What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CJ Anderson (2 Viewers)

CJ is an average talent with no pedigree. Save me the Arian Foster as he's not close to him. He needs to stay healthy and pass protect well which I hear he has been. You will see allot of Hillman on 3rd downs.

He just nothing to get excited about and not entrenched as the firm starter.

If a guy like Lynch goes down it's his job when he's healthy, CJ goes down and he may never get the job back, this is my point. He's the starter as long as he does everything good and stays healthy. Thin ice for the investment at his adp and one I'm not comfortable with.
Only bad teams use pedigree as to who should start or not. Do you believe the Broncos to be one of those teams?

Also, I have no idea why people say there is nothing to get excited about. Starting week 9 he only had one game below 90 total yards with four of them over 130 yards. He also had 6 games where he scored a TD (conversely, only two where he didn't score). I'm certainly not saying we need to discount the idea that he did it for half a season or the "fresh legs" theory, but the unknown makes it exciting by nature. Is there anyone really excited about seeing Ball or Hillman out there instead?

The answer is "no".

CJ is the best RB on this roster, but I agree with those that have risk concerns. I don't take high risk players in round 1. The bust rate of a first round RB is 43% and CJ could easily tweak an ankle and come back 4-6 weeks later splitting reps. The new coaching staff has nothing invested in him. Ball has limitations, but he is solid at the goal-line and I could see him being a TD succubus. Hillman is average.

CJ is the best RB on this roster, but I agree with those that have risk concerns. I don't take high risk players in round 1. The bust rate of a first round RB is 43% and CJ could easily tweak an ankle and come back 4-6 weeks later splitting reps. The new coaching staff has nothing invested in him. Ball has limitations, but he is solid at the goal-line and I could see him being a TD succubus. Hillman is average.
I keep seeing this and thinking "yeah, but they also have nothing invested in the other backs and they have all shown nothing when given the starting job". Makes me wonder if this is a necessary comment...

CJ is the best RB on this roster, but I agree with those that have risk concerns. I don't take high risk players in round 1. The bust rate of a first round RB is 43%
What's the bust rate of other positions in the first round?
Assuming he's talking fantasy probably a lot lower. QBs almost never bust (not the guys taken that early I mean) and WRs seem less likely since there's almost no chance of Calvin/Dez/Julio losing their jobs and less risk of injury than RBs.

Another thing to think about is the pass to run ratio and its impact last year. In weeks 1-11 Manning threw 67% of the time. In weeks 12-17 Manning threw 51% of the time. CJ did a bulk of his damage weeks 12-17.

I know they are saying the company line that they will run more this year. At the end of last year Manning was injured. By all accounts he is healthy now. He controls the offense. Some say he is a stat whore. Others say he is one of the best passers ever. What in either of those scenarios makes people think he will pass less?

This isn't a knock on CJ. This is a knock on the Denver running game as a whole. I have heard people say that the O-line is not very good as well.

These are a lot of concerns to have when drafting a guy late 1st/early 2nd.

I want to be clear. I am not arguing that Anderson will not be the guy. He very well could be. I'm saying that given Kubiak's history with RBs and also that Anderson has never played in a Kubiak offense until now, that there is a possibility that he is not the guy, and that one of the other backs could grab the job. That risk is not insignificant.
Agreed. There is always a risk of that with just about anyone ... especially when a new HC/OC comes in. However, I believe that risk is already baked into his ADP. Otherwise why would a RB that averaged the 2nd most fanasy points in the league when starting be taken in the bottom of the first round?
This

good posting here, I take A. Brown or Gronk, with that 8-12 first round pick. I never seen a thread with so many questions about what many feel is an elite RB, I don,t like uncertainty about my first round pick. That said he probably finish as the number one RB, but he won't be on any of my teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
CJ is an average talent with no pedigree. Save me the Arian Foster as he's not close to him. He needs to stay healthy and pass protect well which I hear he has been. You will see allot of Hillman on 3rd downs.

He just nothing to get excited about and not entrenched as the firm starter.

If a guy like Lynch goes down it's his job when he's healthy, CJ goes down and he may never get the job back, this is my point. He's the starter as long as he does everything good and stays healthy. Thin ice for the investment at his adp and one I'm not comfortable with.
I would agree that he's not Arian Foster but I would also point out that he's miles ahead of Montee Ball and a better feature back than Hillman. The one thing Kubiak has repeatedly shown is that he leans on a bellcow back for the vast majority of the work on all 3 downs. I would think the chances are better that CJ sees more 3rd down action than Hillman. I think Hillman will be 2nd in line for workload for sure, but I don't think it will eat into CJ's touches much.
There's the real problem here. He was miles ahead of an injured Ball last year. He may not be miles ahead of a healthy Ball. Ball showed a lot of promise as a rookie and it's a HUGE mistake to write him off.

CJA is a quality back, but there are other quality backs on that roster.

There's the real problem here. He was miles ahead of an injured Ball last year. He may not be miles ahead of a healthy Ball. Ball showed a lot of promise as a rookie and it's a HUGE mistake to write him off.

:goodposting:

CJ is the best RB on this roster, but I agree with those that have risk concerns. I don't take high risk players in round 1. The bust rate of a first round RB is 43%
Assuming he's talking fantasy probably a lot lower. QBs almost never bust (not the guys taken that early I mean) and WRs seem less likely since there's almost no chance of Calvin/Dez/Julio losing their jobs and less risk of injury than RBs.
wat

:shock:

I picking at #12 and if he's there I'm taking an elite WR. I'm not banking my entire team on whether or not this guy pans out.
Who would you take at 13, then?
2 out of Julio, Dez, D. Thomas, Beckham, and Gronk (we don't have a TE slot, just WR/TE)
Could make sense if this is full PPR. I like several of the RB2 guys for upside plays too.

However I hate the wrongheaded philosophy that a single bad pick (and at the end of the first round no less!) could destroy your season. Maybe if you're in the top 4 and the guy blows out a knee in Week 1, but at the back of the round you're getting two solid guys guaranteed which allows for more risk IMO.

I like Anderson this year, but I agree that his ADP is getting out of hand. I still have him below J. Hill and D. Murray.

The RB crop is thin this year though, and it's getting worse with injuries to Foster and McCoy. So I really can't blame someone taking a chance with Anderson early if they really want a running back in the first, especially since I think WR is very deep this year.

wat

:shock:
Who are the guys taken 1st round over the last 15 years? Peyton/Brady/Rodgers. Maybe Luck? Peyton and Brady both lost one year. Otherwise they've consistently finished highly. Rodgers missed 7 games a few years ago otherwise he has been consistent. I'm not sure Luck has ever been a first round pick (at most last year). I don't think Brees was ever more than a 2nd or 3rd rounder. They almost never bust.

Well Cecil Lammey was just on SiriusXM fantasy and said CJ should come off the board right after the top 3 RB and don't bother with a handcuff.

Well Cecil Lammey was just on SiriusXM fantasy and said CJ should come off the board right after the top 3 RB and don't bother with a handcuff.
Honestly, I do t listen to him but based on the reputation... Draft him after the top 10 RBs and get both handcuffs?

jurb26 said:
ponchsox said:
Honestly, I do t listen to him but based on the reputation... Draft him after the top 10 RBs and get both handcuffs?
This. History is on your side jurb.

ponchsox said:
tangfoot said:
ponchsox said:
I picking at #12 and if he's there I'm taking an elite WR. I'm not banking my entire team on whether or not this guy pans out.
2 out of Julio, Dez, D. Thomas, Beckham, and Gronk (we don't have a TE slot, just WR/TE)
you really think 2 of those will be on the board?

If the top 5rbs go, then gronk and let's even throw a slip up on luck in there, that's 7 players. Julio/Dez/DT/ODB should make up the rest, so I'd assume that ZERO (not two) of those guys you listed will be available at 12?

ponchsox said:
tangfoot said:
ponchsox said:
you really think 2 of those will be on the board?If the top 5rbs go, then gronk and let's even throw a slip up on luck in there, that's 7 players. Julio/Dez/DT/ODB should make up the rest, so I'd assume that ZERO (not two) of those guys you listed will be available at 12?
Based on my league's drafting history, here's who I predict who will be gone before me.

(In no particular order) AP, Bell, Charles, Lacy, Brown, Lynch, Forte, Luck, CJA, and 3 of the 5 I listed leaving me with two WR or if I change my mind I can go WR and Hill at #13.

ponchsox said:
tangfoot said:
ponchsox said:
you really think 2 of those will be on the board?If the top 5rbs go, then gronk and let's even throw a slip up on luck in there, that's 7 players. Julio/Dez/DT/ODB should make up the rest, so I'd assume that ZERO (not two) of those guys you listed will be available at 12?
Based on my league's drafting history, here's who I predict who will be gone before me.(In no particular order) AP, Bell, Charles, Lacy, Brown, Lynch, Forte, Luck, CJA, and 3 of the 5 I listed leaving me with two WR or if I change my mind I can go WR and Hill at #13.
Interested in your leagues lineup and scoring rules. Seems like most PPR leagues without a major lineup bias favoring RBs are rarely seeing more than 4-5 RBs go in the 1st. You predict 7 of the 12 picks to be RBs. I don't know; guess it all depends on your league rules.

renesauz said:

Well, I had written off Ball before he ever became a bronco so it really has nothing to do with his injury for me. I also haven't heard a single report out of camp stating that Ball has looked special at all. All the camp reports rave about CJ. When I hear or see something positive about Ball, I'll start giving him a closer look.

renesauz said:

Well, I had written off Ball before he ever became a bronco so it really has nothing to do with his injury for me. I also haven't heard a single report out of camp stating that Ball has looked special at all. All the camp reports rave about CJ. When I hear or see something positive about Ball, I'll start giving him a closer look.
Now your position makes a lot more sense. Not the position itself, per se, but why you have taken it.

renesauz said:

Now your position makes a lot more sense. Not the position itself, per se, but why you have taken it.
And I try to continually re-evaluate players. I actually wanted to see Ball make a jump this offseason as I think he'd be a great buy low with all the CJ love. I'm just not seeing/reading anything to get me excited yet. Anyone have a quote from any reputable source saying Ball has impressed in camp?

And I try to continually re-evaluate players. I actually wanted to see Ball make a jump this offseason as I think he'd be a great buy low with all the CJ love. I'm just not seeing/reading anything to get me excited yet. Anyone have a quote from any reputable source saying Ball has impressed in camp?
Crickets? :oldunsure:

Based on my league's drafting history, here's who I predict who will be gone before me.

(In no particular order) AP, Bell, Charles, Lacy, Brown, Lynch, Forte, Luck, CJA, and 3 of the 5 I listed leaving me with two WR or if I change my mind I can go WR and Hill at #13.
Forte ahead of Anderson?

You're right on one thing. Those are likely the guys going in the top 14. However, I don't think ANY of julio/dez/DT/ODB is going to be there for you at 13. Chances are it could be those 5 WRs gone, plus the big 5 RBs + CJA. At 12/13 you could be stuck with Forte+luck. Ouch.

Based on my league's drafting history, here's who I predict who will be gone before me.(In no particular order) AP, Bell, Charles, Lacy, Brown, Lynch, Forte, Luck, CJA, and 3 of the 5 I listed leaving me with two WR or if I change my mind I can go WR and Hill at #13.
Forte ahead of Anderson?
He is much safer than Anderson, with a higher floor, imo.

I'll be honest, I'd rather have Hillman based on what I've seen/heard.

same here. kubiak basically admitted that ball didn't have the speed to do any stretch type of run.

Agreed ... and I don't believe Hillman is an every down back ... hence the reason I am not too worried about CJ.

Agreed ... and I don't believe Hillman is an every down back ... hence the reason I am not too worried about CJ.
Why does Hillman need to be an every down back to create concern with Anderson?

Haven't we already discussed the fact that Kubiak has publicly come out this offseason and explicitly stated he prefers to use a bellcow back? I'm just putting 2 and 2 together here. It doesn't get much clearer than CJ's situation. There are much dicier "starting" RB's to debate over. To me, this isn't even close.

Hillman's cut out to be a perfect change of pace compliment to a workhorse, not be the workhorse. In a complimentary role Hillman is a valuable asset. Give him too much work and you risk losing that asset. Therefore, CJ owners have no reason to be concerned with Hillman affecting CJ's workload.

Hillman's cut out to be a perfect change of pace compliment to a workhorse, not be the workhorse. In a complimentary role Hillman is a valuable asset. Give him too much work and you risk losing that asset. Therefore, CJ owners have no reason to be concerned with Hillman affecting CJ's workload.
So he's basically Gio Bernard but we're supposed to be concerned with Hill's workload and not Anderson's?

So he's basically Gio Bernard but we're supposed to be concerned with Hill's workload and not Anderson's?
And there's plenty of us that are not concerned about workload for either, both CJ and Hill are legit Bellcow RB1s and are being drafted as such in most leagues.

Frankly I think they are 6/7 or 7/6 for RB rankings. I like CJ, being a Broncos homer, but both are legit #1 RBs with a good chance of finishing in top 5.

The Denver gravy train with TD and Mike Anderson was just too good to me many moons ago... the thought of Kubiak returning and Anderson's (CJ!) running style in that system is almost too much for me to take. Now you've got Manning and his ability to read defenses, adjust blocking, and calling the right play (audible when needed), and it **is** too much for me to take. Anderson will be a clear STUD.

And there's plenty of us that are not concerned about workload for either, both CJ and Hill are legit Bellcow RB1s and are being drafted as such in most leagues.
Lots of talk about CJ's backups, but nothing much about the oline. No concerns here? Isn't there a few guys who have never played a snap? Seems like a messy line situation there this year but not sure how that will affect him.

I felt that CJA was a solid pick early on, with low risk despite his lack of history due to the coaching/running situation and Manning. Now I read conflicting reports, that the O-line is substantially week (but then listening to On the Couch, that the o-line only needs time to get the technique down and doesn't need behemoth man-movers).Then I hear that Montee Ball is too slow to run the zone stretch to the outside and that this backfield is solidly in CJ's hands. Now I'm back to square one thinking CJ is a solid mid first pick.

Any truth out there to the O-line issues or Ball not being able to run the stretch play?

CJ is a solid value on Fanduel week 1 at $8,400, virtually interchangeable with Lacy and Murray for price. I've got to give the edge to Lacy at this point, however, due to o-line concerns and the Packers increased speed of play. I think CJ is probably a safer pick than Murray however, but think Murray is a really nice tourney play against the Falcons defense. He could rip off 150+ yards in huge chunks, but CJ seems to have a little more stability compared to Murray (despite the Broncos o-line issues).

Lol. The stretch play in the zone blocking scheme is hardly a quick hitter. It's all about timing and then recognizing and hitting the seam as it happens.

Some interesting perspective in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread