What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Keenan Allen, CHI (2 Viewers)

Losing the best receiver hurts that offense as a whole some, limiting how much of a bump these other guys get. In my 14 and 16 teamed, I'd love to have Johnson or Floyd, but Gates and Woodhead are the only ones I'd really trust in the 10 and 12 team leagues.

Exactly. You dont just take Allens points and spread them around. Doesnt work that way.

I think Floyd and Woodhead see the biggest bumps though probably not all that much of one. Some of the other guys who will see a bump still wont be fantasy relevant

Last edited by a moderator:
Two straight season ending injuries around mid-season. As good as he is when he plays, the inability to stay on the field definitely causes some concern for dynasty purposes.
Do we believe that Keenan Allen's lacerated kidney is indicative of an increased propensity towards suffering major organ damage?

If not, then what's the concern?
Organ damage? Not necessarily. But he seemed more than willing to risk his body to bring in every possible catch. Not sure he's built for that type of play.

Two straight season ending injuries around mid-season. As good as he is when he plays, the inability to stay on the field definitely causes some concern for dynasty purposes.
Do we believe that Keenan Allen's lacerated kidney is indicative of an increased propensity towards suffering major organ damage?

If not, then what's the concern?
Organ damage? Not necessarily. But he seemed more than willing to risk his body to bring in every possible catch. Not sure he's built for that type of play.
There's a very fine line there. If you aren't willing to do everything to win, you're Ted Ginn.

Foster, L.Bell, and Allen all done for the season within 8 days. That's three overall top 15 fantasy players. And another one (Charles) lost two weeks earlier.

I bet every leagues' power structure sure looks different than it did going into week 7.
Try losing 3 of those guys on one team. My "Power" structure currently looks like that TV show "Revolution".

If you believed that before he lacerated his kidney, then continue doing so. If you didn't believe that before he lacerated his kidney, then continue not doing so. The kidney laceration is the ultimate fluke and shouldn't be used as evidence of anything.

It's like Gronk's surgical infections. They're not really evidence of anything except that things that have a small chance of happening will happen a small percentage of the time.

Foster, L.Bell, and Allen all done for the season within 8 days. That's three overall top 15 fantasy players. And another one (Charles) lost two weeks earlier.

I bet every leagues' power structure sure looks different than it did going into week 7.
And I had 3 of them. :wall:

:ptts:

Don't forget Smith Sr. He was averaging 1 ppg less than Allen even though he got knocked out early in 2 of his 7 games. Losing Foster and Smith back to back sucks bad. My best team now in scramble mode.

So there is no way he's coming back right? Officially to IR? CBS is reporting nothing. He's no longer in the Top 200 going forward.

Waivers running in like 30 mins. Would be nice to know something official.

No wishful thinking here, just don't' want to drop a guy who might come back for FF playoffs.

So there is no way he's coming back right? Officially to IR? CBS is reporting nothing. He's no longer in the Top 200 going forward.

No wishful thinking here, just don't' want to drop a guy who might come back for FF playoffs.
He's officially on IR

He's officially on IR
Dug a little deeper and saw that. Thank you!

Don't forget Smith Sr. He was averaging 1 ppg less than Allen even though he got knocked out early in 2 of his 7 games. Losing Foster and Smith back to back sucks bad. My best team now in scramble mode.
In one of my leagues, I had all four of these guys...

Been turning down ridiculous buy low offers for him all day. He's a srud and I'm more than happy to keep him on IR as opposed to moving him for short term garbage

Per the blogger, Keenan could have been back in 6 weeks, but because the team is out of it, no need to rush him back. Had the team still been in the playoff hunt, Keenan could have been a FF playoff boost.

Real life NFL trumps FF yet again.

zamboni said:
Per the blogger, Keenan could have been back in 6 weeks, but because the team is out of it, no need to rush him back. Had the team still been in the playoff hunt, Keenan could have been a FF playoff boost.

It was a poor decision IMO. The Chargers have been carrying guys like Donald Brown and Tourek Williams on the roster all season, and each has been inactive and has not played a snap. They just put Williams and Branden Oliver on IR and thus both of those inactive spots opened up. Plus, they just cut Jacoby Jones, which opened up another spot.

IMO they should have kept the door open for Allen to play. Obviously, they should have acted in the interest of his long term health in ultimately deciding if he would play again in the last few games, but there was no reason to eliminate that possibility now.

It is obvious the Chargers are out of the playoff chase, but does that mean the team should not continue to try to put its best players on the field to win as many games as possible? :no:

zamboni said:

It was a poor decision IMO. The Chargers have been carrying guys like Donald Brown and Tourek Williams on the roster all season, and each has been inactive and has not played a snap. They just put Williams and Branden Oliver on IR and thus both of those inactive spots opened up. Plus, they just cut Jacoby Jones, which opened up another spot.

IMO they should have kept the door open for Allen to play. Obviously, they should have acted in the interest of his long term health in ultimately deciding if he would play again in the last few games, but there was no reason to eliminate that possibility now.

It is obvious the Chargers are out of the playoff chase, but does that mean the team should not continue to try to put its best players on the field to win as many games as possible? :no:
Agreed. To say nothing of the fact that, if San Diego is throwing in the towel on the season and evaluating / developing their youth, you'd think that the 23-year-old Keenan Allen on his cost-controlled rookie contract would be a part of that process.

zamboni said:

Gotta agree with this. Huge middle finger to their fanbase.

zamboni said:

Which blogger, and does he have actual factual info from a doctor? Sounds like pure speculation to me. Even if true, that puts him back at week 14. At that point, what's the point (for the team?) He wouldn't be in game shape and would risk further injury.

zamboni said:

Which blogger, and does he have actual factual info from a doctor? Sounds like pure speculation to me. Even if true, that puts him back at week 14. At that point, what's the point (for the team?) He wouldn't be in game shape and would risk further injury.
You play to win the game

zamboni said:

You play to win the game
He wouldn't be in game shape and would risk further injury.

zamboni said:

You play to win the game
He wouldn't be in game shape and would risk further injury.
By definition, ready to play means he would not be at elevated risk for further serious injury. The game shape issue is a red herring.

1. If the report is correct that he could be ready to play after 6 weeks, there is no question that the Chargers' chance of winning is improved if he is active. Period.

2. If the report is not correct, e.g., if it is a given that he could not be ready to play for 8+ weeks, that is different. The timing matters.

3. If the timing is uncertain, then #1 remains in play, and that should guide the decision.

Yeah it's a big F U to the fanbase.................until next year when all the fans are super happy they held him out and he is killing it again next year rather than being rushed back for a couple meaningless games. Then it is a big WOOHOOO for the fanbase.

Yeah it's a big F U to the fanbase.................until next year when all the fans are super happy they held him out and he is killing it again next year rather than being rushed back for a couple meaningless games. Then it is a big WOOHOOO for the fanbase.
If he could have been ready to play without risk of further serious injury, it's the wrong move.

Anyone who disagrees should be in favor of benching Rivers the rest of the year rather than continuing to let him take a beating behind that horrible OL. That would be better for next year, too. Same for Stevie Johnson, who is playing at less than 100%... sit him. Gates and Green are both banged up... sit them. And most of the starting OL have been hurt and trying to play through it... sit them and let them heal up for next season.

:rolleyes:

If he could have been ready to play without risk of further serious injury, it's the wrong move.

Anyone who disagrees should be in favor of benching Rivers the rest of the year rather than continuing to let him take a beating behind that horrible OL. That would be better for next year, too. Same for Stevie Johnson, who is playing at less than 100%... sit him. Gates and Green are both banged up... sit them. And most of the starting OL have been hurt and trying to play through it... sit them and let them heal up for next season.

:rolleyes:
Funny thing is, that COULD happen and fans will still be happy as hell and forget all about it when they come back all healthy and win next year. Fans would just be upset right now.

Your example is rather extreme though.

Philip Rivers said at Chargers OTAs that he believes Keenan Allen "figured out last year what it took to be a No. 1 receiver in this league."

Allen was on pace for 134 catches through Week 8 last season, before suffering a lacerated kidney on a touchdown catch against the Ravens. Allen's 2014 campaign disappointed as he struggled with conditioning, but he got his work habits in order last season and is now entering a contract year at age 24.

Source: Michael Gehlken on Twitter

Keenan Allen reportedly "looks faster" this season.
Allen fell to the third round in 2013 due to his 4.71 speed. He struggled with conditioning early in his career, but has been in good shape the last two seasons. Already one of the best route runners in the league, adding more speed to his game would take Allen to the next level. Allen is a strong bet to post career highs if he can stay healthy for a full season.

Source: San Diego Union-Tribune 
Sep 10 - 3:32 PM

The look of Keenan Allen crying on the cart as he was being hauled off the field is the reason my stomach churns on FF. I don't own him but I feel so awful for owners who believed he could learn to play within his body's limitations which I feel like he has exhibited a couple times does have its limits but to see him so fired up and pumped up to be back and then to watch this was heartbreaking. 

It looks so bad, season ending as Scott Hansen reports...ACL tear

Oh, come on!  He's had a fluke broken shoulder and an even flukier ruptured kidney. 
I'm saying he cannot go 10 receptions per game which is what SD tries to milk him for.

I don't want to fight. I'll back off, owners are hurting, there's no reason to exacerbate it or make them feel worse. I say just grab one of the guys likely to continue on like Wallace in Baltimore, need very few targets targets to produce there IMHO. 

If I offended you Tang, forgive me, thank you. 

I'm saying he cannot go 10 receptions per game which is what SD tries to milk him for.

I don't want to fight. I'll back off, owners are hurting, there's no reason to exacerbate it or make them feel worse. I say just grab one of the guys likely to continue on like Wallace in Baltimore, need very few targets targets to produce there IMHO. 

If I offended you Tang, forgive me, thank you. 
No offense taken. I would just like to know how you correlate 1-in-1000 injuries with him having an injury prone body. 

Has anyone moved him recently?  Trying to gauge his value compared to some producing RB's like Crowell or Freeman or something, as I'm trying to buy low for next year.  Any recent deals done?

I decided to aim for a new window next year and dealt DT for Keenan straight up. Then of course I won two games in a  row and still have a pretty good roster, so I might look to flip him again and change direction. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread