Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
JetMaxx

CJ Anderson

I don't own CJ and think he is hurt. Still some serious concern here. Peyton is not dumping to RBs in Kubiak's offense, which is killing PPR owners. I would think about making a play as a buy low if I knew more about the ankle and toe. Even if he does recover half way through the year, owners will not start him until he has a few good showings. At this point he could be roster cancer, worse than an ACL. At least with an ACL you can plug in a flex likely to score more than 3.9 points.

The real hype was more based on the situation than his talent. Peyton was still considered just a tier below the elite QB's so Anderson was supposed to get plenty of GL TD opportunities, plus Kubiak's zone blocking scheme and track record with RB's. It seemed like a prime situation for fantasy stardom.

Anderson himself isn't really a special talent(relative to other starting rb's). He runs hard and has decent vision.

Somewhere Montee ball is wishing your analysis was correct.
Yeah Anderson is such a special talent that he was an undrafted free agent and the 4th string Rb on the team less than 2 years ago.

he's a solid RB. But calling him special is a stretch.

Edited by hxperson
  • Like 2

HE'S OUT THERE ON THE MOST PIVOTAL DRIVE. He's the lead back regardless of nagging injury. Get over it.

Lol your taking this personal..

You do realize he's 12-29 and 12-27 he's awful. Regardless if he starts he's will always be sharing and the numbers from last year are a thing of the past.

Hillman has out rushed him 2weeks straight. His value is and will remain very low.

That's just a straight-up troll comment. He's awful? He's injured. And these are 2 of the best defenses.

Troll elsewhere.

You and joeski need a troll room yourselves. Right now CJ has had one good year with an excellent team and an HoF QB and was third or fourth on the depth chart as late as about Week Four from last year.

Hanging your hat on this guy as an RB1 was a bad choice in this year's draft. I had the 5th and stayed away in a 14-teamer, going Gore in the 2nd, Ivory in the 3rd, and Gurley in the 4th. I like skipping that first-round "value" for those guys, and I'll go down this year knowing I passed up CJ and quite happy about it regardless of result. He's a system back, not a great runner.

HE'S OUT THERE ON THE MOST PIVOTAL DRIVE. He's the lead back regardless of nagging injury. Get over it.

You do realize he's 12-29 and 12-27 he's awful. Regardless if he starts he's will always be sharing and the numbers from last year are a thing of the past.

Hillman has out rushed him 2weeks straight. His value is and will remain very low.

That's just a straight-up troll comment. He's awful? He's injured. And these are 2 of the best defenses.

Troll elsewhere.

I feel like the thing I was most surprised to learn over the last week and a half on this forum is that every defense in the league is one of the league's best defenses, and every corner in the league is one of the best corners in the league.

Seriously, I don't think there is a thread about a guy who had a bad week where people aren't claiming that he went against a top defense/CB that week.

At this point, I'm looking at this as if my 1st-round pick tore his ACL on the first play of the season. Can't dwell on it. Gotta adjust.

Tim drafted him.

This guy stinks. Sorry to all who were stupid enough to draft him!

funny thing is i grabbed L.Bell at # 4 and by the time my turn came again most of the top teir backs were gone and i saw CJ there and just took him...i never really planned on taking him...out of a hundred mock drafts i think i grabbed him 2 or 3 times and usually in the 3rd rd...so i now own him ...not sure how i feel about it ...yet

Before CJ owners panic they need to look at Eddie Lacy's 2014 game log. Lacy dealt with a concussion, Starks was being mixed in and more effective at times. GB's offensive line was seen as a poor run blocking group. By mid season Lacy was an auto start RB1 in an elite offense. Buy low

I'm starting CJ with confidence. Kubiak wants to run the ball more than anything. CJ is the best back, hobbled or not.

Coming out party tonight.

:pics:

:lmao:

Before CJ owners panic they need to look at Eddie Lacy's 2014 game log. Lacy dealt with a concussion, Starks was being mixed in and more effective at times. GB's offensive line was seen as a poor run blocking group. By mid season Lacy was an auto start RB1 in an elite offense. Buy low

this is true. Keep in mind I am a CJ owner and did not like what I see tonight, but I didn't see anything special from Hillman either. If this line can gel by midseason, I still think we got an RB1 on our hands. I think a big focus on the Broncos staff will indeed be the offensive line and this only helps.

I would also like to mention that the Chief's D-line didn't let any big runs on them against Houston, which has one of the best offensive lines in the game. I know it was a committee of Blue, Polk, and Grimes, but still....

Same thing happened to me. I didn't have any intention of drafting him but he fell to me at 18th so I thought the value was too good to be true. Oops.

I have Foster as a potential RB1 waiting in the wings but if that doesn't work out or if Gronk can't save me every week, I'll be in trouble.

I have both CJ and Hillman but was lucky enough to bench both tonight because I had decent options like Woodhead and Fitzgerald this week. I know that not everyone has that luxury every week with roster sizes and injuries.

I don't see any point in shopping CJ now because who is going to offer you anything decent? The painful part is having 2 roster spots eaten up by one garbage running attack. If I could get Lamar Miller right now for CJ, I think I'd take it, but that might be unrealistic.

He could get healthy and Peyton could get more familiar with the offense and all could be fine again but its getting tougher to imagine . They do play the Lions next week so that defense can help them cure a lot of things.

Maybe the best move is hope for a solid game against the Lions then dump him on someone and hope to get at least 3rd round value?

he is the ultimate buy low candidate since they will fix the offense. kubiaks scheme doesnt mesh with an old and slow PFM, he is getting hit way too much and they even rolled him out in a naked bootleg in week 1 with his 7mph top speed. when they go into the 2 min drill with manning calling the plays from shotgun they are the broncos of old and drive down the field at will, but this under-center-play-action-5-step-drop #### doesnt work and is going to get manning killed, elway wont let that go on for much longer. when teams fear the passing game again the run game will open up.

Edited by Rimez

The two times the line actually opened holes he went for 14 yards and 10 yards. I lost count of the number of times that CJ and Hillman had to dodge defenders in the backfield. There was one play where the defender could have collected the handoff from Peyton and tripped CJ up 4 yards behind the LOS. He stumbled back to the line, but I'd challenge anyone to operate well behind that line. For as 'good' as Hillman looked, he averaged 3.7 YPC and got half his yards on one run.

I won't be starting him until they get it sorted out because the line is just killing the entire running game, but I think the issue is far more to do with the line than with CJ at the moment. I think they will get it sorted eventually, so I'm not abandoning ship on CJ yet.

The other weird thing about yesterday was the lack of passing game action for the RBs. In the first game at least CJ padded his stats with 4 catches on 8 targets.

Yesterday he had 1 target and that was on the Bronco's final drive. He was running plenty of routes and often was open, but it just seemed like Manning wasn't looking his way. Hillman was only targeted once as well, so it wasn't like it was an individual thing.

Troll elsewhere.

You and joeski need a troll room yourselves. Right now CJ has had one good year with an excellent team and an HoF QB and was third or fourth on the depth chart as late as about Week Four from last year.

Hanging your hat on this guy as an RB1 was a bad choice in this year's draft. I had the 5th and stayed away in a 14-teamer, going Gore in the 2nd, Ivory in the 3rd, and Gurley in the 4th. I like skipping that first-round "value" for those guys, and I'll go down this year knowing I passed up CJ and quite happy about it regardless of result. He's a system back, not a great runner.

Manning is a HOF QB of course, but also note that he was very average during CJ's starts last year. I believe 8th or 9th best during that time. CJ proceeded to run wild during those 8 games, finishing as a top 3 and even 1st in some formats.

Add in the Kubiak zone block and you've got 20 FBG writers and many of us here believing he's worthy of the pick. And I don't regret that---yet. Was he a risky/upside pick? Of course with the 8 game sample size we got. Some like to roll the dice more than others. I reached on Foster and Morris their first breakout years and that payed off huge (both undrafted zone block runners, oddly enough). I'm sure I was ripped by some at draft for doing so. I've personally won more titles being risky than playing safe, but that's me.

We need this discussion to further analyze the Denver running game, what we don't need are people coming in here to tell us how much of an idiot we were for drafting CJ.

• Like 2

Not panicking. Just glad I was flexible enough to read the situation and 'bench my stud' for Ivory and Martin.

If you've drafted well then you should have the means to ride it out for a few weeks and hope for the situation to right itself. Helps if you have Hillman stashed as well.

Not panicking. Just glad I was flexible enough to read the situation and 'bench my stud' for Ivory and Martin.

If you've drafted well then you should have the means to ride it out for a few weeks and hope for the situation to right itself. Helps if you have Hillman stashed as well.

I got both Hillman and Anderson. We have 2 flex spots,so I started them both,hoping one would have a good game. I'm not giving up though. I think they will start passing to the Rb's just to get them more involved. I think if they made a QB switch,it would open up the run game. I think Manning is DONE(I don't care if they won last night)Manning looks horrible.

The real hype was more based on the situation than his talent. Peyton was still considered just a tier below the elite QB's so Anderson was supposed to get plenty of GL TD opportunities, plus Kubiak's zone blocking scheme and track record with RB's. It seemed like a prime situation for fantasy stardom.

Anderson himself isn't really a special talent(relative to other starting rb's). He runs hard and has decent vision.

Somewhere Montee ball is wishing your analysis was correct.
Yeah Anderson is such a special talent that he was an undrafted free agent and the 4th string Rb on the team less than 2 years ago.

he's a solid RB. But calling him special is a stretch.

in FF, every other guy is "elite" or "special".

• Like 1

Why in the hell is Manning not in the shotgun every play of every series. Stupid

I think last night will force that change. He looked fine when working from the shotgun but absolutely horrible from under center,

If they want to win games with him at QB, they have to play him from the gun.

Why in the hell is Manning not in the shotgun every play of every series. Stupid

I think last night will force that change. He looked fine when working from the shotgun but absolutely horrible from under center,

If they want to win games with him at QB, they have to play him from the gun.

He is slower than Bernie Kosar was backing out from under center, and the last thing you want him doing is throwing with momentum going backwards

Troll elsewhere.

We need this discussion to further analyze the Denver running game, what we don't need are people coming in here to tell us how much of an idiot we were for drafting CJ.

True. If I came off that way, I apologize. I was just making a point and stating an opinion, which given Eddie Lacy last year and my trashing of him, is all it really is -- an opinion. I get wrapped up in the converse of what you're saying, which is the overvalued and sort of consensus hype that an undeserving player will get. Somewhere between a bust like Trent Richardson or a bona fide situational stud like Eddie Lacy is a guy like Mark Ingram or CJ Anderson, a solid, yet unspectacular back, with a reasonable ADP last year and elevated one this time around.

IMO.

• Like 1

I am going to go try and buy Cj with the way you people are talking about him.

He will have a good year

I think a lot of people just don't think he's a first rounder. His cheat sheet position for my league was like 1.4-1.7. That's pretty steep for a fourteen-team league. You can't whiff on your first or second round, or you'd better be really prescient in your sixth and seventh.

That's all. He's probably a late 2nd-rounder in most leagues. I'd have been happy (no, thrilled) if he feel to the early-to-mid third where I was.

And, as people are pointing out, he got no looks in the passing game, much like Hillman, who looked like he was raising his hand every time he got into the flat from a release. That could have been because of the pressure on the line giving Peyton only time for one read and no time for two or three reads plus a body adjustment.

Don't panic guys...he was a first round fantasy pick. He'll be just fine. I'm sure he'll just rattle off 120/2 next week

Nothing to see here

Don't panic guys...he was a first round fantasy pick. He'll be just fine. I'm sure he'll just rattle off 120/2 next week

Nothing to see here

Doosh-ery on point here.

This guy stinks. Sorry to all who were stupid enough to draft him!

Their schedule gets a LOT easier starting next week.

Unless the toe injury gets worse, CJ is the best buy-low target out there at the moment.

Whatever happens, good or bad, I'll still be here owning up to it.

I got both Hillman and Anderson. We have 2 flex spots,so I started them both,hoping one would have a good game. I'm not giving up though. I think they will start passing to the Rb's just to get them more involved. I think if they made a QB switch,it would open up the run game. I think Manning is DONE(I don't care if they won last night)Manning looks horrible.

Ask KC if they think Manning is DONE. I don't think they would agree.

Running game is going to come along fine if Manning can play like he did for most of last night.

I would also like to mention that the Chief's D-line didn't let any big runs on them against Houston, which has one of the best offensive lines in the game. I know it was a committee of Blue, Polk, and Grimes, but still....

:goodposting: this would of been a bad week even if he was 100% healthy. It happens.

Let's see how the Denver O looks against Det, Min, Oak, Cle before doing anything drastic here.

I'm definitely concerned, but not about to give up on my 1st round pick.

Troll elsewhere.

Good call on your part. I got him in 2 leagues out of 6 so I was kinda on board. "slumping".

No dog in the fight, but I thought the O-line was a big problem against Baltimore and again last night (run and pass blocking). I agree with some on here that Anderson is just gonna be the product of the system. Adequate vision, and runs hard, but not elite talent. So what. If the system works like it is supposed to, Anderson will thrive. Right now, that system is broke. Hopefully, the line can start gelling. If not, it's gonna be a long season regardless of who the RB is.

On a positive note, I think Baltimore and KC just had too much speed to be able to run any kind of stretch plays where zone blocking is best utilized. DN's schedule now is the Lions, Vikings, Raiders, Browns, Pacers, Colts before seeing KC again. Regardless of who you think will be the man, a DN RB will be relevant moving forward, and should be targeted.

• Like 1

Don't underestimate the Elway-Kubiak connection. Many long, successful years together. Kubiak will be in Denver for a lot longer than Peyton will (at least as a QB). I think they will go to more shotgun to help Manning, but I disagree that Peyton will outlive or dominate Kubiak in Elway's eyes.

• Like 1

Peyton vs Kubiak; Peyton will win

And if Peyton gets to run his offense a bit more, he'll get to audible into run plays at the line and run the game from the shotgun.

Peyton running Kubiak's system is brutal to watch. He's so slow getting out from under center that the D can sell out to stop the run and still have time to re-adjust if it's actually a pass.

Edited by UKColt

:goodposting: this would of been a bad week even if he was 100% healthy. It happens.

Let's see how the Denver O looks against Det, Min, Oak, Cle before doing anything drastic here.

Hey guys lets just wait until my first round pick plays some really bad teams...then he'll prove what a great pick he was :lmao:

Per Mike Clay, CJ's yards before contact last year was 2.2.

In two games this year, it's 0.8.

Means he was getting 2.5 after contact last year and only 1.5 this year. Obviously a small sample size.

I'd imagine it's a combination of CJ's injury and the team. Doesn't mean he won't be passed by Hillman though. But even a bellcow might not be a RB1 the way things look.

Hey guys lets just wait until my first round pick plays some really bad teams...then he'll prove what a great pick he was :lmao:

Isn't that what Eddie Lacy did last year?

-Denver has faced some tough D's

-O line is young and inexperienced

-Kubiak's O doesn't suit Peyton under center

-CJ hurt his toe/ankle

-Peyton played MUCH better in shotgun. It bought him time to throw and gave Sanders and DT time to get open

-passing game will lead to more open lanes for CJ, he looked fine on the plays where there was an actual hole vs a wall of Red defenders blitzing and crashing in on him.

Concern, yes. But no need to panic if you are an owner. CJ may not be a top 5 RB, but the potential is there for a solid season. Good buy low candidate in my eyes if the owner in your league has lost his head.

• Like 1

Don't underestimate the Elway-Kubiak connection. Many long, successful years together. Kubiak will be in Denver for a lot longer than Peyton will (at least as a QB). I think they will go to more shotgun to help Manning, but I disagree that Peyton will outlive or dominate Kubiak in Elway's eyes.

After Peyton retires I expect he will return to the Colts in some kind of management capacity.

For fantasy football purposes I think most people only care about the points scored. Not competition or skill.

For fantasy football purposes I think most people only care about the points scored. Not competition or skill.

cj not RB1 anymore