What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Keenan Allen, CHI (3 Viewers)

2 TDs and 25% of teams targets. Enough for this week and if I make it through, he'll be starting in my flex next week.

One of the better, if not the best FA pick ups this year?

2 TDs and 25% of teams targets. Enough for this week and if I make it through, he'll be starting in my flex next week.

One of the better, if not the best FA pick ups this year?
He's gotta be pretty high on the list. I'm sure he's helped save a bunch of Julio, Wayne, Roddy, or Bowe owners.

Fact #1 Broncos will be up most of the game, if not the entire game.

Fact #2 Broncos need to keep playing hard to keep the #1 seed alive.

Fact #3 Rivers has the former Off Coord from the Broncos as a HC, so he knows what to do to keep them viable.

Fact #4 Rivers should be solid tonight, as the Broncos have allowed a multiple passing touchdowns all but twice since Week 6 and are bottom-10 versus quarterbacks for the season, last 5 week and last 3 week splits.

Fact #5 The Broncos secondary is not elite in any way, so Allen is a start this week with no hesitation.

Fact #6 The Broncos are red hot offensively right now but there defense showed real signs of weakness in Week 14 and was bailed out by the strong offensive performance.

Conclusion: the run game for the Chargers will be non existent most of the game and the #1 target for Rivers is Allen.

Allen was banged up last week but still managed 2 scores. They abandoned the passing game last week due to being up so much to the Giants. This week is the total opposite. They will need to pass pass and pass some more and I see Allen being the direct beneficiary of that tonight.
You're aware they played just a month ago, right? In that game, the Broncos went into halftime ahead 21-6, yet the Chargers ran the ball 35 times and passed it 29 times.

As an Allen owner, I'm hoping they realize it's more important to score TDs on every single drive than it is to milk the clock, but I'm worried they'll just roll out version two of the ball control gameplan they used last time.
why would go with the same game plan that you lost with?
Because it can work. This time the Chargers passed the ball 20 times and ran it 44 times. If DRC doesn't drop his man coverage or if either of the other Bronco DBs make a tackle, K. Allen's stat line is 2-28 1TD.

...and it's going to be the Ryan Matthews show again next week against the Raiders.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad his two receptions were TDs, but I'm not terribly comfortable starting the Leroy Hoard of WRs.

Fact #3 Rivers has the former Off Coord from the Broncos as a HC, so he knows what to do to keep them viable.

Fact #4 Rivers should be solid tonight, as the Broncos have allowed a multiple passing touchdowns all but twice since Week 6 and are bottom-10 versus quarterbacks for the season, last 5 week and last 3 week splits.

Fact #5 The Broncos secondary is not elite in any way, so Allen is a start this week with no hesitation.

Fact #6 The Broncos are red hot offensively right now but there defense showed real signs of weakness in Week 14 and was bailed out by the strong offensive performance.

Conclusion: the run game for the Chargers will be non existent most of the game and the #1 target for Rivers is Allen.

Allen was banged up last week but still managed 2 scores. They abandoned the passing game last week due to being up so much to the Giants. This week is the total opposite. They will need to pass pass and pass some more and I see Allen being the direct beneficiary of that tonight.
You're aware they played just a month ago, right? In that game, the Broncos went into halftime ahead 21-6, yet the Chargers ran the ball 35 times and passed it 29 times.

As an Allen owner, I'm hoping they realize it's more important to score TDs on every single drive than it is to milk the clock, but I'm worried they'll just roll out version two of the ball control gameplan they used last time.
Because it can work. This time the Chargers passed the ball 20 times and ran it 44 times. If DRC doesn't drop his man coverage or if either of the other Bronco DBs make a tackle, K. Allen's stat line is 2-28 1TD.

...and it's going to be the Ryan Matthews show again next week against the Raiders.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad his two receptions were TDs, but I'm not terribly comfortable starting the Leroy Hoard of WRs.
the difference in the two games

was SD had the lead in this one and squatted on the ball

they were down to denver 21-6 or something in the home game, kept running and never caught up.

It was the defensive game plan that made the difference

as far as Allen goes, hes a rookie that has 60 plus catches almost 1k in yards and 7tds since week5 basically.

I suspect next week vs oakland they will probably run more than pass again, however as we saw with the Denver game, it never really goes how we expect

Last edited by a moderator:
While I'm happy my reverse-jinx earlier in this thread paid off, I don't know how Keenan Allen owners can consider themselves anything else but lucky after last night. After all, he had two catches for 29 yards that both went for touchdowns. He could've just as easily had two catches for 29 yards, and, frankly, I'm surprised he didn't considering how I routinely get screwed playing and playing against players on Thursday nights. I'm so happy there are no more Thursday night games this season. Good riddance!

Here's why you can't play the what-if game on Allen's first TD; that play is a perfect example of what Allen brings as a WR. He's athletic, big, strong, and has a nose for the end zone. He's one of only a handful of guys in the league who would have scored on that play. That's why he should be in your fantasy lineup.

Here's why you can't play the what-if game on Allen's first TD; that play is a perfect example of what Allen brings as a WR. He's athletic, big, strong, and has a nose for the end zone. He's one of only a handful of guys in the league who would have scored on that play. That's why he should be in your fantasy lineup.
I love Keenan Allen. He is a remarkable, unique blend of small guy quicks/route running in a big guy body.

As talented as he is, we can't expect him to score every single time he touches the ball! He's only touched the ball 5 times in the last 126 minutes of play. If that continues, he's eventually going to put up a stinker.

When was the last time you saw a guy catch two TD passes and still not reach his widely projected point total for a week?

I love Keenan Allen. He is a remarkable, unique blend of small guy quicks/route running in a big guy body.

As talented as he is, we can't expect him to score every single time he touches the ball! He's only touched the ball 5 times in the last 126 minutes of play. If that continues, he's eventually going to put up a stinker.

When was the last time you saw a guy catch two TD passes and still not reach his widely projected point total for a week?
good thing we only have 1 game left.

all players put up stinkers dude.

Speaking for myself here, but I think the tinge of disappointment expressed in this thread is probably more to do with Denver starters people might have had in their teams alongside Allen.

It looked like Allen may have dug us out of hole with a massive game, but circumstances made him fall short of that.

Certainly, I am grateful for Allen's game and points haul, taken as an individual roster spot.
Agreed. I have some sour grapes over Knowshon's night but all in all thanks to Allen I am off to decent start in my playoff.
Same here. I'm more bitter about the Thomas's than Allen.

Obviously he won't score every time he touches the ball, but he'll score more often than most guys when he touches the ball. So it's not like the fact that he scored is totally fluky. Sure, he won't have the consistency of Megatron, there are too many other receivers in San Diego. But he's dang good.

Just rewatched some of the highlights -- the first TD was really a thing of beauty. Great route to start, flattening it out so quickly, then the YAC was obviously brilliant. Love how he finished it barreling into the DB at the goal line and not being denied.

I agree we cannot ignore the success the Chargers are having in the running game. Ryan Mathews is playing at a very high level right now, and the Chargers would be foolish not to feed him the ball generously.

Keenan Allen is obviously not going to continue to find the endzone at this rate, so you cannot completely dismiss that Allen has only 5 receptions for 88 yards on 8 targets over his past two games.

In last night's game at Denver, Philip Rivers had his season low output for completions, attempts and yards. However, I don't see a declining trend to his statline.

Until this past Sunday when Allen scored twice, he was criticized as being a good PPR guy who could not find the endzone. Allen scores 4 TDs over the past two games on 5 receptions and he is now the Leroy Hoard of receivers? All he can do is catch touchdowns? No.

I get the concern, but looking beyond his stats, Philip Rivers and the San Diego coaching staff clearly trust Keenan Allen to get the job done. They will make an effort to keep Keenan Allen involved in the gameplan. Listening to the interview with Rivers after the game, he was practically gushing talking about Allen.

I will be comfortably putting Allen in my weekly starting lineup. Enjoy the ride!

Who expects him to score very single time he touches the ball? WR TDs are less "reliable" than RB or QB TDs, in most cases.

In his two previous games, Allen touched the ball 17 times (in 120 minutes), but failed to score. You expect a WR who gets 17 catches in 2 games to get in the EZ, but he didn't. It doesn't make him the "Leroy" Hoard of WRs, as another poster said.

What I've noticed is that Allen doesn't get the ball "forced to him." Rodgers-Cromartie was covering him much of the game last night, and SD seemed to be picking on the rookie (Webster-?). I thought that maybe it was because he was a rookie, maybe it was game-plan, but if you look at Rivers' career, he rarely locks onto 1 WR. The only years he has had a WR with more than 100 targets was in '08,'09, & '11 (VJax all 3 years). It's important to note that for pretty much Rivers' entire career, he has leaned heavily on Gates.

Those things being said, if you look at Allen's targets since he became a starter, he would be on pace for 123 targets over 16 games. That's more than VJax ever got with Rivers. With Allen getting more experience, and Gates getting older/phased out, it's possible that Allen could become the target-hog, #1 WR that we all want on our FF squad.

If he gets 150 targets (not very high for many NFL #1 WRs), and his catch rate only drops a little bit, you're looking at close to 100 catches. Even if you drop his YPR, you're still talking about around 1300 yards. His current TD/catch rate would put him at close to 11 TDs.

So, if Allen gets a few more targets, even if his catch rate and YPR declines, he could conceivably be a 98/1300/11TD WR, without factoring in any kind of development, growth, improvement in reading defenses, getting more on the "same page" as Rivers, etc.

Of course, he could also follow the Mike Clayton route, and never be significant (NFL OR FF-speaking) again.

While I'm happy my reverse-jinx earlier in this thread paid off, I don't know how Keenan Allen owners can consider themselves anything else but lucky after last night. After all, he had two catches for 29 yards that both went for touchdowns. He could've just as easily had two catches for 29 yards, and, frankly, I'm surprised he didn't considering how I routinely get screwed playing and playing against players on Thursday nights. I'm so happy there are no more Thursday night games this season. Good riddance!
well, I definitely do feel lucky, and I don't totally disagree with what you're saying, but I don't think it really applies to keenan.

it's not like it's some fluke he got those td opps -- sd runs a pretty good offense that gets in the redzone, and when they get down in there they tend to look for keenan a lot in the redzone and in the endzone.

I saw 1 or 2 other sd games and they were bombarding him down in the redzone -- that's one of the appeals to starting him.

also, the guy made plays on both those td, plays another receiver might not have made.

so, yeah, I'd love it if he got 9 targets and 100 yds, but it's not like that can't happen -- he's had 9+ targets and 100 yds in about half his starts.including 9 tgts/115/1 last time they played oakland, with 3 of those 9 being redzone tgts..

Re. Rivers locking in on him or not, from what I remember he did get the ball forced to him at times earlier in the season. I didn't see the game last night, but from what I read/heard this morning (Barnwall, Mays, Tucker?-can't remember) it sounds like SD was deliberately abusing the weak points in the Broncos coverage, rather than Rivers going away from KA because he couldn't beat his man.

Allen did have an 18 yard reception called back due to a holding penalty and had a mix up on his 1st target when he beat his man.

He did nothing wrong last night. The game plan dictated things.

It is nice to see him being the RZ target now when in years past it was always Gates.

While I'm happy my reverse-jinx earlier in this thread paid off, I don't know how Keenan Allen owners can consider themselves anything else but lucky after last night. After all, he had two catches for 29 yards that both went for touchdowns. He could've just as easily had two catches for 29 yards, and, frankly, I'm surprised he didn't considering how I routinely get screwed playing and playing against players on Thursday nights. I'm so happy there are no more Thursday night games this season. Good riddance![/quote

It's not luck that Allen made two very impressive plays in a big game for his team. His steady targets and plays like that are what made him a must start guy weeks ago.

I don't care what anyone says............he's a MUST start. RZ targets are there and Rivers loves throwing him the ball. Plus the guy is a baller just like he was in college BEFORE he was injured now some are surprised he's balling in the NFL?!?! Now that's funny! Truth is many passed on him in the draft and now regret it. There were at least 5 or 6 WRs that people were picking over him and at this point he's the best in last year's draft.

I don't know what's to come in the future but right now I'm starting him and I'm glad I didn't pull him out of my lineup..........Hell I hope he catch 2 passes next week for 2 TDs.

Giddy Up,

Tex

orly?

Re. Rivers locking in on him or not, from what I remember he did get the ball forced to him at times earlier in the season. I didn't see the game last night, but from what I read/heard this morning (Barnwall, Mays, Tucker?-can't remember) it sounds like SD was deliberately abusing the weak points in the Broncos coverage, rather than Rivers going away from KA because he couldn't beat his man.
That's kind of the point I was getting at; Rivers was not forcing the ball to Allen. Instead, he was attacking a particular Bronco defender (who didn't happen to be covering Allen).

Since there were several games earlier in the year where Allen "disappeared" for stretches, I looked up the numbers, and realized that Rivers has typically not been a QB who fed his #1WR.

Again, Allen is getting significant targets, and if those targets/game rise slightly next year, he could be even more productive.

orly?
heh well since I was going with the % of the time this year they were up, I could of been wrong here. SD Def played stellar this night. I did observe that Manning looked a little tentative, happy feet and just not himself.

Was curious about Keenan's dynasty value so I checked staff dynasty rankings and noticed William Grant has Keenan at #53 among WRs. Now that is dated 12/3, but still placing him behind Stephen Hill, Sidney Rice, Santonio Holmes, Jeremy Maclin, Reggie Wayne (in dynasty, really?), and Ryan Broyles. I understand values vary, but is there a basis for this ranking? Would William Grant really trade away Keenan (and presumably more) to acquire Sidney Rice, Ryan Broyles or Reggie Wayne in a dynasty league?

Last edited by a moderator:
Was curious about Keenan's dynasty value so I checked staff dynasty rankings and noticed William Grant has Keenan at #53 among WRs. Now that is dated 12/3, but still placing him behind Stephen Hill, Sidney Rice, Santonio Holmes, Jeremy Maclin, Reggie Wayne (in dynasty, really?), and Ryan Broyles. I understand values vary, but is there a basis for this ranking? Would William Grant really trade away Keenan (and presumably more) to acquire Sidney Rice, Ryan Broyles or Reggie Wayne in a dynasty league?
where can you check dynasty rankings?

an obvious oversight by Will. Allen is clearly a top 10-15 dynasty WR

Why is ther ANY keenan hate? Yes only 2 rec but 2 tds? But he has been the wr1 in sd for about ten weeks, and was cheap. Cheaper than hopkins, patterson, and others who catch no heat. He was a bargain and an exciting guy going forward.

I have him in my keeper league after grabbing him on waivers. Personally I don't need him to shine since he's my WR3 behind Marshall and A. Johnson. That said, he's quickly becoming one of my favorite players.

McCoy leaning on the run again the rest of the way I bet. Oh well, great fantasy season keenan. At least you helped get me to the final

What happened? Saw on my Yahoo stat tracker that he was just credited with a fumble but just has that 1 catch from earlier in the game? Did he fumble on that catch? Or was it a running play?

I'll never comment on Allen having a poor showing until the game ends; he's notorious for racking up all of his catches/yards on a handful of drives.

Users who are viewing this thread