Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sabertooth

The Keenan Allen Hype Train

Overrated.

Completely agree. Wasted a free agent pickup on a guy that has put up double digit number in 9 out of the last 12 games. Worst pickup ever.

• Like 1

5/7 of his last catches were for TD's.

Not trying to complain at all because I know he's great, but why is he only used in the redzone? From a fantasy perspective, that's the best case scenario, but it's always stressful watching him go half a game without a catch. Why is he not targeted more often on the other 80 yards of the field?

Overrated.

He's a rookie and he was the WR3 going into the season before he was thrust into the starting spot. What are we looking for here exactly?

I was desparately imploying the reverse jinx. Although I'm concerned about his useage and mistakes lately. More so the useage.

TD will salvage the day, just what I needed to go with Thomas and Gordon, anything else he can add the rest of the way is just gravy.

Thats probably all he will get the way theyre using him

Overrated.

He's a rookie and he was the WR3 going into the season before he was thrust into the starting spot. What are we looking for here exactly?

He was the WR3 after Danario Alexander and Malcom Floyd got hurt. He was WR5 before that, since Vincent Brown and Eddie Royal were originally ahead of him.

Overrated.

He was the WR3 after Danario Alexander and Malcom Floyd got hurt. He was WR5 before that, since Vincent Brown and Eddie Royal were originally ahead of him.

:goodposting:

Comical how many magic football players are clueless and whiney as a seven year old girl with a skinned knee.

Looks like he's been credited with a fumble -- I thought that was a Special Teams play but maybe I was wrong?

Looks like he's been credited with a fumble -- I thought that was a Special Teams play but maybe I was wrong?

It was. It was a muffed punt return.

Must be special teams. On my ESPN league, he has no fumble, unless there is a mistake which will be fixed tomorrow.

Overrated.

:own3d:

Almost scored twice. Throw was behind him.

He really should have scored on that one, and actually another TD just edged off his fingers later.

Rivers threw off target on at least three attempts for Allen. Rivers sucked today, Allen's numbers could have looked MUCH better.

Must be special teams. On my ESPN league, he has no fumble, unless there is a mistake which will be fixed tomorrow.

Yeah, still showing up as a fumble on CBS.com. I need those two pts back!

Only about 50 yards short of a 1000 yard season.

While some are "complaining" that he's a low volume, high TD guy, he's on his way to a 70-1000-8+ season despite not starting his first few games.

Not many guys have put up those numbers in year 1.

Keenan Allen nearly quit Chargers after Week 1

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Keenan Allen has already set the San Diego Chargers rookie record with five 100-yard receiving games.

The team didn't know how close Allen came to never recording a single 100-yard game.

Allen was persona non grata in the Bolts' early-season offense, failing to play a single snap in the Week 1 loss to the Texans.

"After I didn't play after that first game," Allen said, via U-T San Diego, "I was about another snap away of not playing from quitting."

He was serious, too.

After three seasons playing his college ball at Cal, Allen contemplated going back to Berkeley to finish his degree, with an eye toward perhaps becoming a music producer. He even leaned on his mother for guidance.

"'I need help. I'm losing. I'm about to quit,'" Allen recalled of his conversation. "(I wasn't) living up to my expectations of starting. I've never been a role player-type guy. Not easy at all. ... I've never had to do it before. I never had to adjust."

Allen was saved from that twist of fate when Malcom Floyd went down with a season-ending neck injury the next week.

Although it might be natural to doubt his passion for the game, Allen has overcome knee and shoulder injuries to emerge as a leading candidate for Offensive Rookie of the Year.

After watching Allen take off from the free-throw line for a key touchdown in the Week 15 upset over the Broncos, who can doubt his competitive fire?

It's not unusual for a 21-year-old to find himself drifting after his college days. Allen's surprising revelation speaks to the trials and tribulations of an underappreciated rookie struggling to adjust to a new NFL environment.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" delivered a Christmas gift, analyzing the chaotic playoff picture in both conferences.

Rotoworld:

Keenan Allen caught five balls for 89 yards in the Chargers' Week 17 win over the Chiefs.

Allen ends an ROY-caliber regular season with 71 catches for 1,046 yards and eight touchdowns. We suspect Eddie Lacy will get the Rookie of Year nod over Allen, but the voting needs to be very, very close. Already one of the top-ten route-running receivers in football, Allen showed remarkable separation skills despite sub-par speed throughout his first NFL campaign, and was highly effective in the red zone. By season's end, there wasn't a pass catcher on San Diego's roster Philip Rivers trusted more. Allen will be a top 15-20 wide receiver target in 2014 re-draft leagues. He's already a top 12-15 Dynasty wideout.

Hes a buy or hold. I cant sell him for what I think hes worth, so he'll stay mine! ROY would help his perceived value though.

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Keenan Allen has already set the San Diego Chargers rookie record with five 100-yard receiving games.

The team didn't know how close Allen came to never recording a single 100-yard game.

Allen was persona non grata in the Bolts' early-season offense, failing to play a single snap in the Week 1 loss to the Texans.

"After I didn't play after that first game," Allen said, via U-T San Diego, "I was about another snap away of not playing from quitting."

He was serious, too.

After three seasons playing his college ball at Cal, Allen contemplated going back to Berkeley to finish his degree, with an eye toward perhaps becoming a music producer. He even leaned on his mother for guidance.

"'I need help. I'm losing. I'm about to quit,'" Allen recalled of his conversation. "(I wasn't) living up to my expectations of starting. I've never been a role player-type guy. Not easy at all. ... I've never had to do it before. I never had to adjust."

Allen was saved from that twist of fate when Malcom Floyd went down with a season-ending neck injury the next week.

Although it might be natural to doubt his passion for the game, Allen has overcome knee and shoulder injuries to emerge as a leading candidate for Offensive Rookie of the Year.

After watching Allen take off from the free-throw line for a key touchdown in the Week 15 upset over the Broncos, who can doubt his competitive fire?

It's not unusual for a 21-year-old to find himself drifting after his college days. Allen's surprising revelation speaks to the trials and tribulations of an underappreciated rookie struggling to adjust to a new NFL environment.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" delivered a Christmas gift, analyzing the chaotic playoff picture in both conferences.

Hmm... This article concerns me a bit. Seems there are character issues-- the kid almost quit because he wasn't getting his way? What happens when he or his team hit a long rough spot?

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

He was serious, too.

Hmm... This article concerns me a bit. Seems there are character issues-- the kid almost quit because he wasn't getting his way? What happens when he or his team hit a long rough spot?

Reading that really surprised me........concerns me a bit too.

Hmmm well now it seems I'll have a difficult time on making him a keeper or not after reason this. Still leaning on a keeper but seeing if they bring back Alexander and or Floyd will enlighten me.

Edited by rjv

Hmmm well now it seems I'll have a difficult time on making him a keeper or not after reason this. Still leaning on a keeper but seeing if they bring back Alexander and or Floyd will enlighten me.

hes better than both of them

oh I totally agree it's just that hearing this doesn't sit well with me, but taking a shot with the unquestionable #1 WR in SD offense has it's upside.

oh I totally agree it's just that hearing this doesn't sit well with me, but taking a shot with the unquestionable #1 WR in SD offense has it's upside.

hearing what? that a rookie with a banged up knee who wasnt starting had 2nd thoughts about playing?

It pretty much moot now

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

He was serious, too.

I think he is being very candid, something you don't get much in professional sports these days. There is an adjustment that almost all NFL rookies need to make. Since they were 5, they were the best player on the field and now all of a sudden they are on a team with 52 other people that had the same background.

It is my belief that a lot of NFL players have similar feelings after leaving college. In this case, you just got a clearer glimpse into his thinking than you normally get. I don't see how in a keeper/dynasty league he is anything other than a solid keep.

ETA: His main concern/flaw coming into the NFL was his lack of speed. As a rookie, he has consistently demonstrated how he can still get separation from NFL DBs and he has shown a better than anticipated elusiveness after the catch. At this point, his career path is pointing strongly up.

Edited by Zaphod
  • Like 1

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

He was serious, too.

I think he is being very candid, something you don't get much in professional sports these days. There is an adjustment that almost all NFL rookies need to make. Since they were 5, they were the best player on the field and now all of a sudden they are on a team with 52 other people that had the same background.

It is my belief that a lot of NFL players have similar feelings after leaving college. In this case, you just got a clearer glimpse into his thinking than you normally get. I don't see how in a keeper/dynasty league he is anything other than a solid keep.

ETA: His main concern/flaw coming into the NFL was his lack of speed. As a rookie, he has consistently demonstrated how he can still get separation from NFL DBs and he has shown a better than anticipated elusiveness after the catch. At this point, his career path is pointing strongly up.

Actually this is a pretty good interpretation...

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

He was serious, too.

It's a lot easier to talk about what might have been after it's no longer going to be.

Stat line looks great but too often his value seems to be directly connected to the need to pass. Not sure he becomes option 1 in the offense next year.

Stat line looks great but too often his value seems to be directly connected to the need to pass. Not sure he becomes option 1 in the offense next year.

Who would it be?

It seems like Rivers doesn't lean on Allen until he absolutely needs to. He was money in the crunch today (again).