Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sabertooth

The Keenan Allen Hype Train

On 11/24/2017 at 1:11 AM, SameSongNDance said:

Imagine trading him away after a down month only for him to string together the best two games of his career.

Yes...I got him in a trade for.......Alfred Morris...bwahahahaha!

:ptts:

I hope the back injury is not too serious. I have had Allen on all my fantasy teams since his rookie year.  I will need K. Allen next week provided I advance. I do have R. Woods and Sanu on the bench but I would much rather play my favorite WR, of course. 

On 11/24/2017 at 1:11 AM, SameSongNDance said:

Imagine trading him away after a down month only for him to string together the best two games of his career.

Imagine starting him in a semifinal playoff game only to watch Phillip rivers play one of the worst games of his career

36 minutes ago, need2know said:

Imagine starting him in a semifinal playoff game only to watch Phillip rivers play one of the worst games of his career

Imagine starting both Rivers and Allen :yucky:

Could tell it was going to be a different game on the first drive.  When the Charges keep Rivers clean he can work the field.  He was getting pressured from the offset last night.

3 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

Could tell it was going to be a different game on the first drive.  When the Charges keep Rivers clean he can work the field.  He was getting pressured from the offset last night.

Him just chucking it deep into triple coverage over and over again is on him though.  He looked like a rookie out there.  Then he's screaming at the wrs.  What an ###

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, need2know said:

Him just chucking it deep into triple coverage over and over again is on him though.  He looked like a rookie out there.  Then he's screaming at the wrs.  What an ###

Agree, always disliked his attitude.  But this is who he is. He's a "gunslinger" type who can get hot and win your week but can also be a giant baby.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

Imagine starting Allen against Smith and Hunt :X

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Imagine starting Allen against Smith and Hunt :X

I don't have to imagine it.

1 hour ago, Slapdash said:

Agree, always disliked his attitude.  But this is who he is. He's a "gunslinger" type who can get hot and win your week but can also be a giant baby.

I didn't pay attention to who was working with Tirico last night but he made some remark early about "does anybody smile more than Phillip Rivers?"

I was like....errr...have you ever watched the Chargers?

2 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

I didn't pay attention to who was working with Tirico last night but he made some remark early about "does anybody smile more than Phillip Rivers?"

Yeah, I chuckled too. It was Kurt Warner

2 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:
5 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Yeah, I chuckled too. It was Kurt Warner

I thought the pairings were Gumble/Green late and Tirico/Warner early

Just now, Slapdash said:

I thought the pairings were Gumble/Green late and Tirico/Warner early

You're right Tirico was the early game (he lives in Ann Arbor)

Keenan Allen - WR - Chargers

Keenan Allen (back) is expected to be "fine" for Week 16 at the Jets.

Allen was carted off in Saturday night's loss to Kansas City, missing the Chargers' final drive. With Hunter Henry's (kidney) status in question for Weeks 16-17, Allen will have to handle a particularly heavy passing-game load in two must-win games. The Chargers have fallen to 7-7, but they are still in the playoff hunt.

Dec 18 - 4:40 PM

Somewhat ironic that if Keenan plays, his owners may benefit from a lacerated kidney of his teammate. That injury was what torpedoed Keenan’s season two years ago.

Keenan Allen (back) is practicing in full for Week 16 against the Jets.

He tweaked his back late in Saturday's loss to Kansas City but wasn't even listed on the Chargers' injury report. Allen has averaged 120.2 yards over his last five games and should be a locked-in WR1 for championship week.

• Like 2

Is anyone trusting that his back is 100%? I have no choice but to take a chance on him in my redraft league but in my Dynasty with Julio, Hopkins and JuJu (I know I shouldn’t be crying about this) I need to make the right call.

Tex

11 minutes ago, BigTex said:

Is anyone trusting that his back is 100%? I have no choice but to take a chance on him in my redraft league but in my Dynasty with Julio, Hopkins and JuJu (I know I shouldn’t be crying about this) I need to make the right call.

Tex

If he's not on the injury report I don't know why you would be worried about it.

13 minutes ago, zftcg said:

If he's not on the injury report I don't know why you would be worried about it.

He could tweak it and be carted off the field like he was last week. I could be paranoid about it but I probably should be. 

Tex

8 minutes ago, BigTex said:

He could tweak it and be carted off the field like he was last week. I could be paranoid about it but I probably should be. 

Tex

If I were being overly paranoid about a guy getting pulled mid-game because of injury, I sure as hell wouldn't put all my chips on Julio and JuJu.

• Like 1

Just now, zftcg said:

If I were being overly paranoid about a guy getting pulled mid-game because of injury, I sure as hell wouldn't put all my chips on Julio and JuJu.

LMAO FAIR ENOUGH!!!!!

Tex

• Like 1

With Henry going down, Keenan may catch 150 balls this year (only slightly over-exaggerating).

Now he just has to make it through the season two years in a row. :fingerscrossed:

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 3

I don't think the Henry injury would change my expectations for Allen much. Henry caught 45-579-4 last year so nothing outstanding for a TE. Bring back Gates or bring in a guy like Fleener and you get someone who probably pretty much replaces those targets.

2 minutes ago, Warhogs said:

I don't think the Henry injury would change my expectations for Allen much. Henry caught 45-579-4 last year so nothing outstanding for a TE. Bring back Gates or bring in a guy like Fleener and you get someone who probably pretty much replaces those targets.

I suspect Henry was in for an expanded role this season, so while it may not improve Allen's numbers from last seasson, which were awesome, it may help to keep them close to the same - which should make Allen owners very happy.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Warhogs said:

Henry and Gates combined for 114 targets and now they're both gone and the replacement options available don't look very good. It won't be crazy, but there will be a few more targets to go around. 

2 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:

Henry and Gates combined for 114 targets and now they're both gone and the replacement options available don't look very good. It won't be crazy, but there will be a few more targets to go around. 

Agreed, although the overall passing attempts will of course be a function of how good/bad the Chargers' defense is. If Rivers isn't forced to chuck the ball as much, it might be a wash in terms of incremental targets among all the receivers.

1 minute ago, zamboni said:

Agreed, although the overall passing attempts will of course be a function of how good/bad the Chargers' defense is. If Rivers isn't forced to chuck the ball as much, it might be a wash in terms of incremental targets among all the receivers.

Very true. He attempted 575 passes last season which doesn't seem like much in this day and age. As a team they were 8th in attempts with 584. Median was 541. Typically (although not always) when you have an above average QB, you thrown an above average amount of passes... so I don't expect much change in his pass attempts this season. The last time Rivers threw less than 570 times was 2013. Either way, this feels like over analyzing. Keenan was a likely candidate for 150 targets before and after the Henry injury. In the last half of the year he had 86 targets for 62/845/5. :shock:

• Like 2

2018 NFL Supplemental Draft offers value; Keenan Allen's secret

Excerpt:

1) Whether anyone realizes it or not, Keenan Allen is one of the game's best players. If the Los Angeles Chargers are going to make a run at the AFC West title, Allen will have to play at an All-Pro level. Despite Philip Rivers' presence, No. 13 is the engine that really makes the Chargers' offense go. Don't believe me? Just take a look at the 2017 campaign.

After starting off the season at 3-6, the Bolts rampaged to six wins in their final seven games. During those six victories, Allen posted five 100-yard games and scored five touchdowns. He became the first player in NFL history to post 10-plus catches, 100-plus yards and at least one touchdown in three straight games during the wins over Buffalo, Dallas and Cleveland. Allen quietly finished the season with 102 receptions and 1,393 receiving yards, earning his first Pro Bowl berth and the NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award.

I bet you didn't realize that Allen's numbers put him in the neighborhood of Antonio Brown (101 catches for 1,533 receiving yards) and Julio Jones (88 catches for 1,444 receiving yards), but the Chargers star is worthy of being included in the discussion as one of the top receivers in the game.

"Allen is a freakish route runner," an AFC offensive assistant told me. "He is a big receiver who runs routes like a little guy. He has some crazy releases and stems that you typically don't see from a receiver of his size.

"He's like a streetball basketball player with the moves, but he's disciplined and detailed. It's hard to find big guys with those skills."

To that point, Allen is one of the most dynamic route runners in the league. He displays exceptional stop-start quickness, balance and body control while slipping past defenders at the line against press coverage. In addition, Allen will use a variety of fakes and wiggles at the top of routes to create separation from defenders out of his breaks. Although he's not regarded as a blazer, based on the reported 4.71 40 time at his pro day back in 2013, Allen is a deceptive playmaker capable of winning on intermediate and vertical routes on the perimeter.

"He's a dog!" an NFC scouting assistant told me. "He's one of the top pass catchers in the game, but people rarely talk about him. I love his game. ... He's special."

Looking at the Chargers' offensive personnel, Allen must be the No. 1 option for the team to succeed in a highly competitive AFC West. The lack of an established playmaker over the middle, due to Hunter Henry's season-ending injury, puts more responsibility on Allen to spit out 100-yard games on a routine basis. Sure, the team has high hopes for Mike Williams, Travis Benjamin and Tyrell Williams as complementary threats, but the passing game begins and ends with No. 13 and his remarkable talents.

With Rivers poised to post another 4,000-yard season in an offense that operates with a pass-first premise, Allen could carry the Chargers to a postseason berth and put up MVP-caliber numbers as one of the best-kept secrets in the game.

• Like 4

Keenan is proven as a top WR and has relatively little competition for balls in a very solid offense, he'll be a target hog, perhaps the #1 targeted receiver in all of the NFL.

I'm targeting Keenan in most formats at his current ADP.

• Like 4

Just now, VikingFrog said:

Just showed up as questionable on my yahoo app but didn’t hear any news?

He was not present for the media portion of practice...

Chargers WR Travis Benjamin was practicing in an open media session for the first time since, at the latest, Friday. WR Keenan Allen not practicing but Anthony Lynn said on Mon. he thought Allen wasn't banged up.

https://twitter.com/Sam4TR/status/1045055854829957120

Wednesday rest day, possibly, but his snap count percentage was down last week (mid seventies instead of eighty five +) and was seen limping, and the suspicion was he was dealing with some kind of injury and might miss some practice this week.

• Like 1

So I assume nobody really knows, right? Seems likely to be a veteran rest day, right?

41 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

So I assume nobody really knows, right? Seems likely to be a veteran rest day, right?

The decreased snap count and late game limping signals it might be slightly more than a veteran rest day, but yeah no one really knows. I expect a limited practice tomorrow with Friday being the real indicator, so I don't expect any real news until then.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

The decreased snap count and late game limping signals it might be slightly more than a veteran rest day, but yeah no one really knows. I expect a limited practice tomorrow with Friday being the real indicator, so I don't expect any real news until then.

Not that it means anything but I thought I read a quote from the HC Sunday saying he didn’t think it was anything significant. 

15 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Not that it means anything but I thought I read a quote from the HC Sunday saying he didn’t think it was anything significant. 

I wouldn't trust anything HC Lynn says about injuries. He has been proven to understate them for multiple players in his limited time with the Chargers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

I wouldn't trust anything HC Lynn says about injuries. He has been proven to understate them for multiple players in his limited time with the Chargers.

Thanks for the heads up. 

33 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

DNP again today. Mike Williams could be a very solid play against SF if Allen ends up sitting out this weekend.

Ugh this sucks

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cantstop1999 said:

Could be a tooth problem, could possibly practice tomorrow 

He’s got teeth in his knees?

4 minutes ago, zamboni said:

He’s got teeth in his knees?

No his teeth are in someone elses knees. When they said knee injury, they never said who's knee was hurt.