What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****Official Baltimore Ravens Thread***** (1 Viewer)

For those of us in IDP, who steps in at FS?

Elliott, Richards, Levine, or some free agent? Are any of the safeties other than Clark even rosterable in stepping in?
Of the roster Safeties, I think Elliot has the inside track as the season progresses, though Levine may be the safest play this close to the start of the season since he's been there 100 years. Long term, it's probably either Elliot or Geno Stone.

Another guy to keep in mind is Jimmy Smith, though it depends on how your league categorizes DBs as to how useful he'd be in any particular league. Smith is Baltimore's 4th or 5th best DB (all Pro Bowlers) and Martindale has built an amoeba defense where it doesn't really matter what a player's "position" is.

From a team perspective, this superficially hurts the Ravens D. Thomas is probably going to the Hall Of Fame and his presence back there caused a lot of teams to think twice about where to throw to. That said, he never really fit in last year and has apparently rubbed many other Ravens the wrong way . From what I've read and heard, the Ravens players wanted him gone.It must have been bad, as Baltimore has made tons of hay over the years bringing in strong, established personalities (Rod Woodson, Shannon Sharpe, Deion, Steve Smith, Samari Rolle, Daryl Smith, Derek Mason, et al...) - this year, it's Calais Campbell and Derek Wolfe.

Given good health, that defense is going to be filthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
So impressed that the Ravens cut Thomas loose when they determined that despite his high skill level, he was undermining what they're trying to build in Baltimore. They have an incredible team culture and it was the veteran leadership council that first came to the coaches and said it was time for Thomas to go. Contrast that with vets like Calais Campbell and Mark Ingram who have come to town and immediately started working to coach up the rookies that are eventually going to take their jobs.

That's why it's always been absurd to me that people think the Ravens are going to sign Antonio Brown. The Ray Rice situation was the low point of Bisciotti's time as owner, and he's never willingly going to get involved with a domestic abuser. Plus the team culture and emphasis on running means the last thing they want is a WR who will start barking at their young franchise QB the first time he doesn't get enough balls thrown his way.

JK Dobbins has been opening a lot of eyes in training camp, as has Hollywood Brown. I just hope they actually play a season this year, because this team is going to be so much fun to watch. 

:lol:

Is he a local comedian? He was a little too on-the-nose to sell it completely, but he hit pretty much every note Donnie from Dundalk would.
Not sure who he is. Amazingly, some people didn't comprehend it was satire - though to be honest, the grandmother's car was the only thing slightly over the top. The "purple shorts, I might add!" sent me

I'm thinking the Ravens will be a better team this year and will probably lose 3 or 4 more games than last season. Damned near everything went right during that 12 game winning streak and I could see them losing an extra game or two just by the universe balancing itself..

10-6 or 11-5 sounds about right to me, with a death-battle against the Stillers (& maybe the Browns!) for the division title.

Speaking of the Browns, they have had 9(!!!) head coaches since Harbaugh came to Baltimore.

Uruk-Hai said:
I'm thinking the Ravens will be a better team this year and will probably lose 3 or 4 more games than last season. Damned near everything went right during that 12 game winning streak and I could see them losing an extra game or two just by the universe balancing itself..

10-6 or 11-5 sounds about right to me, with a death-battle against the Stillers (& maybe the Browns!) for the division title.

Speaking of the Browns, they have had 9(!!!) head coaches since Harbaugh came to Baltimore.
Agree with all of this. My guess:

4-2 vs AFC North 
3-1 vs AFC South
3-1 vs NFC East
1-1 vs KC/NE

Looking for Lamar to audible more this year, which will make this team ridiculously hard to stop. Also think the D will get better as the season progresses and won’t be surprised to see them make some in-season acquisitions 

Should be a highly entertaining season if they stay healthy 

4-2 vs AFC North 
3-1 vs AFC South
3-1 vs NFC East
1-1 vs KC/NE

Looking for Lamar to audible more this year, which will make this team ridiculously hard to stop. Also think the D will get better as the season progresses and won’t be surprised to see them make some in-season acquisitions 

Hi. Eternally-Paranoid-About-The-O-Line caller here.

How much is Yanda's retirement going to hurt that group?

Hi. Eternally-Paranoid-About-The-O-Line caller here.

How much is Yanda's retirement going to hurt that group?
A lot, at first, I think. We don’t even know who the RG is yet. But the rookie Phillips seems to be very good. Won’t be surprised if interior O Line improves during the season as the rookie fits in and Skura recover from injury

4-2 vs AFC North 
3-1 vs AFC South
3-1 vs NFC East
1-1 vs KC/NE

I'm shooting from the hip here and am most probably in error, but I was thinking about all of the core (or at least rotational) offensive players Baltimore has on rookie contracts right now.

QB - Jackson

RB - Dobbins, Hill. I'm not sure about Edwards.

WR - Brown, Boykin, Devernay, Proche

TE - Andrews

OL - I think everyone except Fluker.

Boyle and Ricard have new contracts. Ingram, Snead, & Fluker were FA signings.

I think we might almost be at the point where teams try to play ball control and limit the chances for Baltimore’s offense to get on the field. How times have changed

Certain teams match up well vs others and it seems like Houston’s O Line struggles are a good match for the Ravens pressure schemes. If Watson doesn’t get time to throw, Baltimore’s outstanding DBs are very tough

I’ll predict Baltimore, 34-23 with the Ravens building a decent lead by middle of the 3rd quarter and Houston making it closer late 

I think we might almost be at the point where teams try to play ball control and limit the chances for Baltimore’s offense to get on the field. How times have changed

Certain teams match up well vs others and it seems like Houston’s O Line struggles are a good match for the Ravens pressure schemes. If Watson doesn’t get time to throw, Baltimore’s outstanding DBs are very tough

I’ll predict Baltimore, 34-23 with the Ravens building a decent lead by middle of the 3rd quarter and Houston making it closer late 
This is why Baltimore's run D has to gel quickly. I'm not so much worried about the line because they are vets, but those LBs have to put RBs on the ground if they break through.

On the other side, I'm thinking the Ravens get their run game going today. Cleveland sold out to stop the run last week and Jackson picked them apart through the air. I look for a 180-200 yd rushing performance.

27-13 Baltimore

The Ravens haven’t lost a regular season game since September 29, 2019. During that streak, they’ve outscored opponents 434-188.

In other words, they’ve won 13 straight games by an average score of 33-14. Actually should have made that my score prediction, but I'll stick with the original.

How do you guys see the rb situation shaking out?

last week dobbins seemed like more of the prime target.  Is it possible that the ravens were treating it a little like a preseason game and wanted to see what they add?  Or will dobbins supplant Ingram as the main option like now?

How do you guys see the rb situation shaking out?

last week dobbins seemed like more of the prime target.  Is it possible that the ravens were treating it a little like a preseason game and wanted to see what they add?  Or will dobbins supplant Ingram as the main option like now?
I do think the Ravens treated last week a bit like a preseason game in their rotations. 

I think Dobbins is the most talented RB they have, but he has to be able to block and I couldn't get a feel for that last week.

Ingram's wily and a good soldier. He'll take his role without complaint, IMO. I think Baltimore is going to limit his exposure to keep him fresh for late season.

In other words, I have zero clue how this will play out. I expect both to have ample opportunities today, as I think the Ravens are going to run all over Houston. 

Going forward? :shrug:

The_Man said:
The Ravens haven’t lost a regular season game since September 29, 2019. During that streak, they’ve outscored opponents 434-188.

In other words, they’ve won 13 straight games by an average score of 33-14. Actually should have made that my score prediction, but I'll stick with the original.
This is just going to be my prediction for every game until proven different

I listened to the radio broadcast today and I swore they said that the Ravens have not trailed -at all- in 12 straight regular season games. 

We've talked before about how this run of genuine dominance started with Lamar's TD run in Seattle. They followed that game with a Bye, and then the Sunday Night game vs the Patriots. During the 11-game streak that began that night:

Ravens have outscored opponents 388-148 (an average 35-13 score)
Lamar has thrown 29 TDs and 1 INT while achieving a 133.8 passer rating (ARod set the all-time season record of 122.5 in 2011)

They have:
One 3-point win (SF)
One 7-point win (Buffalo)
Five wins of 15-30 points
Four wins of 32+ points

Loss of Tavon Young is really going to hurt in the short-term. It limits their creativity and aggressiveness with the DBs that had been an emerging strength of their scheme. But they can still figure it out if they don't have any more injuries. Humphrey and Peters are playing at an otherworldly level right now.

O Line needs to get right on pass protection. Was very happy to see them bludgeon Houston to death with the run in the second half yesterday. If teams are going to go light and drop 8 in coverage, that's how the Ravens have to respond. Would actually like to see them come out that way vs KC - the last time, I think Roman got caught in thinking it had to be an aerial circus to match Mahomes (see also what happened after falling behind early in last year's playoffs). The Ravens Offense can be physical in a way that few other teams match and I would love to see them play that way vs KC and maybe make them crack in the late going.

Going to be a long week until Monday Night!

We've talked before about how this run of genuine dominance started with Lamar's TD run in Seattle. They followed that game with a Bye, and then the Sunday Night game vs the Patriots. During the 11-game streak that began that night:

Ravens have outscored opponents 388-148 (an average 35-13 score)
Lamar has thrown 29 TDs and 1 INT while achieving a 133.8 passer rating (ARod set the all-time season record of 122.5 in 2011)

They have:
One 3-point win (SF)
One 7-point win (Buffalo)
Five wins of 15-30 points
Four wins of 32+ points

Loss of Tavon Young is really going to hurt in the short-term. It limits their creativity and aggressiveness with the DBs that had been an emerging strength of their scheme. But they can still figure it out if they don't have any more injuries. Humphrey and Peters are playing at an otherworldly level right now.

O Line needs to get right on pass protection. Was very happy to see them bludgeon Houston to death with the run in the second half yesterday. If teams are going to go light and drop 8 in coverage, that's how the Ravens have to respond. Would actually like to see them come out that way vs KC - the last time, I think Roman got caught in thinking it had to be an aerial circus to match Mahomes (see also what happened after falling behind early in last year's playoffs). The Ravens Offense can be physical in a way that few other teams match and I would love to see them play that way vs KC and maybe make them crack in the late going.

Going to be a long week until Monday Night!
I feel bad for Tayvon. I mean, I know he's gotten paid...... but you know he wants to be a part of this.

The middle of the OL better get their #### together. I know Houston has good pass rushers, but they can't allow the penetration they did yesterday. That shot Lamar took while standing straight up in the pocket had me holding my breath until he got up.

Remember the KC game two seasons ago? Baltimore came out trying to run the ball down the Chiefs' throats and keep the ball away from Mahomes. It damned near worked and I think it will work this year. Plus, Jackson's a much better passer and can kill a softened-up defense if need be.

Couple of facts from Twitter to help pass the interminable wait until Monday Night

Ravens Defense since acquiring Marcus Peters in Week 7 last year (for a 5th round pick and a back-up ILB)
13.7 PPG (1st)
276.5 YPG (1st)
1.3 points/drive (1st)
18% takeaways/drive (1st)
72.7 Pass rtg (1st)

The Ravens have won 14 straight regular season games and the Chiefs have won 8 straight, the two longest active win streaks in the NFL. The last time two teams met on 8+ game win streaks was 1969, when the Rams (11) hosted the Vikings (10).

I CANNOT believe it's another 8 hours until kickoff

In the grand scheme of the world today, it's minor stuff but I'm still disappointed Baltimore's people don't get to turn things up for the game tonight. It would have been pandemonium in that stadium. 

On the bright side, maybe COVID will keep Ray Lewis off the sidelines. Lamar is so humble, last thing he needs is the influence of Ray's narcissism 

Couple of facts from Twitter to help pass the interminable wait until Monday Night

Ravens Defense since acquiring Marcus Peters in Week 7 last year (for a 5th round pick and a back-up ILB)
13.7 PPG (1st)
276.5 YPG (1st)
1.3 points/drive (1st)
18% takeaways/drive (1st)
72.7 Pass rtg (1st)

The Ravens have won 14 straight regular season games and the Chiefs have won 8 straight, the two longest active win streaks in the NFL. The last time two teams met on 8+ game win streaks was 1969, when the Rams (11) hosted the Vikings (10).
Another fun fact

Mahomes (26-7) and Jackson (21-3) have a combined win percentage of .825, the best entering a matchup for two QBs who’ve started at least 20 games, per Elias.

I CANNOT believe it's another 8 hours until kickoff

In the grand scheme of the world today, it's minor stuff but I'm still disappointed Baltimore's people don't get to turn things up for the game tonight. It would have been pandemonium in that stadium. 

On the bright side, maybe COVID will keep Ray Lewis off the sidelines. Lamar is so humble, last thing he needs is the influence of Ray's narcissism 
Can you imagine how drunk Ravens fans would be at gametime? Especially with a gorgeous weather day to party it up outside.

Ravens gained 60 yards on 6 carries in their first 7 plays. They then dropped back to pass on 9 of the next 10 plays (1 run was called back on an awful tripping call). Trailed 20-10 before their next run call (only that close due to ST/Duvernay)

In all, they called pass on 17 of the next 20 plays after the opening 6 runs

Ended the night averaging over 7 ypc on 21 rushes 

Roman choked again. It’s officially an issue now 

Maybe the QB is the problem. Should have had Brown 3 times for TDs if he was accurate. I think we are starting to see the beginning of the end. He can beat some bad teams but play from behind? Forget it.
No that's probably not it. I get that people like to get their shots in when Lamar looks bad, it doesn't happen all that much. The Ravens swept the NFCW last year and beat an 8-0 Patriots team. Lets get rid of this "only beat bad teams narrative.

Maybe the QB is the problem. Should have had Brown 3 times for TDs if he was accurate. I think we are starting to see the beginning of the end. He can beat some bad teams but play from behind? Forget it.
L-Jack`s passing looked bad again in a big game.  Unless he improves as a pocket passer it will be tough for the Ravens to win the big games with him.

The AFC Title still runs through Kansas City.   

Patrick Mahomes just plays the QB position at a level that we might not have seen before.   He's Dan Marino with mobility.   

Anybody else watch the KC/NE game and realize this is Martindale’s last year as DC?
Martindale is good. But it did bring home to me yet again how inexplicably both the Ravens' coordinators continue to crap the bed vs. KC. They're in the coaches' heads bad, much than the players.

Also, NE showed zone is the way to limit Mahomes and the Ravens are really pretty bad at zone D. Queen is still covering grass out there when he drops into zone, not the man who comes into his area. Peters got smoked for a long TD vs KC when he abandoned his zone responsibility to take a gamble on an INT. The Ravens are at their best in man-to-man with simulated blitzes flustering the QB and getting decent pressure. That was a recipe for disaster vs KC, especially when the pressure didn't materialize. It's just a bad match-up for Baltimore.

Finding it funny how quickly we've gotten spoiled - I heard a lot of complaints over a routine 14-point win over Washington. Ravens have won 10 of their last 14 games by 14+ points. Under Flacco, they won a grand total of 10 games by 14+ points from Dec. 8, 2014 through his benching for Lamar - almost 4 full seasons. 

This team isn't what it's going to become yet and it will be fun to watch them try to improve. Games vs Cincy and Philly, followed by a Bye leading into Pittsburgh should help them keep figuring stuff out. But KC still looms like the Boss Monster they'll have to beat sometime

I'm almost always wrong on predictions, but I think today's game is going to be fairly close. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Cincy with the ball and a chance to tie/lead in the 4th quarter. I'm going Baltimore 27, Bengals 17.

I haven't seen much of the Bengals this year, but I like what little I've seen of Burrows. Crazy that he & Lamar are one month apart in age.

Welp, DeCosta found another pass rusher. A lot of Ravens fans wanted Ngakoue when he came out of college. If he works out, I have to imagine they sign him long-term and that Judon will be gone.

I'm mystified by the Dez Bryant thing, but I guess the cost is low enough that Baltimore thinks it's worth the trouble.

The coaches better be working on the game plan for next week. If they Ravens don't play any better than they have so far, the Stillers are going to beat the crap out of them.

Got a bad feeling today - Steelers strengths match up well w Ravens’ weaknesses (struggling O Line and banged up DBs). Hoping Ngouke can help generate same pass rush with 4 and maybe even 3-man rushes to enable more help with WRs but Ben gets rid of it so fast, might not happen. 

Lamar also needs to find targets other than Andrews and Hollywood. I really like Duvernay

Got a feeling it’s something like 27-17 Steelers and Ravens play from behind all day. Need a +2 in turnovers to stay close. Only upside is that Harbs is like 10-2 after Bye weeks and this organization’s commitment to analytics means they usually use that week off to intensely self-scout and come back with new emphasis on what really works. It wasn’t until after the Bye last year that they became the super team

Gotta say 19-3 over the past 1.5 years has been pretty fun 

I'm going 23-15, Steelers - though a bigger Pittsburgh win wouldn't shock me. 

Baltimore has to hit Ben. Tennessee had him shook in the 2nd half last week and he turned it over. If Ben plays clean, I don't see anyway the Ravens can beat them. 

Users who are viewing this thread