What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CJ Anderson (2 Viewers)

Grabbed CJ this morning. I agree that the Broncos are not likely to risk having Hillman protect Manning. Hopefully, CJ can catch out of the backfield.

I also think that if and when the Broncos go into a ground and pound mode to run clock and protect a lead, they will likely lean on the bigger back.

Hoping for the best.

Grabbed CJ this morning. I agree that the Broncos are not likely to risk having Hillman protect Manning. Hopefully, CJ can catch out of the backfield.

I also think that if and when the Broncos go into a ground and pound mode to run clock and protect a lead, they will likely lean on the bigger back.

Hoping for the best.
Just saw your post in the Peterson thread -you must not have dropped Peterson for him? That's what I'm considering doing. Feel like an idiot holding on to Peterson while CJ is sitting there as a free agent (probably won't last long) but I'm wondering if it's worth waiting till after his hearing.

Hoping for the best.
Just saw your post in the Peterson thread -you must not have dropped Peterson for him? That's what I'm considering doing. Feel like an idiot holding on to Peterson while CJ is sitting there as a free agent (probably won't last long) but I'm wondering if it's worth waiting till after his hearing.
Dude, get rid of Peterson.

I did that at 2 weeks ago and didn't look bad, and I think I was a little slow to act.

Plus he's still sitting as a Free Agent in case I wanted to waste a roster spot again in addition to wasting my top three pick

Last edited by a moderator:
Already had CJ, but wasn't able to get Hillman off waivers. Offered CJ to the guy who did get Hillman, asking for a 3rd round rookie pick.

Too much or too little? Or should I give it a week to know more?

Hoping for the best.
No, I hung onto Peterson. I dropped Trent Richardson for CJ.....however, there are still some decent rbs out there that I would love to drop AP for. I am hoping that today's court appearance will give us some better information on timeline for him. Can't bring myself to drop until I know he ain't coming back.

Back to CJ - I also think Ball is going to be out at least 3 weeks and possibly more....just a hunch.

Been on board with CJ from the get go... wavered slightly this preseason when CJ was banged up and Thompson was getting hyped, but ultimately kept CJ on the roster. Glad I have him now (in all three leagues, where I also have Ball <_< ).

Got CJ second round through the waiver order in a standard and for $2 FAAB in my PPR.

I'm not sure we should shy away from this week either. We just saw Branden Oliver torch the Jets, no? My guess is Peyton and the boys rack up some big numbers and someone is killing the clock in the second half (and potentially getting goalline carries on the way to those big numbers).

My decision will come down to CJ vs. McKinnon vs. Crowell for this week, and with all three dice rolls... I'm leaning CJ.

In and probably starting him this week in a 14 team'er where rb injuries are killing me. Picked him up w/ the last ww priority after someone else took hillman early on.

While none of us knows how this new RBBC will shake out, I like the fact that CJ was the primary backup to ball for the 1st 3 games. And he was projected as the backup coming out of camp. I'd also like to know what was the mysterious "illness" that hillman and a couple other broncos got coming out of the preseason game (in HOU iirc).

Local talk radio out here in Denver was speculating that hillman might not even make the final roster.

I'm not projecting anything Moreno'ish, but CJ could be a bandaid for teams like mine for the next month or so. Maybe longer if ball's groin is worse than they think. The did get a MRI to check if it was TORN, so it can't be good. Right??

Agree that Thompson will be the wildcard here, but also agree that I don't see fox / peyton relying on a rookie, even if he's "bigger". Could vulture the GL work, ala the td run late in the game vs. zona. But CJ was inactive for that one.

Sticking with Hillman until I see the team report today, only then will I consider alternatives.

See a lot of "if's" associated with Anderson, that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy, regardless of Hillman's history. He's been given another shot and was the first rb to actually produce some decent touches.

I'm also guessing the people who have picked up Anderson 1) did not own Ball and have other options for RB, 2) Own Ball and was able to snag a decent backup and not been hit with injuries.

I'm speaking for all Ball owners w/o a reliable option for their RB1. Hillman is our best option atm.

Another observation is that Anderson couldn't outright replace Ball when he had a chance to shine prior to the bye, even with pass blocking taken out of the equation.

I can see Anderson has all the physical tools to start in the NFL, there's a reason why he hasn't thus far....

Some stats from Lammey twitter feed:

first down per rush percentage for Broncos C.J. Anderson 36,4%, Juwan Thompson 33.3%, Ronnie Hillman 17.6%, Montee Ball 16.4%
Ronnie Hillman averaging .71 yards after contact per rush, Montee Ball, C.J. Anderson, Juwan Thompson averaging 2.00 YAC/R

Sticking with Hillman until I see the team report today, only then will I consider alternatives.

See a lot of "if's" associated with Anderson, that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy, regardless of Hillman's history. He's been given another shot and was the first rb to actually produce some decent touches.

I'm also guessing the people who have picked up Anderson 1) did not own Ball and have other options for RB, 2) Own Ball and was able to snag a decent backup and not been hit with injuries.

I'm speaking for all Ball owners w/o a reliable option for their RB1. Hillman is our best option atm.

Another observation is that Anderson couldn't outright replace Ball when he had a chance to shine prior to the bye, even with pass blocking taken out of the equation.

I can see Anderson has all the physical tools to start in the NFL, there's a reason why he hasn't thus far....
Get outta here! You're killing my CJ buzz.

http://www.draftsharks.com/sharkbites/34385/manning---we-re-counting-on--Hillman
"Broncos QB Peyton Manning made it clear that Ronnie Hillman will step in as the lead back with Montee Ball out."

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 46s 45 seconds ago
One more Manning on Hillman: "It’s our job to get him in space. At the same time we’re counting on him to handle all parts of playing RB.''

0 replies

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 2m 2 minutes ago
More Manning on Hillman: “There’s no question that he has a burst that’s pretty unique when he gets the ball in his hands.''

0 replies

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 18m 18 minutes ago
Peyton on the #Broncos RBs: "We're going to need the whole committee.''

0 replies

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 19m 19 minutes ago
Peyton Manning on Ronnie Hillman: "This is a great opportunity for Ronnie ...We're counting on him.''

0 replies

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 15m 15 minutes ago

Think, at this point split will be: Hillman primary RB for #Broncos...Anderson/Thompson split rest. Thompson jogged today, looked OK.

Manning killing my buzz. Doesn't make me want to run out and release CJ. I think it will be all about who performs - and hangs on to the ball

http://www.draftsharks.com/sharkbites/34385/manning---we-re-counting-on--Hillman

"Broncos QB Peyton Manning made it clear that Ronnie Hillman will step in as the lead back with Montee Ball out."

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 46s 45 seconds ago

One more Manning on Hillman: "It’s our job to get him in space. At the same time we’re counting on him to handle all parts of playing RB.''

0 replies

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 2m 2 minutes ago

More Manning on Hillman: “There’s no question that he has a burst that’s pretty unique when he gets the ball in his hands.''

0 replies

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 18m 18 minutes ago

Peyton on the #Broncos RBs: "We're going to need the whole committee.''

0 replies

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 19m 19 minutes ago

Peyton Manning on Ronnie Hillman: "This is a great opportunity for Ronnie ...We're counting on him.''

0 replies

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 15m 15 minutes ago

Think, at this point split will be: Hillman primary RB for #Broncos...Anderson/Thompson split rest. Thompson jogged today, looked OK.
Manning killing my buzz. Doesn't make me want to run out and release CJ. I think it will be all about who performs - and hangs on to the ball
If I am remembering this correctly, Manning was blowing the same horn in 2012 ... Right before Moreno came of the weekly inactive list to be a RB1 the rest of the year.

It's almost meaningless at this point. If I had a choice of the two (note: spent my waiver on Oliver and picked up CJ) I'd go Hillman at this point. He is the starter and may have correct his pass protection and fumbling issues.

At the same time, we know the Broncos are perfectly willing to plug in a dark horse as the RB1. Hillman hasn't shown that he can be an everydown back. So I'm gambling on Anderson because I don't think Hillman, even if he's the RB1 has the upside. But if you need a game or two, probably the guy.

The way I figure this, the Broncos will destroy the Jets and there will be plenty of running opportunities to go around, CJA & Hillman could both do fine.

The way I figure this, the Broncos will destroy the Jets and there will be plenty of running opportunities to go around, CJA & Hillman could both do fine.
Or,after seeing the Browns come back from 28-3, Manning keeps his foot on the gas and keeps throwing.

The Denver Offense is trending heavily toward the pass right now, and why not.

I just don't see anybody from this backfield being any kind of play, long term or short.

Or,after seeing the Browns come back from 28-3, Manning keeps his foot on the gas and keeps throwing.

I just don't see anybody from this backfield being any kind of play, long term or short.
I'm not sure that a game between CLE and TEN really makes a difference here. I mean, do we think that the coaching staff in DEN didn't realize it was possible for a team to come back from 25 points down until TEN let somebody do it last week?

I'm pretty sure Peyton remembers the Tampa Bay game, if nothing else...

Ojaays said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:

This is for Ball owners and people with gaping holes at RB2, ie the needy. - It's possible that the Jets put up a fight in this game. Possible. It's Rex Ryan's team, in the Meadowlands, ravenous crowd that's been fed the Post headlines all week. `twould not surprise me if the Jets bow up, stop the run, punch `em in the mouth early, etc.

But let's face it, we're talking Geno Smith, Mike Vick, coming off a game where they just had what 46 yards net passing? Vs. Peyton Manning.

Hillman has never had more than 15 carries in a game. These are his all time bests in carries:

Vs Oak 2012:

Hillman: 10/31/0

McGahee, LBall: 25/122/1

Vs NO 2012

Hillman: 14/86/0

McGaheee, LBall: 25/136/1

Vs SD 2012:

Hillman: 12/43/0

McGahee, LBall: 13/88/0

Vs Bal 2012:

Hillman: 15/32/0

McGahee. Hester: 28/135/2 (Hester was a FB btw)

Vs PHI 2013:

Hillman: 11/36/0

Moreno, MBall: 20/102/1

Vs Oak 2013:

Hillman: 12/30/0

Moreno, MBall: 16/95/0

Vs ARI 2014:

Hillman: 15/64/0

Thompson: 3/15/1

* CJ Anderson inactive, post-MBall injury only

All of these games were blowouts except the 2012 SD which Den led late 30-16 until under 2 min in the 4th.

Waldman has a write-up about Anderson that he posted on his site today.

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/10/26/remember-the-name-c-j-anderson/

In it, he compares Anderson's style to Rudi Johnson. In the limited amount I've seen him, I think he reminded a little bit of Jamal Anderson. He's a fairly big dude who seems to fall forward a lot, but he's still pretty quick and light on his feet and seems to have the vision/instincts you like to see in a RB.

pretty excited to see if he can perform at a high level.
I still remember this article from last year:

Remember The Name: C.J. AndersonIn a season where quality running back production has been as scarce as ever, it’s vital to consider talent that has lurked behind the scenes. Broncos rookie C.J. Anderson is that kind of player. The former backup at Cal is getting a shot with Denver’s active roster this weekend ahead of Ronnie Hillman, who won’t dress after fumbling the ball inside the Indianapolis five last weekend.

It’s unknown whether Anderson will get a chance to see playing time. And I can’t tell you if the rookie will look as good as he did in the preseason or experience growing pains the way the Patriots wide receiving corps struggled in September. I will share that as a fantasy owner, Anderson has been sitting on a majority of my dynasty league rosters since August.

Ryan Riddle is also a big fan of Anderson’s game. Riddle, a record holder at Cal, speculated that Anderson’s role as a backup was due more to politics than talent. Based on what I studied last year, I believe there’s validity to that assertion.

Based on what I saw from Anderson this summer, I think he has the best combination of physical dimensions, agility, burst, and balance of the backs on this roster. Knowshon Moreno is a better passing down back, but I think Anderson offers more as a runner and, with more experience, he has the potential to be as good as Moreno in the passing game.

In fact, I think Anderson showed me more agility this summer in Broncos’ camp than what I saw at Cal. His impressive preseason combined with lackluster performances from Hillman and some doubts about Ball led me to hold onto Anderson where I could.

Here’s a sample of what I have on Anderson in the 2013 Rookie Scouting Portfolio.

Player Comparison: Rudi Johnson due to Anderson’s thick frame, well-balanced style, and a downhill mentality. He’s an economic runner with good feet like Johnson.

Overall Assessment: Anderson is a hard runner with a good burst, skill as a pass protector, and capable of starting for a team if called upon. I think he could surprise in the NFL as a lead back in a committee and even be the full-time starter if called upon.

Profile of C.J. Anderson, Cal (5-8, 224)

Anderson is a strong runner with good lower body development that helps him explode through contact. He possesses a low center of gravity and is rarely knocked backward. Anderson runs with low pad level and hits holes hard, but he also demonstrates patience and cutback skill to press a hole to let his blocks develop. He does a good job anticipating interior blocks and working through double teams just as they develop to hit tight creases for positive gains.

He also has a good enough burst to get through fairly tight creases and beat an unblocked backside defender to the crease. Although he plays with quickness, he appears to be a one-speed runner without a lot of lateral agility once at full speed and into the secondary. A real positive of Anderson’s game is his feet, which are a lot like that of former Bengals runner Rudi Johnson who didn’t thrive with elaborate cuts, but could changed his stride to get downfield and avoid trash in the hole or make one cut. Anderson does the same thing.

The Golden Bear also demonstrates press and cut skills on zone plays. He’s more of a one-cut runner with decent feet, but I didn’t see evidence of great elusiveness. His power is a little better than functional, but not extraordinary.

The Cal back carries the ball under his outside arm (right or left) and as a receiver he catches the ball with his hands, does a good job working with his quarterback to present a good target, and he can take a hit in the act of securing the football.

Pass blocking is good and can get better. Sometimes Anderson will “catch” a defender with his hands out in pass protection rather than deliver a punch, but when he decides to strike with his hands, he displays excellent placement and power with good technique. He also displays accurate diagnosis the oncoming pressure. I think he has a chance to surprise at the NFL level because of his build, style, and smarts as a runner. I think he can be a first-line reserve back in the NFL because he does everything well enough to start, but nothing extraordinary that would warrant him an instant opportunity to compete for the job until he at least proves what he can do at the pro level in some games.

Just dumped Toby for him in a dynasty league. It's fairly shallow but Toby appears to suck and Anderson is still an unknown. I'll take a chance at a real player over a known chump any day.

Anyone in dynasty leagues still holding Anderson? I can't see much value unless Hillman gets hurt before Ball returns.

Rotoworld:

C.J. Anderson racked up 90 yards on 13 carries and caught four passes for 73 yards and a touchdown in the Broncos' Week 10 stoming of the Raiders.

With Ronnie Hillman battling a foot injury, Anderson showed a hot hand early in the game and the Broncos rode him en route to a career-high 163 total yards. His 51-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter was a highlight-reel play as Anderson caught Peyton Manning's pass one-handed and weaved through all of Oakland's defense en route to pay dirt. Hillman and Juwan Thompson remain involved and Montee Ball (groin) is due back next week, so it's difficult to project Anderson's going-forward workload. We do know he's worth rostering in all leagues as an RB3/4. A downhill runner with adequate speed and a bowling-ball style, Anderson arguably has the most complete skill set in Denver's running back corps.

Nov 9 - 7:25 PM

get the feeling they should have started Anderson from the start, not just when ball went down, from week1. Kid looks good. Fast, powerful, catching passes, nice burst. Oh wait a second. They played Oak. But still ...

C.J. Anderson racked up 90 yards on 13 carries and caught four passes for 73 yards and a touchdown in the Broncos' Week 10 stoming of the Raiders.
With Ronnie Hillman battling a foot injury, Anderson showed a hot hand early in the game and the Broncos rode him en route to a career-high 163 total yards. His 51-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter was a highlight-reel play as Anderson caught Peyton Manning's pass one-handed and weaved through all of Oakland's defense en route to pay dirt. Hillman and Juwan Thompson remain involved and Montee Ball (groin) is due back next week, so it's difficult to project Anderson's going-forward workload. We do know he's worth rostering in all leagues as an RB3/4. A downhill runner with adequate speed and a bowling-ball style, Anderson arguably has the most complete skill set in Denver's running back corps.

CJ Anderson played better than Ball from seasons start... what was odd was they went with a cop back in hillman and a rookie in thompson before he had some type of shot today... a lot of people saw this coming too

Probably will be mostly a CJ backfield with Montee getting the majority of the backup work. Hillman might see 2-3 carries a game with a pass or two.

Probably will be mostly a CJ backfield with Montee getting the majority of the backup work. Hillman might see 2-3 carries a game with a pass or two.
They are going with Ball IMO. CJ looked better the first few weeks and it was still Ball. Peyton trusts Ball the most, so Ball will play.
Both Anderson and Hillman have had better games than ball as a starter. I don't know. I don't see that. Ball was pedestrian.

get the feeling they should have started Anderson from the start, not just when ball went down, from week1. Kid looks good. Fast, powerful, catching passes, nice burst. Oh wait a second. They played Oak. But still ...
He's not fast. That's why he wasn't drafted. From the MileHighReport: C.J. Anderson isn't the quickest halfback, but he runs hard between the tackles and can be hard to bring down. His vision and one-cut mentality reminds me of the great Broncos zone blocking scheme of old. Watch at 3:16 how Anderson waits and lets the play unfold, finds an opening, cuts, and deliver a Bears touchdown.

They are going with Ball IMO. CJ looked better the first few weeks and it was still Ball. Peyton trusts Ball the most, so Ball will play.
Both Anderson and Hillman have had better games than ball as a starter. I don't know. I don't see that. Ball was pedestrian.
It's not about how you look as a runner in a Peyton Manning offense.

"That was as fine a play as I’ve seen so far this season, I have to tell you," Manning said. "Thought they had pretty good coverage on the play across the board … felt like I was feeling somebody kind of close to me, didn’t want to have a sack certainly in that situation. It easily could have been a catch for minus-2 yards or something. Next thing you know he breaks the tackle, I don’t know how many guys he made miss, but … just truly an incredible effort play on his part."
And here's the vid.

If you didn't see the game, Anderson broke tackles, made guys missed and picked up extra yards on his own all day. He didn't just get what was there.

Said it last week...Anderson must be terrible on assignments when he doesn't have the ball in his hands. Because he's miles better than the other guys when he does.

Hiilman owner here... Anderson looked a lot better than hillman to me. And Hillman looks a lot better than Ball.

Anderson>>HIllman>>Ball

Users who are viewing this thread