What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CJ Anderson (2 Viewers)

ImTheScientist said:
Bronco Billy said:
TeeDub said:
Anyone who knows with certainty how this will shake out and how the RBs will be used is either Nostrodamus or certifiably nuts.

And Ball dropping weight has me downright intrigued after watching Bell's game change completely when he dropped poundage.

Fwiw - dynasty owner of Ball, Hillman, and Anderson, so no real dog in the fight as long as one emerges as the bell cow.
I don't think it's too smart to compare ball's weight loss to le'veon bell's. Le'veon lost the weight during a healthy offseason, while montee ball lost it in a month WITH a groin injury. How much training could have ball really done to lose weight while still gaining power and elusiveness?
:lol: Well thanks professor. Did you consider that he may have lost the weight while rehabbing? Or that he put on and kept on the extra weight by eating poorly in an effort to maintain the extra mass?

Forgive me if I take Ball's word that he feels much better at the lower weight instead of putting my faith in a smart guy like you.
Do you expect Ball to say he feels like crap? TBH both your arguments are just filled with opinion and little fact.
That you're here defending his position makes me feel much better about my opinion.
You opinion aside, you come off pretty smug. Not a good quality.

CJ is the guy IMHO

I can't really explain why his playing time went down after the Ball injury, but now that he has broken out, he can't be ignored,,,
People said exactly the same thing about Hillman and he did it for four games. What happens when he comes back?What happens if Ball starts producing (and I think it is a virtual certainty that he will get an opportunity to prove he is healthy and the back they thought he was at the end of training camp)?

Clear as mud IMO.
Why would you think its a virtual certainty? He has never produced....in fact he has always been outproduced by every RB on the roster.
He's the only one who can play the position the way Peyton likes. IMO that's why he gets his spot back sooner than later.
Is that so? Is that why it took an amazing play by CJ to get Denver's offense on track last week? Prior to that play, Peyton had 2 interceptions and looked awful. After the TD by Anderson he was something like 12-14 for ~170 yards and 4 more TD's. If Peyton throws that pass to Ball or Hillman, it ends up being at best a 5 yard gain and Denver punts. I doubt Peyton prefers that. He mentioned that play multiple times as a game changer.

CJ is the guy IMHO

I can't really explain why his playing time went down after the Ball injury, but now that he has broken out, he can't be ignored,,,
People said exactly the same thing about Hillman and he did it for four games. What happens when he comes back?What happens if Ball starts producing (and I think it is a virtual certainty that he will get an opportunity to prove he is healthy and the back they thought he was at the end of training camp)?

Clear as mud IMO.
Why would you think its a virtual certainty? He has never produced....in fact he has always been outproduced by every RB on the roster.
He's the only one who can play the position the way Peyton likes. IMO that's why he gets his spot back sooner than later.
Is that so? Is that why it took an amazing play by CJ to get Denver's offense on track last week? Prior to that play, Peyton had 2 interceptions and looked awful. After the TD by Anderson he was something like 12-14 for ~170 yards and 4 more TD's. If Peyton throws that pass to Ball or Hillman, it ends up being at best a 5 yard gain and Denver punts. I doubt Peyton prefers that. He mentioned that play multiple times as a game changer.
Is that so?

CJ is the guy IMHO

Clear as mud IMO.
Is that so?
That is so. Maybe you think either of those guys have the skillet to make that play. But I sure as hell don't. Could have easily been a 3 yard loss, so I'm being generous by saying that they turn it into a 5 yard gain.

It's a pointless argument in any case. Obviously I was stating an opinion--not a stone cold fact. That I stated it in a matter of fact manner is semantics. My point was clear. Anderson made a play that changed the course of the game. It took away any momentum Oakland had and got Denver's offense on track. It wasn't just a special play, it was a game changer. And I don't think it's a stretch to assume Peyton prefers to have game changing RBs in the backfield with him. But hey, maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a pointless argument in any case. Obviously I was stating an opinion--not a stone cold fact. That I stated it in a matter of fact manner is semantics. My point was clear. Anderson made a play that changed the course of the game. It took away any momentum Oakland had and got Denver's offense on track. It wasn't just a special play, it was a game changer. And I don't think it's a stretch to assume Peyton prefers to have game changing RBs in the backfield with him. But hey, maybe I'm wrong.
So? You think if they punted on that drive the Denver offense wouldn't have gotten on track and still crushed the Raiders?

It was a great play, and he had an awesome game but if Hillman didn't get locked into the starting role after three straight 100+ yard games and two TDs (along with another 60+yards and two TDs in his worst game) then I don't think we should start putting the CJ Anderson cart before the horse.

This is his second opportunity, let's at least let him turn in two straight good games (making it a coincidence instead of an anomaly and not quite a fact).

So? You think if they punted on that drive the Denver offense wouldn't have gotten on track and still crushed the Raiders?It was a great play, and he had an awesome game but if Hillman didn't get locked into the starting role after three straight 100+ yard games and two TDs (along with another 60+yards and two TDs in his worst game) then I don't think we should start putting the CJ Anderson cart before the horse.

This is his second opportunity, let's at least let him turn in two straight good games (making it a coincidence instead of an anomaly and not quite a fact).
My post said nothing of what would happen long term. It was in response to the person who implied that Anderson is not the type of back Peyton likes to play with. My entire point was that any quarterback would want to play with running backs who make plays like that.

Bronco Billy said:
TeeDub said:
Anyone who knows with certainty how this will shake out and how the RBs will be used is either Nostrodamus or certifiably nuts.

And Ball dropping weight has me downright intrigued after watching Bell's game change completely when he dropped poundage.

Fwiw - dynasty owner of Ball, Hillman, and Anderson, so no real dog in the fight as long as one emerges as the bell cow.
I don't think it's too smart to compare ball's weight loss to le'veon bell's. Le'veon lost the weight during a healthy offseason, while montee ball lost it in a month WITH a groin injury. How much training could have ball really done to lose weight while still gaining power and elusiveness?
:lol:

Well thanks professor. Did you consider that he may have lost the weight while rehabbing? Or that he put on and kept on the extra weight by eating poorly in an effort to maintain the extra mass?

Forgive me if I take Ball's word that he feels much better at the lower weight instead of putting my faith in a smart guy like you.
Not trying to hijack your argument, but I'd trust a retired, bloated circus elephant surrounded by peanut shells more than I would an NFL player with regard to his health. Every time I read a guy is "feeling better," he's usually feeling anything but better. Maybe it's different in this case, but "the player said it" or "the team said it" carries little weight with me. Been burned too many times.

So? You think if they punted on that drive the Denver offense wouldn't have gotten on track and still crushed the Raiders?It was a great play, and he had an awesome game but if Hillman didn't get locked into the starting role after three straight 100+ yard games and two TDs (along with another 60+yards and two TDs in his worst game) then I don't think we should start putting the CJ Anderson cart before the horse.

My post said nothing of what would happen long term. It was in response to the person who implied that Anderson is not the type of back Peyton likes to play with. My entire point was that any quarterback would want to play with running backs who make plays like that.
This is going to come off as me being a complete jerk and I apologize for that in advance but that's not much of a point.

Manning was effusive with his praise of the play because it was a great play and worthy of praise but what happens when CJ (or any RB) doesn't pick up a blitzing LB or safety? Which one do you think a QB cares about more?

This is going to come off as me being a complete jerk and I apologize for that in advance but that's not much of a point.Manning was effusive with his praise of the play because it was a great play and worthy of praise but what happens when CJ (or any RB) doesn't pick up a blitzing LB or safety? Which one do you think a QB cares about more?
You don't sound like a jerk so no need to apologize. I guess it depends on how often and to what degree each situation occurs. Wouldn't you agree? Of course that's the big question. One, can CJ continue to make special plays. Two, can he keep Peyton's jersey clean enough to continue to get that chance. I believe the answer to question 1 is yes. Question 2, well that's the big unknown... I'm cautiously optimistic but not to the point that I'm willing to make any declarations beyond "CJ is the best pure runner Denver has and I don't think it's close."

This is going to come off as me being a complete jerk and I apologize for that in advance but that's not much of a point.Manning was effusive with his praise of the play because it was a great play and worthy of praise but what happens when CJ (or any RB) doesn't pick up a blitzing LB or safety? Which one do you think a QB cares about more?
Why do you think Ball can block any better than CJ? I mean, arguably CJ is the best man for the job just on size alone.

Why do you think Ball can block any better than CJ? I mean, arguably CJ is the best man for the job just on size alone.
Because Ball was #1 out of camp and was playing on a higher % of snaps than almost any other RB in the league through the first 3 games. That suggests, very strongly, that the Broncos think he is the best man for the job. I believe Adam Harsted has also provided data on how well Ball graded out in pass protection earlier this season.

CJ OTOH was #3/4 on the depth chart all season and while he made a spectacular play on a catch and run, and ran through gigantic holes in the Raiders defensive front last Sunday we don't have much to go on when it comes to his ability to pass protect.

We will find out a lot more starting tomorrow in St. Louis. I consider CJ a great start tomorrow but I am not willing to sell out on his viability ROS.

Only two weeks ago it was all-Hillman-all-the-time and this, like that, has flavor of the week/month written all over it. At least Hillman put up a sustained body of work to defend his case to start CJ hasn't had that opportunity yet. I may be wrong and will own it if I am but I have been saying for awhile now that the Denver RB situation is about as clear as mud.

being big doesn't make anyone a good blocker. it's technique and knowing your responsibilities

having watched all 3 RBs, CJ has consistently been the best runner of the 3 since he's entered the league. but he's had VERY few opps despite that--which leads me to think his blocking probably has a lot to do with it. But he's been in the system for 1.5 yrs now and I'd think he's grown comfortable in it. We'll see, but him being slightly bigger than any RB has nothing to do with his blocking prowess.

Because Ball was #1 out of camp and was playing on a higher % of snaps than almost any other RB in the league through the first 3 games. That suggests, very strongly, that the Broncos think he is the best man for the job. I believe Adam Harsted has also provided data on how well Ball graded out in pass protection earlier this season.

CJ OTOH was #3/4 on the depth chart all season and while he made a spectacular play on a catch and run, and ran through gigantic holes in the Raiders defensive front last Sunday we don't have much to go on when it comes to his ability to pass protect.

We will find out a lot more starting tomorrow in St. Louis. I consider CJ a great start tomorrow but I am not willing to sell out on his viability ROS.

Only two weeks ago it was all-Hillman-all-the-time and this, like that, has flavor of the week/month written all over it. At least Hillman put up a sustained body of work to defend his case to start CJ hasn't had that opportunity yet. I may be wrong and will own it if I am but I have been saying for awhile now that the Denver RB situation is about as clear as mud.
I don't think John Fox bases his starting decisions on what players did in the preseason over what a healthy back did to help him win last week

In hindsight we might look back to what C.J. did last week because what he did could legitimately be considered a breakout game with 90 yards rushing and 70 receiving yards, something that only four other Broncos had done in history.

And don't forget but the argument he's a poor pas blocker was also said about Montee Ball but when Ball and C.J. were rookies many said Ball was worse in pass protection.

Pass protection is the main reason why rookie running back, even high draft pick rookie RBs don't see the field till they work on it but C.J. has been in the league for a couple of years now so that argument seems tired and probably isn't accurate for where C.J. is in pass-pro today.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26935204/c-j-anderson-earns-longer-look-after-romp

... Coaches and teammates noticed. It provided the platform for the game at Oakland, along with his improved pass blocking.

"It's gotten a lot better," he said. "It's a mind-set."

Anderson finished with 90 yards rushing and 73 yards receiving against the Raiders, only the fifth Broncos running back to post at least 70 in each category. The play of the season, as No. 18, quarterback Peyton Manning dubbed it...

Well, the only thing I can add is that you all need to start Anderson with complete confidence. Enjoy the results.
You lose a lot of credibility when you make a statement like this. There is no possible way you can say with complete confidence that CJ is the guy this week. You may be guessing that but it sounds more like hoping.
Either your sarcasm meter is in the shop or the quote you posted was the only response you read. Thanks for the crticism on my credibilty though.

ImTheScientist said:
Bronco Billy said:
TeeDub said:

:lol: Well thanks professor. Did you consider that he may have lost the weight while rehabbing? Or that he put on and kept on the extra weight by eating poorly in an effort to maintain the extra mass?

Do you expect Ball to say he feels like crap? TBH both your arguments are just filled with opinion and little fact.
That you're here defending his position makes me feel much better about my opinion.
Thanks for taking the time to post that. I'll take it under advisement.

A measured take from the Roto Experts on the whole Monte Ball C.J. Anderson debate with emphasis on C.J. Anderson.

The bottom line is that they think C.J. is touchdown dependent and they feel Montee Ball will get goal line touches so they think he'll get 10 to 12 touches and that is all.

My take is he would get 12-15 touches for 65 to 70 yards on the ground with minimum 3 receptions for 35 yards with an outside chance to score so my projections are not wildly different than theirs but I like the upside for Anderson moreso than other comparable backs Sunday since many are caught in injury/BYE week binds on the brink of fantasy playoffs and are weighing options.

The text below is not a direct quote but a quick-and-dirty synapsis but you can hear the audio at the link:

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmfantasy/montee-ball-or-cj-anderson-rotoexperts-let-you-know

Tony Cincotta and George Kurtz let you know if you should start Montee Ball or CJ Anderson this week on RotoExperts.

Posted on Nov 15, 2014 by

TONY: I've got a lot of lineups with C.J. Anderson in it.

GEORGE: I think Denver has to go with C.J. Anderson this week. The biggest question was can he pick up the blitz and protect Peyton Manning.

What did he do last week? He picked up the blitz and protected Peyton Manning.

Why did Ball lose his job last year? He couldn't pick up the blitz and protect Peyton Manning. So if I'm Denver I ain't fixing what ain't broken so I think you have to give him first chance.

TONY: St. Louis is ranked 11th against the run but they are atrocious against the pass and we know Denver will pass so how much emphasis will the run game even be in this game? I think the expectations are a shot at a goal line carry and 10-12 touches and that should be the expectations with C.J. Anderson.

GEORGE: I TOTALLY agree. He's not getting 18-20 touches, we know Peyton is going to throw the ball here. If C.J. doesn't get in the end zone you're going to be disappointed. Lets face it, he's not going to have another 60 yard catch again where he goes through the entire Raiders defense... That's lucky so you need to get that goal line carry there and we're hearing that Ball is going to be the goal line carrier even when Hillman gets back in there so its a mess. I'm not going to start him.

ImTheScientist said:
Bronco Billy said:
TeeDub said:

ImTheScientist said:
Bronco Billy said:
TeeDub said:

I don't think John Fox bases his starting decisions on what players did in the preseason over what a healthy back did to help him win last week

In hindsight we might look back to what C.J. did last week because what he did could legitimately be considered a breakout game with 90 yards rushing and 70 receiving yards, something that only four other Broncos had done in history.

And don't forget but the argument he's a poor pas blocker was also said about Montee Ball but when Ball and C.J. were rookies many said Ball was worse in pass protection.

Pass protection is the main reason why rookie running back, even high draft pick rookie RBs don't see the field till they work on it but C.J. has been in the league for a couple of years now so that argument seems tired and probably isn't accurate for where C.J. is in pass-pro today.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26935204/c-j-anderson-earns-longer-look-after-romp

... Coaches and teammates noticed. It provided the platform for the game at Oakland, along with his improved pass blocking.

"It's gotten a lot better," he said. "It's a mind-set."

Anderson finished with 90 yards rushing and 73 yards receiving against the Raiders, only the fifth Broncos running back to post at least 70 in each category. The play of the season, as No. 18, quarterback Peyton Manning dubbed it...
I think John Fox doesn't base his decisions on knee jerk reactions and judges a player on his entire body of work.

Thanks for raising the level of this thread so much by quoting all that crap just so you could bold the previous last statement.

I'll really, really take it under super serious advisement now

CJ is the guy IMHO

Clear as mud IMO.
Is that why Moreno beat him out last year?
Is Moreno on the roster? Thanks.

CJ is the guy IMHO

Clear as mud IMO.
Is that so?
That is so. Maybe you think either of those guys have the skillet to make that play. But I sure as hell don't. Could have easily been a 3 yard loss, so I'm being generous by saying that they turn it into a 5 yard gain.
There's this thing called pass protection that CJ and Hillman are mediocre at (at best).

I'm loving Montee Ball's value right now. I just picked him up off the free agent pool in 2 redrafts. Anderson and Hillman already rostered in both leagues.

I'm loving Montee Ball's value right now. I just picked him up off the free agent pool in 2 redrafts. Anderson and Hillman already rostered in both leagues.
Yeah same here. I'm not expecting him to do much in the short term but if he proves himself healthy he should get another shot at the job at some point, hopefully by the time the fantasy playoffs roll around. Good stash, would pick him up even if I had CJ

CJ is the guy IMHO

Clear as mud IMO.
Is that so?
There's this thing called pass protection that CJ and Hillman are mediocre at (at best).
There is this thing called rushing that Ball has shown to be mediocre at.

Yes, you're wrong... It was a nice play but this "game changing" hyperbole it a bit much when you consider this was the Oakland Raiders vs. the Denver Broncos. Take a step back and think about it....

I don't think we have much knowledge one way or another about CJ's ability in the passing game (we can only speculate from his position on the depth chart).

And Hillman was doing well in pass protection until the New England game, it wouldn't be the first time Belichick made that happen.

Good luck, guys. I had hoped to lock down the Broncos RB spot earlier this year, I have owned all of CJA, Ball and Hillman. My head is spinning. I'm pulling for Anderson but if there's one thing I hate in FF it's starting a RB just to see him split or sit. I have no idea why Anderson has been squirreled away as the No. 4 this year. Having said that it would be really exciting to see CJ finally take off.

Good luck, guys. I had hoped to lock down the Broncos RB spot earlier this year, I have owned all of CJA, Ball and Hillman. My head is spinning. I'm pulling for Anderson but if there's one thing I hate in FF it's starting a RB just to see him split or sit. I have no idea why Anderson has been squirreled away as the No. 4 this year. Having said that it would be really exciting to see CJ finally take off.
I've NEVER touched a Denver or New England RB position before this week when I picked up C.J. Anderson.

I think he had a break out game and later in the week the blurb came out that he became only the fourth Bronco to ever have 90 rushing yards and 73 receiving yards in a game and he didn't even start and basically only played the final three quarters so he basically gained 163 yards and his first NFL touchdown in about three quarters.

I think anyone would say that was a pretty good performance so how does that play into playing time moving forward? Go to the gate keeper and see how he bases that decision.

"... running backs coach Eric Studesville, is a leading practitioner of the see-who-has-the-hot-hand approach.

"It's 100 percent by gut," Studesville said. "I go in with a number in mind where I would like guys to be, where their performance has put them in the order. ... I like have a good dispersal. But when we get in the game and all of a sudden a guy gets rolling, then you want him to keep going. It's a feel thing."

He gives a standard answer of playing the hot hand.

Right now Anderson holds the hot hand.

And guess who got the start today?

-----------------------------------------------

Mike Klis @MikeKlis 17m

C.J. Anderson to start at running back: blogs.denverpost.com via @mikeklis

question is does start mean he will get the overwhelming amount of the snaps, or will it be more of a 50-50 with Ball?

Was set on Blue, but leaning towards CJ now.

Schefter: Broncos RB Ronnie Hillman was expected to miss at least 2 weeks with foot injury, but it also could be as many as 6 weeks, per sources.

Yup I'm torn on blue or Anderson now too
Browns run defense was terrible but picked it up over the last couple of games but they just lost DE Phil Talor to IR, third Browns D-Lineman to land on IR.

The Texans are starting a QB who is getting his first NFL start in four years of not playing, err he has attempted four passes, two incompletions, one completion, one interception good for a QB passer rating of 5.2 which is higher than Andy Dalton's 2 that the Browns handed him in Cincinnati on National TV so... theirs that.

Add Alfred Blue is a rookie making only his second NFL start so you have a rookie RB making his second NFL start along side a guy making his first NFL start at QB and an injury depleted Browns defensive line but the rest of the defense is playing solidly right now, they are the only NFL defense to have more interceptions (13) than TD passes allowed (12) and the game is at home in Cleveland where the Browns hold a 4-1 home record so the crowd will be in it.

I think Mallett will struggle and turn it over. The Texan offensive line has had issues handling the blitz and the Browns have some good outside LBers who can apply pressure so I think he'll be under pressure and Pettine has had extra time to concoct a defensive game plan to baffle him and don't forget that Brian Hoyer knows Mallett since they both were QBs in New England so Hoyer knows his strengths and weakness probably better than most so I'm sure he gave a few pointers to the defensive game plan.

The Browns will focus on stopping the run and take their chances so I'm not sure what Blue will do.

I think the floor for both Anderson and Blue will be about the same but think C.J.'s ceiling is higher.

Just heard that Montee Ball is from the St. Louis area so he's jazzed and he could have an inspired performance just like C.J. last week in Oakland where he bought something like 40 tickets for friends and family when he had no idea that Hillman would go down where he would get a shot to get significant playing time so just putting that out there.

C.J. still gets the start though.

CJ is the guy IMHO

Clear as mud IMO.
where did you read or hear this?

CJ is the guy IMHO

Clear as mud IMO.
Is that why Moreno beat him out last year?
Moreno beat him out beacuase Ball was a rookie. And we know how John Fox rolls with rookies
Moreno beat him out because Moreno was better last year. KM was buried on the depth chart to begin TC

Moreno beat him out because Moreno was better last year. KM was buried on the depth chart to begin TC
I agree that Moreno was better last year, at least for the first 3/4 of the season, but despite reports to the contrary I never believed that Moreno was the underdog going into TC. I think he was the known commodity and penciled in as the starter but the team wanted to see if Hillman or Montee could take his job from him and Hillman almost did until he fumbled away the opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread