What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Avoid Mike Wallace, the Raven? (1 Viewer)

Avoid the Mike Wallace thread. (It's covered in piss.)

Wallace presents a potential dynasty buy low opportunity. Miami's O-Line, play calling, and the Tannehill-Wallace chemistry can only get better. Wallace could be a cheap WR3 / match up play for the next few years.

Wallace presents a potential dynasty buy low opportunity. Miami's O-Line, play calling, and the Tannehill-Wallace chemistry can only get better. Wallace could be a cheap WR3 / match up play for the next few years.
This is the answer. Yes, the Fins did overpay him, but that does not mean he should be avoided in fantasy football. Based upon the overwhelming opinions in this thread from people who probably did not watch a lot of Miami football last year, Wallace is a great target in FFB. Probably severely undervalued in many leagues. Dude was wide open regularly last year. Decent chance Tannehill has that extra half second this year to hit him on a few of those going forward.

I love how all the anti-Wallace fools are Steelers fans butt hurt that he would not give them a hometown discount.
Not sure what you're talking about because almost every steeler fan was glad to see him go and not see them WASTE $ on him. He couldn't catch a cold his last year there. The correct statement would be pro-wallace fools for anyone that wanted him.
Thanks for proving my point. I searched your threads and you post in Steelers game day threads and off season threads. Looks like you are a butt hurt fan.
Sounds like maybe you're the one who needs this:

Excellent little tutorial for you here.

apalmer said:
I love how all the anti-Wallace fools are Steelers fans butt hurt that he would not give them a hometown discount.
Not sure what you're talking about because almost every steeler fan was glad to see him go and not see them WASTE $ on him. He couldn't catch a cold his last year there. The correct statement would be pro-wallace fools for anyone that wanted him.
Thanks for proving my point. I searched your threads and you post in Steelers game day threads and off season threads. Looks like you are a butt hurt fan.
Sounds like maybe you're the one who needs this:Excellent little tutorial for you here.
Hey hyena Steeler fan - if I have not made it abundantly clear, Steeler fans opinion of Mike Wallace have no weight. Every jackhole in here that disses on Mike Wallace is a butt hurt Steeler fan. All of you wanted to keep him but did not like how the Steelers could not afford him and he did not give a hometown discount. Get over it. He took the money, now the Steelers have less talent and suck.

:goodposting:

Particularly the first line

Mike Wallace poised for a rebound season?

By Jamey Eisenberg | Senior Fantasy Writer

We're starting our preseason outlooks for the upcoming season, and I'm going to post a blog on at least one player from every team I'm writing about. First up is the Dolphins and Mike Wallace.

Wallace was obviously a disappointment in 2013, his first year in Miami, when he finished as the No. 25 Fantasy receiver in standard leagues with a career-low five touchdowns to go with 73 catches for 930 yards. But a deeper look shows there could be some promise for this year.

He closed the season with 29 catches for 396 yards and four touchdowns in his final six games, scoring at least 14 Fantasy points in three of those outings. And when Wallace was involved last year he played well.

He had at least nine targets in nine games, and he finished with at least eight Fantasy points in seven of those contests. And new offensive coordinator Bill Lazor, who spent last season as the quarterbacks coach for the Eagles, could find new ways to get Wallace involved.

The Miami Herald points out that Wallace lined up on the right side 90 percent of the time last year. Lazor, who was part of Chip Kelly's staff, saw what happened when DeSean Jackson moved around last season, and Wallace has a similar skill set -- speed -- that would cause mismatches in the slot.

I'm not going crazy over Wallace this year, especially amid reports from CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason LaCanfora that the Dolphins tried to trade him this offseason. But as a No. 3 Fantasy receiver with a mid-round pick, I'd take a chance on Wallace in that range.

One positive is that last year was terrible for him, but he still finished just outside the Top 24. If he can rebound to averaging the nine touchdowns he had from 2010-12 then he'll be a Top 20 option -- if not higher.

The Dolphins have improved their offense with the addition of left tackle Branden Albert and running back Knowshon Moreno, along with the potential upgrade of Lazor over Mike Sherman. And this is all before the NFL Draft.

Hopefully it will benefit Wallace, and he should be in line for better stats in 2014 compared to his first season in Miami last year.
Dolphins need to let Mike Wallace run up on safeties

Last edited by a moderator:
Miami Dolphins WR Mike Wallace excited about new offensive system

By Adam H. Beasley

Excerpt:

Don’t get him wrong, Mike Wallace sees the benefits of the voluntary offseason program, which began Monday. It’s a great way to build camaraderie.

But in truth, Wallace and Ryan Tannehill won’t really make their much-needed strides until much later in the summer, he believes.

“Right now, always good to get chemistry going with your quarterback,” Wallace told The Finsiders radio program Tuesday. “But I don’t think it’s going to really make a difference. It’s going to make a difference when we get guys in front of us and start lining up.”

Wallace means what he says. He was fine missing the first day of the spring sessions Monday to be with his family, instead choosing to show up for Day 2.

What he found in his return to Miami: A whole new offense, one that he believes is better suited to his strengths.

“My style: Big-play offense,” Wallace said, referring to first-year coordinator Bill Lazor’s new system. “I see Ryan’s excited about it. He’s called me about eight, nine times.

“I just want to make some plays for my team,” Wallace continued. “Go out and make some plays for my team and have a much better year than last year. We can't have the kind of year we had last year. We need to be on the same page.”

Wallace had a career-high 73 catches last year, his first in Miami, but believes he left 15 to 20 touchdowns on the field because he and Tannehill could never figure out the deep ball.

“It’s a process,” said Joe Philbin, also appearing on the team-run radio program. “We feel like we’re going to see greater dividends this year.”

As for the new offense, there will be some wrinkles, but Philbin downplayed just how different Lazor’s system will be to Mike Sherman’s.

“When you cut down to it, we’re going to throw routes with three-step drops, five-step drops and seven-step drops,” Philbin said. “There will be in-breaking routes, out-breaking routes, double moves.

“While some of the terminology will be different, a lot of the core fundamentals of quarterback play don’t change.”

“It’s a process,” said Joe Philbin, also appearing on the team-run radio program. “We feel like we’re going to see greater dividends this year.”

As for the new offense, there will be some wrinkles, but Philbin downplayed just how different Lazor’s system will be to Mike Sherman’s.

“When you cut down to it, we’re going to throw routes with three-step drops, five-step drops and seven-step drops,” Philbin said. “There will be in-breaking routes, out-breaking routes, double moves.

“While some of the terminology will be different, a lot of the core fundamentals of quarterback play don’t change.”
After the offensive showing the last two games of the year with the playoffs on the line Philbin really shouldn't be saying anything about this offense being similar.

Rotoworld:

According to the Miami Herald, "several" Dolphins players believe some of the team's coaches "aren't big fans" of Mike Wallace.
A prominent agent also told the Herald that head coach Joe Philbin is "running in that place." The Dolphins are "looking closely" at first- and second-round wide receivers, and players on the team believe the Fins "want to replace (Wallace) in a year or so." Miami could save $2.5 million in salary cap space by releasing Wallace next offseason, or $9.3 million by cutting him in 2016.

Source: Miami Herald

Rotoworld:

Mike Wallace - WR - Dolphins

Mike Wallace admitted he "didn't feel like I knew what was going on" last season.

Observers of departed OC Mike Sherman's scheme didn't know what was going on either. He never even attempted to establish a run game, turned Ryan Tannehill into a pinata (league-high 58 sacks) and was strikingly uncreative with Wallace. New OC Bill Lazor is moving Wallace all over the formation, something that played a major role in DeSean Jackson's career-best 2013 season. Wallace says he feels "a lot more comfortable" and hasn't missed a single chance to work out with Tannehill this offseason. He's going to improve drastically on last year's career-worst 12.7 YPC and five touchdowns.

Source: Palm Beach Post

May 28 - 6:42 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Dolphins reporter James Walker believes Mike Wallace could be primed for a big year in 2014.

Wallace posted a career-worst 12.7 YPC and five touchdowns under Mike Sherman last season, but has bounce-back appeal in new OC Bill Lazor's more vertical-based passing attack. He's reportedly put in better work this offseason and has shown improved chemistry with Ryan Tannehill. Wallace is moving all over the formation in OTAs after playing just three-percent of his snaps in the slot last year. With Lazor now calling the shots, the Dolphins should manufacture more touches for Wallace in 2014.

Source: ESPN.com

May 31 - 6:58 PM

Count me in on the love for Wallace this year. I think he's going to be on every team of mine at his current ADP.
Trying to get him in a league now where I am thin at WR. He cant do any worse and is on a team with very few passing options and a new OC. May be worth a shot at his low adp.

got him for 5% of budget in a recent dynasty auction best ball format. At those prices, im buying all day.

Got him for a bargain in a PPR contract auction startup.

36th WR by price

56% cost of 20th WR (Kendall Wright)

37% cost of 10th WR (Randall Cobb)

I'm not a big Wallace fan and hate the Miami offense, but this is a bargain for a solid WR3 with high WR2 potential... people are sleeping on him

Got him for a bargain in a PPR contract auction startup.

36th WR by price

56% cost of 20th WR (Kendall Wright)

37% cost of 10th WR (Randall Cobb)

I'm not a big Wallace fan and hate the Miami offense, but this is a bargain for a solid WR3 with high WR2 potential... people are sleeping on him
I can understand hating the Miami offense based upon last year...but this year has a whole different feel to it. The new OC (Lazor - QB Coach from Philly) supposedly is bringing the Chip Kelly offense from Philly with him to Miami, and they rebuilt the entire offensive line. The 2 biggest problems last year with their offense were easily Mike Sherman's play calling, and the historically horrible OL. We haven't seen anything yet to suggest definitively that those problems have been solved, but the changes were made to afford at least the strong possibility that what you hated last year no longer exists.

I am a Fins fan, and I am pretty excited about the offense this year. If nothing else, it should be a lot more fun to watch.

Regarding Wallace, last year Sherman used him in one position on almost every single play, making it easy for defenses to game plan. Even with that, he should have easily scored 6 or more additional long TDs last year, but Tannehill was probably seeing ghosts in the pocket by week 4 after being sacked 20 times, and never got the timing down with him. This year, in OTA's at least, Lazor is moving Wallace all around the formation, similarly to how DeSean Jackson was used in the Philly offense in 13. With a little offensive creativity, and a half second more time in the pocket for the QB, I see Wallace potentially getting back to his early Steeler ways.

With all of this considered, I could easily see him improving on his 13 numbers by 300 yards (960 to 1260) and 5 TDs (to 10). Does not seem at all like a reach given how bad the situation was last year.

ETA from Rotoworld...

ESPN Dolphins reporter James Walker believes Mike Wallace could be primed for a big 2014.
Wallace posted career lows in yards per reception (12.7) and TDs (5) under Mike Sherman last season, but has bounce-back appeal in new OC Bill Lazor's more vertical-based attack. He's reportedly shown improved chemistry with Ryan Tannehill. Wallace is being used at all three receiver spots after playing just 3% of his snaps in the slot last year. With Lazor now calling plays, the Dolphins should manufacture more touches for Wallace. May 31 - 6:58 PM

Any veteran FF players will tell you how important it is to not be spiteful and hold a grudge against players who burned you the past year or two. That said, he's going to have to drop right into my lap at the right spot for him to be on my team again. I'll keep an open mind, but someone else will surely value him more than I do.

Rotoworld:

According to the Miami Herald, Mike Wallace is "clearly better spirits" under new OC Bill Lazor.

Per reporter Barry Jackson, Wallace is jazzed about the flexibility Lazor's offense gives him to "change where he lines up." Former OC Mike Sherman was infamously uncreative with his use of his No. 1 receiver. Wallace is a strong bet to improve on his 73/930/5 2013 line.

Source: Miami Herald

Jun 2 - 5:07 PM

Just guessing, but I think there's a pretty good chance my league undervalues him. Such a high profile signing, which was not universally celebrated, followed by early quietness. I think a lot of people will not look too closely at him.

Not sure where I would rank him now, but it wouldn't surprise me if he becomes a bargain in a lot of redrafts.

This is how people steal value in drafts and run away with leagues.

Drafting great value everyone hates for whatever reason. Wallace is being drafted at exactly where he finished last year. In my league he finished as the 81st player and that is his current ADP. Chances are better than good that Sherman had a big impact on his downfall and he can do better then his WR28 finish of a year ago.

So yes, screw this turd as you say, let him fall to me as a WR3/4 with WR2 even WR1 upside.

Buy, Mortimer!

Mike Wallace confirmed he will frequently move around the formation in new Dolphins OC Bill Lazor's offense.

Lazor comes from Philly, where DeSean Jackson was a movable chess piece and played 30 percent of his 2013 snaps in the slot. "Nobody can ever key on me," Wallace said. "Last year, you kind of knew where I was every single play." Indeed. Wallace played 90 percent of his 2013 downs on the right side of Miami's formation. He's a sneaky bounce-back candidate with high-end WR2 upside.

Jun 6 - 1:30 AM

This is the answer. Yes, the Fins did overpay him, but that does not mean he should be avoided in fantasy football. Based upon the overwhelming opinions in this thread from people who probably did not watch a lot of Miami football last year, Wallace is a great target in FFB. Probably severely undervalued in many leagues. Dude was wide open regularly last year. Decent chance Tannehill has that extra half second this year to hit him on a few of those going forward.
Keep in mind that this thread is a year old and based on where people were drafting him (9-12wr) last year, it was wise to avoid him.

This year may be completely different and maybe I will change the thread to see what people think for 2014 but based on his actual production last year, most people that responded and discussed this last year were right.

Keep in mind that this thread is a year old and based on where people were drafting him (9-12wr) last year, it was wise to avoid him.
You just made that number up and know it is false because I posted his ADP earlier in this thread which you responded to. Bad advice last year as he ended nearly at his ADP. Glad to see you are not going to re-up on that advice.

I love the title of this thread a year later. I agreed with the sentiment last year but I think he's going to represent great value this year.

This is how people steal value in drafts and run away with leagues.

Drafting great value everyone hates for whatever reason. Wallace is being drafted at exactly where he finished last year. In my league he finished as the 81st player and that is his current ADP. Chances are better than good that Sherman had a big impact on his downfall and he can do better then his WR28 finish of a year ago.

So yes, screw this turd as you say, let him fall to me as a WR3/4 with WR2 even WR1 upside.
he was drafted as wr3/4 last year and got cut in re-drafts, wasnt hardly startable.

his best asset is as a deep threat and his qb misses him on the deep route all the time.

Pass

ETA - this is where situation trumps the talent a bit. Installing the Philly system sounds great, but I dont think they have the QB to pull it off. I like Wallace as a talent, but on the situation, im passing this year

It's a valid question. Why should we expect Tannehill to be any better at getting the ball to Wallace this year? I have a lot of memories as a Wallace owner of him waiting downfield, to see what would get to him first, the CB he just ran by, or the ball.

It's a valid question. Why should we expect Tannehill to be any better at getting the ball to Wallace this year? I have a lot of memories as a Wallace owner of him waiting downfield, to see what would get to him first, the CB he just ran by, or the ball.
Better coaches, better offense scheme, a year older in knowledge, his OLine will be better, better situation, a few more weapons...

Want me to continue?

Well he threw 24 Td's and almost 4,000 yards, in his second season...He also was sacked a #### load....The constant predictable fly route will be replaced this year....he is going to be in different formations and run different patterns dictated by the new offensive scheme.

Touchdown There said:
Shutout said:
You just made that number up and know it is false because I posted his ADP earlier in this thread which you responded to. Bad advice last year as he ended nearly at his ADP. Glad to see you are not going to re-up on that advice.
If you read the very first post in the thread you will clearly see that I said I was getting an odd feeling but was NOT telling people to avoid him. I was asking if other people who were following it what there thoughts were. The original thread also had a question mark (avoid mike Wallace?). Which I changed when RN suggested I remove the ? Once he epically failed.

So, you can get that stick out your butt about assuming I was beating a drum last year and if you are going to comment on it, at least understand it first.

Why some of you guys treat ff discussions like legal pleadings and try to make it so technical and so much more than it is, I will never know.

Touchdown There said:
Shutout said:
If you read the very first post in the thread you will clearly see that I said I was getting an odd feeling but was NOT telling people to avoid him. I was asking if other people who were following it what there thoughts were. The original thread also had a question mark (avoid mike Wallace?). Which I changed when RN suggested I remove the ? Once he epically failed.

So, you can get that stick out your butt about assuming I was beating a drum last year and if you are going to comment on it, at least understand it first.

Why some of you guys treat ff discussions like legal pleadings and try to make it so technical and so much more than it is, I will never know.
Love that line.

Lots of time people miss a persons whole point and attack the one spot they disagree.

Back to the point, Wallace is the most under rated #1 WR in all of fantasy. Will be interesting to see how he fits in this new offense.

Where do you see Wallace finishing this year? Would you be willing to give up a late first round rookie pick for him? He is legitimately #1 on his team. I am predicting 80/1100/9-10. What say you?

Touchdown There said:
Shutout said:

Is Christo in this thread somewhere?

This is what I'm talking about. This is what I want from Rotoworld... Info, not rhetoric.

Mike Wallace has taken snaps out of the backfield in Dolphins OTAs.

Wallace, who has also lined up outside and in the slot, scored out of the formation last week. It's just the latest indication new OC Bill Lazor is serious about using Wallace as a movable chess piece after his predecessor Mike Sherman kept Wallace glued to the outside. We're still only in pad-less practices, but Lazor appears a good bet to make the Dolphins' offense far more watchable and competent in 2014.

Where do you see Wallace finishing this year? Would you be willing to give up a late first round rookie pick for him? He is legitimately #1 on his team. I am predicting 80/1100/9-10. What say you?
. I'd say that's about right. 73-930 and 5 last year while relegated to one side of the field in a terrible offense. If they move him around as discussed, I think those are decent projections.

Buy, Mortimer!

Mike Wallace confirmed he will frequently move around the formation in new Dolphins OC Bill Lazor's offense.

Lazor comes from Philly, where DeSean Jackson was a movable chess piece and played 30 percent of his 2013 snaps in the slot. "Nobody can ever key on me," Wallace said. "Last year, you kind of knew where I was every single play." Indeed. Wallace played 90 percent of his 2013 downs on the right side of Miami's formation. He's a sneaky bounce-back candidate with high-end WR2 upside.

Jun 6 - 1:30 AM
This is good news. Wallace barely ever even went into the huddle last year. He just stood out on his island and ran a hitch or a go. Awful.

i really like his value right now. i have a feeling once camp and relevant preseason games are done the value wont be there anymore.

I think he bounces back a little. Tannehill missed him a number of times last year when he was open long, the offense seems more organized, the OL has to be better, etc. Plus everyone seems to hate him because he signed that dumb contract.

I like the potential value, esp as a WR 3 if he's available there.

I think he bounces back a little. Tannehill missed him a number of times last year when he was open long, the offense seems more organized, the OL has to be better, etc. Plus everyone seems to hate him because he signed that dumb contract.

I like the potential value, esp as a WR 3 if he's available there.
It's such a fine line. Let's say they hit just 3 or 4 of those for scores. He'd have been right on the cusp of WR1 status.

Users who are viewing this thread