What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Keenan Allen, CHI (2 Viewers)

In a keeper league where does Allen stand? What I'm wondering is if he continues on this road, where does he finish? top 10??
He didn't play in week 1 (or if he did, he didn't get any targets).

In weeks 2 & 3, he had a total of 4 targets for 30 yards.

In week 4, he became a starter. He's been top-10 since he became a starter.

Since that point, he has averaged 8.8 targets/game, and has caught 31 of those passes, for an average of 6.2 rec/game. He has also scored 3 TDs in those 5 games. His average YPR has been 16.0.

That works out to 6 catches, 99 yards, and .6 TD/game. Over a 16 game season, that would be 96 catches, 1584 yards, and 10 TDs.

For this season, if you pro-rate his numbers since he's been a starter (then add the 30 yards he had in weeks 1-3), he's on pace for:

81 catches, 1317 yards, and 8 TDs.

Those look like top-10 numbers to me.
Thank you so much for this!!I get to keep 3 players a year no matter what and since I have AJ Green and Marshall as a keeper, I needed to start thinking of my third. Last season my third keeper was Martin BUT now if I can go into a season with 3 top 10 WRs as my keepers, wow I'm way ahead of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got Josh Gordon and Keenan Allen in a league, and I can only keep one of them. I decided to stick with Allen and try and move Gordon. Originally it was cause Gordon could get me more and Allen would l cost less to keep, but I'm now thinking Allen will just outproduce Gordon outright. The battle with Vincent Brown is officially over, and Gates will be a year slower next year.
I have both and now view Allen higher.

I've got Josh Gordon and Keenan Allen in a league, and I can only keep one of them. I decided to stick with Allen and try and move Gordon. Originally it was cause Gordon could get me more and Allen would l cost less to keep, but I'm now thinking Allen will just outproduce Gordon outright. The battle with Vincent Brown is officially over, and Gates will be a year slower next year.
I have both and now view Allen higher.
I have both too, and Allen is higher for me as well. Gordon will likely be playing w/ a rookie QB next year, Allen will remain the top target in a very good offense.

Are we ready to call him a must start? I have Garcon and Allen and having trouble deciding between the two every week. This week I started Allen, which ended up being the right choice but it's very hard to choose each week.
Allen is a top-10 WR for ROS, I don't see Garcon as any better than maybe top-20.I'd start Allen over any WR not named Dez, Megatron, Green, Welker, or Marshall.
DT?
You could certainly make a case for DT & probably a few other guys, but I'd take Keenan Allen's consistency over a guy like DT any day of the week.

Does anybody who has been watching the Chargers and Allen weekly have any insight on how defenses are covering Allen. I'm curious if opponents have been or are starting to double him...I haven't been able to watch him yet. But I'm loving plugging him in each week.

Where do you rank Keenan in Dynasty going forward? Looking to trade him while his value is super high... I drafted both him and Patterson this yead... & though I like Pattersons YAC ability more... Allen is a good player, I just don't see him holding up as "superstar" potential.

Where do you rank Keenan in Dynasty going forward? Looking to trade him while his value is super high... I drafted both him and Patterson this yead... & though I like Pattersons YAC ability more... Allen is a good player, I just don't see him holding up as "superstar" potential.
Allen's value isn't 'super high' yet. I'd be holding him in dynasty.

Are we ready to call him a must start? I have Garcon and Allen and having trouble deciding between the two every week. This week I started Allen, which ended up being the right choice but it's very hard to choose each week.
Allen is a top-10 WR for ROS, I don't see Garcon as any better than maybe top-20.I'd start Allen over any WR not named Dez, Megatron, Green, Welker, or Marshall.
DT?
You could certainly make a case for DT & probably a few other guys, but I'd take Keenan Allen's consistency over a guy like DT any day of the week.
:lmao: you guys are out of control

Does anybody who has been watching the Chargers and Allen weekly have any insight on how defenses are covering Allen. I'm curious if opponents have been or are starting to double him...I haven't been able to watch him yet. But I'm loving plugging him in each week.
As long as Gates is healthy they really cant double Allen, and D's have to worry about covering Woodhead in the passing game too.

Very nervous about this weeks matchup and SDs conservative offense in general.
I wouldnt call it conservative, I would call it "ball control" they like to work the clock to keep that lousy defense off the field

I was surprised that Keenan didnt do better SD being down most of the game. When they targeted him he did well.

I doubt they fall way behind Miami this week.

I wouldnt call it conservative, I would call it "ball control" they like to work the clock to keep that lousy defense off the field

I was surprised that Keenan didnt do better SD being down most of the game. When they targeted him he did well.

agreed...which is why I could see a lot of Woodhead / Matthews chewing up the clock.

would you trade him and DMC for a top 4 pick in 2015s draft, and a 13-16 overall also?

would you trade him and DMC for a top 4 pick in 2015s draft, and a 13-16 overall also?
I wouldn't trade him straight up for the #4 pick. Production > potential. For the #1 overall, I might if there were a specific player I thought was a can't-miss to take there, but that would be just for Allen. Two productive players for a couple of unknown rooks? No thanks. McFadden's just 26.

I wouldn't trade him straight up for the #4 pick. Production > potential. For the #1 overall, I might if there were a specific player I thought was a can't-miss to take there, but that would be just for Allen. Two productive players for a couple of unknown rooks? No thanks. McFadden's just 26.
What if Andre Ellington was thrown in

What if Andre Ellington was thrown in
stop with this, no one cares

Allen's been a guy I don't even think about where he is in the rankings anymore. I just pencil him in my lineup and never really consider subbing him out. And I think I have a pretty deep WR corp. What a luxury to have him as a WR3, off the waiver wire noless.

Raiderfan32904 said:
Allen's been a guy I don't even think about where he is in the rankings anymore. I just pencil him in my lineup and never really consider subbing him out. And I think I have a pretty deep WR corp. What a luxury to have him as a WR3, off the waiver wire noless.
Agreed. I would feel really uncomfortable benching him in any given week.

Raiderfan32904 said:
agreed :thumbup:

Banger said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
shadyridr said:

agreed...which is why I could see a lot of Woodhead / Matthews chewing up the clock.
Have the Chargers shown the ability or desire to just chew up clock by running the ball this year? Legit question, I don't watch many of their games, In the ones I did, they passed. A lot.

Banger said:
shadyridr said:

Have the Chargers shown the ability or desire to just chew up clock by running the ball this year? Legit question, I don't watch many of their games, In the ones I did, they passed. A lot.
I cant speak to this, but in my opinion, they rn one of the slowest offenses. By this I mean, each play they seem to use the whole play clock before the snap. Almost the anti-eagles if you will. As a Rivers/Gates/Allen owner in a couple leagues, its frustrating because the plays they do run on offense are efficient, just not enough volume to truly be elite

Banger said:
shadyridr said:
I wouldnt call it conservative, I would call it "ball control" they like to work the clock to keep that lousy defense off the fieldI was surprised that Keenan didnt do better SD being down most of the game. When they targeted him he did well.

then you havent watched them recently. Rivers passed between 26-33 times in 3 of their last 4 games and the other game (was) he passed 44 times but most of those came in the 4th qtr comeback mode

McCoy is trying to win games. It worked perfectly against the Colts. Not so much against the skins and against the Broncos they fell behind yet didn't abandon the run.

The Defense is so awful they are trying to keep them fresh and off the field

I'd call it very high. I picked him in a dynasty draft in the second round this year, and he's been my WR#2 for three weeks now, despite being a rookie.

You can't find a better FF rookie WR, can you? Name one. He's going to get better. He'll have a good QB throwing to him for years, a QB who's already fallen in love with him.

In dynasty terms, he's gold.

ETA: I agree with everyone above who consider him borderline untradeable. He's a weekly starter. Unless some idiot offers you a crazy package of players, why get rid of him?

I'd call it very high. I picked him in a dynasty draft in the second round this year, and he's been my WR#2 for three weeks now, despite being a rookie.

You can't find a better FF rookie WR, can you? Name one. He's going to get better. He'll have a good QB throwing to him for years, a QB who's already fallen in love with him.

ETA: I agree with everyone above who consider him borderline untradeable. He's a weekly starter. Unless some idiot offers you a crazy package of players, why get rid of him?
His frame and skill set will obviously keep him behind the big guys like Dez, Mega, Green, etc in fantasy purposes. This guy looks to me to be the next Reggie Wayne though, which is obviously very valuable. I can't think of another up and coming guy in the league that has more Wayne like abilities. Can anybody else?

His frame and skill set will obviously keep him behind the big guys like Dez, Mega, Green, etc in fantasy purposes. This guy looks to me to be the next Reggie Wayne though, which is obviously very valuable. I can't think of another up and coming guy in the league that has more Wayne like abilities. Can anybody else?
I'm not putting Allen in that tier, but what about Allen's "frame" & "skill set" will OBVIOUSLY keep him behind those guys?

Allen-6'2", 212 lbs

Green-6'4", 207 lbs

Bryant-6'2", 222 lbs

Johnson-6'5", 236 lbs

The only one that really stands out, with regards to frame, is Megatron. Allen is 5 lbs heavier, but 2 inches shorter than Green, but he's the same height, and 10 lbs lighter than Bryant.

With regards to skill set, from what I've read and seen, Allen has very good hands, good ball skills when the ball is in the air, and attacks the ball in jump ball type situations. His route running seems to be very good, especially for a rookie. What about his skill set is inferior to those guys you mentioned?

I'm not putting Allen in that tier, but what about Allen's "frame" & "skill set" will OBVIOUSLY keep him behind those guys?

Allen-6'2", 212 lbs

Green-6'4", 207 lbs

Bryant-6'2", 222 lbs

Johnson-6'5", 236 lbs

The only one that really stands out, with regards to frame, is Megatron. Allen is 5 lbs heavier, but 2 inches shorter than Green, but he's the same height, and 10 lbs lighter than Bryant.

With regards to skill set, from what I've read and seen, Allen has very good hands, good ball skills when the ball is in the air, and attacks the ball in jump ball type situations. His route running seems to be very good, especially for a rookie. What about his skill set is inferior to those guys you mentioned?
Wow, I didn't realize his measurables were about the same as those guys. I was just judging by my eyes and how he plays. He plays like a small guy, which is not a bad thing. I never said he was inferior, or at least I didn't mean to say that. I meant that he plays differently. He runs really crisp routes and has great hands. All those other guys play like physical beasts and the QBs can just toss it up in their vicinity and feel comfortable about them bringing it in even if they are double teamed. Maybe I haven't seen enough of film on Allen, but I didn't think he played in the same way as those guys. Not that it's a bad thing, just that it's different.

Raiderfan32904 said:
I feel the same way about Josh Gordon, and these guys are ranked really close this week. (Note I own them in two separate leagues so I'm not asking who to start)

But, having said that. Both guys have the ability to be less consistent than some of the receivers in the tier above them, as we've seen the last few weeks.

I uncomfortably watched Keenan score 4 points last week in a matchup that seemed like it would be a high flying affair. If Rivers isn't chucking it to him when they are down two Tds against Denver is he going to get him the ball when they are up two Tds against a waffling Miami team?

Raiderfan32904 said:
I feel the same way about Josh Gordon, and these guys are ranked really close this week. (Note I own them in two separate leagues so I'm not asking who to start)But, having said that. Both guys have the ability to be less consistent than some of the receivers in the tier above them, as we've seen the last few weeks.

I uncomfortably watched Keenan score 4 points last week in a matchup that seemed like it would be a high flying affair. If Rivers isn't chucking it to him when they are down two Tds against Denver is he going to get him the ball when they are up two Tds against a waffling Miami team?
Assuming they are not up two Tds scored by Allen obviously.

Raiderfan32904 said:
I feel the same way about Josh Gordon, and these guys are ranked really close this week. (Note I own them in two separate leagues so I'm not asking who to start)

But, having said that. Both guys have the ability to be less consistent than some of the receivers in the tier above them, as we've seen the last few weeks.

even the best WR are goin have a 4/40 5/50 2/30 type of stat line.

I guarantee SD wont be up two TDs on the road vs Miami

Raiderfan32904 said:

I think defenses are adjusting, and have and will shift their coverage towards Allen. Allen will have to find ways to beat stronger coverage, which he seems to have the talent to be able to do. Also, McCoy to this point seems to do a good job of utilizing his talent, so unlike others (ahem, Jason Garrett), he will probably find ways to get him in single coverage and get him the ball.

That said, he's a rookie, and he plays in an offense that emphasizes making the smart play. Rivers won't be forcing very many "F it" throws into double coverage. As people were saying on earlier pages, expecting this guy to maintain low WR1 status the whole year was unrealistic. But for most of us, he's our WR2 or WR3, and will continue to be a stud in that role.

You Keenan Allen fans in here prefer him to Eric Decker going forward in PPR? Have the opportunity to make a move, and I'm torn on it. Like both of them a lot.

I do, simply because of schedule. Allen has a much easier ROS match ups then Decker. Not to mention Allen is the #1 WR in SD Whereas Decker is sharing with Welker both Thomas' Moreno.

Rolling with Hilton and Gordon over Keenan but he may remind me why it's a bad idea to bench him this weekend.

Rolling with Hilton and Gordon over Keenan but he may remind me why it's a bad idea to bench him this weekend.
I have this same choice. I think I like Gordon over Keenan as well, and I'm not sure why.
All three are pretty close rankings wise. Very tough decision but my gut says Hilton and Gordon.....but like I said there is a good chance Keenan Allen is going to make me regret it. This is in PPR as well.

I'm going with Riley Cooper over Keenan Allen this weekend, and I'm feeling like I might be receiving the same reminder....

I'm going with Riley Cooper over Keenan Allen this weekend, and I'm feeling like I might be receiving the same reminder....
This seems to be ultimately a decision about whether you like the WR with the greater targets vs. the current hotness. I think Cooper is averaging fewer than four catches a game over the past four week, while Allen is getting targeted more and catching more. I have the same Cooper vs. Allen decision to make this week, as well. I've flip-flopped five or six times already this week.

Might be chasing some Cooper points on that one. He's been the beneficiary of some bad secondary play and I'll say even...luck. Allen had a down game last week, but so did the majority of the Chargers offense. I think Allen is the safer play due to targets and usage. The Skins are a nice match up for sure though so I can see the draw of starting Cooper.

I'm flip-flopping over Josh Gordon vs Allen myself....but that's an A/C question :cool:

Even though I said earlier I'd feel uncomfortable benching him, I have to choose this week between him and Alshon and I think I'm benching Allen.

Might be chasing some Cooper points on that one. He's been the beneficiary of some bad secondary play and I'll say even...luck. Allen had a down game last week, but so did the majority of the Chargers offense. I think Allen is the safer play due to targets and usage. The Skins are a nice match up for sure though so I can see the draw of starting Cooper.

I'm flip-flopping over Josh Gordon vs Allen myself....but that's an A/C question :cool:
Gordon, higher upside and Allen lower floor in my opinion, for this week specifically. Depending on what you need.

Starting Allen over Chris Johnson in 1 league @ Flex

Benching Allen over Jimmy Graham *Flex", Antonio Brown, DJAX, and Elligton in another

Even though I said earlier I'd feel uncomfortable benching him, I have to choose this week between him and Alshon and I think I'm benching Allen.
I have the exact same dilemma (Allen vs. Jeffery), and I'm pretty set on starting Jeffery as well.

I like what Allen has done thus far but he contributes to my agonizing weekly decision on who to play at WR because I have no studs but 4 pretty good WR’s …Allen, Antonio Brown, Decker and TY Hilton

I have the exact same dilemma (Allen vs. Jeffery), and I'm pretty set on starting Jeffery as well.
Same thing here and I think you have to go Jeffery on this one, and you can't question it. Good problem to have.

Same thing here and I think you have to go Jeffery on this one, and you can't question it. Good problem to have.
I'm not sure which way I'd go on that one. Jeffrey is a stud, but McCown has leaned a little more toward Marshall compared to Cutler. One guy depending on McCown and the other Rivers is where I'd make the decision.

Wouldn't you factor in their QBs? A guy like Cambell is a big deterrent for me.

On that note...can Rivers sustain his "good qb" stature he seems to have reclaimed? Last summer he was thought to be "toast", "stick a fork in him".

PEDs?

Users who are viewing this thread