What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (2 Viewers)

Manziel is getting the start this week.. So what did Pettine prove?
Well, Frat Boy missed a Monday night start in front of the entire country. That had to hurt. And then watched Austin Davis step ahead of him on the depth chart and start this week. It's not about what Petine 'proved', it's about what Manziel 'learned'. I guess that remains to be seen. If he can somehow avoid any parties this week and keep his hands off the bottle, then maybe Petine accomplished what he set out to do.

Well, Frat Boy missed a Monday night start in front of the entire country. That had to hurt. And then watched Austin Davis step ahead of him on the depth chart and start this week. It's not about what Petine 'proved', it's about what Manziel 'learned'. I guess that remains to be seen. If he can somehow avoid any parties this week and keep his hands off the bottle, then maybe Petine accomplished what he set out to do.
But I thought this was about integrity, what's changed in the last week that should allow Manziel to start this week?

So brave.

But I thought this was about integrity, what's changed in the last week that should allow Manziel to start this week?

So brave.
Petine never once said that Manziel wasn't going to play again. He named him starter for the rest of the year, Manziel went partying and lied to his coach, Petine named McCown the starter and benched JM, two games later, he's giving him another chance. It's pretty easy to follow. Petine didn't cut him.

Pettine proved that he is petty and has no backbone. He should either bench him for the ROS or should of never benched him at all.

I can't wait for this clown to get fired, hopefully the hammer drops today as some reports are hinting.

So brave.
What changed is that Johnny stayed out of trouble for a week.

Pettine proved that he is petty and has no backbone. He should either bench him for the ROS or should of never benched him at all.

I can't wait for this clown to get fired, hopefully the hammer drops today as some reports are hinting.
If he had no backbone, he'd have caved when McCown got hurt last Monday night. He has plenty of backbone., You just aren't intelligent enough to see it. You want him to treat little Frat Boy the same way his father and all of his coaches have all of his life. Cris Carter still says that Buddy Ryan saved his career and possibly his life when he cut him from the Eagles. Maybe one day, Manziel will thank Petine.

If he had no backbone, he'd have caved when McCown got hurt last Monday night. He has plenty of backbone., You just aren't intelligent enough to see it. You want him to treat little Frat Boy the same way his father and all of his coaches have all of his life. Cris Carter still says that Buddy Ryan saved his career and possibly his life when he cut him from the Eagles. Maybe one day, Manziel will thank Petine.
He may or may not have a backbone, but one thing is for sure.. He will not have a job for much longer.

How'd that work out for you Mike?

Last edited by a moderator:

He may or may not have a backbone, but one thing is for sure.. He will not have a job for much longer.How'd that work out for you Mike?
If Manziel is the savior that you think he is, then there is still time for Pettine to save his job.

He may or may not have a backbone, but one thing is for sure.. He will not have a job for much longer.

How'd that work out for you Mike?
That has nothing to do with his handling of Manziel. That's because Cleveland is a joke franchise. Bellichick couldn't even win there.

He may or may not have a backbone, but one thing is for sure.. He will not have a job for much longer.How'd that work out for you Mike?
If Manziel is the savior that you think he is, then there is still time for Pettine to save his job.
I see the Browns closing out 4-0, with Manziel playing at an all-pro level. Just ask Tone Loc

The two situations aren't at all analogous except that alcohol was in some way involved. Buddy Ryan never publicly shamed his player in an effort to come off like a no nonsense guy. Pettine went out of his way to embarrass Manziel, delving into details about private player/coach conversations. He made a decision to scold and sit him not for the player's sake but for his own. Now only a few weeks later he's going to reverse course? Pathetic. In the process he lost the veterans in the locker room and likely his job. Hopefully Pettine can learn from this mess and turn his career around.

if Pettine is fired he will have a new job in 5 minutes and continue to be paid as a head coach for the next 3 years.

so i'm sure it'll work out just fine for him.

i swear you gotta be Manziel's closet boyfriend or something the way you're carrying on.

The two situations aren't at all analogous except that alcohol was in some way involved. Buddy Ryan never publicly shamed his player in an effort to come off like a no nonsense guy. Pettine went out of his way to embarrass Manziel, delving into details about private player/coach conversations. He made a decision to scold and sit him not for the player's sake but for his own. Now only a few weeks later he's going to reverse course? Pathetic. In the process he lost the veterans in the locker room and likely his job. Hopefully Pettine can learn from this mess and turn his career around.
Just curious, you know the bolded how?

Also, a pro football talk link above says that Johnny has lost the trust of his team. That would indicate that the players would be on board with Pettine's benching of Manziel.

Also, a pro football talk link above says that Johnny has lost the trust of his team. That would indicate that the players would be on board with Pettine's benching of Manziel.
If you choose to believe that rubbish.

Hey, they at least cite a source. I have no idea where Willie Nelson is getting his info.

What a bunch of crap. You and Tone Loc have been whining like school girls for the past two weeks. Someone in Frat Boy's life had to stand up and finally discipline this kid. Petine's players should be proud and I bet they are. They're all out there working hard and trying to turn things around and on the bye week, they guy who's named starter decides he needs to go out boozing with his little buddies again. There is no way he's lost the veterans. I bet the veterans want to take Manziel by the throat and jack him up against a wall to tell him to grow the F up. Manziel deserved to be embarrassed. What 23 year old totally disregards what his coach tells him, then lies right to his face when he's busted?

Manziel isn't as good as McCown. That has been obvious watching the two play. But he's better than Davis, which is also obvious. He's probably making the move out of respect for the veterans. To give them a chance to be competitive.

Hey, they at least cite a source. I have no idea where Willie Nelson is getting his info.
There's been multiple reports by beat writers. Reporters tweeting things aren't going well in the locker room. Rotoworld had a tweet by a beat writer and comment about it yesterday. Stuff like this:

Brian Hartline declined to comment following the Browns' 37-3 loss to the Bengals because he wants "to keep a job."
The wheels seem to be falling off in Cleveland after Mike Pettine stubbornly went with an overmatched Austin Davis over an improving Johnny Manziel because the latter lied to them about a party video. The offense deserved some form of punishment, but not at the cost of the entire team. It sounds like Pettine may have lost the locker room with the decision, and it looks likely he will be looking for work this January.

"Lost the locker room" is such an overused, BS statement. Chip Kelly lost the locker room last week and they turned around beat New England this week. Chip must have found the locker room again.

I'm sure Petine was praying that Davis would play a good game. He'd love nothing more than to wash his hands of Manziel altogether. Manziel is like Tebow. Bad quarterback, but popular with fans. That creates problems. Davis was a failure. And unfortunately, their best quarterback is injured. So it's Manziel time again. Until he screws it up once more.

if Pettine is fired he will have a new job in 5 minutes and continue to be paid as a head coach for the next 3 years.

so i'm sure it'll work out just fine for him.

i swear you gotta be Manziel's closet boyfriend or something the way you're carrying on.
Sure, he swindled the Browns out of a lot of money, that doesn't mean this stint hasn't killed his chances head gig somewhere else. He's lost 15 of 17 games, his teams haven't looked at all prepared, clock management has been horrible. I'm no fan of Manziel but he got a raw deal here from a guy who's clearly in way over his head.

Yeah, I 'can't wait' for Pettine to get fired. Then they can get a real coach in there. Someone that will get the most out of all that talent the Browns have acquired.

This is what the article said: "Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Manziel has once again squandered the trust of teammates."

We have different opinions on what we consider as citing a source.

That's PFT click BS to me. I don't even think that's worth a tweet, less yet trying to turn it into an article.

People are confusing my analysis of the situation with a blind support for Manziel as a great QB. I've made reasoned posts with regard to how good (or bad) Manziel has been.

It's quite entertaining to see how much JuniorNB hates Manziel, he's so aggro, incessantly name calling, using ad hominem attacks et al. Lighten up francis.

Yeah, I 'can't wait' for Pettine to get fired. Then they can get a real coach in there. Someone that will get the most out of all that talent the Browns have acquired.
Obviously Farmer deserves some blame. He and Pettine have almost completely botched their drafts. A new coach (and GM) will at least ensure a better shot on draft day. The team is going to have a high pick and cap space. A new coach may not be able to turn it around with what they have on the roster now but he'll be able to move the franchise in the right direction during the off season.

Still don't get how people have concluded JFF is a lost cause. We have 3 QBs on the roster

QB A - 6'2 220 26yo 0-2 W/L QB rating 29.0

QB B - 6'0 210 23yo 1-3 W/L QB rating 54.2 **

QB C - 6'4 218 36yo - 1-4 W/L QB rating 53.9

**parties like a rock star

Still don't get how people have concluded JFF is a lost cause. We have 3 QBs on the roster

He isn't. But people wanna hate. I don't think he'll ever be elite, but he has a chance to be a solid starter if he continues to progress and is in a situation where he's supported. Only time will tell.

People are confusing my analysis of the situation with a blind support for Manziel as a great QB. I've made reasoned posts with regard to how good (or bad) Manziel has been.

It's quite entertaining to see how much JuniorNB hates Manziel, he's so aggro, incessantly name calling, using ad hominem attacks et al. Lighten up francis.
Manziel is the very type of person I could never stand. Born on third base and thinks he hit a triple. Little rich kid of an oil tycoon who thinks he's above the rules everywhere he goes. Probably has been the exact same since he was about ten. I wouldn't use the word 'hate'. That's reserved for guys like Greg Hardy. But I certainly hope he fails.

As for Petine, he was doomed from the start. As will the next guy be. There are no blue chip quarterbacks coming out this year. So whoever they end up hiring is going to know McCown is his best quarterback, but get pressure from fans and upstairs to play Manziel. Unless they're smart enough to cut him.

Manziel is the very type of person I could never stand. Born on third base and thinks he hit a triple. Little rich kid of an oil tycoon who thinks he's above the rules everywhere he goes. Probably has been the exact same since he was about ten. I wouldn't use the word 'hate'. That's reserved for guys like Greg Hardy. But I certainly hope he fails.

As for Petine, he was doomed from the start. As will the next guy be. There are no blue chip quarterbacks coming out this year. So whoever they end up hiring is going to know McCown is his best quarterback, but get pressure from fans and upstairs to play Manziel. Unless they're smart enough to cut him.
What facts support the bolded?

How exactly was he born on third base from a football perspective? Did his dad buy him the heisman and pay the Browns to draft him? He was a pretty accomplished college QB with a ton of charisma, hence him becoming a lightning rod for attention.

What rules is he above? Other than some ridiculous "grounding" that Pettine imposed?

How exactly was he born on third base from a football perspective? Did his dad buy him the heisman and pay the Browns to draft him? He was a pretty accomplished college QB with a ton of charisma, hence him becoming a lightning rod for attention.

What rules is he above? Other than some ridiculous "grounding" that Pettine imposed?
I'm talking about life. Not football. Unfortunately, his attitude and character reflect on the football field and in the locker room. He's a spoiled rich kid. And at 23, he's still that same kid.

I'm talking about life. Not football. Unfortunately, his attitude and character reflect on the football field and in the locker room. He's a spoiled rich kid. And at 23, he's still that same kid.
Do you know how many spoiled rich kids I grew up with that turned out to be worthless drug addicts and/or squanders away opportunities?

His families financials have zero to do with him as a football player. Can we talk about football now, instead of the personal life which you know nothing about?

Do you know how many spoiled rich kids I grew up with that turned out to be worthless drug addicts and/or squanders away opportunities?

His families financials have zero to do with him as a football player. Can we talk about football now, instead of the personal life which you know nothing about?
Ok, let's talk football. His NFL crowning achievement is throwing for 300 yards against a horrible Pittsburgh defense in a blowout, and leading his team to 9 measly points. That was his best game ever. And now this week, he gets the 49ers. At home. Horrible defense that's 27th against the pass. No excuses.

Ok, let's talk football. His NFL crowning achievement is throwing for 300 yards against a horrible Pittsburgh defense in a blowout, and leading his team to 9 measly points. That was his best game ever. And now this week, he gets the 49ers. At home. Horrible defense that's 27th against the pass. No excuses.
Have you seen the receivers on this team?

He's started 5 games in his career man.. Not many QBs have an impressive resume 5 games in, and even Winston (who is much better) didn't look all that good after 5 games. Also his "crowing achievement" was on the road, against a team that kept the lid on Dalton & Co. the week prior and at times have played really well (like against Arizona).

What would be a stat line that you'd consider good?

2. I'm not going to dwell on this: Johnny Manziel should play the last four games. Put him in there and get it over with ... IT being the mystery around Manziel. Does he have enough talent to be a starter? Does he have the self discipline? I happen to think the answer to both questions is ... No. But I also believe having him on the bench serves no purpose.

3. Please don't tell me about team morale and messages to player. The Browns have consistently been blown out of games. Their average margin of defeat is 15 points. I repeat, 15 points!!! That's two touchdowns and some extra points, etc.

5. I thought Austin Davis looked prepared. He was gritty. He kept his team organized. But in the end, he put three points on the board. The Browns were never in the Cincinnati red zone. I repeat, the Browns were NEVER IN THE CINCINNATI RED ZONE! Their deepest drive ended at the Bengals 29-yard-line. Davis has a future in the NFL as a backup. He probably could be effective as a game manager with a very good team.

6. But that's why I circle back to Manziel. Davis is under contract for the next two years. They can keep him around. The Browns need to decide if Manziel is worth developing as a starter for 2016, or if they should trade him after the season.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2015/12/cleveland_browns_postgame_scri_8.html#incart_river_index

- Hartline was probably pssd about a lot of things, no one knows if he was upset about the Manziel benching or if others were.

But anyway, so fine let's see Manziel. What we have seen so far:

Vs CIN 2014, L 0-30 - 10/18/80/0/2 + 5/13/0 ru. - Austin Davis just did miles better than this.

Vs TEN 2015, W 28-14 - 8/15/172/2/0 + 3/1/0 ru. - This may actually be his best game, not the PIT game, but 110 yards came on 2 deep bomb TDs to Benjamin. That depends on how you look at it, two beautiful deep passes or 62 yards passing for the whole rest of the game.

@CIN 2015, L 10-31 - 15/33/168/1/0 + 4/31/0 ru.

@PIT 2015, L 9-30 - 33/45/372/1/1 + 3/17/0

Austin Davis: Vs CIN, L 3-37 - 25/38/230/0/1 + 3/4/0 ru.

13. Vs SF

14. @ SEA - he's gonna get killed

15. @KC - he'll get killed twice

16. Vs PIT

Last 3 weeks Quarterbacks against San Francisco

Jay Cutler 13 18 31 202 0 1 4 10 0 10.10

Carson Palmer 12 24 40 271 0 0 3 6 1 20.15

Drew Stanton 12 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.00 Russell Wilson 11 24 29 260 3

That's an average of 244 yards , 1 touchdown, and 1/3 interception

It didn't format right but not real impressive for the qb's except for just 1 interception in 3 games. Niners are much better now than earlier in the season.

Have you seen the Rams? The Eagles? What's left in San Diego? In New England? In San Francisco? At what point can we judge Manziel on how he's performing?

Junior.. I don't think Manziel could ever win your eye, you hate him too much.

Could you post a realistic stat line that you'd consider "good"

Same excuse applies to Davis, who even lost Benjamin, vs a top shelf defense, right?

Yes, same applies to Davis.

What would be a stat line that you'd consider good?
Against the 27th ranked pass defense this week? I'd like to see 60%+ completion percentage. More touchdowns than interceptions. For him to look at his second option instead of just his first then taking off. And most importantly, a win.

Have you seen the Rams? The Eagles? What's left in San Diego? In New England? In San Francisco? At what point can we judge Manziel on how he's performing?
Just trying to use facts here.

QB rating

Foles - 30.0

Bradford - 37.1

Rivers - 61.8

Brady - 64.5

Kaepernick - 47.1

Manziel - 54.2

Users who are viewing this thread