Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
JetMaxx

CJ Anderson

IT'S ONE GAME! Remember how the sky was falling on the Pats last year in KC? Everyone said it was the end of a dynasty. A flat-out disaster. Then what happened? One of the best offenses in the league after that. And a SB ring.

It's early. It was a bad game. Against a great defense.

The sky is not falling. On CJ or Peyton or that O-line.

Gary Kubiak is not Bill Belichick. We can stop right there.

Holy cow ... had no idea people would be flipping out today. Buying cheap today if Ican (dynasty).

Well if you were in my league I would sell him. Have him in one and he will be gone by weeks end. He looked slow and once again Hillman looked Superior.

He's not going to be a workhorse like I envisioned. At best he splits with Hillman.

As a dynasty CJ owner, I'd be willing to part with he and Hillman in a trade right now.

IT'S ONE GAME! Remember how the sky was falling on the Pats last year in KC?

Remember how the sky was falling on Montee Ball last year after week 1? That turned out OK, right?

• Like 1

Remember how the sky was falling on Montee Ball last year after week 1? That turned out OK, right?

Montee Ball also didn't lead the league in pts (*performance based) for the last 8 games coming 2014. Not really comparable.

Week 1

Forsett 11 carries

Pierce 6

Tallaferro 0

Week 2

F 8

P 22

T 0

Week 3

F 11

P 0 (inj)

T 18

Week 4

F 14

P 0

T 15

Week 5

F 6

P 4

T 5

Week 6

F 14

P 15

T 2

Week 7

F 23

P 8

T 2

Week 8

F 17

P dnp

T 7

Week 9

F 9

P 1

T 7

Weeks 10-17

Forsett 122

P 37

T 10

He prefers a feature back but he runs a meritocracy that favors guys who can get the edge. Forsett was a bad fit in some systems but a good fit in Kubiak's. Hillman may end up being the same. That's a real worry for Cj owners and adds real upside to hillman's stock.

Cj Anderson may end up getting the Bernard pierce treatment - obvious heir apparent who just isn't a great fit in the next guy's scheme. Or he might have a better game next week. The toe injury has to be a real concern - both pierce and Tallaferro got dinged early which opened the door even wider for forsett.

The other concern is whether the opportunity is as good as we thought it was. It's kind of an unknown. I think people are overly focused on the arm strength question, but some of the rusty has to be blamed on a tough defense, demaryius getting nicked up, and Sanders being out for most of the preseason as there were a couple throws that were just outside his reach which could have been scores if they had been practicing together for weeks.

I'm not a manning owner, own a little sanders but not overly invested in him, don't own Cj and only own hillman in one league. This isn't something I am heavily invested in, but I'm considering adding some exposure to the Broncos. Any time there's bad news for a player in prime time it creates a better buying opportunity than the exact same event in an untelevised game.

• Like 1

Montee Ball also didn't lead the league in pts (*performance based) for the last 8 games coming 2014. Not really comparable.

Zac Stacy agrees

Zac Stacy agrees

Aye, Broncos/Rams offense would be a much better comparison.

I'm not throwing in the towel on Anderson just yet, I try to not panic after week 1 typically. Especially against a stout rush D.

That being said, I may offer the Hillman owner in my league, say, Blount for Hillman. There's usually something decent to salvage out of Kubiak's zone block.

The biggest concern regarding CJ to me is the toe...

It's not only comparable, it's analogous. I'm not calling CJ a bust at this point, but anyone who chooses to ignore the signs may end up with an untradable 1-2 rounder on their hands just like Ball owners did last season.

IT'S ONE GAME! Remember how the sky was falling on the Pats last year in KC? Everyone said it was the end of a dynasty. A flat-out disaster. Then what happened? One of the best offenses in the league after that. And a SB ring.

Not sure I agree on Peyton. He looked very ordinary down the stretch in 2014, didn't get any younger since then, looked rough in preseason action, and then yesterday.

If he snaps out of it and has a great game on short rest in KC then I am fully with you... but I don't like his chances honestly.

It's not only comparable, it's analogous. I'm not calling CJ a bust at this point, but anyone who chooses to ignore the signs may end up with an untradable 1-2 rounder on their hands just like Ball owners did last season.

All I'm saying is we have the last 8 games of 2014 to factor into CJ's forecast, Ball's situation after week 1 last year was the same as it was heading into the 2014 draft---built around more speculation than previous production. That has to be factored in when one is contemplating throwing in the towel after week 1, least IMO.

CJ could totally be a bust, and there is the risk of losing all trade value no doubt.

I would be willing to trade CJ for anything that upgrades me at any position including guys like David Johnson who may have some upside

C.J. Anderson (toe) is "fine."

Anderson played through the issue in Sunday's win. Ronnie Hillman outplayed Anderson against the Ravens, but Anderson will remain the No. 1 against the Chiefs. However, playing on a short week against a tough defense as the Broncos' passing game struggles, Anderson will be more of an RB2 than RB1 for Thursday Night Football.

On one hand the toe injury may explain why Hillman got so many snaps to start the 2nd half and part of Anderson's lack of production.

On the other, toe injuries for RBs can linger and be very problematic.

Edited by VaTerp

Has anybody heard which toe it is? Big difference between "turf toe" (big toe) and one of the others.

:blackdot:

turf toe never heals without rest, and for some reason I've seen many a RB "play through" as if it's just a pain thing. in the end, they play, get their touches, but always underperform.

Appearing on Sirius NFL Radio on Monday, Broncos coach Gary Kubiak stated C.J. Anderson (toe/ankle) is "fine."

Kubiak described Anderson's injury as "just rolling his ankle a bit," and said he expects Anderson "to go" on Thursday night against Kansas City. In Sunday's win over the Ravens, Anderson managed 29 yards on 12 rushing attempts but was targeted eight times in the passing game, catching four for 19 yards.

Classic pendulum swinging back to forum overreaction from forum overhype.

Everybody keeps saying Hillman look better but outside of one drive where he picked up the bulk of his yard he looked exactly the same, getting tackle in the backfield because the O-line is atrocious right now. CJ had 12 carries and on 9 of them Baltimore was in the backfield. Baltimore has a very stout run defense and they weren't scared of Mannings arm. Bad recipe for any running back.

Appearing on Sirius NFL Radio on Monday, Broncos coach Gary Kubiak stated C.J. Anderson (toe/ankle) is "fine."

Kubiak described Anderson's injury as "just rolling his ankle a bit," and said he expects Anderson "to go" on Thursday night against Kansas City. In Sunday's win over the Ravens, Anderson managed 29 yards on 12 rushing attempts but was targeted eight times in the passing game, catching four for 19 yards.

im kind of surprised no website has captured what I heard when watching the kubiak presser just now... kubiak said of CJ "he got rolled up a little bit" (whatever that means could mean ankle or toe who knows)... he then immediately started talking about hillman and strongly intimated that hillman played more because he was playing well and deserved the time (not because CJ was hurt). I had to watch it a second time because all I heard the first time in my mind was the word timeshare repeatedly :)

5:45 mark if you want to hear yourself

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/No-time-to-dwell/e1a33544-0150-4be9-ba36-3ec099fa28e7

You guys that are panicking.....have you ever heard of the term wake up call? These are top level elite athletes...im gonna guess that C.J and the crew will pull it together ASAP...the amount of doom and gloom EVERY year is like deja vu...R e l a x

• Like 2

im kind of surprised no website has captured what I heard when watching the kubiak presser just now... kubiak said of CJ "he got rolled up a little bit" (whatever that means could mean ankle or toe who knows)... he then immediately started talking about hillman and strongly intimated that hillman played more because he was playing well and deserved the time (not because CJ was hurt). I had to watch it a second time because all I heard the first time in my mind was the word timeshare repeatedly :)

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/No-time-to-dwell/e1a33544-0150-4be9-ba36-3ec099fa28e7

Funny how people can get up in arms about a 'timeshare' but everybody is in agreement that Jeremy Hill is a top 10 back.

It comes down to the offense, if it's bad all the RB's are going to suck.

Funny how people can get up in arms about a 'timeshare' but everybody is in agreement that Jeremy Hill is a top 10 back.

Although this is not a steadfast rule, I think it's probably the case for the Broncos. As Manning goes, so do the fantasy prospects for just about each and every RB, TE or WR. And what we've seen so far is not encouraging.

Gary Kubiak is not Bill Belichick. We can stop right there.

And Belichek is the only coach who can win in the NFL. This feels like pre-season and a team with a new o-line and a new offense that needs more reps. It's over-reaction season.

Although this is not a steadfast rule, I think it's probably the case for the Broncos. As Manning goes, so do the fantasy prospects for just about each and every RB, TE or WR. And what we've seen so far is not encouraging.

I still contend that DT could get it done with Osweiler but I agree with everything else.

This is overblown. Anderson faced a good D, O-line didn't block anything and he had about 10 touches after three quarters.

Manning got sacked 3 times and now everyone is thinking Anderson sucks? Let's face it, it's week one and the O-line sucked,

but it won't be like that the whole year.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2015091309/2015/REG1/ravens@broncos#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000530606&tab=recap

The injury thing is definitely a problem. But that can't be forecast so I don't feel bad about it. The part that bothers me is I bought into the hype around here of people saying Kubiak does not do RBBC. That looked completely false yesterday. I figured if I had CJ and Hillman I was a lock to have a RB1.

We would probably be better off if CJ does have to sit down for a few weeks so we can get full production from one of them.

Last year in Baltimore, Kubiak split carries between Taliaferro, Forsett, and Pierce for the first few weeks. Eventually he began using Forsett as a feature-back-lite.

Perhaps he's trying to figure out who runs better in his zbs.

Edited by cloppbeast

You have to admit, this is eerily similar to Ball starting off bad last year. The naysayers pointed to his lack of production, with the #2 looking better. The supporters citing tough matchups.

• Like 2

The injury thing is definitely a problem. But that can't be forecast so I don't feel bad about it. The part that bothers me is I bought into the hype around here of people saying Kubiak does not do RBBC. That looked completely false yesterday. I figured if I had CJ and Hillman I was a lock to have a RB1.

We would probably be better off if CJ does have to sit down for a few weeks so we can get full production from one of them.

Last year in Baltimore, Kubiak split carries between Taliaferro, Forsett, and Pierce for the first few weeks. Eventually he began using Forsett as a feature-back-lite.

Perhaps he's trying to figure out who runs better in his zbs.

feature back lite? what is that? he was the feature back them other guys barely saw the field

Any chance that Anderson sits this week because it's a Thursday game?

how is KC's rush defense for that matter...short week on the road in Arrowhead...not sure I'd start him even if he was given the nod

Has anybody heard which toe it is? Big difference between "turf toe" (big toe) and one of the others.

:blackdot:

turf toe never heals without rest, and for some reason I've seen many a RB "play through" as if it's just a pain thing. in the end, they play, get their touches, but always underperform.

Just ask Ellington from last year. RBs are expected to play through turf toe and teams are not required to report the exact injury. It is the toe injury of death for fantasy owners because the RB is active every week and under performs.

Any chance that Anderson sits this week because it's a Thursday game?

yes

didn't kubiak say he's playing?

feature back lite?

A "feature-back-lite" is Spanish for a starting running back who carries less than 240 times. Forsett started most of the games for Baltimore, and also carried 240 times, so he fits the definition.

Taliaferro and Pierce combined for a hefty 161 attempts.

Forsett got 52% of Baltimore's rushing attempts, compare to 77% for D Murray, 75% for Forte, 69% for L Bell, and 66% for Morris. Hell, even J Bell got 60% Detriot's carries.

Seems like Kubiak didn't want to give a 190 lb running back 300+ carries like he did with Arian Foster. I feel like Hillman would be in line for a similar role, best case.

Edited by cloppbeast

I had th 7th pick in the 1st round, had a feeling CJ would be my top option but something didn't feel right - he never felt like he should be a top-10 pick. Nevertheless, I searched some sites and it seemed the consensus was that CJ was primed to be a top back in the league.

So be it. I took the plunge. CJ as my first pick.

Ugh. Knew he didn't deserve it. Should've gone WR first.

I had th 7th pick in the 1st round, had a feeling CJ would be my top option but something didn't feel right - he never felt like he should be a top-10 pick. Nevertheless, I searched some sites and it seemed the consensus was that CJ was primed to be a top back in the league.

Dude, you had it pegged. Tough lesson to learn, but always go with your gut.

• Like 1

It's week 1. Take a step back.

• Like 1

In this case maybe not... he had doubts about CJ, but took him anyway (because that's where FBG.com or other had him going), and CJ lays an egg in game 1 + the RB that looked more crisp in the pre-season did it to him again. How many weeks should he wait?

This is the fun of the hobby... if you truly feel in your heart that CJ is heading to mediocrity, why not trade him now to an Owner that sees him in a different light (before its too late).

For a top-10 pick, his best case scenario is RBBC in an offense with a back O-line and sub-par passing production. That's best case scenario. Worst case? Don't even wanna talk about it.

It's OK guys...CJ only struggled because he's a mediocre RB and his aging noodle armed QB is playing behind a set of turnstiles for an OL so there's no reason for opposing D's to respect the pass

No reason to worry...it's only week 1

• Like 1

I hesitated but took CJ at 8 and Dez at 9 (little fun league with my son).

Gotta love week 1 injuries to first and second round pics AND all the SKY is FALLING that comes with it.

It wasn't a secret that Anderson was the riskiest 1st round pick by a mile. His upside was RB1 overall, and his downside is what is likely going to happen.....Anderson will give way to Hillman more than what we would like....with Manning's noodle arm not being able to challenge defenses vertically.....OL is a mess.

Anderson will still be a RB2, but it's very unlikely that you can get anywhere near his draft cost.