What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Avoid Mike Wallace, the Raven? (3 Viewers)

Did Wallace tell Philbin to yank him from the game, or did Wallace ask Gibson to speak to the coach about it?

Mike turned down more money from Minnesota when he signed with Miami. He is a committed Dolphin. They may see to it he is committed.

Steelers really flubbed not paying this guy 12 million a year and giving (2/3rds) of that money to Brown instead. 12 million a year for a one-trick pony or $8 million to the best WR in football. Tough call.

imo gibson's attitude/role/participation is almost even worse....I wouldn't want to be on a team with either of them......

imo gibson's attitude/role/participation is almost even worse....I wouldn't want to be on a team with either of them.....making a whole joke of the thing and laughing about it at the club later.....good luck finding a team that wants that type of maturity/professionalism next year......they will be bagging groceries soon with some serious bling around their neck....

What a freaking circus. Can anyone imagining something like this going on if anyone other than Philbin were coach?

Steelers really flubbed not paying this guy 12 million a year and giving (2/3rds) of that money to Brown instead. 12 million a year for a one-trick pony or $8 million to the best WR in football. Tough call.
Wallace has performed well despite having a QB who can't use his "one" trick. He was never going to be worth the payday he had coming.

Haha, quote from Jeff Darlington inside that article is pretty spot on:

Something wrong: Wallace ends season on bench. Tannehill ends season on ground. Dolphins end season with loss. Philbin ends season with job.
If it makes any sense, I thought Wallace and Tannehill played pretty well independently, but were not a very good duo. Wallace proved much more versatile than butt hurt Steelers fans will ever admit, but his skill set is not being fully utilized. It might be better for him to just get cut before free agency so he can latch on somewhere that will use him properly.

Something wrong: Wallace ends season on bench. Tannehill ends season on ground. Dolphins end season with loss. Philbin ends season with job.
If it makes any sense, I thought Wallace and Tannehill played pretty well independently, but were not a very good duo. Wallace proved much more versatile than butt hurt Steelers fans will ever admit, but his skill set is not being fully utilized. It might be better for him to just get cut before free agency so he can latch on somewhere that will use him properly.
No one is butt hurt. He wasn't worth the money Miami offered and he chose the cash. No one can blame him for that. It sucked to lose him, but Brown has been so much better (and ACTUALLY versatile) in that role that it couldn't have played out better in retrospect. If Wallace took the 5/50 that Pittsburgh offered, they likely wouldn't have extended Brown. Can you imagine what he would fetch on the open market now compared to what he currently makes? Yikes.

Last edited by a moderator:

No one is butt hurt. He wasn't worth the money Miami offered and he chose the cash. No one can blame him for that. It sucked to lose him, but Brown has been so much better (and ACTUALLY versatile) in that role that it couldn't have played out better in retrospect. If Wallace took the 5/50 that Pittsburgh offered, they likely wouldn't have extended Brown. Can you imagine what he would fetch on the open market now compared to what he currently makes? Yikes.
There ARE butt hurt Steelers fans out there that trash this guy regularly. I wasn't speaking about you or anyone in particular. It's just a fact. Brown is in the best situation for him. Wallace isn't. I like both players and have no ties to either team. People who have ties to either team seem to have some pretty clouded judgment.

i am not a butt hurt steelers fan but i talk crap about wallace a lot i think he stinks the bag and now we find out he is a quitter to so hey what a guy just one more reasons he is a bum who chews gum take that to the bank ninja brohan

Rotoworld:

Dolphins executive VP of football operations Mike Tannenbaum waffled when asked about Mike Wallace's future with the team.

Wallace was reportedly benched for challenging the coaching staff during the Dolphins Week 17 loss to the Jets. Tannenbaum failed to give an answer when pressed on the incident, saying there are "two sides to every story" and he wants to be "a good listener." He also refused to talk about Wallace's future, saying the Dolphins will "make the most responsible decision for us possible." $3 million of Wallace's $9.9 million salary for 2015 becomes guaranteed if he is still on the roster when the league year begins. Miami could save $2.5 million against the cap by cutting Wallace.

Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Jan 10 - 1:18 PM

Rotoworld:

Mike Wallace - WR - Dolphins

The Miami Herald reports Mike Wallace isn't open to taking a pay cut from the Dolphins.

Saddled with a $12.1 million cap number and a bad attitude, the Dolphins have a decision to make on Wallace. There are a lot of moving parts here. The Dolphins can save $6.9 million in cash and $2.5 million against the cap by cutting Wallace, but they also have to make calls on Brian Hartline and Brandon Gibson. Hartline and Gibson should be easy cuts at their current salaries, so if Miami cuts them, it'd be tough to also dump Wallace and tear down their receiving corps.

Source: Miami Herald

Jan 11 - 11:02 AM

Pwingles said:
assume he is gone, landing spots? worth a buy low?
I think he is worth a buy low if he ends up in a spot with a QB who can throw a decent deep ball. He was open often, but just could not get on the same page with Tannehill (thats being nice to Tannehill).

My bet is that he stays in Miami when the dust settles. His contract is not tradeable, so Miami would have to cut him. After Jarvis Landry, there is not another viable starting NFL WR on the roster, unless you put Hartline in that category which is arguable. Of course, free agency could change that, but working with what we have today, I think Wallace stays put. Unless he and Tanny get it together on passes over 20 yards, I wouldnt expect more than inconsistent WR2/3 play.

Pwingles said:
assume he is gone, landing spots? worth a buy low?
I think he is worth a buy low if he ends up in a spot with a QB who can throw a decent deep ball. He was open often, but just could not get on the same page with Tannehill (thats being nice to Tannehill).

My bet is that he stays in Miami when the dust settles. His contract is not tradeable, so Miami would have to cut him. After Jarvis Landry, there is not another viable starting NFL WR on the roster, unless you put Hartline in that category which is arguable. Of course, free agency could change that, but working with what we have today, I think Wallace stays put. Unless he and Tanny get it together on passes over 20 yards, I wouldnt expect more than inconsistent WR2/3 play.
I hope he gets cut. I don't know how many teams are interested in him, especially the way it ended, but I'd love to see him in Carolina on the cheap or cheaper. Not sure how expensive he would be, but it would be great to get a deep threat.

Rotoworld:

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins could approach Mike Wallace about a restructure instead of outright releasing him.

Reporter Barry Jackson considers it "highly questionable" that Wallace would be open to reworking his deal. A "no" stance on a restructure would be a sign that Wallace would like his odds on the open market, even though it's shaping up as a loaded receiver class. Wallace is due $9.9 million for 2015, $3 million of which becomes guaranteed if he remains on the roster through March 10.

Source: Miami Herald

Feb 12 - 10:20 PM

Rotoworld:

Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey said at the Combine that his recent dinner with Mike Wallace was a "good conversation," but remained noncommittal on Wallace's future in Miami.

When teams are publicly noncommittal about players' futures, it usually means they're open to moving on. There just isn't a realistic scenario where the Fins could upgrade on Wallace for 2015. The team's leading touchdown scorer a year ago, Wallace is owed $9.9 million in salary and a workout bonus.

Source: Barry Jackson on Twitter
Feb 18 - 7:35 PM

He is gone. He wasnt in the teams 4 minute promo vid for the new stadium, he quit on them, and his best asset cant be maximized in Miami. Connect the dots, and the picture is easy to see. Hopefully he goes somewhere fantasy friendly. Maybe Philly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

The Sun-Sentinel reports Mike Wallace has informed the Dolphins he isn't willing to restructure the final three years of his contract.

Wallace has three years and $32.9 million left on his contract, and the Dolphins would like him to take a pay cut if he's going to stick around in Miami. Wallace holds all the cards here. He's easily the team's biggest playmaker and is coming off a 10-touchdown season even with Ryan Tannehill's complete incapability of throwing any semblance of a deep ball. Wallace probably prefers to escape the dumpster fire that is the Dolphins. As our own Patrick Daugherty put it: "The same team that couldn't work with Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis is now preparing to dump Wallace. Novel idea: Maybe just figure things out?" Brian Hartline and Brandon Gibson are barely replacement-level receivers.

Source: Sun-Sentinel

Feb 27 - 9:11 AM

Rotoworld:

The Sun-Sentinel reports Mike Wallace has informed the Dolphins he isn't willing to restructure the final three years of his contract.

Wallace has three years and $32.9 million left on his contract, and the Dolphins would like him to take a pay cut if he's going to stick around in Miami. Wallace holds all the cards here. He's easily the team's biggest playmaker and is coming off a 10-touchdown season even with Ryan Tannehill's complete incapability of throwing any semblance of a deep ball. Wallace probably prefers to escape the dumpster fire that is the Dolphins. As our own Patrick Daugherty put it: "The same team that couldn't work with Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis is now preparing to dump Wallace. Novel idea: Maybe just figure things out?" Brian Hartline and Brandon Gibson are barely replacement-level receivers.

Source: Sun-Sentinel

Feb 27 - 9:11 AM
Hartline has already been cut. Seems like Miami's plan is to cut these two guys, which means a ####load of dead cap space, and then spend another draft pick on a WR. Dumpster fire is right.

where is that giant rant about the steelers being stupid and cheap to let wallace go to miami?
No one was saying that at the time. People were defending Wallace's decision.
Goes to show you people don't remember words as they are written, but how they are perceived. The Steelers could not cap afford Wallace, that was the argument which is fact. Wallace is making tons of money in a state w no income tax. He did not make the wrong decision if his priority is to earn as much as he can in a limited time frame.

Tannehill is trash, simple as that. Completely separate issue.

where is that giant rant about the steelers being stupid and cheap to let wallace go to miami?
Goes to show you people don't remember words as they are written, but how they are perceived. The Steelers could not cap afford Wallace, that was the argument which is fact. Wallace is making tons of money in a state w no income tax. He did not make the wrong decision if his priority is to earn as much as he can in a limited time frame.Tannehill is trash, simple as that. Completely separate issue.
Except that it isn't fact, but I've tried every possible way to explain it to no avail.

Wallace made the right decision. The Steelers made the right decision. The Dolphins were the only ones who whiffed here.

Goes to show you people don't remember words as they are written, but how they are perceived. The Steelers could not cap afford Wallace, that was the argument which is fact. Wallace is making tons of money in a state w no income tax. He did not make the wrong decision if his priority is to earn as much as he can in a limited time frame.Tannehill is trash, simple as that. Completely separate issue.
Except that it isn't fact, but I've tried every possible way to explain it to no avail.

Wallace made the right decision. The Steelers made the right decision. The Dolphins were the only ones who whiffed here.
^ This. The Steelers could have offered more. They didn't.

Except that it isn't fact, but I've tried every possible way to explain it to no avail.Wallace made the right decision. The Steelers made the right decision. The Dolphins were the only ones who whiffed here.
^ This. The Steelers could have offered more. They didn't.
One restructure or cut (if they even needed that) would have been enough to free up the extra 3-4 million per that they would have needed to meet Wallace's ask instead of what they gave Brown. Thanks heaven they didn't do it because that probably would have precluded them from committing the money they did to Antonio, as they wouldn't have sunk that much cash into the WR position. If he had walked and then become what he is on another team, I would have been despondent. Instead, now they have one of the best sets of 3 top receivers for an aggregate salary less than what Wallace makes by himself.

Users who are viewing this thread