What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Markus Wheaton - Underrated? (1 Viewer)

I was lucky enough to pick this guy up after reading the FBG article on him.

Curious, who is starting him tonight? I personally am going to wait another week to see if he can maintain some consistency in a 1.0 PPR league, and maybe sprinkle in a TD. He scored a solid 15.7 last week, making him a WR3 @ WR28. If he does as good or better, he's gonna be cracking a ton of lineups in Week 3.

For reference I'm benching him for Brandin Cooks in my flex (who Bloom, Tremblay, and Dodds all have ranked LOWER than Wheaton, although CBS has Cooks higher).

Hoping he can keep it going....good luck tonight Sharks.

I was debating starting him over pierre garcon in a 0.5 PPR league, but thought otherwise. I'm looking to trade either Jordy Nelson or B Marshall for an RB1 or RB2 to start featuring Wheaton every week, he is primed to bust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting, as I did last week. I think people forget there was plenty of excitement for him as a rookie until he injured his fingers. All systems go this season.

I'm keeping him bottled up, starting Colston and Fred Jackson over him (flex spot). Kind of expecting a run-heavy gameplan tonight from both teams. Very excited to see how he does these next few weeks, though.

I was lucky enough to pick this guy up after reading the FBG article on him.

Curious, who is starting him tonight? I personally am going to wait another week to see if he can maintain some consistency in a 1.0 PPR league, and maybe sprinkle in a TD. He scored a solid 15.7 last week, making him a WR3 @ WR28. If he does as good or better, he's gonna be cracking a ton of lineups in Week 3.

For reference I'm benching him for Brandin Cooks in my flex (who Bloom, Tremblay, and Dodds all have ranked LOWER than Wheaton, although CBS has Cooks higher).

Hoping he can keep it going....good luck tonight Sharks.
I am starting him tonight. It's a good matchup.

I'm trying to decipher whether he is a better ppr play or if he is going to score a lot of TDs in his career. Is he more of a kendall wright type of guy? Don't know much about him but I have him on my bench rt now and contemplating putting him in my flex over mathews (sea), ingram (cle), K. wright (dal), and Quick (TB). Non- PPR so it's TD dependent scoring. Although, his 97 yards would have given me 9.7 pts which certainly isn't bad from the flex even in non ppr.

I'm trying to decipher whether he is a better ppr play or if he is going to score a lot of TDs in his career. Is he more of a kendall wright type of guy? Don't know much about him but I have him on my bench rt now and contemplating putting him in my flex over mathews (sea), ingram (cle), K. wright (dal), and Quick (TB). Non- PPR so it's TD dependent scoring. Although, his 97 yards would have given me 9.7 pts which certainly isn't bad from the flex even in non ppr.
I think he is more PPR than TD type guy but I am not sure yet myself.

10 points in PPR 1st half. No complaints here. Gonna be a nice Flex/WR3 if he can keep this up!

After two weeks he certainly looks worthy of WR3/FLEX especially in any sort of PPR. Positive outlook in dynasty as well.

Well I might have jinxed the 2nd half, but still left impressed.

The only thing I didn't like is Ben locked in on Antonio Brown during no huddle (in this case garbage) time. Wheaton did get a target on that final drive at least. Oh, and red zone looks might be limited?

I started him in a ppr over Cruz. A little disappointed with the end result after his first half, but he still scored more than double what Cruz did last week :)

7 targets last week, 8 tonight, plus the two end-arounds. Not bad at all.

Only saw some of the game. - Did anyone see Ben throw deep to Wheaton tonight? How about last week?
There was one deep shot but Ben threw it out of bounds to call it a target would be a stretch. Alot of his receptions were screens and short routes tonight.

He caught a 40yd pass last week, that would have been a TD if Ben had led him down the field rather than out of bounds.

I think last night basically demonstrated his floor, and I'm fine with 11pts in a PPR league from my WR4.

At the 1/2 I was really patting myself on the back starting him over R.Mathews at my flex position. Unfortunately he only earned 1 more point the 2nd half but it wasn't his fault - Big Ben really was focused on Miller & Brown. I like Wheaton going forward this year & think he will be a solid #3 WR.

Thought he looked good. He had a decent amount of targets and a nice run that was called back that would of help his points. Ben looked a bit off, but Balt D was tough. Looking ahead I'm a bit worried about Pitts schedule. Looks tough. But I think Wheaton can be as good if not better than Sanders.

He was dropped in my 12 team ppr redraft league after week 3 win over Carolina. I picked him up with a $0 bid this week. With Steeler offense looking better, he can pop off at flex and offer borderline wr2 #'s.

I was thinking "start him if you got him" this week because the Steelers are playing the Jaguars, who have given up the most points in the league so far. However, as of yesterday he was added to the injury report - limited in practice (groin). He had a decent first half last week, then disappeared in the second half. So the injury may have happened during the game, however this is the first time I've seen it reported.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/10/steelers-injury-report-t-marcus-gilbert-wr-markus-wheaton-limited-wednesday/

I was thinking "start him if you got him" this week because the Steelers are playing the Jaguars, who have given up the most points in the league so far. However, as of yesterday he was added to the injury report - limited in practice (groin). He had a decent first half last week, then disappeared in the second half. So the injury may have happened during the game, however this is the first time I've seen it reported.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/10/steelers-injury-report-t-marcus-gilbert-wr-markus-wheaton-limited-wednesday/
Roethlisberger missed him at least twice in the game against TB, which happens to any WR, but the opportunities are there. Wheaton has looked good.

I was thinking "start him if you got him" this week because the Steelers are playing the Jaguars, who have given up the most points in the league so far.
Second take: the Jaguars D gave up a trillion points in the first four weeks, but the Steelers offense rolls into town in week 5 and makes them look like a solid squad. And Wheaton is maybe the 3rd or 4th option on said offense.

Droppable in redraft if someone on the wire looks good.

PIT historically plays down to their opponent's level. Quite frustrating as I thought Ben would be a good start.

As for Wheaton, I don't know if he is 2A or 2B in the pecking order. I like his ball skills, but I don't know if he will be a RZ threat. So without consistent volume or RZ, he is a risky WR3-4 play for redraft. Still bullish in dynasty and would try to buy low.

Dropped him for James Jones prior to yesterday's game:

Last 4 games in a PPR league

Wheaton - 26.5 points

Jones - 66.8 points

I am not the least bit excited about Jones but Wheaton has reached the "bad enough to drop" level.

Hoping his suckage opens the door for Bryant. Moore is garbage and no threat. He dropped numerous passes Sunday. Justin Brown is good but I can't see him as the #2.

Rotoworld:

Markus Wheaton was held without a catch on two targets in the Steelers' Week 7 win over the Texans.

The missed connections between Wheaton and Ben Roethlisberger have been a topic of conversation the past couple weeks, and the two did nothing to squash it Monday. Wheaton simply may not be very good. Rookie WR Martavis Bryant made his NFL debut against Houston and caught a 35-yard touchdown on five targets. Bryant may be poised to pass Wheaton on the depth chart. The diminutive speed threat can't be trusted as anything more than a WR5.

Oct 21 - 12:42 AM

Maybe he can turn it around and get on the same page with Ben, but for now it looks like Bryant is the better option. There's no reason to hang on to Wheaton in redraft at all right now.

So disappointing. I was hopeful for big things from Wheaton, much like some of you probably were. I was lucky to trade him for Isaiah Crowell (spare part for spare part) on Saturday before last night's game.

jojoh07 said:
droppable in re drafts????? Dynasty
Fixed.

If you can't make headway in a golden opportunity, what are you going to do when Bryant and anyone else makes it even murkier? A big part of the NFL is the next man up seizing the moment and he didn't.

Hoping his suckage opens the door for Bryant. Moore is garbage and no threat. He dropped numerous passes Sunday. Justin Brown is good but I can't see him as the #2.
Bryant kicks down the door. :thumbup: Now he just needs to catch the ball cleanly and he solidifies the #2 gig and the deep threat gig.

Wheaton is best as a #3 WR.

I liked him as a future #2 WR in the NFL coming out of college, but he's basically lost the job with lackluster play from what I've seen from him this year. The Steelers really lack a legit #2 option in their passing offense. I don't believe Bryant is the answer either.

I liked him as a future #2 WR in the NFL coming out of college, but he's basically lost the job with lackluster play from what I've seen from him this year. The Steelers really lack a legit #2 option in their passing offense. I don't believe Bryant is the answer either.
Bryant's played all over 1 game and he's not the answer?

Rotoworld:

Markus Wheaton played on a season-low 31-of-67 snaps (46.2 percent) in Monday's win over the Texans.

Wheaton's downright poor play has gotten him demoted after opening the season as the every-down "X." The Steelers finally gave rookie Martavis Bryant (24 snaps) a shot and he responded with 2-40-1 on five targets. Wheaton, who was not targeted at all, can be dropped in most formats.

Related: Martavis Bryant

Source: profootballfocus.com
Oct 21 - 12:07 PM

Didn't have enough big games in college. Suspect hands, route running. In tougher matchups in college he usually disappeared. Just flat out didn't impress me. I'll be surprised if he turns out to be anything more than a depth WR who's basically a one trick pony(deep threat).

Didn't have enough big games in college. Suspect hands, route running. In tougher matchups in college he usually disappeared. Just flat out didn't impress me. I'll be surprised if he turns out to be anything more than a depth WR who's basically a one trick pony(deep threat).
He's raw, but I don't see the disappearing thing in big games. He wasn't targeted a lot because of who was on the other side. That's not disappearing. It's just Clemson having a better option who happened to be the best WR in the draft.

He's raw, but I don't see the disappearing thing in big games. He wasn't targeted a lot because of who was on the other side. That's not disappearing. It's just Clemson having a better option who happened to be the best WR in the draft.
Clemson grad here...

You're right, Martavis was never the #1 option. He was #2 to Sammy last year and #3 behind Sammy and Hopkins.

He's raw and had drop issues early on, but really came on late. He was phenomenal in the Orange Bowl and played really well through conference play last year. He was awful against UGA to start, but after that game he was really solid and improved throughout the year.

Users who are viewing this thread