What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CJ Anderson (3 Viewers)

Lol. The stretch play in the zone blocking scheme is hardly a quick hitter. It's all about timing and then recognizing and hitting the seam as it happens.

Some interesting perspective in this thread.
Fair enough, but I thought that was discussed On the Couch this past week with Bloom and Bob Harris.

So he's basically Gio Bernard but we're supposed to be concerned with Hill's workload and not Anderson's?
not taking a side w/ anyone on this, but Kubes compared Hillman to Forsett earlier this training camp. I thought it was offseason fluff until last week when Hillman looked like (last year's) Forsett with a decent amount of carries.

maybe it's nothing, but I'm just posting it in here as an fyi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, if there is a threat to CJ it is Hillman who put on at 10 lbs this offseason. It isn't ball who was just caught from behind by a DL.

rascal said:
JetMaxx said:
rascal said:
JetMaxx said:
The talent is there but the OL scares me away at the price he's carrying.
frankly, im more worried about manning
Why?
I'm not 100% certain his crappy performance at the end of last year was all injury related, and his performance tonight didn't alleviate those fears.
Wow ... are you actually saying that a healthy Peyton Manning would be a detriment to this team? That's one of the most bizarre things I've ever read on this board. I'm not a colts fan or even a Manning fan for the most part but I think a record setting 17yr career is enough to say that a QB is better than average when healthy and not a detractor from a RB's fantasy value.

rascal said:
JetMaxx said:
rascal said:
JetMaxx said:
Why?
I'm not 100% certain his crappy performance at the end of last year was all injury related, and his performance tonight didn't alleviate those fears.
Wow ... are you actually saying that a healthy Peyton Manning would be a detriment to this team? That's one of the most bizarre things I've ever read on this board. I'm not a colts fan or even a Manning fan for the most part but I think a record setting 17yr career is enough to say that a QB is better than average when healthy and not a detractor from a RB's fantasy value.
Pretty sure he's not saying that.

rascal said:
JetMaxx said:
rascal said:
JetMaxx said:
Why?
that's not what I said.

rascal said:
JetMaxx said:
rascal said:
JetMaxx said:
Why?
Pretty sure that he is saying th exact opposite. Manning's age is really becoming a concern and he was really exposed last year. Some of it was injury but if manning is falling off, that could hurt cj a bit. Obviously the advantage of a great qb is that the d can't crowd the box. If manning stinks it up, they will focus on stopping cj

Lots of reasons to suspect that extrapolating last year's numbers for CJ is a mistake:

1) May take time for new offense to gel

2) Offensive line woes

3) He's never done it for a full year

4) May not be as effective in new scheme

5) Not terribly talented

Lots of reasons to suspect that extrapolating last year's numbers for CJ is a mistake:

2) Offensive line woes

5) Not terribly talented
You didn't even list the biggest reason. That being his touch count over the stretch everyone is continually referencing is not sustainable.

2) Offensive line woes

5) Not terribly talented
I'd love to see your rankings

Latest from Rotoworld. Is Hillman a threat to this guy?

9News' Mike Klis said Broncos RB Ronnie Hillman is now the "1B runner behind C.J. Anderson."
Hillman has been electric this preseason, averaging 7.5 yards on his 16 carries. The hot start has allowed Hillman to blow past Montee Ball on the depth chart, and it appears he is in a position to steal carries from Anderson as well. Hillman has struggled before when given big workloads and lacks the ideal size to be a true feature back, but he is a great change of pace option who can rip off big chunk plays. If Anderson falters, Hillman has the talent to pick up the slack.Aug 24 - 11:42 AM
Source: 9News

Idk if Hillman is a threat to CJA or not, but... I will say that Kubiak has compared Hillman to Forsett, who he fell in love with last year with the Ravens.

Is anyone really surprised by this? Hillman has been outstanding so far. The shark move 2 weeks ago was to draft/pay for hillman as cj insurance... Now his price went up

Certainly not surprised by the news...kind of a bummer, was hoping CJ would get his ADP higher than some more studs. This may put a dent in his laughable ADP rise.

Certainly not surprised by the news...kind of a bummer, was hoping CJ would get his ADP higher than some more studs. This may put a dent in his laughable ADP rise.
I was thinking the same thing when I saw this news. With all of the hype around CJ I have been loving seeing his ADP climb into the 1st round. I don't know if a RBBC back will stay there.

Crap, I was counting on this guy going ahead of a slew of other RBs I'd much rather have; Hill, Forte, Murray & Miller to name a few. Now that's in jeapordy.

some talking head says this and we are taking it as gospel??
I'm with you. Who is the schmuck reporting this? For all I know, this dude is a random reporter who is making this report based on his personal eye ball test during the games. I see this as the most likely scenario. Every CJA owner has been worried about and on top of this issue since preseason got underway. He made an deduction based on what he's seen but brings no new facts to the table. Nothing has changed as far as anyone knows

some talking head says this and we are taking it as gospel??
I'm with you. Who is the schmuck reporting this? For all I know, this dude is a random reporter who is making this report based on his personal eye ball test during the games. I see this as the most likely scenario. Every CJA owner has been worried about and on top of this issue since preseason got underway. He made an deduction based on what he's seen but brings no new facts to the table. Nothing has changed as far as anyone knows
Ya. I admit, I fell into the trap. It's still panic that sets in when you've drafted him and you read that. I should know better then to trust rotoworld I guess.

Reporter is Mike klis, been on Bronco beat forever... Probably not even a month ago he had said cj was going to rush for 1400 yards.

Also, fwiw... I didn't see any quote from coach on 1b designation. Klis is using the game as a basis for making that claim... Since hillman got run with first team

Also, fwiw... I didn't see any quote from coach on 1b designation. Klis is using the game as a basis for making that claim... Since hillman got run with first team

Anderson is fools gold. This is going to be a committee all year.
Kubiak has always believed in the bell-cow, so CJ Anderson should be the guy if he doesn't have any major hiccups.
Thats not true. He has run RBBC in the past but favors the "bell-cow" approach.
Banking on Kubiak's history might not be as sure a bet as it once was. His RB usage in Baltimore last year was very unpredictable for the first few six or so. Drove me nuts.

I don't think the CJ Anderson guys have anything to worry about except injury.

I posted a few weeks ago about Hillman looking much better this year and that he will probably be the #2 and that is a good thing for Anderson. Hillman is improved yet different. Hillman looks the part to play a very nice complement role but Anderson will be fine if he's healthy. Kubes likes this type of runner and he will go with him.

Disclaimer: NOT an owner of any Denver RB in fantasy but have been in the past. If you go back and look at my Denver RB talk for the past several years, you'll see I follow it closely and generally am pretty plugged in to what goes down. That and a few bucks will get you coffee but what I'm trying to say without saying I get this right a lot is when you follow it from year to year and know these coaches and this team, I feel really good that the Anderson owners are going to be fine.

Crap, I was counting on this guy going ahead of a slew of other RBs I'd much rather have; Hill, Forte, Murray & Miller to name a few. Now that's in jeapordy
Lamar MIller? really?
Yeah, really. Better talent and I like his situation a lot this year. I'm more confident in Miller being a top 10 RB than I am Anderson. Things seem to be breaking very well for Miller. He's the cheapest RB1 going IMO.

I still don't think this position is settled yet, but fwiw, Klis and the rest of the Denver Post sportswriters are even less reliable than Lammey - I know, hard to believe, but true.

I nabbed CJ in a 14 team PPR draft #9 overall, after consensus top backs (and a few on the bubble) were gone (Bell, Lacy, Peterson, Charles, Lynch, and Forte). Knowing the thinness that 14 teams creates, took CJ knowing all the upside and risks. The fact that Hillman is looking great does not shake me in terms of seeing this devolve into an RBBC -- I think with Kubiak and this offense, CJ will have a few games to prove his worth as the bell cow before I think the notion of RBBC becomes a possibility.

What bugs me with taking CJ is the need to grab a handcuff at the expense of value. I ended up drafting Ball (which I will correct with Hillman as soon as waivers open) in the 11th where I would have rather had a more upside guy like Denard Robinson, Kenny Stills, Malcolm Floyd, or Wheaton -- or even a more clear cut handcuff like Knile Davis.

This is the downside of CJ for me this year -- I think he can put up Top 10 RB numbers, but you will a) lose some value with the need to grab a handcuff to mitigate risk and have the next up guy in what I believe is a bell-cow system, and b) even with Hillman shining, I don't think that handcuff is going to be clear-cut -- Ball is still around and has proven himself in the past.

When 2 guys are close enough in talent/trust, coaches typically prefer to go RBBC, and when 1 guy is way above the others they'll usually make him the bell cow.

I still think CJA is the guy but if Hillman keeps doing well the coaches would have no choice but to give him a bigger piece of the pie.

Hillman working his way into passing down looks seems increasingly likely. That would make the Denver situation a more traditional split with the backup.

Not sure it cuts too much into CJ's production, but for fantasy purposes may lower him a bit in a deep RB1 field.

Why?
he did look to have more zip on the ball then he did even at the beginning of last season.
I think CJ Anderson is going to the focal point of the Broncos' offense this season. Manning is arguably their most important player (after all, he's a QB), but he's been broken down by the time the playoffs have come. This season, I think a bigger focus will be on keeping him healthy and emphasizing a ground attack. That's not to say that he won't have games where he throws for 400 yards and 4 TD's, but I think there's going to be a good number of ones where he has 220 yards and 2 TD's.

Users who are viewing this thread