life, so please stop with the he turned it around narrative. And what did Cam do that was so bad? Maybe take money for playing football?

What if Johnny still goes out on his personal time, avoiding TMZ, while (still) doing nothing illegal and leads the Browns to 2-1 record and plays well down the stretch? You'd probably be in here congratulating him for turning his life around and finally seeing your light!!!

Back to football, Pettine is not making a decision on what is best for the team. That is his only job, and he continually fails at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
JuniorNB.. You have no clue what Jameis Winston is doing in his personal life, so please stop with the he turned it around narrative. And what did Cam do that was so bad? Maybe take money for playing football?

What if Johnny still goes out on his personal time, avoiding TMZ, while (still) doing nothing illegal and leads the Browns to 2-1 record and plays well down the stretch? You'd probably be in here congratulating him for turning his life around and finally seeing your light!!!

Back to football, Pettine is not making a decision on what is best for the team. That is his only job, and he continually fails at it.
I've heard that Winston is the first on the practice field and last to leave the facility because he's studying game plans and film. He's also turned a bad Tampa Bay team into a contender and, as far as I know, hasn't roughed his girlfriend up on the side of the road. Maybe you know otherwise?

If Manziel finished the season 2-1 and went that entire three weeks without being filmed with a bottle of booze in his hand and no videos surfaced of him talking with police officers along the side of the road, I would say that MAYBE this last benching helped and he's finally getting it. Until then, he is what we thought he was.

He'll have a Tebow-like career. Very short, but will be given a shot because of his 'name' and college success. Out of football in three years. Probably in jail.
Not suprising you've been hating on him since before his college career was over.. LOL

Personal Vendetta'd

He'll have a Tebow-like career. Very short, but will be given a shot because of his 'name' and college success. Out of football in three years. Probably in jail.
Not suprising you've been hating on him since before his college career was over.. LOL

Personal Vendetta'd
I've just seen guys like him come and go. I stay consistent. Also, looks like I'm right on schedule with my prediction. Thanks for the bump man!

Now check out the Winston thread. Before the draft, I said he'd be a failure because he was also an immature bonehead. I've changed my tune because he grew up and is taking his opportunity seriously.

Not suprising you've been hating on him since before his college career was over.. LOLPersonal Vendetta'd
So you're a Trump supporter I'm guessing?Wait, are you old enough to vote?
Clearly I'm a Trump supporter, because I'm really advocating for overzealous fascists ITT

No, I'm not a dinosaur.

The Browns have to play Manziel to see what they have. Foolish not to. They could have stated that they hope that his demotion for one week was a strong message. Cleveland is a mess on the field, on the sidelines, and in the front office.

The Browns have to play Manziel to see what they have. Foolish not to. They could have stated that they hope that his demotion for one week was a strong message. Cleveland is a mess on the field, on the sidelines, and in the front office.
If only Manziel wouldn't of gone out on his bye week, he'd have the whole organization turned around like Jamies Winston. A model citizen who likely raped someone, but rose above it and has turned his personal life around by being good at football.

If only Manziel wouldn't of gone out on his bye week, he'd have the whole organization turned around like Jamies Winston. A model citizen who likely raped someone, but rose above it and has turned his personal life around by being good at football.
Ding ding ding. I think you finally figured it out. Congrats.

Right, I get that you (and many) attribute on field success as some kind of barometer for how good of a person someone is outside of their sporting life. You do not know these people.

Jamies, like a lot of other pro athletes- is a scumbag. And while you try and apply your moral high ground to Manziel it doesn't really hold up, because again all YOU care about is on the field performance. The fact is that Manziel was playing pretty well before he was benched for no reason other than a coach's pride.

But none of that matters, because you are a part of the crowd that makes TMZ rich by following around certain buzzworthy celebs because they provoke interest.

Right, I get that you (and many) attribute on field success as some kind of barometer for how good of a person someone is outside of their sporting life. You do not know these people.

Jamies, like a lot of other pro athletes- is a scumbag. And while you try and apply your moral high ground to Manziel it doesn't really hold up, because again all YOU care about is on the field performance. The fact is that Manziel was playing pretty well before he was benched for no reason other than a coach's pride.

But none of that matters, because you are a part of the crowd that makes TMZ rich by following around certain buzzworthy celebs because they provoke interest.
Playing pretty well? He had a lot of yards in a blowout loss to Pittsburgh and led them to....9 points. Whoa. That's great.

And if Manziel was the talent that Winston is and was as dedicated to learning as Winston is, the Browns would no doubt cut him more slack. Do you know why the Cowboys cut Christian Michael but kept Greg Hardy? Both are distractions. Both are locker room cancers. It's simple. Because Greg Hardy is one of the league's best pass rushers and CMike has never been good enough to even get major playing time. Yes, it's a sad fact that you get a longer leash if you're a better player. I don't make the rules. But they've been around forever. The fact that Manziel was specifically told not to be out acting like a frat boy over the bye week, but simply couldn't resist, PLUS came back and flat out lied to his coach, tells you all you need to know about the guy. That doesn't cut it when your career high point is throwing for 300 yards in a 21 point loss.

Playing pretty well? He had a lot of yards in a blowout loss to Pittsburgh and led them to....9 points. Whoa. That's great.

And if Manziel was the talent that Winston is and was as dedicated to learning as Winston is, the Browns would no doubt cut him more slack. Do you know why the Cowboys cut Christian Michael but kept Greg Hardy? Both are distractions. Both are locker room cancers. It's simple. Because Greg Hardy is one of the league's best pass rushers and CMike has never been good enough to even get major playing time. Yes, it's a sad fact that you get a longer leash if you're a better player. I don't make the rules. But they've been around forever. The fact that Manziel was specifically told not to be out acting like a frat boy over the bye week, but simply couldn't resist, PLUS came back and flat out lied to his coach, tells you all you need to know about the guy. That doesn't cut it when your career high point is throwing for 300 yards in a 21 point loss.
Winston is a much better QB now and as a prospect. If I'm drafting a human being though, I'll take the frat boy over the rapist.

You are trying to have it both ways.. On one had you are condemning a player for not doing things off the field that you agree with, while at the same time adulating or at least condoning others (and far larger dirtbags) because they can play.

In your world personal condemnation only comes if you are not excelling on the field, which is why you supporting Pettine's crusade for righteousness is just asinine.

And again, back to football...

You can short change Manziel's improved play and conclude that he isn't any good. Fair enough. But the Browns are an NFL team with a 1st round pick invested and have been completely incompetent in every aspect of the organization. You have to see what you have with Manziel. It's a business decision, not a personal one as Pettine (which you laud) has made it.

Right, I get that you (and many) attribute on field success as some kind of barometer for how good of a person someone is outside of their sporting life. You do not know these people.Jamies, like a lot of other pro athletes- is a scumbag. And while you try and apply your moral high ground to Manziel it doesn't really hold up, because again all YOU care about is on the field performance. The fact is that Manziel was playing pretty well before he was benched for no reason other than a coach's pride.

Playing pretty well? He had a lot of yards in a blowout loss to Pittsburgh and led them to....9 points. Whoa. That's great.And if Manziel was the talent that Winston is and was as dedicated to learning as Winston is, the Browns would no doubt cut him more slack. Do you know why the Cowboys cut Christian Michael but kept Greg Hardy? Both are distractions. Both are locker room cancers. It's simple. Because Greg Hardy is one of the league's best pass rushers and CMike has never been good enough to even get major playing time. Yes, it's a sad fact that you get a longer leash if you're a better player. I don't make the rules. But they've been around forever. The fact that Manziel was specifically told not to be out acting like a frat boy over the bye week, but simply couldn't resist, PLUS came back and flat out lied to his coach, tells you all you need to know about the guy. That doesn't cut it when your career high point is throwing for 300 yards in a 21 point loss.
Winston is a much better QB now and as a prospect. If I'm drafting a human being though, I'll take the frat boy over the rapist.You are trying to have it both ways.. On one had you are condemning a player for not doing things off the field that you agree with, while at the same time adulating or at least condoning others (and far larger dirtbags) because they can play.

In your world personal condemnation only comes if you are not excelling on the field, which is why you supporting Pettine's crusade for righteousness is just asinine.
I still don't like Winston off the field. I think he's a bozo. Not sure I'm buying the whole rape thing though. I don't know enough about it to condemn him for it. I absolutely hate Greg hardy. And he's a great player. So your theory is wrong. I'm just trying to explain to you how it works on the pro level. If you arent a great player, you are going to get very little slack with your conduct. It's really that simple.

Right, I get that you (and many) attribute on field success as some kind of barometer for how good of a person someone is outside of their sporting life. You do not know these people.Jamies, like a lot of other pro athletes- is a scumbag. And while you try and apply your moral high ground to Manziel it doesn't really hold up, because again all YOU care about is on the field performance. The fact is that Manziel was playing pretty well before he was benched for no reason other than a coach's pride.

Playing pretty well? He had a lot of yards in a blowout loss to Pittsburgh and led them to....9 points. Whoa. That's great.And if Manziel was the talent that Winston is and was as dedicated to learning as Winston is, the Browns would no doubt cut him more slack. Do you know why the Cowboys cut Christian Michael but kept Greg Hardy? Both are distractions. Both are locker room cancers. It's simple. Because Greg Hardy is one of the league's best pass rushers and CMike has never been good enough to even get major playing time. Yes, it's a sad fact that you get a longer leash if you're a better player. I don't make the rules. But they've been around forever. The fact that Manziel was specifically told not to be out acting like a frat boy over the bye week, but simply couldn't resist, PLUS came back and flat out lied to his coach, tells you all you need to know about the guy. That doesn't cut it when your career high point is throwing for 300 yards in a 21 point loss.
Winston is a much better QB now and as a prospect. If I'm drafting a human being though, I'll take the frat boy over the rapist.You are trying to have it both ways.. On one had you are condemning a player for not doing things off the field that you agree with, while at the same time adulating or at least condoning others (and far larger dirtbags) because they can play.

I still don't like Winston off the field. I think he's a bozo. Not sure I'm buying the whole rape thing though. I don't know enough about it to condemn him for it. I absolutely hate Greg hardy. And he's a great player. So your theory is wrong. I'm just trying to explain to you how it works on the pro level. If you arent a great player, you are going to get very little slack with your conduct. It's really that simple.
Funny how you aren't "buying" the rape thing, but are able to real off a list of frivilous things Johnny Manziel has done going back to when he was a teenager. Look man, you clearly have a personal issue with him that is beyond football.

You started this exchange off by stating your distain for players who think they are above the rules, and lauded Pettine for having morals. At this point in the exchange you have proved my point, that there are no morals in football and its a business.

The correct business move is to see what you have with Manziel, who has been bad to underwhelming to decent with flashes in a not very large sample set. Taking into account that most talent evaluators thought he'd have to develop his game it shouldn't be a surprise that he hasn't lit it up in 6 or 7 (??) games he's played. He's showed some degree of promise, something that is wholly lacking with the Browns.

I still applaud Petine's decision and the way he's holding him accountable. One day, Manziel might thank him for that. He may be bagging groceries by then, but he'll finally get it that his coach did what no other authority figure in his life ever did.

I still applaud Petine's decision and the way he's holding him accountable. One day, Manziel might thank him for that. He may be bagging groceries by then, but he'll finally get it that his coach did what no other authority figure in his life ever did.
Manziel will be crushing life beyond the NFL even if he doesn't pan out as a QB. Pettine is a loser who will need to find work in a few weeks. Manziel is laughing at Pettine, along with most of the team likely.

Manziel will be crushing life beyond the NFL even if he doesn't pan out as a QB. Pettine is a loser who will need to find work in a few weeks. Manziel is laughing at Pettine, along with most of the team likely.
yeah yeah. We all know that Johnny daddy is an oil tycoon. He'll be just fine. If that means crushing life, then I guess he will be.

I love how this thread has become a referendum on partying. In most cases the rules are pretty simple. Play great and you can do just about whatever you want off the field. Play poorly or mediocre, and most coaches have very little tolerance for off the field issues.
well said

The Browns are idiots. Get over thew whole ego BS, play the kid, and then trade or cut him. I feel bad for Browns fans.

I'm guessing you're either Manziel or his cousin or something.Go watch film Johnny.

You can short change Manziel's improved play and conclude that he isn't any good. Fair enough. But the Browns are an NFL team with a 1st round pick invested and have been completely incompetent in every aspect of the organization. You have to see what you have with Manziel. It's a business decision, not a personal one as Pettine (which you laud) has made it.
Exactly. You are doing NOTHING but wasting game time playing Davis. It's moronic. It is... The Browns.

Crazy thought here... What if Austin Davis is actually really good and has a chance to be the franchise qb? Maybe it's less about punishing Johnny and more about recognizing who the more talented player is. Reminds me more of when Russell Wilson started over big money signing Matt Flynn. Or cousins over rg3. Forget where guys were drafted or how much they are getting paid, you put the guy in who has the best ability to win. Davis looked good last year in St. Louis and showed pretty well on Monday night. I think it's the right move.

Crazy thought here... What if Austin Davis is actually really good and has a chance to be the franchise qb? Maybe it's less about punishing Johnny and more about recognizing who the more talented player is. Reminds me more of when Russell Wilson started over big money signing Matt Flynn. Or cousins over rg3. Forget where guys were drafted or how much they are getting paid, you put the guy in who has the best ability to win. Davis looked good last year in St. Louis and showed pretty well on Monday night. I think it's the right move.
his numbers under pressure are pretty terrible.

Weird. You call him a mental midget and unintelligent. When he might simply be an addict. Plenty of really really bright addicts. Bizarre that you are mixing the two issues together.

Weird. You call him a mental midget and unintelligent. When he might simply be an addict. Plenty of really really bright addicts. Bizarre that you are mixing the two issues together.
I'[m not mixing the two. I realize there's a difference. Manziel was out boozing (and then lied about it) the week after finally achieving his dream and being named the starter. After being specifically instructed not to. He's unintelligent.

Another thing: Mike Pettine being a bad coach and Johnny Manziel being a bad QB are not mutually exclusive. Both can (and appear to) be true. So let's stop with the "Johnny's a victim because he plays for a bad coach" or "Pettine's hands are tied because Johnny is such an #####". Both of them appear to be over their heads at the NFL level.

Now some of you will say we won't know if Johnny is over his head until he gets his chance. Well, part of succeeding in life is doing the things you need to do to get a chance. Johnny hasn't done those things yet.

Another thing: Mike Pettine being a bad coach and Johnny Manziel being a bad QB are not mutually exclusive. Both can (and appear to) be true. So let's stop with the "Johnny's a victim because he plays for a bad coach" or "Pettine's hands are tied because Johnny is such an #####". Both of them appear to be over their heads at the NFL level.

Now some of you will say we won't know if Johnny is over his head until he gets his chance. Well, part of succeeding in life is doing the things you need to do to get a chance. Johnny hasn't done those things yet.
I think Pettine has been using Johnny to keep attention off his failing defense, undisciplined team, and uncanny ability to find ways to lose games. To some degree it's worked.

Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins weren't failed starters signed off waivers.

I have been defending Johnny ITT, but not for once second do I think that Pettine has impeded his ability on the field other than keeping him off it of it for ego and frivolous reasons. At least not anymore than what Pettine is doing to effect the whole team's performance in being bad as a HC. I agree with MAC_32, Pettine is doing this stuff to distract from his piss poor performance.

Also, I realize that Manziel may not be a very good QB, and for a while it looked like he was over his head in the NFL. His most recent play, he looked a lot more composed (relative) and seemed to be improving, which is what you want to see from a prospect that you invested high draft capital in. If you take away his name and persona, that is what he is- a prospect. That was true when they drafted him, and that is true now. You have to play the kid.

I'[m not mixing the two. I realize there's a difference. Manziel was out boozing (and then lied about it) the week after finally achieving his dream and being named the starter. After being specifically instructed not to. He's unintelligent.
You are mixing the two. You're assuming it means he is dumb. But he might be simply an addict. That is the behavior of an addict. I know plenty of really, really bright people who have done very similar things as Manziel.

You are mixing the two. You're assuming it means he is dumb. But he might be simply an addict. That is the behavior of an addict. I know plenty of really, really bright people who have done very similar things as Manziel.
What a convenient crutch. Ok, so he's an addict instead of a moron and a liar. Either way, Cleveland is wise to cut bait.

What a convenient crutch. Ok, so he's an addict instead of a moron and a liar. Either way, Cleveland is wise to cut bait.
I'd agree that the addict vs screw-up argument is kind of silly. I just don't think that his partying ways contribute to his on field performance as much as people want to believe. I feel like we are too quick to say that he's not getting his work in because he enjoys his free time. For all we know he could be hitting the books harder than the liquor. And all the film/book study or whatever else he should be doing as a "professional" during a weekend night on a bye week pale in comparison to on the field experience/evaluation.

I'd ask this question: what difference does it really make, to the Browns, if/how well Manziel can actually play QB? They already know what they have: an immature, unprofessional, unfocused, possible addict that they can't trust.

If they give him some meaningless starts here at the end of 2015, and he plays well, then what? Is the trust going to be magically re-established? Are they suddenly going to feel comfortable with him being the starting QB and the face of the franchise?

If the answer is no (and I think that it is), then there's no more "seeing what you have" left to do.

JNB: I would cut him too, for whichever reason you prefer.
I'd cut him for neither of those reasons. I'd cut him because he's not a good quarterback and he's more of a distraction than a help. Real simple.
I'd cut him for all 3 reasons. :shrug:
The good thing is, the Browns don't need to list a reason. They can just cut him. Although they won't have to. Dallas will actually give them a draft pick for him.

Users who are viewing this thread