Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sabertooth

The Keenan Allen Hype Train

Anybody notice KA's weekly ranking being awfully low this week at numerous sites around the net?

I've seen him ranked in the 40s and Vincent Brown much higher in 3 different places. The only explanation I can come up with is that the hack writers aren't watching the games. Or they already had their Week 7 rankings done before the Monday Night game.

Keep this phenomenon in mind the next time people lament about the shrinking information advantage in FF compared to a decade or more ago. It's true that it's harder to have an information advantage, and you get it from different sources and in smaller bites than before. But there are still times when it's possible to get a leg up on some of your competition.

I'll bet some of my league competitors didn't even know who Keenan Allen was when I picked him up a few weeks ago. And some owners who don't follow transactions in the league as closely as the others probably watched MNF and thought they should go pick up this surprisingly good-looking rookie receiver this week on waiv... oh, crap, he's already gone. I love that!

Don't let the "hack writers" influence you. Understand the few writers who are worth reading and consider their input, but you're better served by trusting yourself and proven Shark Pool posters. For the most part, the bigger the name of the sports organization, the worst their fantasy football input is. At least the Sunday pregame shows are no longer telling you to start Peyton Manning and Adrian Peterson.

I actually had two separate players in my league asking about my hail-mary play this week, and if it was because of Julio being out...apparently they were talking about KA

We needed a legitimate hype train to replace the David Wilson derailment.

Edited by ponchsox

I think, and I hope I am wrong, that Austin owners are going to be like Ingram owners...waiting, hoping, praying he comes around.

I think the better analogy is to Donte Hall or Devin Hester owners. You need more than open-field speed and quickness to be a good NFL WR.

Redraft ppr trade just went through. Allen and BJGE for D Martin. He's not worth this much is he?

Dynasty no way, but re-draft, ehh, who knows....maybe. Martin really has done nothing.

This season, more than any other in recent memory for me, was ALL about foresight and preemptively picking up players at the first hint that they could become relevant sometime in the future.

I was all over that strategy this year and while literally NO fantasy "experts" were touting Keenan Allen I picked him up. I even made a thread about him vs Vincent brown after his 5-80 performance when Malcolm Floyd went down. Most people in the beginning of the thread thought nothing of him. They had gates-royal-brown-woodhead-Allen as the pecking order.

The experts also talked about how rivers spreads the ball around blah blah blah.

I still picked him up. Dropped brown to do so.

I did the same with Ellington, Blackmon (picked him up after week 1 when some shmuck dropped him and held for dear life), Stacy, and Julius thomas.

Ff is ALL about grabbing the player before he breaks out not being reactionary. Now, as everyone catches up to reality and wants to grab Allen they think "that sob has him already?!? Wtf!"

I get irate emails all the time from my buddies. "Dude you are all over this league. Every time I go to add a guy I see that you added him already". I take that as a huge compliment.

I get irate emails all the time from my buddies. "Dude you are all over this league. Every time I go to add a guy I see that you added him already". I take that as a huge compliment.

Be careful when self-fellating, you might throw out your back.

• Like 1

Stop asking us who you should trade for noobs. Jesus.

This season, more than any other in recent memory for me, was ALL about foresight and preemptively picking up players at the first hint that they could become relevant sometime in the future.

I was all over that strategy this year and while literally NO fantasy "experts" were touting Keenan Allen I picked him up. I even made a thread about him vs Vincent brown after his 5-80 performance when Malcolm Floyd went down. Most people in the beginning of the thread thought nothing of him. They had gates-royal-brown-woodhead-Allen as the pecking order.

The experts also talked about how rivers spreads the ball around blah blah blah.

I still picked him up. Dropped brown to do so.

I did the same with Ellington, Blackmon (picked him up after week 1 when some shmuck dropped him and held for dear life), Stacy, and Julius thomas.

Ff is ALL about grabbing the player before he breaks out not being reactionary. Now, as everyone catches up to reality and wants to grab Allen they think "that sob has him already?!? Wtf!"

Wow.

If we pass the hat, could we get some moderation back around here?

Edited by Apple Jack
  • Like 1

Man the hype on this kid is ######ed. Dude has had 2 good games and people are making him out to be amazing. He's a WR3 at best. A true sign of a good WR is when you get double teamed and can still put up numbers. Will see what happens when teams start shadowing him and put a safety over top.

Be careful when self-fellating, you might throw out your back.

I know, I'm sorry dude. I'm just pretty proud of my fantasy performance so far this year lol

Man the hype on this kid is ######ed. Dude has had 2 good games and people are making him out to be amazing. He's a WR3 at best. A true sign of a good WR is when you get double teamed and can still put up numbers. Will see what happens when teams start shadowing him and put a safety over top.

Well thats good news! Because his td was against double coverage. Guess he is a good wr guys!

• Like 1

He beat double coverage on his TD vs. Indy. He was pressed all night. Maybe you should watch the games?

• Like 1

Guys, go easy on Bobby. He's right, Allen has only had 2 good games. And I don't know about your leagues, but all the owners in my league wait until a WR has at least 5 or 6 good games before putting in a waiver claim for them. :lol:

Edited by LittlePhatty
  • Like 1

I could be wrong but when he scored that TD I saw three defenders around him.

Christ the shark pool is so terrible.

This thread was golden when we were only three pages deep or so. The shark pool is still awesome, it's just once something like this gains traction it's sure to attract at least a handful of morons.

Edited by SameSongNDance

This thread was golden when we were only three pages deep or so. The shark pool is still awesome, it's just once something like this gains traction it's sure to attract at least a handful of morons.

You're part of the handful. Don't kid yourself.

He was double-teamed on his TD reception. He was double-teamed for his entire college career.

Redraft ppr trade just went through. Allen and BJGE for D Martin. He's not worth this much is he?[/quo

I'm more confident in Allen as a wr2 than Martin as my rb2

He was double-teamed on his TD reception. He was double-teamed for his entire college career.

Plus, the chargers have too many weapons spread out for the defense to start focusing too much on Allen.

:potkettle:

I really don't want to get in the middle and take sides but you are dead wrong on Same Song, this person has been a welcome addition for the last 2 seasons here. I see folks getting into it with you Keith, I would prefer to not argue with you but you have this person pegged all wrong.

Redraft ppr trade just went through. Allen and BJGE for D Martin. He's not worth this much is he?

Yea, I don't think Martin is worth that much either

:hifive:

I watched the MNF game again this morning, specifically to watch Keenan Allen. I came away more impressed. He's so smooth and makes everything look so easy that it's sometimes hard to appreciate all the little things that he does well. He's a natural route-runner who looks like a ten-year veteran rather than a rookie when it comes to avoiding all the little tells (turning his head, changing his gait, shifting his weight too early) that can telegraph his patterns to the DB. It's nothing super tricky; it's just very good basic footwork and fundamentals that most rookies don't have. He also plays bigger and uses his frame better than I remember from earlier in the season. He and Vincent Brown both have a wide catching radius, but I think it's clear that Allen is quicker and is the better overall athlete.

• Like 1

i traded away fitz for a RB upgrade to run with allen at my WR3... hope he keeps it up! was the SD media not hyping this guy... we got the Vincent Brown BS again this pre-season

i traded away fitz for a RB upgrade to run with allen at my WR3... hope he keeps it up! was the SD media not hyping this guy... we got the Vincent Brown BS again this pre-season

The Brown hype was recycled from the 2012 preseason and reports that Brown was to be the focal point of the Chargers passing attack, or something like that. I suppose many writers just kept that same opinion despite the influx of new talent.

BRILLIANT!

i have no idea what the colts safety was doing on that play i can't call that double coverage because the safety was kinda just running around like a rehtard

i have no idea what the colts safety was doing on that play i can't call that double coverage because the safety was kinda just running around like a rehtard

Allen had 2 defenders on him. While the ball was in the air, he made a great adjustment and made a great catch. A 3rd defender came over while the ball was in the air. So it wasn't exactly triple coverage, but it most assuredly was double coverage. Watch the video at 36 seconds. He has the DB shadowing him, with the safety having deep coverage. At 37 seconds, since Allen's the deepest man, the safety rolls towards him. This is when Rivers throws the ball, and Allen makes a great adjustment to beat both defenders and make the catch. Then, at 39 seconds, you see him make the catch, with the other safety coming towards him. He didn't beat 3 guys, but he made two look foolish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUy3xJ6O-NU

I watched the MNF game again this morning, specifically to watch Keenan Allen. I came away more impressed. He's so smooth and makes everything look so easy that it's sometimes hard to appreciate all the little things that he does well. He's a natural route-runner who looks like a ten-year veteran rather than a rookie when it comes to avoiding all the little tells (turning his head, changing his gait, shifting his weight too early) that can telegraph his patterns to the DB. It's nothing super tricky; it's just very good basic footwork and fundamentals that most rookies don't have. He also plays bigger and uses his frame better than I remember from earlier in the season. He and Vincent Brown both have a wide catching radius, but I think it's clear that Allen is quicker and is the better overall athlete.

He reminds me of a young Nat Moore, 70s/80s from the Miami Dolphins, helicopter spin on the Jets, you know him but perhaps others born after he retired might not know him as well. The footwork is kind of similar and the fact you brought it up, nice post MT.

I've been offered McFadden for Allen in a 12 team, .5 PPR and turned it down. It was kinda tempting but I need the WR3 more than a situational RB2.

I've been offered McFadden for Allen in a 12 team, .5 PPR and turned it down. It was kinda tempting but I need the WR3 more than a situational RB2.

You could have a WR1 playing in your WR3 slot. At least you have the last three weeks on average.

Edited by LawFitz

Way too early to be calling him a WR1. He's not reflecting that kind of status in the weekly rankings or top 200. Right now, his value is a solid WR2.

In the league I didn't own him, I offered Rice to a RB needy team and got shot down. Go figure.

I wouldn't call him a WR1 yet but he has to be a high ceiling WR2 at worst. We'll see what happens to him when defenses adjust but I like what I've seen so far.

I was surprised to see in dynasty rankings that deandre Hopkins and tavon austin above Keenan. In a rookie keeper league I dropped Hopkins for Allen. I'd rather have Allen as a keeper, do others have the same thought?

I think they'll both be good but I like the polished ability of Allen. Hopkins looks like a great red zone target.

Edited by Banger

Way too early to be calling him a WR1.

Fair enough, but assuming Keenan stays healthy, I have trouble naming 9-11 WRs I'd rather have right now for the ROS. I don't pay attention to media rankings in situations like this. They are always behind the 8 ball with emergent studs.

Way too early to be calling him a WR1. He's not reflecting that kind of status in the weekly rankings or top 200. Right now, his value is a solid WR2.

In the league I didn't own him, I offered Rice to a RB needy team and got shot down. Go figure.

:shrug: I. A league where we only have to start one RB but with 2 FLEX I'm benching Rice & starting Keenan

I love the guy but it is starting to get like the scene in Back to the Future when McFly suddenly is being asked to run for student body President at the dance after knocking out Biff.

I wish I had that 5-10 second clip of just that scene to play for some of these threads.

Stop asking us who you should trade for noobs. Jesus.

Someone traded Keenan for Jesus? Christ.

who cares about the weekly rankings??... isn't that why you read these forums to be ahead of the game, and all the rankings that most everyone in a competitive league is out there is looking at

I agree it is definitely a little early to call him a WR1.. like you said definitely a WR2 with three good games in a row, a pass happy offense, a lot of redzone looks, and a QB who has boasted about him and is looking his way early and often gives him that Danario Alexander & Vincent Jackson upside though

Edited by DeaLerZ

I agree it is definitely a little early to call him a WR1..

It's never too early if the pieces of the puzzle fit.

- new coach / emergent offense

- solid supporting cast, particularly at QB

- established synergy between said QB and new coach

- vacuum at WR1 on the team (speaking in NFL, not fantasy terms)

- talented new comer, with a chip on his shoulder

- seemingly soft upcoming schedule

Talent + Opportunity + Motivation = Success

Bottom line however, is this call depends very much on the Chargers being for real. If they are, then Keenan will be a fantasy WR1 ROS. But where you have doubt on that front, discount accordingly.

I agree it is definitely a little early to call him a WR1..

It's never too early if the pieces of the puzzle fit.

- new coach / emergent offense

- solid supporting cast, particularly at QB

- established synergy between said QB and new coach

- vacuum at WR1 on the team (speaking in NFL, not fantasy terms)

- talented new comer, with a chip on his shoulder

- seemingly soft upcoming schedule

Talent + Opportunity + Motivation = Success

Bottom line however, is this call depends very much on the Chargers being for real. If they are, then Keenan will be a fantasy WR1 ROS. But where you have doubt on that front, discount accordingly.

did you read the rest of my post or just pick one line and argue against it for fun???..

i own this guy in every league...and am incredibly high on him

Agreed on this guy's upside. I don't think he's the most talented guy in the world, but he's definitely a Philip Rivers type of Wide Receiver.

who cares about the weekly rankings??... isn't that why you read these forums to be ahead of the game, and all the rankings that most everyone in a competitive league is out there is looking at

I agree it is definitely a little early to call him a WR1.. like you said definitely a WR2 with three good games in a row, a pass happy offense, a lot of redzone looks, and a QB who has boasted about him and is looking his way early and often gives him that Danario Alexander & Vincent Jackson upside though

Sure isn't me. Pickup of the year so far.