Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoneWolfofWI

Where to take J.J. Watt?

I'm in a 12-team, total points league with IDPs (DL, DB and LB) drafting 2 each but starting one every week. Its a very point heavy league where outstanding performers can really make your team. Point system for IDP is:

Sack: 6 points

Tackle: 2 points

Assist: 1 point

Pass Defensed: 1 point

INt: 6 points

So this brings he to JJ Watt. He was an absolute monster last year and no one was even a close 2nd from the DL position. If I use the Value Based Draft tool on Footballguys.com plugging in my leagues complete scoring system it has JJ Watt at the 28th OVERALL ranked player in the draft. Now there is no way I'd pick him in the first couple rounds but where should I seriously consider pulling the trigger? As early as the 3-4th round? Seems silly but the point differential he puts up is to hard to ignore. Any thoughts??

My opinion is that someone is going to take him higher than you want to. With that said, if you're in Round 4 and he's still available don't be afraid to pull the trigger. However if he gets past you wait keep going offense or Kuechley as others panic to grab Wake ect.

That's sort of what I was thinking. I'm in the 11th spot in the draft so I have picks 35 & 38 in the 3rd and 4th then don't go again until 59. No way Watt makes it until pick 59 but there is a very good chance I could get him @ 35 or 38 because despite the high point differential there is good portion of owners in this league that just don't have the guts to draft "outside the box". Of course these are the same guys that don't ever win or place in the league and they wonder why.

In my recent IDP draft, 14 team league, he was taken in the 4th round as the second IDP off the board (behind Kuechly). I believe JJ Watt should've gone before him...but regardless, they were both drafte right after each other in the 4th round

That's sort of what I was thinking. I'm in the 11th spot in the draft so I have picks 35 & 38 in the 3rd and 4th then don't go again until 59. No way Watt makes it until pick 59 but there is a very good chance I could get him @ 35 or 38 because despite the high point differential there is good portion of owners in this league that just don't have the guts to draft "outside the box". Of course these are the same guys that don't ever win or place in the league and they wonder why.

Let's us know what happened. I'm interested to see where he fell.

Watt is a change of pace draft pick. He shouldn't be a top 5 in my opinion in a tackle heavy league he is the best a dl but he is also streaky. I go for consistent scorers like kuechly and laurenitis. There are 4 lbs I'd rather have and 2 dbs I'd take but if you notice defense goin early and you can't get a good lb or db take watt and change the draft strategy on them so you force lineman to get taken. I have him and was in a 12 team idp 10 guys who did it before I got watt in round 5

How on earth is J.J. Watt streaky or erratic? He had a 1/2 sack or more in 14 of 18 games, including playoffs, he played last season. He had 6 multi sack games in the regular season. He also had double the amount of passes defensed as any other player in the league had. Not to mention he forced a fumble in FF playoff push from Weeks 13-16. If that's streaky or erract I'd hate to see him if he ever gets his act together.

Week 7,10 and 14 his highest output was 9pts yes he did have a 40pt game and 7 weeks that were 20+PTs he I great but lineman are streaky it's common sense idp for 13yrs I know a streaky position when everybody thought clay Matthews was a god send a couple years ago. I believe in a sack swat an big play heavy league he is a stud tackle heavy league wait on him. I own JFK watt and I'm glad I have him but I don't expect the same year if you do then I wish you were in my league you'd be owned.

Week 7,10 and 14 his highest output was 9pts yes he did have a 40pt game and 7 weeks that were 20+PTs he I great but lineman are streaky it's common sense idp for 13yrs I know a streaky position when everybody thought clay Matthews was a god send a couple years ago. I believe in a sack swat an big play heavy league he is a stud tackle heavy league wait on him. I own JFK watt and I'm glad I have him but I don't expect the same year if you do then I wish you were in my league you'd be owned.

Even if he only does 75% of what he did last year, he'd still be the #1 overall DL.

I believe he's the safest bet to finish #1 at his position in a standard scoring league - meaning he's got a better shot at being the #1 DL than Brees or Rodgers has at being the #1 QB, or Calvin has at being the #1 WR, or Peterson has at being the #1 RB, or Gronk or Graham.....you get the idea.

Lol I put JFK watt damn autocorrect I meant jj good post matty I agree he is the best dl in the draft. Just where at certain does he go in my league he averaged 18.8 a game which is 8th in all defense but if I can get offense out of him at te goalline then he is the number 1 over all defensive guy taken for sure. Please just no injuries lol