Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Arid Filch

Chris Christie for President 2016 +1,200

Christie would most likely be a disaster but considering the job that Obama & GWB has done he will fit right in.

This is a great posting.

Chris Christie isn't fooling anyone who is center to right. His torpedoing of the Romney campaign just weeks before the election shows where his true feelings are.

If you want 8 more years of Obama, here's your guy.

Nope.

He'd bring about more hope and real change than Obama ever did.

Obama may have actually been a decent president if he had better leadership abilities and took responsiblilty for things rather than being snarky and blaming everyone else.. Christie seems to have leadersip ability, politics be damned

Exactly. Despite my longstanding ties to the right. I just want a strong political leader from either party who can get things accomplished in Washington.

Why do I take it as a positive that the GOP :hophead: machine doesn't want him running?? I know very little about the guy, but that's an interesting sign.

Edited by The Commish

Chris Christie isn't fooling anyone who is center to right. His torpedoing of the Romney campaign just weeks before the election shows where his true feelings are.

Nope.

Obama may have actually been a decent president if he had better leadership abilities and took responsiblilty for things rather than being snarky and blaming everyone else.. Christie seems to have leadersip ability, politics be damned

You think Christie would get anything done if the Senate immediately decided to opposed everything Christie supports the day he is inaugurated?

Nope.

You think Christie would get anything done if the Senate immediately decided to opposed everything Christie supports the day he is inaugurated?

depends on the atitude Christie comes in with.. if its "I won get over it" then no

Just what we need, a Jabba the Hutt clone from one of the most overpopulated, corrupt, and indebted blue states in the union. Perfect.

We might as well nominate "The Situation".

Edited by TPW

Might be the best President we've had in 50 years if he gets elected. Count me in.

Better than any Cruz type tea party alternative and all u see on the left us Hillary so possibly IN as the first Republican candidate for POTUS to ever earn my vote. A long ways out though so we'll see.

Nope.

depends on the atitude Christie comes in with.. if its "I won get over it" then no

So it's Obama's attitude that caused the House to oppose his every move the last 5 years, and not his policy positions?

Nope.

So it's Obama's attitude that caused the House to oppose his every move the last 5 years, and not his policy positions?

certainly didn't help..

I wanted 8 more years of George W. Bush, and I got them in Obama. So you're saying we'd get another 8 more years? Win-win-win.

• Like 1

Nope.

It was a combination of both. Aren't you one of the guys that says that Obamacare was actually a Republican idea? Then how come not one Republican voted for it?

I say with no reservation that if he hadn't been so ham handed about the whole thing, the ACA would have had (at the very least) mild Republican support. But he knew he had enough votes to push through anything he wanted, so he told Republicans to go pound sand when it came time to actually negotiate.

Without Obama's obstinate attitude (IMO), there is no Republican tidal wave in 2010, and to a lesser extent there would be no Tea Party. The thuggery and arrogance of Obama led to Republicans taking the house in 2010, putting them in charge of redistricting. For that, I thank him immensely.

Just what we need, a Jabba the Hutt clone from one of the most overpopulated, corrupt, and indebted blue states in the union. Perfect.

We might as well nominate "The Situation".

Oh yeah, well..... double dumb ### on you!

Hillary will be 68 by the time 2016 comes around. I don't see it.

If she's running against Christie from an acturarial standpoint she's probably far more likely to live through two terms.

• Like 1

The other thing is Christie presents as a more reasonable type of Republican but policy wise there isn't much light between him and your garden variety tea partier.

The election process is a crucible and that bombastic style might float in state level politics but it will wear extremely thin over the 18-24 months of actual campaigning. Thin line between straight talker and good old fashioned #####.

Hopefully Obama will chum the waters ahead of 2015 to make sure the yokels are stirred into a frenzy for the Republican primaries and Christie will be DOA early in the cycle. He's the only guy that has a shot at the Dem IMO.

Hillary's a stronger candidate than she was in 2008, but there's still a lot of room on the left for someone to do the same thing Obama did. Someone like Warren could be an especially tough opponent.

Warren will not run

Nope.

I know he's your guy and all, but come on dude. He's shown his true colors.

I was a HUGE fan of his when he was taking it to the unions. I live for that kind of confrontation. But compare what he's done and how he's done it to Republican governors such as Scott Walker and Bobby Jindal.

His boot licking of Obama, when Obama had done NOTHING to deserve it, was a real downer.

Make the Democrats day and run one of those two.

Wait....this can happen? I'm told only the GOP can do this kind of stuff. Right now, and most probably when he took office the Senate would be D - majority.

The problem Christie has is he is thin skinned with anger management issues. You start yelling at the national media on the trail and you are done. You start yelling at some voter you disagree with on video and you are done. That bombastic thin skinned crap may play in Jersey but no one else is impressed. Not when the guy wants to be president.

Edited by NCCommish

The problem Christie has is he is thin skinned with anger management issues. You start yelling at the national media on the trail and you are done. You start yelling at some voter you disagree with on video and you are done. That bombastic thin skinned crap may play in Jersey but no one else is impressed. Not when the guy wants to be president.

Maybe. I don't take it as thin skinned though. Like his yelling at the guy from the Star Ledger about, you should see me when I'm really pissed. That wasn't thin skinned. That was, stop asking stupid questions. Granted, as a Presidential candidate you don't get to say that too many questions are stupid.

Who knows. I've rsigned myself to the fact that he can't be governor here forever.

Man...I'd love to see a POTUS be pissed off. That'd be great.

I might be tempted to vote for Christie if he can manage to get the Republican nomination.

After getting through what I'd call stage 1 of healthcare reform with ACA, the next biggest issue on the table is a major overhaul of our tax system. I think we're likely to get a better outcome with a Republican in the White House, and I'd much rather have a social moderate like Christie be the one driving it.

Mythical reasons for losses are how the next losing campaign is constructed. Romney never was ahead of Obama after the circus-like atmosphere of the Republican primaries. Which is why Preibus would love to get those whittled down considerably.

Maybe. I don't take it as thin skinned though. Like his yelling at the guy from the Star Ledger about, you should see me when I'm really pissed. That wasn't thin skinned. That was, stop asking stupid questions. Granted, as a Presidential candidate you don't get to say that too many questions are stupid.

Who knows. I've rsigned myself to the fact that he can't be governor here forever.

To be clear I don't hate Christie. Obviously we have policy differences but I don't think he is an empty suit. I think he is fairly moderate and I don't think he will cave to the far right in general. And I don't think his weight is the issue people make it out to be. I just think he is going to have a hell of a time running as the guy he is and winning the nomination. The GOP is broken. We all knew the drill. You run to the right a bit to secure the nom and then you coast back to the center for the general. Well you can't do that now. Fox won't let you. Jim Demint won't let you. If Christie did run and win the nom it would be due to a Clintonesque repositioning of the GOP. Not sure the party has been hurt enough yet for that.

To be clear I don't hate Christie. Obviously we have policy differences but I don't think he is an empty suit. I think he is fairly moderate and I don't think he will cave to the far right in general. And I don't think his weight is the issue people make it out to be. I just think he is going to have a hell of a time running as the guy he is and winning the nomination. The GOP is broken. We all knew the drill. You run to the right a bit to secure the nom and then you coast back to the center for the general. Well you can't do that now. Fox won't let you. Jim Demint won't let you. If Christie did run and win the nom it would be due to a Clintonesque repositioning of the GOP. Not sure the party has been hurt enough yet for that.

I think you are right. But I also think that he is just the type of person who can do that. It needs to be someone with a strong personality who already has somewhat of a national voice.

And let's not forget or downplay the role he did play in the last election. For all the stupid talk about him tanking Romney, which isn't worth a reply, what he did do last cycle was build a fundraising base across the nation for his own campaign under the guise of working for Romney. He's a republican governor of a blue state. He can stand toe to toe with anyone on the floor live and on his feet and do it "without a teleprompter," He has the type of style and personality in those terms that could very much reorder the GOP.

Maybe the hard right breaks away. Maybe not. Enough of them have to be smart enough to know that by doing that they will never win another national election again. Maybe not. Who the hell knows.

He is the ONLY Republican with a shot of winning. Naturally the Tea Party types hate him because he's (1) not crazy (2) believes in treating Obama and the Democrats with respect and civility. He's the closest thing we have to Alan Alda's character from The West Wing.

Personally I'd prefer Huntsman, but he has no shot. So I'll gladly vote for Christie if given the chance.

I think you are right. But I also think that he is just the type of person who can do that. It needs to be someone with a strong personality who already has somewhat of a national voice.

And let's not forget or downplay the role he did play in the last election. For all the stupid talk about him tanking Romney, which isn't worth a reply, what he did do last cycle was build a fundraising base across the nation for his own campaign under the guise of working for Romney. He's a republican governor of a blue state. He can stand toe to toe with anyone on the floor live and on his feet and do it "without a teleprompter," He has the type of style and personality in those terms that could very much reorder the GOP.

Maybe the hard right breaks away. Maybe not. Enough of them have to be smart enough to know that by doing that they will never win another national election again. Maybe not. Who the hell knows.

I think they care more about purity than winning. You see that reflected in doing things like challenging McConnell from his right. Can you imagine the old GOP allowing someone to take a safe seat, of the minority leader no less, and risk it claiming he isn't pure enough? They think they are revolutionaries when all they really are is a rump minority.

He is the ONLY Republican with a shot of winning. Naturally the Tea Party types hate him because he's (1) not crazy (2) believes in treating Obama and the Democrats with respect and civility. He's the closest thing we have to Alan Alda's character from The West Wing.

Personally I'd prefer Huntsman, but he has no shot. So I'll gladly vote for Christie if given the chance.

I'd really like to see Huntsman run again. And a Christie/Huntsman ticket would be pretty intriguing.

I'd really like to see Huntsman run again. And a Christie/Huntsman ticket would be pretty intriguing.

I think Christie ought to throw the VP slot to Hilary just to mess with people.

I think Christie ought to throw the VP slot to Hilary just to mess with people.

Pundit world would explode.

That would be........ interesting.

Why? So they can roll back as much of the progress that we've made socially and economically these last few years?

We can all agree that Christie and Huntsman are head and shoulders above the Paul, Cruz, Palin, Huckabee freaks who are current Republican heroes. But their campaigns will look very much like Romney's did in 2012, because although they are more reasonable in their tactics, in large part the Christies and Huntsmans agree with the Cruzes, Palins, and Pauls from a political philosophical standpoint.

This country needs a President that is liked by both sides. They don't need to love the guy, just respect him. I think Christie is a great choice. We'll never get out of this funk unless we stop electing polarizing people, IMO.

Which means he has no chance whatsoever. Like us or not, you need us to salvage that crapfest you call a party. So you're doomed.

As a conservative who always votes, sitting out the election isn't enough to send a message if the republicans are dumb enough to nominate Christie. Voting for Hillary, multiple times if possible, will be necessary.

As a conservative who always votes, sitting out the election isn't enough to send a message if the republicans are dumb enough to nominate Christie. Voting for Hillary, multiple times if possible, will be necessary.

In.

This country needs a President that is liked by both sides. They don't need to love the guy, just respect him. I think Christie is a great choice. We'll never get out of this funk unless we stop electing polarizing people, IMO.

agree with this.

When New Jersey was hurting from sandy he gave Obama the credit he deserved politics be damned because he was fighting for the people he governed.

Laughable that republicans in this thread slam Christie for that.

Republicans can either nominate Christie and win, or not and lose. That's the choice.

Dang....kiss of death right here. ;)

Why? So they can roll back as much of the progress that we've made socially and economically these last few years?

We can all agree that Christie and Huntsman are head and shoulders above the Paul, Cruz, Palin, Huckabee freaks who are current Republican heroes. But their campaigns will look very much like Romney's did in 2012, because although they are more reasonable in their tactics, in large part the Christies and Huntsmans agree with the Cruzes, Palins, and Pauls from a political philosophical standpoint.

:lmao:

Republicans can either nominate Christie and win, or not and lose. That's the choice.

We're three years out. If the election were tomorrow, I'd agree. A lot can change in three years.

In.

That'll learn 'em!

Dang....kiss of death right here. ;)

He'll probably flip midway through the election over some meaningless issue. But Christie still won't win.

Huntsman spent most of his campaign pushing back against those people. They all call him a RINO.

*I really think Christie's personality has the potential to play well in a general election...I think a lot of people are looking for someone who will tell it like it is and tell someone to screw when appropriate...he can't turn himself into a caricature or be pre-mediated in his behavior but I really believe many Republicans are looking for a candidate/leader that is tough...I think that is part of the appeal of Ted Cruz to some on the right (or it was)...believe in him or not he is showing balls...the one bump Romney got was the first debate when he was aggressive...that was one of the few times he had a buzz during the campaign...to often grassroots Republicans feel their candidates act like ####### and they want to see them go toe-to-toe with someone like Chris Mathews or George Stephanopolous...Christie has that potential and it could win over some who are not on the same page with some of his politics...

*It will be real interesting to see dems attack Christie...like Romney and McCain prior to being actual nominees you hear/read dems saying Christie is a candidate they would consider...I think this is BS...when push comes to shove I fully expect them to attempt to paint him as a right-wing extremist...it's the left's playbook and I don't see it changing regardless of who the candidate is...it will also be interesting to see the PC crowd take a shot at his appearance...

*Hillary has one big problem...she is very unlikable when you get her in large doses...I truly believe the thought of Hillary is what some people like...when she is in the background she is seen as this larger-than-life figure (why, I do not know)...yet, I just don't see her playing well in a general election being in the public eye on a daily basis...that will not be her strength...a likeable Obama came out of nowhere to beat her in 2008 and I see her being very vulnerable should the GOP have a quality candidate...the big if is having a quality candidate...

Edited by Boston

*I really think Christie's personality has the potential to play well in a general election...I think a lot of people are looking for someone who will tell it like it is and tell someone to screw when appropriate...he can't turn himself into a caricature or be pre-mediated in his behavior but I really believe many Republicans are looking for a candidate/leader that is tough...I think that is part of the appeal of Ted Cruz to some on the right (or it was)...believe in him or not he is showing balls...the one bump Romney got was the first debate when he was aggressive...that was one of the few times he had a buzz during the campaign...to often grassroots Republicans feel their candidates act like ####### and they want to see them go toe-to-toe with someone like Chris Mathews or George Stephanopolous...Christie has that potential and it could win over some who are not on the same page with some of his politics...

*It will be real interesting to see dems attack Christie...like Romney and McCain prior to being actual nominees you hear/read dems saying Christie is a candidate they would consider...I think this is BS...when push comes to shove I fully expect them to attempt to paint him as a right-wing extremist...it's the left's playbook and I don't see it changing regardless of who the candidate is...it will also be interesting to see the PC crowd take a shot at his appearance...

*Hillary has one big problem...she is very unlikable when you get her in large doses...I truly believe the thought of Hillary is what some people like...when she is in the background she is seen as this larger-than-life figure (why, I do not know)...yet, I just don't see her playing well in a general election being in the public eye on a daily basis...that will not be her strength...a likeable Obama came out of nowhere to beat her in 2008 and I see her being very vulnerable should the GOP have a quality candidate...the big if is having a quality candidate...

Did this actually happen? I think in both cases it was pointed out that they had switched to a more conservative position on a few key issues, from where they had been on record previously. It was also heavily pointed out that their economic policies were basically indistinguishable from GWB. I don't recall there being much right-wing extremist talk about either though.

Edited by Arsenal of Doom

agree with this.

When New Jersey was hurting from sandy he gave Obama the credit he deserved politics be damned because he was fighting for the people he governed.

Laughable that republicans in this thread slam Christie for that.

While true, had Sandy missed NJ and instead decimated Rhode Island, you wouldn't have heard anything from Christie about Obama doing a good job. Christie needed help - to his credit he asked for it.