What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (4 Viewers)

I'm talking about life. Not football. Unfortunately, his attitude and character reflect on the football field and in the locker room. He's a spoiled rich kid. And at 23, he's still that same kid.
Do you know how many spoiled rich kids I grew up with that turned out to be worthless drug addicts and/or squanders away opportunities?

His families financials have zero to do with him as a football player. Can we talk about football now, instead of the personal life which you know nothing about?
Ok, let's talk football. His NFL crowning achievement is throwing for 300 yards against a horrible Pittsburgh defense in a blowout, and leading his team to 9 measly points. That was his best game ever. And now this week, he gets the 49ers. At home. Horrible defense that's 27th against the pass. No excuses.
Have you seen the receivers on this team?
Have you seen the Rams? The Eagles? What's left in San Diego? In New England? In San Francisco? At what point can we judge Manziel on how he's performing?
Just trying to use facts here.

QB rating

Foles - 30.0

Bradford - 37.1

Rivers - 61.8

Brady - 64.5

Kaepernick - 47.1

Manziel - 54.2
And I'm just saying that he's now back under center and facing the 27th pass defense in the league. Time to put up or shut up. No more talk about the mean, nasty coach or his weak receivers. This is what a few of you have been clamoring for and he has his chance.

I'm talking about life. Not football. Unfortunately, his attitude and character reflect on the football field and in the locker room. He's a spoiled rich kid. And at 23, he's still that same kid.
Do you know how many spoiled rich kids I grew up with that turned out to be worthless drug addicts and/or squanders away opportunities?

His families financials have zero to do with him as a football player. Can we talk about football now, instead of the personal life which you know nothing about?
Ok, let's talk football. His NFL crowning achievement is throwing for 300 yards against a horrible Pittsburgh defense in a blowout, and leading his team to 9 measly points. That was his best game ever. And now this week, he gets the 49ers. At home. Horrible defense that's 27th against the pass. No excuses.
Have you seen the Rams? The Eagles? What's left in San Diego? In New England? In San Francisco? At what point can we judge Manziel on how he's performing?

QB rating

Foles - 30.0

Bradford - 37.1

Rivers - 61.8

Brady - 64.5

Kaepernick - 47.1

Manziel - 54.2
And I'm just saying that he's now back under center and facing the 27th pass defense in the league. Time to put up or shut up. No more talk about the mean, nasty coach or his weak receivers. This is what a few of you have been clamoring for and he has his chance.
Oh, thats all you're saying? I agree, lets see what he does over the next 4 games before we judge his NFL QB capabilities. :thumbup:

Last 6 games just one 300 yard passer and just one team had multiple touchdown passes against San Fran
Is this because teams are running the ball at will over the defense? I don't have the stats in front of me, but a serious question. Passing defense may be getting a boost from a solid rushing attack.

ETA: Did a quick search and found this:

SF Run Def ranked 27th, giving up an average of 165yds/game over the last three games

Avg Rushing yards given on the year is 125.

Doesn't sound like the Pass Defense is all that great, more like teams resolve to pound them throughout the game. They may pass to keep them honest, but not an up and coming defense from what I can see.

Last edited by a moderator:

QB rating

Foles - 30.0

Bradford - 37.1

Rivers - 61.8

Brady - 64.5

Kaepernick - 47.1

Manziel - 54.2
Oh, thats all you're saying? I agree, lets see what he does over the next 4 games before we judge his NFL QB capabilities. :thumbup:
Yeah, that's all I'm saying. I didn't ask for some outrageous yardage total or 4 touchdowns. Improve. Show he's not just treading water. If Pittsburgh was his best game, build on that. And most importantly let's see him stay off of TMZ the next few weeks.

What would be a stat line that you'd consider good?
Against the 27th ranked pass defense this week? I'd like to see 60%+ completion percentage. More touchdowns than interceptions. For him to look at his second option instead of just his first then taking off. And most importantly, a win.
FYI.. In his 3 starts this year he's completely exactly 60% of his passes with 4 TDs & 1 INT. He's also shown much better (still needs improving) at reading through progressions.

ETA: Also averaging 237.3 yds/game, for comparison Winston is averaging 239.8 yds/game

Last 6 games just one 300 yard passer and just one team had multiple touchdown passes against San Fran
Is this because teams are running the ball at will over the defense? I don't have the stats in front of me, but a serious question. Passing defense may be getting a boost from a solid rushing attack.
I don't have splits or anything, but on the season, they are 28th in total yards per game against at 395.1. 27th in passing yards against at 269.9. And 22nd worst at 3rd Down percentage against at 40%. And it's in Cleveland. Couldn't have picked a better game for him to comeback. Hopefully he watches some film this week andtakes this seriously.

Ok, let's talk football. His NFL crowning achievement is throwing for 300 yards against a horrible Pittsburgh defense in a blowout, and leading his team to 9 measly points. That was his best game ever. And now this week, he gets the 49ers. At home. Horrible defense that's 27th against the pass. No excuses.His families financials have zero to do with him as a football player. Can we talk about football now, instead of the personal life which you know nothing about?
Against the 27th ranked pass defense this week? I'd like to see 60%+ completion percentage. More touchdowns than interceptions. For him to look at his second option instead of just his first then taking off. And most importantly, a win.
Just taking a quick glance at team defensive stats.

Only 8 of the 32 NFL teams are allowing under 60% completion rates to opposing QBs and those defenses who aren't surrendering a 60% completion rate have a good pass rush which SF lacks.

If Manziel completes 60% of his passes against SF who is surrendering a 68.2% completion rate (3rd worst in the NFL), its not a great sign its below average to what they are giving up.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/position/defense

I think it would be better to frame it that Manziel does not come close to reaching a 60% completion rate and/or having a positive TD to INT ratio that it would have to considered a bad sign facing one of the worst pass defenses in the league.

A good game for Manziel would be 200 yards passing, 2 TDs, and not turning the ball over.

Cleveland needs for Manziel to be a good QB. The city deserves better than the team that is on the field now. The QB situation has been a joke.

Ok, let's talk football. His NFL crowning achievement is throwing for 300 yards against a horrible Pittsburgh defense in a blowout, and leading his team to 9 measly points. That was his best game ever. And now this week, he gets the 49ers. At home. Horrible defense that's 27th against the pass. No excuses.His families financials have zero to do with him as a football player. Can we talk about football now, instead of the personal life which you know nothing about?

Only 8 of the 32 NFL teams are allowing under 60% completion rates to opposing QBs and those defenses who aren't surrendering a 60% completion rate have a good pass rush which SF lacks.

If Manziel completes 60% of his passes against SF who is surrendering a 68.2% completion rate (3rd worst in the NFL), its not a great sign its below average to what they are giving up.

I think it would be better to frame it that Manziel does not come close to reaching a 60% completion rate and/or having a positive TD to INT ratio that it would have to considered a bad sign facing one of the worst pass defenses in the league.
I think he's terrible. I was setting the bar low.

I think he's terrible. I was setting the bar low.
I've asked you this a few times (and maybe I missed your answer) but what is this based on?

Junior, are you moving the bar now that the numbers don't align with your narrative?
60%, more touchdowns than interceptions, looking at more than just his first read before panicking and taking off, and a team win.

I'm changing nothing. Never moved the bar at all. You seem confused.

Junior, are you moving the bar now that the numbers don't align with your narrative?
60%, more touchdowns than interceptions, looking at more than just his first read before panicking and taking off, and a team win.

60% completion rate: check

More TDs than INTs: check

Better pocket presence: check

So you'd agree that he's been pretty good relatively?

ETA: Also is 1-2 (33%) as the starter, team is 1-9 (11%) without him.

I'm talking about his big second chance against San Francisco.

And, no. I don't think he's been pretty good. When you're crowning achievement is scoring 9 points in a game where your team gets destroyed, you have a helluva ways to go before anyone should ever use the term 'relatively good'. He has a very winnable game coming up. At home. If he can make it till Sunday without boozing, let's see how he does against the Niners.

I'm talking about his big second chance against San Francisco.

And, no. I don't think he's been pretty good. When you're crowning achievement is scoring 9 points in a game where your team gets destroyed, you have a helluva ways to go before anyone should ever use the term 'relatively good'. He has a very winnable game coming up. At home. If he can make it till Sunday without boozing, let's see how he does against the Niners.
I see, you are moving the bar. Got it.

Meeting expectations, but you think he's terrible? Are you applying for the head coaching position?
He's not typing with reason, he's typing with vitriol. Lets be honest here, if JFF went out and finished the year 3-1, passing for ~250 yds with 2:1 TD to INT ratio he'd still be in here hating all over the place.

He's started 5 games in his career man.. Not many QBs have an impressive resume 5 games in, and even Winston (who is much better) didn't look all that good after 5 games. Also his "crowing achievement" was on the road, against a team that kept the lid on Dalton & Co. the week prior and at times have played really well (like against Arizona).

How am I moving the bar? I was never talking about his past statistics. I said he's has a perfect opponent to come back against. They're 27th in the league against the pass, and Manziel gets to play at home. You said "What would be a stat line that you'd consider good?". I said 60% completions, more TDs than interceptions, going through his progressions before instinctually talking off, and getting a victory. Please show me where I 'moved the bar'. I've said the same thing four time snow.

WHOOSH!

Meeting expectations, but you think he's terrible? Are you applying for the head coaching position?
He's not typing with reason, he's typing with vitriol. Lets be honest here, if JFF went out and finished the year 3-1, passing for ~250 yds with 2:1 TD to INT ratio he'd still be in here hating all over the place.
Wrong. That would be improvement. And would probably get him brought back next season. Assuming he stays out of trouble.

Wrong. That would be improvement. And would probably get him brought back next season. Assuming he stays out of trouble.
But he's already doing that this season (save for 1-2 record) and you think he sucks? What is the difference?

SF's pass defense is terrible but some other things to consider to put things into a finer context.

BROWNS INJURED WR CORPS

Browns WR corps has been devastated by injury. They were without WR Andrew Hawkins and WR Taylor Gabriel yesterday and had to activate practice squad WR Dareus Jennings who made his first NFL appearance in a regular season game but then they lost WR Travis Benjamin who was the only deep threat on the team AND they lost WR Marlin Moore. Oh and late in the game WR Brian Hartline also got hurt leaving Dareus Jennings as the ONLY HEALTHY WR on the team at one point (Hartline limped back into the game in the 4th quarter).

Hartline is hurting and probably isn't 100%. Benjamin might not play Sunday and if he does he may not be 100%. The coaches have only played WR Dwayne Bowe in one game but they might have to use him and they just re-signed WR Terrell Pryor but didn't activate him yesterday preffering to have 28 defenders to only 18 offensive players active which is mind boggling but back to point.

UPDATES:

Scott Petrak ct@ScottPetrak 21s21 seconds ago
#Browns CBs Joe Haden, Justin Gilbert and WRs Andrew Hawkins, Taylor Gabriel remain in concussion protocol

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot 56s56 seconds ago
#Browns WR Moore X-rays on ribs negative; WR Benjamin (shoulder) day to day; FB Malcolm Johnson (groin) could be serious

BROWNS TERRIBLE RUSHING ATTACK

The Browns also have the worst rushing attack in the league. They just don't run and when they do they are just bad.

BROWNS TERRIBLE DEFENSE

The defense sucks. The ONE WIN that Manziel had came against rookie QB Marcus Mariota who was making his 2nd NFL start and he looked bad. It was the only game the Browns defense actually had a pass rush. I don't think Blaine Gabbert is much better so that should work in favor of the defense.

-------------

I don't see how the coaches can sit Dwayne Bowe. He 'should' be an improvement over smurph WRs Hawkins and Gabriel. That could benefit Manziel. The running game got 'somewhat' untracked yesterday with Crow so that should also help. Playing at home against the Niners who come east for the second week in a row helps. The defense facing Blaine Gabbert, one of the worst QBs they've faced, should also help Manziel.

So for as many issues starting against SF is the perfect storm for Johnny outside of losing starting OG Joel Bitonio many things work in his favor.

If he continues to start after Sunday then the sledding gets much harder facing, @SEA, @KC, and PIT. So nothing gets decided no matter how he performs Sunday.

tone1oc said:
JuniorNB said:
tone1oc said:
Random said:
But he's already doing that this season (save for 1-2 record) and you think he sucks? What is the difference?
He's completing 59% of his passes. The 5:2 TD/Int ratio is good. He's been sacked 14 times in 128 attempts. That's not good. He's also fumbled 5 times, losing three of them. That's not good. That's the kind of thing that happens when you panic and stop going through your progressions. Which comes from not being football smart. He doesn't see his first progression get open, and he pulls the ball down and creates a broken play. This is where the sacks and fumbles are coming from. Studying film and learning the art of quarterbacking, instead of spending his free time with a bottle of Bacardi in his hand and listening to the latest techno, is how that can be accomplished. THAT is what Petine (and whoever his next coach) is looking for.

I'll be interested to see how he does in these four games. Maybe he can change my mind.

The bottom line for me is that a lot of people see a bad team, a franchise that is setting the benchmark for futility and amidst this, you see a guy in Manziel who's just in way too good a mood and having way more fun than he should be. Peyton Manning wouldn't be walking around with a ####-eating grin on his face in this situation. Tom Brady would be acting like there'd been a death in the family. Russell Wilson wouldn't be partying and flashing money signs or saying he's "blessed".

That's what people want. They want him to carry himself like a guy who's done very little, proved nothing and is (metaphorically speaking) the sales manager for a company that is bottom quartile in sales versus its competition. In other words, wipe that grin off his face and at least pretend he's miserable about it all.

The bottom line for me is that a lot of people see a bad team, a franchise that is setting the benchmark for futility and amidst this, you see a guy in Manziel who's just in way too good a mood and having way more fun than he should be. Peyton Manning wouldn't be walking around with a ####-eating grin on his face in this situation. Tom Brady would be acting like there'd been a death in the family. Russell Wilson wouldn't be partying and flashing money signs or saying he's "blessed".

That's what people want. They want him to carry himself like a guy who's done very little, proved nothing and is (metaphorically speaking) the sales manager for a company that is bottom quartile in sales versus its competition. In other words, wipe that grin off his face and at least pretend he's miserable about it all.
Like I've said all along, he's just an idiot who doesn't get it. He was in trouble for making money signing autographs on college. That's why he came off as a defiant, smug jerk when he'd do his dumb money signs. Once he went to rehab, he said he's leaving that money sign nonsense in the past. He finally gets named starter again after boozing and lying and blowing his last opportunity, and out of the thousands of possible pictures he could have chosen to post of himself on his birthday, he chose that one. He is never going to figure it out. He's never going to outgrow the need to thumb his nose at authority. And he's never going to be intelligent enough to stay in the league.

nb, take a step back dude. Its just not that big of deal. Its a twitter pic. He also posted one of his dog. Whats your psychoanalysis of that one?

So what does this do for Barnidge?
Pure luck? He could do something vs SF. If you watch Manziek it's totally up in the air what Manziel will do, he doesn't follow reads or the gameplan. Vs Seattle & KC, no thanks. I'd like Barnidge better if Benjamin is out but it looks like he will play. Duke's & Crowell's value is likely gone. Only player IMO with a real chance is Benjamin who could get the deep TD.

nb, take a step back dude. Its just not that big of deal. Its a twitter pic. He also posted one of his dog. Whats your psychoanalysis of that one?
That was his agent telling him to post something to show that he's not out doing blow and boozing it up.

And I didn't call for another benching or any discipline. Not a big deal really. Just saying that it goes to show you that the guy still doesn't get it. Kind of like when Jameis Winston posted a picture of himself eating crab legs after he got drafted. Not a big deal. But it was still a big F.U. to those who gave him crap because of his stealing.

Pettine proved that he is petty and has no backbone. He should either bench him for the ROS or should of never benched him at all.

I can't wait for this clown to get fired, hopefully the hammer drops today as some reports are hinting.
If he had no backbone, he'd have caved when McCown got hurt last Monday night. He has plenty of backbone., You just aren't intelligent enough to see it. You want him to treat little Frat Boy the same way his father and all of his coaches have all of his life. Cris Carter still says that Buddy Ryan saved his career and possibly his life when he cut him from the Eagles. Maybe one day, Manziel will thank Petine.
The two situations aren't at all analogous except that alcohol was in some way involved. Buddy Ryan never publicly shamed his player in an effort to come off like a no nonsense guy. Pettine went out of his way to embarrass Manziel, delving into details about private player/coach conversations. He made a decision to scold and sit him not for the player's sake but for his own. Now only a few weeks later he's going to reverse course? Pathetic. In the process he lost the veterans in the locker room and likely his job. Hopefully Pettine can learn from this mess and turn his career around.
What a bunch of crap. You and Tone Loc have been whining like school girls for the past two weeks. Someone in Frat Boy's life had to stand up and finally discipline this kid. Petine's players should be proud and I bet they are. They're all out there working hard and trying to turn things around and on the bye week, they guy who's named starter decides he needs to go out boozing with his little buddies again. There is no way he's lost the veterans. I bet the veterans want to take Manziel by the throat and jack him up against a wall to tell him to grow the F up. Manziel deserved to be embarrassed. What 23 year old totally disregards what his coach tells him, then lies right to his face when he's busted?

Manziel isn't as good as McCown. That has been obvious watching the two play. But he's better than Davis, which is also obvious. He's probably making the move out of respect for the veterans. To give them a chance to be competitive.
I would be willing to bet any amount of money that Manziel wasn't the only Browns starter that week to hit up a club of some sort and imbibe of a fermented beverage.

Pure luck? He could do something vs SF. If you watch Manziek it's totally up in the air what Manziel will do, he doesn't follow reads or the gameplan. Vs Seattle & KC, no thanks. I'd like Barnidge better if Benjamin is out but it looks like he will play. Duke's & Crowell's value is likely gone. Only player IMO with a real chance is Benjamin who could get the deep TD.
Agree on the above - as a Barnidge owner - when I've watched him in action he runs more of these quick straight routes over the middle and turns around quickly to "post" up the D. Manziel is too short and can't see him over the LOS and deliver the ball there easily. He needs to move out of the pocket and get throwing lanes. If they came up with the "Kubiak" play action rollouts with the tight end in the flat then maybe Barnidge would be really effective. But I haven't see that in the playbook for the Browns and you also need a running game to sell that play action something the Browns lack as well. Then there is the fact that Manziel just goes rogue all too often and then he looks way down field to Benjamin. He just can't throw across the field to Barnidge short as that is a recipe for INTs.

Should be good news for Travis Benjamin. He's not expected to miss any time per Ian Rappaport, and Manziel has hooked up with him 3-4 times on 40+ TDs.

Pettine proved that he is petty and has no backbone. He should either bench him for the ROS or should of never benched him at all.

I can't wait for this clown to get fired, hopefully the hammer drops today as some reports are hinting.
If he had no backbone, he'd have caved when McCown got hurt last Monday night. He has plenty of backbone., You just aren't intelligent enough to see it. You want him to treat little Frat Boy the same way his father and all of his coaches have all of his life. Cris Carter still says that Buddy Ryan saved his career and possibly his life when he cut him from the Eagles. Maybe one day, Manziel will thank Petine.
The two situations aren't at all analogous except that alcohol was in some way involved. Buddy Ryan never publicly shamed his player in an effort to come off like a no nonsense guy. Pettine went out of his way to embarrass Manziel, delving into details about private player/coach conversations. He made a decision to scold and sit him not for the player's sake but for his own. Now only a few weeks later he's going to reverse course? Pathetic. In the process he lost the veterans in the locker room and likely his job. Hopefully Pettine can learn from this mess and turn his career around.
What a bunch of crap. You and Tone Loc have been whining like school girls for the past two weeks. Someone in Frat Boy's life had to stand up and finally discipline this kid. Petine's players should be proud and I bet they are. They're all out there working hard and trying to turn things around and on the bye week, they guy who's named starter decides he needs to go out boozing with his little buddies again. There is no way he's lost the veterans. I bet the veterans want to take Manziel by the throat and jack him up against a wall to tell him to grow the F up. Manziel deserved to be embarrassed. What 23 year old totally disregards what his coach tells him, then lies right to his face when he's busted?

Manziel isn't as good as McCown. That has been obvious watching the two play. But he's better than Davis, which is also obvious. He's probably making the move out of respect for the veterans. To give them a chance to be competitive.
I would be willing to bet any amount of money that Manziel wasn't the only Browns starter that week to hit up a club of some sort and imbibe of a fermented beverage.
I would also bet that Josh Gordon wasn't the only Brown to drink alcohol the last time he got suspended for it. That's irrelevant.

Asked if the building is unified, Pettine said, "It's hard to be at this point. It's human nature. When things don't go well, everybody has a tendency to kind of bunker in and get into that mode. I think we all want what's best for the Cleveland Browns. we all have ideas on how to get it done, and we need to be collaborative and we need to make sure that we're picking the best ideas and pushing those agendas moving forward.

"I can't sit here and say, 'Absolutely, we're all on board, 100 percent.' That's not reality because when things don't go well, everybody has their opinions and their reasons why, but it's going to come down to a brutal self-assessment and to be able to have the strength to make tough decisions and trust them and move forward.''
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/12/browns_mike_pettine_your_build.html

- I think we can say absolutely that part of the conflict is over Manziel. Part of the beauty of this guy is the added disruption he has brought to what was already a dysfunctional situation.

Asked if the building is unified, Pettine said, "It's hard to be at this point. It's human nature. When things don't go well, everybody has a tendency to kind of bunker in and get into that mode. I think we all want what's best for the Cleveland Browns. we all have ideas on how to get it done, and we need to be collaborative and we need to make sure that we're picking the best ideas and pushing those agendas moving forward.

"I can't sit here and say, 'Absolutely, we're all on board, 100 percent.' That's not reality because when things don't go well, everybody has their opinions and their reasons why, but it's going to come down to a brutal self-assessment and to be able to have the strength to make tough decisions and trust them and move forward.''
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/12/browns_mike_pettine_your_build.html

- I think we can say absolutely that part of the conflict is over Manziel. Part of the beauty of this guy is the added disruption he has brought to what was already a dysfunctional situation.
And that will be anywhere he ends up. The Tebow-effect. But for the opposite reason.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Magic_Man said:
I am rolling with Barnidge. I really do not have a better option. Cleveland's running game stinks so they will have to throw the ball. Barnidge is the best receiver in Cleveland. Manziel does not really read defenses or throw the ball to where he should but he should throw a few Barnidges way.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Magic_Man said:
I am rolling with Barnidge. I really do not have a better option. Cleveland's running game stinks so they will have to throw the ball. Barnidge is the best receiver in Cleveland. Manziel does not really read defenses or throw the ball to where he should but he should throw a few Barnidges way.
I think Barnidge should still be ok. There are routes where he is the primary receiver. It's after that where the targets gets iffy. It kills Duke Johnson because all those dumpoffs become Manziel scrambles/sacks/or runs. But Benjamin and Barnidge should still be good plays against the 27th ranked pass defense.

JuniorNB,

You are setting it up where no matter what Manziel does this week it won't be enough. If he does well you will play the he only did it because it was against the 27th ranked defence. You will follow that up by let's see what he does vs a real defence in Seattle.

Users who are viewing this thread