Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Arid Filch

Chris Christie for President 2016 +1,200

Oh and the last person I want in the White House for the Democrats is Hillary. I have been tired of the Clintons for over a decade. But if it was no big deal that McCain was going to be in his mid 70's it shouldn't be a big deal if Hillary is.

The funny thing is that Mitt Romney is about 4 months older than Hillary. If he had won in 2012, he would be seeking reelection in 2016 as a 69 year old (same as Hillary) but you can bet that his supporters would have laughed at the idea if it was suggested that he would be too old to be President.

This is funny why?

Probably because Mitt's age would be irrelevant or a non-issue to them.

Kind of how Christie's weight (or this bridge thing, or anything else negative) would be irrelevant or a non-issue to you if he had a D next to his name?

I wonder if Rand Paul will bring up the idea of Christie being in charge of the CIA and FBI and NSA...

-QG

Oh and the last person I want in the White House for the Democrats is Hillary. I have been tired of the Clintons for over a decade. But if it was no big deal that McCain was going to be in his mid 70's it shouldn't be a big deal if Hillary is.

The funny thing is that Mitt Romney is about 4 months older than Hillary. If he had won in 2012, he would be seeking reelection in 2016 as a 69 year old (same as Hillary) but you can bet that his supporters would have laughed at the idea if it was suggested that he would be too old to be President.

This is funny why?

Kind of how Christie's weight (or this bridge thing, or anything else negative) would be irrelevant or a non-issue to you if he had a D next to his name?

Not true, I am a registered Democrat and have voted against Dianne Feinstein for every public office she has run for. I never liked her on a personal level after the dirty campaign she ran against John Van de Kamp. So having a D next to name does not automatically get my vote.

And I was talking about hypocrisy. You can't point to age being an disqualifier after you have (and would have) supported a candidate who is the same age or older. Either be consistent about it or don't raise the issue.

Edited by squistion

Does anyone else think this isn't that big of a deal?

you don't think its a big deal that a governors office causes significant traffic problems in a city because the mayor didn't endorse the governor for an election?

Nope. I don't see traffic issues as something that is a major scandal.
Because nobody you care about was in an ambulance during this politically manufactured delay I guess.

-QG

What about all of the criminals that were on their way to commit crimes but didn't because they were stuck in traffic?

Probably hung out in Fort Lee and did stuff there - seeing as the cops were needed to direct traffic for this politically manufactured unnecessary scheme.

-QG

This is funny why?

Not true, I am a registered Democrat and have voted against Dianne Feinstein for every public office she has run for. I never liked her on a personal level after the dirty campaign she ran against John Van de Kamp. So having a D next to name does not automatically get my vote.

And I was talking about hypocrisy. You can't point to age being an disqualifier after you have (and would have) supported a candidate who is the same age or older. Either be consistent about it or don't raise the issue.

I meant the "collective" you. Like I said, the vast majority of political hacks on both sides are massive hypocrites, nothing surprising (nor funny IMO) there.

Christie fires up the bus to toss someone under:

"What I've seen today for the first time is unacceptable. I am outraged and deeply saddened to learn that not only was I misled by a member of my staff, but this completely inappropriate and unsanctioned conduct was made without my knowledge. One thing is clear: this type of behavior is unacceptable, and I will not tolerate it because the people of New Jersey deserve better. This behavior is not representative of me or my Administration in any way, and people will be held responsible for their actions."

link

A 70 year old woman is the absolute last thing we need running the country right now.

Why?

I heard their menstruation attracts bears.

• Like 1

Apparently Christie loves his big entourage and has been accused of misappropriation of funds for lavish travel expenses. I was reading an article on Romney picking a vice president and it was really not very complementary from the Romney staffer perspective. Apparently Christie had them clear every detail of Romney's trips to NJ with tons of restrictions, and then Christie was showing up an hour late to the fundraisers he was supposed to speak at. :lmao:

I just finished "Double Down," the account of the 2012 election by the same guys who wrote "Game Change" about 2008. Both are excellent, excellent gossip-filled accounts of the elections, if that kind of stuff interests you.

They have much the same stuff about Christie that you mention above. He wouldn't give approval to any of the Republican candidates fund raise from his New Jersey donors until he decided who to endorse - and they all obeyed because they didn't want to cross him. All the while, he was contemplating his own run.

Then, when Romney was considering him for VP, he wouldn't fully disclose everything they asked. There was a report that identified him as the most over-spending US Attorney in the country, always staying at luxury hotels. He also wouldn't come clean about his household help, about what he did as a securities lobbyist, about his brother's settlement of a case with the SEC, and wouldn't disclose his medical history. And then he bombed big-time at the Republican National Convention that year.

I really, really recommend both those books - I enjoyed them a great deal. It's hard to believe all the stuff that they got people to talk about.

"What I've seen today for the first time is unacceptable. I am outraged and deeply saddened to learn that not only was I misled by a member of my staff, but this completely inappropriate and unsanctioned conduct was made without my knowledge. One thing is clear: this type of behavior is unacceptable, and I will not tolerate it because the people of New Jersey deserve better. This behavior is not representative of me or my Administration in any way, and people will be held responsible for their actions."

link

Payoffs and NDAs coming...

link

I was duped!

link

Translation: I raise All-in

link

Christie pulling a page from the Obama "I knew nothing" play book. Nicely played.

link

I had a feeling he'd be outraged, but also "deeply saddened" shows just how much he cares.

Now I can vote for him with a clear conscience. :thumbup:

A 70 year old woman is the absolute last thing we need running the country right now.

Why?

Well, we won't have to worry about that with Hillary at age 70.

Why?

Well, we won't have to worry about that with Hillary at age 70.

yeah.. she hasn't dropped an egg since the HW Bush Administration

If this bridge thing is no big deal, why won't Christie just man up and take the blame? It was his administration, after all.

If this bridge thing is no big deal, why won't Christie just man up and take the blame? It was his administration, after all.

Because people are making it a big thing.

Plus, why are you assuming he's lying about not knowing?

link

Christie pulling a page from the Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Carter, Nixon, etc "I knew nothing" play book. Nicely played.

FTFY

I assumed he was lying since the day he said the growing scandal was nothing but political gamesmanship. This was after Wildstein and Baroni resigned.

Here's Christie on 01/02/14

If Christie is telling the truth, then he is a terrible exec that doesn't know what his staff was doing during a election year. If Christie was in the know, then that makes him a huge Richard Cranium.

Which is worse?

link

Christie pulling a page from the Obama "I knew nothing" play book. Nicely played.

It will only be nicely played if proof doesn't come out that he was actively involved in this or aware after the fact that a staffer was responsible. This tact didn't work out so well for Nixon (and it was the cover-up, not the crime that did him in).

link

There's nothing worse than bosses selling out an employee for personal gain.

Apparently Christie loves his big entourage and has been accused of misappropriation of funds for lavish travel expenses. I was reading an article on Romney picking a vice president and it was really not very complementary from the Romney staffer perspective. Apparently Christie had them clear every detail of Romney's trips to NJ with tons of restrictions, and then Christie was showing up an hour late to the fundraisers he was supposed to speak at. :lmao:

I just finished "Double Down," the account of the 2012 election by the same guys who wrote "Game Change" about 2008. Both are excellent, excellent gossip-filled accounts of the elections, if that kind of stuff interests you.

They have much the same stuff about Christie that you mention above. He wouldn't give approval to any of the Republican candidates fund raise from his New Jersey donors until he decided who to endorse - and they all obeyed because they didn't want to cross him. All the while, he was contemplating his own run.

Then, when Romney was considering him for VP, he wouldn't fully disclose everything they asked. There was a report that identified him as the most over-spending US Attorney in the country, always staying at luxury hotels. He also wouldn't come clean about his household help, about what he did as a securities lobbyist, about his brother's settlement of a case with the SEC, and wouldn't disclose his medical history. And then he bombed big-time at the Republican National Convention that year.

I really, really recommend both those books - I enjoyed them a great deal. It's hard to believe all the stuff that they got people to talk about.

Seems like that should have made Romney pick him. :)

I can't believe this is about a traffic jam.

It's not. It's about a petty little tyrant who is being caught using his political position to not only punish someone that he feels crossed him, but punish plenty of constituents in his state that are entirely innocent. And then lied about it.

• Like 4

GWB lane closures delayed EMS response to 4 calls in Fort Lee

Wednesday, January 8, 2014
BY LINH TAT
STAFF WRITER
The Record

FORT LEE – Emergency responders were delayed in attending to four medical situations – including one in which a 91-year-old woman lay unconscious – due to traffic gridlock caused by unannounced closures of access lanes to the George Washington Bridge, according to the head of the borough’s EMS department.

The woman later died, borough records show.

In at least two of those instances, response time doubled, noted EMS coordinator Paul Favia, who documented those cases in a Sept. 10 letter to Mayor Mark Sokolich, which The Record obtained.

On Sept. 9, the first day of the traffic paralysis, EMS crews took seven to nine minutes to arrive at the scene of a vehicle accident where four people were injured, when the response time should have been less than four minutes, he wrote.

It also took EMS seven minutes to reach an unconscious 91-year-old woman who later died of cardiac arrest at a hospital. Although he did not say her death was directly caused by the delays, Favia noted that “paramedics were delayed due to heavy traffic on Fort Lee Road and had to meet the ambulance en-route to the hospital instead of on the scene.”

Emergency responders also were late in getting to a third medical emergency that first morning of the lane closures. It took Favia nearly an hour to arrive at a building where a person was experiencing chest pains “due to standstill traffic on Route 46 East. The Mutual Aid ambulance coming from Palisades Park and paramedics coming out of Leonia were also delayed due to the excessive traffic,” he wrote.

Delays in emergency response times continued the next morning when a call that should have taken three or four minutes to respond to took seven, Favia wrote. In that instance, a man was experiencing chest pains.

Email: tat@northjersey.com

BY LINH TAT
STAFF WRITER
The Record

FORT LEE – Emergency responders were delayed in attending to four medical situations – including one in which a 91-year-old woman lay unconscious – due to traffic gridlock caused by unannounced closures of access lanes to the George Washington Bridge, according to the head of the borough’s EMS department.

In at least two of those instances, response time doubled, noted EMS coordinator Paul Favia, who documented those cases in a Sept. 10 letter to Mayor Mark Sokolich, which The Record obtained.

On Sept. 9, the first day of the traffic paralysis, EMS crews took seven to nine minutes to arrive at the scene of a vehicle accident where four people were injured, when the response time should have been less than four minutes, he wrote.

It also took EMS seven minutes to reach an unconscious 91-year-old woman who later died of cardiac arrest at a hospital. Although he did not say her death was directly caused by the delays, Favia noted that “paramedics were delayed due to heavy traffic on Fort Lee Road and had to meet the ambulance en-route to the hospital instead of on the scene.”

Emergency responders also were late in getting to a third medical emergency that first morning of the lane closures. It took Favia nearly an hour to arrive at a building where a person was experiencing chest pains “due to standstill traffic on Route 46 East. The Mutual Aid ambulance coming from Palisades Park and paramedics coming out of Leonia were also delayed due to the excessive traffic,” he wrote.

Delays in emergency response times continued the next morning when a call that should have taken three or four minutes to respond to took seven, Favia wrote. In that instance, a man was experiencing chest pains.

death panels

I assumed he was lying since the day he said the growing scandal was nothing but political gamesmanship. This was after Wildstein and Baroni resigned.

Here's Christie on 01/02/14

If Christie is telling the truth, then he is a terrible exec that doesn't know what his staff was doing during a election year. If Christie was in the know, then that makes him a huge Richard Cranium.

Which is worse?

I'm not sure Christie knew about this, nor do I believe he should have known.

• Like 1

From Michael Crowley at TIME:

Michael Crowley @CrowleyTIME 13m

It's Jan 2014. Christie can still flame out, storm back after midterms, blow the NH primary, then stage amazing Super Tuesday comeback.

I can't believe this is about a traffic jam.

It's not. It's about a petty little tyrant who is being caught using his political position to not only punish someone that he feels crossed him, but punish plenty of constituents in his state that are entirely innocent. And then lied about it.

Isn't this 50%+ of all politicians out there?

BY LINH TAT
STAFF WRITER
The Record

Uh oh.

This will not end well.

When people say "it's just a traffic jam", I get a feeling they don't understand the serious nature of manipulating an entity such as the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey for personal or political gain.

The Port Authority operates:
Port Newark-Elizabeth Marine Terminal (largest in Eastern Seaboard)
Holland Tunnel
Lincoln Tunnel
George Washington Bridge (bridge in question, connects New Jersey with Manhattan, the world's busiest motor vehicle bridge)
Port Authority Bus Terminal
PATH rail system
LaGuardia Airport
John F. Kennedy International Airport
Newark Liberty International Airport
Teterboro Airport
Stewart International Airport
Port Authority Police Department (1500+employees)
  • Like 1

Y23 - your thoughts?

Honestly haven't followed it that much but if he ordered it he should resign.

Well that's no fun.

Because Christie has a long, detailed history as a bully.

Michael Crowley ‏@CrowleyTIME 13m

It's Jan 2014. Christie can still flame out, storm back after midterms, blow the NH primary, then stage amazing Super Tuesday comeback.

This is my thinking as well. Why doesn't he just come clean? He can apoligize, deal with ramifications, and move on. Bury the thing. 2016 is a long way away.

Still think this won't really matter in the long run unless there's more to it, but Ezra Klein does have me wondering...

It's entirely possible that Christie didn't know very much about the bridge episode. It might just be the product of the culture he's created, or permitted, to arise around him. What's dangerous for Christie, though, is that now every political reporter in the country will begin believing rumors of his punishments and hunting down evidence of his retaliation.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 8, 2014 LAST UPDATED: WEDNESDAY JANUARY 8, 2014, 5:54 PM

BY MICHAEL PHILLIS

STATE HOUSE BUREAU

THE RECORD

David Wildstein, the executive at the center of the decision to close lanes at the entrance to the George Washington Bridge, filed a lawsuit in superior court today trying to quash the legislature’s subpoena of his testimony, according to a spokesperson for the court.

The lawsuit said the subpoena is invalid for a number of reasons. Wildstein’s lawyer, Alan Zegas, questioned the validity of Assemblyman John Wisniewski’s signature on the subpeona.

The lawsuit also questioned Wisniewski’s ability to issue a subpoena for investigative purposes and said he had a conflict of interest in the case because as a lawyer, Wisniewski, D-Middlesex, allegedly represented a firm with a financial stake in Port Authority business.

Wildstein has been subpoenaed to appear on Thursday before Wisniewski, and the Assembly transportation committee to answer questions about the lane closures.

Michael Crowley ‏@CrowleyTIME 13m

This is my thinking as well. Why doesn't he just come clean? He can apoligize, deal with ramifications, and move on. Bury the thing. 2016 is a long way away.

It's kinda hard to just say "I'm sorry" when a woman died.

BY MICHAEL PHILLIS
STATE HOUSE BUREAU
THE RECORD
David Wildstein, the executive at the center of the decision to close lanes at the entrance to the George Washington Bridge, filed a lawsuit in superior court today trying to quash the legislature’s subpoena of his testimony, according to a spokesperson for the court.
The lawsuit said the subpoena is invalid for a number of reasons. Wildstein’s lawyer, Alan Zegas, questioned the validity of Assemblyman John Wisniewski’s signature on the subpeona.

OTOH this sort of transparent stonewalling is not going to help.

Votes aren't cast for another 24 months. But staffers and fundraisers commit in the meantime. If they hold back that will be the tell on this, but it most of it won't be public.

When people say "it's just a traffic jam", I get a feeling they don't understand the serious nature of manipulating an entity such as the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey for personal or political gain.

Holland Tunnel

Lincoln Tunnel

George Washington Bridge (bridge in question, connects New Jersey with Manhattan, the world's busiest motor vehicle bridge)

PATH rail system

LaGuardia Airport

Teterboro Airport

TRAFFICGHAZI!!!!!!!!!

Holland Tunnel

Lincoln Tunnel

PATH rail system

LaGuardia Airport

Teterboro Airport

TRAFFICGHAZI!!!!!!!!!

Excellent scandal name!

BY LINH TAT
STAFF WRITER
The Record

Uh oh.

This will not end well.

Whoopsie!!

BY MICHAEL PHILLIS
STATE HOUSE BUREAU
THE RECORD

OTOH this sort of transparent stonewalling is not going to help.

I'm surprise they didn't claim that the subpoena was not in the long form.

• Like 1

link

Isn't that the Schultz Defense?

Edited by Lutherman2112