What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Avoid Mike Wallace, the Raven? (1 Viewer)

Shutout

Footballguy
I'm just getting a real "Square peg in a round hole" type of vibe on him in Miami.

Anyone who follows the Dolphins able to add or dismiss this thought? I just don't see this offense being one where he is used the way that we think of Mike Wallace blistering down the field in all these deep strikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't follow the Dolphins, but after last season I began to wonder if Wallace would amount to much without Bruce Arians and a playbook that consistently yelled "go long!" He looked lost, and his YPR cratered. At his current ADP, I'd rather wait and take one of the next 10-12 receivers going off the board instead.

With a WR like Wallace, it depends heavily on the QB's ability to get him the ball (more so than a possession or a big red zone receiver). The spring buzz around Tanehill has cooled a bit and Wallace needs time to get open and accurate throws...even if Tanehill becomes more accurate, deeper routes take time to develop and (1) the line needs to hold and (2) Tanehill has to commit to the long ball in traffic and not dump it to the RB/TE/Slot Receiver.

I plucked this section on an article dated 8/12 on Wallace and Tanehill from the Sun Sentinel and bolded a couple of interesting points:

"I think we're moving along nicely," Tannehill said after Monday's practice. "We hit a deep one today for a touchdown in 7-on-7 (passing drill). When you have a guy with that typehttp://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...hilbin-quarterback-ryan-tannehill-cam-newton# of speed it's exciting to be able to throw the ball downfield but it's not going to be five touchdowns a game. That's kind of what everyone seems to be hinting at.

"But we're going to give him the ball and he's going to get open short and deep, (and on) crosses. It's going to happen, there's no need to panic, to push to try to force him the ball. It's going to happen."

In Friday's 27-3 victory at Jacksonville there seemed to be a few plays in which Wallace had one-on-one coverage but Tannehill (5-for-9 for 75 yards, one touchdown, no interceptions) never looked in his direction. Tannehill, Sherman and Philbin have all acknowledged it was tough for Tannehill to set his feet to throw deep because pass protectionhttp://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...hilbin-quarterback-ryan-tannehill-cam-newton# was porous.

"There were some times that we called some passes, probably either eight or nine times, where we had opportunities possibly," Sherman said. "Protection wasn't the greatest as you well know and we were scrambling around but those will come with time."

Regardless, Tannehill acknowledged there was one time he should have hit Wallace.

"I ended up moving around and hitting (Brandon) Gibson over the middle," Tannehill said. "Going back and looking at it I could have stayed in the pocket a little bit, pushed up and kept my eyes downfield. Mike ended up winning on the outside. Other than that I think that was just because of the way the game fell."

Now I am not saying it will be a disaster, but he is getting drafted around the likes of DeSean Jackson and I would much rather have him at this point than Wallace.

I still like the gamble. Tannehill was the 7th most accurate deep ball passer last year as a very raw rookie. Pass protection could be an issue this year, but he's very mobile. Maybe they incorporate some roll outs to give him time. Wallace is currently, what, a 5th or 6th round pick? If things work out, he could be top 10 again. If they don't, I think you'll at least get your money's worth out of him (mid to low WR2) because you know they're going to target him at least 100 times. They aren't paying him all that money to use him sparingly. Great low risk/high reward gamble IMO.

I like his huge upside in dyno, he is no more of a gamble than Bowe, DJax, Nicks, Torrey Smith and guys like that. Tanny is still young he will come around and they will need time to gel. Can we have people calm down from some guys just typing on twitter that they don't look on the same page, what else is there to talk about in Miami. They seem to be hyping a guy who hasn't pulled away from Daniel Thomas a lot though in Miller if that tells you anything about their beat writers.

What's funny, I know this is off topic, but when Ivory was hurt I couldnt get an offer or give him away, now just one report of him looking good in one practice I am flooded with offers. Use people and their panic to your advantage. People believe everything they read on twitter, everything. Its unreal.

If Wallace comes out and catches 3 balls for 40 yards and a score this week, people will love him because some beat writer on twitter will say he looks like a stud.

I like his huge upside in dyno, he is no more of a gamble than Bowe, DJax, Nicks, Torrey Smith and guys like that. Tanny is still young he will come around and they will need time to gel. Can we have people calm down from some guys just typing on twitter that they don't look on the same page, what else is there to talk about in Miami. They seem to be hyping a guy who hasn't pulled away from Daniel Thomas a lot though in Miller if that tells you anything about their beat writers.

What's funny, I know this is off topic, but when Ivory was hurt I couldnt get an offer or give him away, now just one report of him looking good in one practice I am flooded with offers. Use people and their panic to your advantage. People believe everything they read on twitter, everything. Its unreal.

If Wallace comes out and catches 3 balls for 40 yards and a score this week, people will love him because some beat writer on twitter will say he looks like a stud.
Good stuff by all. Thanks guys.

I guess, for me, its not about reacting or over reaction but more on what Sweet Love and Ninja mentioned in regards to time to protect the QB to be able to make those types of throws. I think sometimes we overlook how much Ben scrambles (we don't overlook that specifically but how that gives times and space for a guy like Wallace).

I just wonder if Wallace is going to be a complete feast or famine type player this year and, if so, that's hard to pull off if you are drafting him as an everyweek borderline 1 or 2.

His ADP is WR21, so no one should be drafting him as an every week 1. He's being drafted as a borderline 2, so I think he's great value there. But you are right that he could easily be feast or famine. He's never had more than 117 targets in a season, so it's hard to be consistent. He did finish WR5 with just 98 targets once, though, so there is a lot of upside here.

Am I crazy or did Ivory somehow get brought up in this thread? Some pumpers are relentless.

His ADP is WR21, so no one should be drafting him as an every week 1. He's being drafted as a borderline 2, so I think he's great value there. But you are right that he could easily be feast or famine. He's never had more than 117 targets in a season, so it's hard to be consistent. He did finish WR5 with just 98 targets once, though, so there is a lot of upside here.

Am I crazy or did Ivory somehow get brought up in this thread? Some pumpers are relentless.
Yes, because those who can read see the point behind the statement.

I see Wallace having a similar year to Torrey Smith last year and a very frustrating player to have in your lineup. He will put up a couple of abysmal weeks in a row and then explode for 2 TDs when you start someone else.

here is what i see will happen he will have a generally meddeling year and most around here will say see he was overrated but he will get a few long tds because he is as fast as a bullet and then a few people will come around and say see i told you so look he is awesome blah blah blah but in the end he is just ted ginn nothing much for most of the time but then a few long ones to get your hopes up but then bam nothing again after that take that to the cristal ball bank brohans

I see Wallace having a similar year to Torrey Smith last year and a very frustrating player to have in your lineup. He will put up a couple of abysmal weeks in a row and then explode for 2 TDs when you start someone else.
I could see that. Outside of the rarity like Randy Moss, I'm always a bit wary of guys that rely on the long ball too get most of their production (think DeSean Jackson).

WTH happened today? Was Haden in his shirt all afternoon, or something else?
No time for THill to throw. LT-Martin tossed into the backfield all game. Wallace did drop a ball on an 11 yd out, Hartline completed that same route earlier on the drive. On the next play, Wallace wide open but THill looked him off and instead went to Gibson in the middle of the field. Read into it what you want but the Miami OLine is not going to give a lot of time for long patterns to develop.

Simply was not targeted much given the money he got from the Dolphins. It's almost embarrassing to have a guy like that just out running thru the motions while Tannehill continues to lock in on Hartline and for some unGodly reason Gibson. The announcers didn't really even talk about Wallace either. It was very strange all around.

Also, Wallace was open in the back of the end zone late in the game and got completely ignored after Tannehill rolled out to the right and threw short. Wallace was just held his hands up like WTF after the play was over.

Simply was not targeted much given the money he got from the Dolphins. It's almost embarrassing to have a guy like that just out running thru the motions while Tannehill continues to lock in on Hartline and for some unGodly reason Gibson. The announcers didn't really even talk about Wallace either. It was very strange all around.
True but he did get 2 looks deep, one was overthrown and the other Wallace got nudged by Haden and threw his route off. He dropped that sideline ball, then you are right he was open on a couple other plays, THill checked off of him to go inside to Gibson.

Mike Wallace upset over lack of receptions against Browns

By Kevin Nogle  @thephinsider on Sep 9 2013, 11:00a 79

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/9/9/4709588/mike-wallace-upset-over-lack-of-receptions-against-browns

The Miami Dolphins beat the Cleveland Browns yesterday, coming away with the 23-10 victory and starting the season 1-0. From the post game reaction of wide receiver Mike Wallace, you wouldn't have guessed the Dolphins were on the right side of the score line.

It took one game for Miami Dolphins wide receiver Mike Wallace to go from prized acquisition of the offseason to moody diva upset over not getting the ball enough. On a day that saw the Dolphins beat the Cleveland Browns, with Brian Hartline pulling in nine passes for 114 yards and a touchdown and Brandon Gibson adding seven receptions for 77 yards, Wallace's one catch for 15 yards stuck out at the end of Sunday's game.

And, Wallace was clearly aware of the disparity.

"I don't want to talk. I don't feel like talking about it," Wallace told Miami Herald reporters as they approached him after the game. When asked why he was not involved much in the first half, and if it was a deliberate decision to target him early in the second half, the former Pittsburgh Steelers receiver added, "Ask Coach. It's not my game plan."

As the team celebrated the win, Wallace spent time with General Manager Jeff Ireland, clearly bothered by the lack of production. Part of the reason Miami signed Wallace this free agency period was for the attention he would draw, freeing up other receivers. That's exactly what he did Sunday.

"It's frustrating for Mike," quarterback Ryan Tannehill, who finished 24-for-38 for 272 yards and the Hartline touchdown, explained in his post game remarks. He then referenced his time at Texas A&M as a receiver. "I've been there, playing receiver back in the day, when they take you away. It's frustrating. But, by them taking him away, it really opened up Gibson, Hartline, and even [Charles] Clay, so frustrating for Mike, but at the same time, it opened up some other things for us."

I am reading that Mike Wallace is Questionable for Sunday. Groin injury limited him in practice. Anyone know more on this?

You know how there's always that one guy who drives you absolutely nuts every season? Guess who it is this year?

Week 1, I start him and he's invisible.

Week 2, I sit him and he blows up.

This week, right back into the lineup. Right back to being invisible.

:wall:

You know how there's always that one guy who drives you absolutely nuts every season? Guess who it is this year?

Week 1, I start him and he's invisible.

Week 2, I sit him and he blows up.

This week, right back into the lineup. Right back to being invisible.

:wall:
Can you let me know each week what you plan on doing with him? Thanks.

So what is everyone's thought process with this guy? Either leave him in your lineup every week or leave him out of your lineup every week?

He's had one great game and two terrible games. There's no way he can be trusted.

On the other hand, he's at New Orleans on Monday night. If Miami will ever need to throw a lot, this seems to be the spot for it.

I think you gotta play him every week. I expect the second half of the season to be stronger than the first because he's still new here and developing rapport with Tannehill who is still very green at the QB position. This week should be somewhat of a shootout so hopefully he gets a decent chunk of targets.

The good news is that he's not just a one trick pony here. He's running all sorts of routes. But he's always a threat to take it 80 yards, so we've just got to hope that he and Tannehill get more consistent so the games where he doesn't score a TD don't look like weeks 1 and 3. Keep in mind, he was inches away from a second TD in week 2. If Tannehill had led him better it would have been an easy TD, but he had to wait for the ball.

What's good for Wallace is also good for Tannehill. I think both of them will be strong plays in the second half of the season. If you need a QB, you should look into snagging him on the cheap now. He's only going to get better. I can't say the same for their running game.

last week for me in my lineups,needs to just get average production . he dont have to put up 9/115 every week bu the two catch clunkers are maddening

From an NFL stance he is drawing the coverage and allowing hartline to get open.

I'm done. Cutting him in the morning just so I don't have to even CONSIDER using him ever again.

He's useless in this offense. They have too many other priorities, and even when they take a deep shot to him it goes right through his hands. He's no better than my WR6 now anyway. Some of my younger guys (Thompkins/Edelman/Gordon/Jeffrey) have emerged nicely and Blackmon is due back this week. Maybe some of you still need to count on him in deeper leagues. Good luck.

Wallace just made a nice tackle on an interception. Hopefully he gets a point for that.
He should get at least double points for the INT. If it weren't for him quitting on the route there wouldn't have even been an INT in the first place. Nice $11mil reach for the ball once he stopped running though. I wonder how much they need to pay him to get him to keep running into possible contact.

Why I drafted this guy and Ivory when everyone else was reading the tea leaves is beyond me. Just...stupid.

The play over the middle may defines his season up until now. Minimal effort, minimal result.

Why I drafted this guy and Ivory when everyone else was reading the tea leaves is beyond me. Just...stupid.

The play over the middle may defines his season up until now. Minimal effort, minimal result.
Don't overlook the bomb that went right through his hands and brushed his jersey between the numbers. Could Tannehill have placed it any better if he was standing next to him?

Users who are viewing this thread