What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Toon or Still ? Who will be the Saint #3 wr ? (1 Viewer)

Sir Psycho

Footballguy
With Colston alway dinged up, one of them could emerge as a viable #2wr.

So who do you think will win the job ?

All blurbs the past two weeks have pointed to Stills being ahead of Toon. He caught all four balls thrown his way and scored a TD.

Seems like Stills has done a great job working the sidelines and Brees seems to be increasing his faith in the kid. I can't remember Toon with too many catches with Brees and the 1st team offense on the field this preseason.

I'd say both.

If Colston or Moore misses time (very likely) than I think Stills becomes a Fantasy WR3 or higher. I think Stills still has value even without an injury, but it will be spotty and inconsistent, as this 3rd Saints WR position always is.

Toon I think slides right into the Morgan/Henderson/Meachem role of the deep ball guy. I think he'll retain that, regardless of injuries or playing time for the 3 guys above him.

I'd draft Stills first in PPR.

I think we could be 5 games in the regular season and still not know. Tough call rostering either at the end of a redraft league, even with deep rosters.

The answer might be both.

The Saints have used quite a few speedy deep threat guys in recent years (Meachem, Henderson, Morgan). Stills can provide them with some of the same things.

I think Toon offers a little more as a possession WR and is more of a like-for-like replacement for Colston if he should miss extensive time.

Long term, I would guess that Toon has a higher chance of being a solid #1 or #2 target, whereas Stills should settle in as a Henderson type.

Right now it's shaping up as Stills, Toon and Parker as WR's 3, 4 and 5, respectively.

Toon has looked terrific.

But they have been throwing Stills' way quite a lot in PS Games 1 & 2. Game 1 Stills had some mistakes but he was on this weekend.

Toon looks like a pro, ready to go.

Preston Parker is looking good too.

All of this is shadded by the fact Moore and Colston have not played much this preseason, but I think Stills and Toon will have important roles, the Saints will be going deep with agression this year by the looks of it and they will both used that way. Stills may have some good games. I'd get Toon right away if Colston is out for any reason. I think they both will be better than Henderson and Meachem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found a quote about Stills:

Kenny Stills is the man to beat for New Orleans Saints No. 3 receiver job, despite his up-and-down debut

By Mike Triplett, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

Kenny Stills had a dropped pass, a fumble and an offensive pass interference call during the New Orleans Saints' preseason opener on Friday night. And his stat sheet paled in comparison to fellow young receivers Preston Parker and Nick Toon during the Saints' 17-13 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs

Yet, oddly enough, I still came away liking the rookie's chances of winning the No. 3 receiver job more than I did before the game.

Although Stills didn't maximize his opportunity on Friday night, the Saints clearly showed how highly they think of the talented fifth-round draft pick from Oklahoma, giving him some prime-time looks with the first-string offense.

"We didn't just flip a coin or go rock-paper-scissors," Saints coach Sean Payton said of giving Stills the starting nod Friday while veteran Marques Colston sat out as a precaution with his foot injury still on the mend.

"He's been playing pretty well. He's smart, he's picked up things well. He runs well," Payton continued. "There's gonna be a number of good things for us to see, and things we need to correct from his play tonight. But we wanted to give him a look with us resting Colston. And he's gonna have to contribute.

"He's shown enough early in this camp where, you know, we think he can. He's learned quickly. Some of the other guys need to pick up and figure out what they're doing."

Payton didn't name names when it came to those "other guys," but he talked about the receivers' struggles with getting lined up and knowing their assignments.

It's all the more impressive that Stills has vaulted himself so high in the pecking order since he just got here three months ago.

Typically, the Saints make their young receivers wait and learn for a year or two. Not since Colston in 2006 have they thrown a rookie into the fire right away.

But Stills' chance might arrive much sooner - especially in the wake of this week's season-ending injury to incumbent No. 3 receiver Joe Morgan.

Clearly, though, Stills still has some work to do.

His Saints debut was far from a clean performance.

He couldn't hang on to a deep pass on the Saints' fourth play of the night that would have made him an instant cult hero in the Who Dat Nation. It was a difficult catch, but Stills himself insisted it was a drop, saying, "Anything that touches my hands is a drop. So I definitely was disappointed in that."

Stills bounced back quickly with an outstanding back-shoulder catch for a 22-yard gain on the next series. But on the very next play, he fumbled the exchange from quarterback Drew Brees on an attempted end-around run. He took the blame for that, as well, saying "I got ahead of myself."

"A little bit of good, a little bit of bad," Stills said of his NFL debut. "You know, it was the first game, so (it was good) to just to be able to get those jitters out of the way, just to be able to get out there and start playing again and stop thinking so much.

"You know, I expect a lot more from myself. So I'm excited to get back to work."ater in the game, Stills was flagged for a very questionable offensive pass interference penalty when he got tangled up with a cornerback on an underthrown deep ball from backup quarterback Luke McCown. But Stills won't get too much heat for that since both Payton and Brees showed stunned reactions after watching the replay - and Payton called timeout to ask the officials what they were thinking.

Anyone glancing at the Saints' stat sheet might think Stills fell behind a few other guys in the pecking order on Friday night, but that would be a false assumption.

Yes, Parker had a terrific night with both touchdown catches - also drawing praise from Payton after the game, and probably boosting his long-shot chances of making the 53-man roster in the process.

And Toon looked good, too, catching four passes for 66 yards. And his best catch of the night came on a deep ball from McCown that drifted a step out of bounds. If it had stayed in bounds, he might have 100 yards. I think Toon is a virtual lock to make the Saints' 53-man roster.

But both of those guys did their damage with the second-string offense against second- and third-string defenders. And neither one is quite the "dynamic" style of receiver that the Saints are looking for in their No. 3 receiver.

With Morgan gone, the Saints are looking for a big-play threat who can put a scare into opposing defenses. Stills has that ability. Although he wasn't always used as a deep threat at Oklahoma, he made big plays with his speed, finishing with 204 catches for 2,594 yards and 24 touchdowns in three years. Stills then ran the 40-yard dash in 4.38 seconds at the NFL scouting combine, tied for fourth fastest among receivers.

The biggest "knock" on Stills was that he was a "raw" prospect who might need time to develop. But the Saints are clearly willing to see if they can speed up that timetable.

I still think Stills' biggest competition will come from newly-signed veteran Steve Breaston, who played sparingly Friday because he's so new to the team. Or from other veterans who might come free on the free agent market this month (a group that could possibly include former Saints Devery Henderson and Robert Meachem).

But Stills has the first and best chance to win the job right now.

************** http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/08/kenny_stills_is_the_man_to_bea.html
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/viewart/20130815/SPORTS0302/130814036/Drop-aside-WR-Kenny-Stills-gaining-Saints-confidence-

Pro football: Kenny Stills proving he belongs in the NFLThe former OU receiver is making an impression with the New Orleans Saints
By Michael Baldwin Modified: August 16, 2013 at 3:00 pm • Published: August 15, 2013
When Oklahoma wide receiver Kenny Stills declared for the NFL Draft a year early some labeled it a mistake, a theory that gained momentum when Stills slid to the fifth round.
Stills, though, is a reminder what round a player is drafted can be trumped by opportunity.

New Orleans usually makes young receivers wait a year or two, but Stills has a shot at being the Saints' No. 3 receiver his rookie season.

“I want to show people that I deserve to be in this league,” Stills said. “A lot of people questioned me leaving early. I feel I can be good. I have a chip on my shoulder. I'm playing with a lot to prove.”

Stills wasn't drafted until the 144th overall selection. But he's made such an impression in offseason workouts and training camp he could be the first Saints rookie receiver to play a key role since Marques Colston in 2007.

Coach Sean Payton is so high on Stills, the San Diego product started last week's preseason opener against Kansas City. Stills filled in for Colston, who was experiencing swelling around his surgically repaired right kneecap.

“(Stills) picked up things well, runs well,” Payton told the New Orleans Time-Picayune. “He's going to have to contribute. He's shown enough early in camp we think he can. He's smart. He's learned quickly.”

Stills' performance was sloppy at times in the preseason opener. His stiffest competition could be veteran Steve Breaston.

Colston hopes to play in the Saints' second preseason game Friday night against the Oakland Raiders, but Stills will play several snaps.

Stills' father, Ken, will be watching. Ken played six years in the NFL. After his son's subpar effort last week he reminded Kenny there are no guarantees, that he better step it up.

Ken played at Wisconsin and was a safety five seasons with the Packers, one with the Vikings. He also coached in Frankfurt and Amsterdam.

“I've been around with my dad playing and coaching,” Stills said. “I knew what I was I was getting into.”

Stills' performance in the opener wasn't awful. The highlight was an acrobatic 22-yard, back-shoulder catch. But earlier in the game he fumbled an exchange on an end-around run. He also failed to haul in a tough catch on a deep ball labeled a drop and was flagged for a questionable pass interference penalty.

Daily practice sessions impact decisions, but Stills knows preseason games are pivotal.

“I've always embraced battles that are a daily occurrence,” Stills said. “There's a lot to it, but the bottom line as a receiver is to run the right route, get open and make plays.”

Making an immediate impact is nothing new for Stills, who was in the limelight the moment he stepped on OU's campus.

A highly touted receiver from California, Stills was the first true freshman coach Bob Stoops made available to the media in years.

His off-the-field antics created a buzz. On the field, Stills was an instant starter. He established freshmen school receiving records for receptions (61) and receiving yards (786). Stills finished his career fourth in school history for receptions (204), third in receiving yards.

http://newsok.com/pro-football-kenny-stills-proving-he-belongs-in-the-nfl/article/3872463
Rookie wide out Kenny Stills caught four passes for 64 yards, including a couple difficult catches along the sideline, one of them for a touchdown to make a strong case to be the team's third wide receiver on the depth chart.

With Joe Morgan out for the season, Stills will likely be the Saints deep threat heading into the regular season. Considering how much Drew Brees spreads the ball around, Stills fantasy upside is limited, but still worth adding at the end of fantasy drafts in the upcoming weeks.

http://www.rotoinfo.com/playerupdate/203051/Kenny--Stills-WR/
I am a bit slow here. You likely should have picked this guy up right after the Morgan injury. I just got around to looking at what he has been up to. Looks promising.

The biggest "knock" on Stills was that he was a "raw" prospect who might need time to develop. But the Saints are clearly willing to see if they can speed up that timetable.

I still think Stills' biggest competition will come from newly-signed veteran Steve Breaston, who played sparingly Friday because he's so new to the team. Or from other veterans who might come free on the free agent market this month (a group that could possibly include former Saints Devery Henderson and Robert Meachem).

...I am a bit slow here. You likely should have picked this guy up right after the Morgan injury. I just got around to looking at what he has been up to. Looks promising.
I wondered about that too; Morgan got hurt and in came not only Breaston but Patrick Crayton. They also brought in Laurent Robinson and Chaz Schillens. So what was that about?

Breaston has played on special teams, punt returns mostly. Maybe they were brought in as insurance in case Stills did not work out, but the Saint already had another 4 WRs who were competing (besides Stills/Toon/Parker). But what was clear was that rather than give up on the role the Saints had created for Morgan they just seem to be plugging Stills right in.

Considering that Morgan had issues with catching and route running on short and intermediate routes, I'd say Stills is looking even better.

ETA - Breaston and Crayton were cut today, so I guess that was just due diligence in case Stills did not work out or in case there were more injuries.

Looking to get some updated opinions on this. My read on the situation is that Still is filling that Devery Henderson role as the speed WR to stretch the field. Toon looks to be more in line for work behind Colston and/or Moore should injuries strike, but may also have a shot in 3- or 4-wide sets.

I must admit, I missed how big and fast Toon is, or how productive he was in college (plus RotoViz is super high on the kid, for those that appreciate their analysis). Brees is on record as saying Toon reminds him of Vincent Jackson. Plus with Colston continuing to battle this mysterious foot injury (which I've not been able to find any actual details on in cursory Google searches), it's possble both of these guys are really valuable.

In dynasty, I want the guy with the potential to play a bigger role in the offense over the long haul. IMO that's Toon with Stills filling that Henderson/Moore role and Toon eventually stepping in for Colston.

What say you?

Looking to get some updated opinions on this. My read on the situation is that Still is filling that Devery Henderson role as the speed WR to stretch the field. Toon looks to be more in line for work behind Colston and/or Moore should injuries strike, but may also have a shot in 3- or 4-wide sets.

I must admit, I missed how big and fast Toon is, or how productive he was in college (plus RotoViz is super high on the kid, for those that appreciate their analysis). Brees is on record as saying Toon reminds him of Vincent Jackson. Plus with Colston continuing to battle this mysterious foot injury (which I've not been able to find any actual details on in cursory Google searches), it's possble both of these guys are really valuable.

In dynasty, I want the guy with the potential to play a bigger role in the offense over the long haul. IMO that's Toon with Stills filling that Henderson/Moore role and Toon eventually stepping in for Colston.

What say you?
WR1s, down the road, look like Toon. Not Stills.

It's not the final word, at all, but in general, yeah, grab the big dude.

What say you?
I like Toon and got him cheap in a couple dynasties a few months back. Physically, he fits the mold of a #1 target. Whether or not he actually has that kind of talent is up for debate, but even a merely solid starter in a great offense can have big FF value (see: Eric Decker). If any of NO's young WRs are going to become standout FF players, my money is on him. Stills seems like more of a low volume big play threat who won't ever catch enough passes or be consistent enough to crack a good FF team's starting lineup.

I think you guys are going to see some Kenny Stills highlights this year.

In 2 NO leagues Stills has been drafted, with grunts from those who missed, Toon has not, probably on the idea that Colston and Moore will be playing and fine and Stills is clearly part of the 3 wide plan and they're excited about him.

This preseason it was all Stills and Toon. But I wouldn't think about this like it was Henderson and Meachem.

Toon's an add in dynasty. I think he will get into the gameplan this year regardless, and he may have a couple good games, but as with all Saints RBs/WRs/TEs besides Graham who knows who when, and that's the idea.

A lot of it is up to Brees and I think he already has more trust and desire to go to Stills than he did Morgan, Henderson and even Meachem. It's also clear Payton will be going deep with agression again, that should be Stills' forte but it remains to be seen if Toon will be part of that (but he has shown he can go deep).

Stills will probably see more action as the speed guy if everyone is healthy. Everything I have read says that Toon is the guy who will fill Colston's role if he gets hurt.

Not sure who gets more time if Moore gets hurt.

I picked Toon ahead of Stills in my dynasty startup. Toon is a better all around receiver and is a great Colston comp. Stills is the Henderson role maybe permanently. You may never be able to play Stills as anything but a flex. If your throwing darts at players in the 14th round if a dynasty startup, you should be looking for Colston instead of Flex players IMO.

Chickensoup, is this schtick or did you not read Toon was cut today?

ETA: My bad, different player, Tim Toone, also a WR for the Saints

At first glance Toon seems like a good buy for Dynasty with Colston getting up there in age and I don't know what his contract situation is. But then Brees is 34 this year, would you cut the dynasty value of Saints receivers because of this?

Was just thinking this today. I like both but if I had to choose I'd go with Toon. Just a gut call.

Lots of good information in here. I like Toon and his measurables. I think he is decent when I watch him, but nothing that jumps out at me. Stills on the other hand has made me stop the recording and go back a couple of times in preseason. Hard to get too excited from preseason, but sometimes when you watch a player, they just show you something more than how fast they ran the 40 or how much they press. I think Stills is going to surprise some people.

Stills I think will play now when they go 3 wide ala Devery Henderson in recent years, Toon profiles as Colston's replacement if/when he goes down.

Stills is a more intriguing prospect to me.

I mostly think Toon's value comes in dynasty a d has a higher ceiling. It's not a knock on Stills necessarily, because I think he is a fantastic receiver. You just may never be able to count on him as more than a bye week flex option in deep leagues this year. It's all about his usage, which will be deep balls. Hard to count on that kind of thing happening on the week you need to start him

I took a flyer on Stills in the 18th round tonight and got an "FU" thrown my way so that makes me happy about the pick.

As far as if Colston/Moore go down and Toon would see more time, while that is true, Stills looks like he'll see more time to begin with. If the WR1 or WR2 go down, I dont see a reason why Stills wouldnt be leaned on even more despite Toon getting more snaps if that were to happen.

I took a flyer on Stills in the 18th round tonight and got an "FU" thrown my way so that makes me happy about the pick.

As far as if Colston/Moore go down and Toon would see more time, while that is true, Stills looks like he'll see more time to begin with. If the WR1 or WR2 go down, I dont see a reason why Stills wouldnt be leaned on even more despite Toon getting more snaps if that were to happen.
If I'm looking for equivalents, I see Stills as the Devery Henderson while Toon is the Robert Meachem. Henderson was the homerun hitter and lined up in most of the 3WR sets but Meachem got production when Colston was out for periods. I don't see Colston surviving the season intact. That's why I'm a little higher on Toon.

If I'm looking for equivalents, I see Stills as the Devery Henderson while Toon is the Robert Meachem. Henderson was the homerun hitter and lined up in most of the 3WR sets but Meachem got production when Colston was out for periods. I don't see Colston surviving the season intact. That's why I'm a little higher on Toon.
Seemed like to me Devery and Meachem had the same role for NO, it just depended on the year, who may have been hurt, or even whatever game, etc.

Im not putting much in either guys basket, obviously, but as others have said in here more than likely the best answer is who knows and even by week 6 that may still be the best answer.

massraider said:
WR1s, down the road, look like Toon. Not Stills.

It's not the final word, at all, but in general, yeah, grab the big dude.
Said the Ramses Barden owner to the Victor Cruz owner

I think Stills has the quicks to potentially develop into Moore like intermediate consistency.

Question is, can he ever develop the physical strength to beat the jam? seems doubtful

Seems like a guy that could easily be taken out with bracket coverage. But in that offense, can you ever bracket coverage him?

if i had to guess then i would put Stills is in the Devery role. he has the speed to be the same kind of downfield threat that Henderson used to make a living at. the difference, i think, is that Stills looks like he can catch. if he has a decent football IQ and the ability to earn Brees' trust then he could be very valuable.

Toon is not filling that Meachem role because that's the very same one that Henderson had. Meach was another speed merchant. i don't know what Toon's role is yet.

Germane to this discussion, can anyone comment on exactly what Colston's injury even is? It's one of the quitest injury absences I've seen this preseason, but IMO one of the most significant as well. From what I can tell, he's not practicing more than maybe a day or two in a row without having to take another day or two off. He's also yet to appear in a preseason game.

Given that he's 30 and dealing with this mysterious foot thing, I believe I lean Toon myself. IMO he's got the best combination of possession skills with ability to go down the field. Stills, to me, seems to be the deep threat guy that could certainly develop into more, but Toon is the guy running in Colston's spot when Colston hasn't played. That's the guy I want in this offense and in dynasty.

ETA - I think it's about your expectations as well. I don't expect to need to play either one of these guys unless catastrophic injuries occur to my team. I'm interested in the higher long-term ceiling. Which guy's got the best shot of being a WR1 down the road. IMO that's Toon, though I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see Stills outproduce him this season, especially if Colston manages to play 16 games.

My question is, how long are you willing to wait,for one of these guys to take over?

Colston and Moore are 30, is that correct? Well, 30 is old, but it's not running back old. Colston, the type of player he is, could rattle around there for 3 more years, at least. Moore for 2 more, no problem. Graham is there, a target monster.

Now, they are WRs for New Orleans, so they cannot be ignored, but unless one of them is truly special, I have to feel like Brees is going to want to continue leaning on the guys he trusts.

Based on how he's looked in the pre-season I think Stills is the obvious guy you'd rather have. I see him as among the most added guys after the first few weeks of the season.

My question is, how long are you willing to wait,for one of these guys to take over?

Colston and Moore are 30, is that correct? Well, 30 is old, but it's not running back old. Colston, the type of player he is, could rattle around there for 3 more years, at least. Moore for 2 more, no problem. Graham is there, a target monster.

Now, they are WRs for New Orleans, so they cannot be ignored, but unless one of them is truly special, I have to feel like Brees is going to want to continue leaning on the guys he trusts.
from the little I saw, it seems like he (Brees) had some trust in Stills and has had some nice things to say about him. Granted, it is pre-season and Colston was out, but I think both Toon and Stills are decent dynasty prospects, especially in this offense and with Brees as the QB. I'm willing to wait and see if anything happens, one of these guys are an injury away from a possible big role. Stills was a guy I wanted to to keep an eye on once he was drafted to the Saints, and I like what I saw this pre season.

Flashback to Giants 2010

Steve Smith was 25 and coming off a 1220/7 year

Hakeem Nicks 22 and put up 1050/11

27 yearold Manningham put up 1000/9

Boss wouldn't go away, Barden the project was there too

or Flashback to Cowboys 2008

Witten was 26, Williams was 28 and just traded for

There are lots of reasons to talk yourself out of a situation... I go with the KISS approach. I like the talent and I like the HOF QB in a historically great passing game.

This is one situation where league setup really makes the choice for you.

Traditional setup when you can get a one week fill-in off the waiver wire at WR I'd want Toon because his ceiling is higher if he gets opportunity due to injuries. Best ball setup or very deep leagues where there is nothing at WR on the waiver wire I take Stills because he will have production, but much like Henderson/Meach it's really tough to predict just which games he'll catch those deep passes for a TD or two. That role in the offense is so up and down it would be touch for me to start Stills as anything more than a bye week fill-in so chances are pretty good he'd be sitting on my bench when he does have his random big games. At least with Toon he'd only be in my lineup if there were injuries and his role would be greatly expanded so you'd benefit from a higher percentage of his production.

Flashback to Giants 2010

Steve Smith was 25 and coming off a 1220/7 year

Hakeem Nicks 22 and put up 1050/11

27 yearold Manningham put up 1000/9

Boss wouldn't go away, Barden the project was there too

or Flashback to Cowboys 2008

Witten was 26, Williams was 28 and just traded for

There are lots of reasons to talk yourself out of a situation... I go with the KISS approach. I like the talent and I like the HOF QB in a historically great passing game.
One or two examples doesn't make a game plan.

Colston's contract is fully guaranteed for 2012 and 2013. Partially guaranteed for 2014 and nothing beyond that. I'm not an expert on cap science, but it seems like the Saints would be able to get away from him cheaply in a couple years if he's no longer worth his salary.

Of course, they could draft more WRs between now and then. There's also the issue of how long Brees can play at an elite level. He's not a young guy at this point. Even if someone like Toon or Stills becomes a starter here within a year or two, he's not going to have a decade catching passes from Brees.

I don't know if people believe in WR handcuffs, but you could probably do pretty well with Colston/Toon, and (maybe earlier when cheaper...) Amendola/Thompkins is probably another one.

Toon. He is just more dynamic and has serious up side. Stills is a low floor, low ceiling. I am grabbing Toon in all my Dynasty leagues

I own both in dynasty. Toon just seems like a guy to me. Stills is the more dynamic talent.

different strokes...

Toon. He is just more dynamic and has serious up side. Stills is a low floor, low ceiling.
I disagree with the bolded. If you take into account when he's being drafted he has a higher floor than most but the problem is it's a complete guess when that production will come. I do agree that his role in the offense hasn't demonstrated a very high ceiling.

Kenny Stills, no question. Toon plays the same position in this offense as Colston. So, unless Colston goes down (which is obviously a possibility,) Stills has much more upside if only because he will be on the field more often.

Users who are viewing this thread