What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The war in Syria (1 Viewer)

Just one caveat- this might be a trial balloon. 

I would not be shocked if Trump tells us in the next few days that he never meant to withdraw ALL troops and never immediately and this is all fake news etc. 

Last edited by a moderator:

I would not be shocked if Trump tells us in the next few days that he never meant to withdraw ALL troops and never immediately and this is all fake news etc. 
Trump inner monologue (not a verbatim transcript): "What could I say today that would change the narrative from impeachment?  Perhaps there are allies in the world I could betray...that would certainly change the narrative!  I'll suggest betraying them, get everyone all riled up and distracted, then we can engage on that topic, I'll say the media misrepresented my plans, attack them for getting it wrong, and we'll be sufficiently distracted for a few days."

The thing about trial balloons is they become an actual thing if people don’t shoot them down.

That’s the GOP’s excuse. However the White House put out an actual official statement on this. 

On a personal note - I am not a prolific twitterer, maybe 50ish tweets/retweets in the last 10 years - but my response to Graham's tweet on this has gotten over 100 likes - which is about 90 more than the collective total of all my previous tweets....

So, I have that going for me.

I'm a bit late, but I'd bet every dollar Trump lost that he did this to try and deflect from his other crimes and abuses, and now he just abandoned a pretty major ally in the region. Can we step up the impeachment/removal process now?

I'm a bit late, but I'd bet every dollar Trump lost that he did this to try and deflect from his other crimes and abuses, and now he just abandoned a pretty major ally in the region. Can we step up the impeachment/removal process now?
I get why people say this - because its what Trump does.

But, at the same time - THIS IS WHAT TRUMP DOES.

Is there an ally in the world that Trump has not abandoned, in some fashion?

This man is wholly unfit for the office - it has nothing to do with Politics.  He is the proverbial (literal?) bull in the china shop.  Even this move - I get wanting to withdraw US troops from the region - but you do it responsibly.  You work with your own military.  You work with your allies.  You protect those, who have protected you.  You don't get an itch up your ###, and just start moving military pieces around.

I get why people say this - because its what Trump does.

But, at the same time - THIS IS WHAT TRUMP DOES.

Is there an ally in the world that Trump has not abandoned, in some fashion?

This man is wholly unfit for the office - it has nothing to do with Politics.  He is the proverbial (literal?) bull in the china shop.  Even this move - I get wanting to withdraw US troops from the region - but you do it responsibly.  You work with your own military.  You work with your allies.  You protect those, who have protected you.  You don't get an itch up your ###, and just start moving military pieces around.
Side note: Mythbusters disproved the bull in a china shop bit. Trump is the whale in the swimming pool.

Somebody l

Yep.  I suggested he could be labeled a war criminal for taking children from their parents and throwing them all in cages. This puts it over the top.  We haven't heard much about those people lately with everything going on.  The fact that Trump suggested we shoot them in the legs makes me believe some horrible things. 

Somebody l

Yep.  I suggested he could be labeled a war criminal for taking children from their parents and throwing them all in cages. This puts it over the top.  We haven't heard much about those people lately with everything going on.  The fact that Trump suggested we shoot them in the legs makes me believe some horrible things. 
I somehow forgot about him doing that, now I'm even madder at his rampant idiocy. Get this guy out of office!

Trump knows more than the generals so his supporters are more than fine with him going by his gut.  who needs cooperation, planning and preparations with the Deep State and our allies?

Trump knows more than the generals so his supporters are more than fine with him going by his gut.  who needs cooperation, planning and preparations with the Deep State and our allies?
Thats a fair point.  I had forgotten about his great and unmatched wisdom.

I stand corrected.

It's been a moving target for me, but while I've wavered between anti-nationalism, anti-corruption, anti-authoritarianism (and pro everything that defends against it), I think I'm moving back towards anti-stupid as maybe the most important factor here. I mean, GAH! these people running the administration are stupid.

This buffoon on the verge of getting a lot of people killed.  We all know on both sides of aisle that Trump knows nothing about what is going on there.  Shameful.

Trump never backs down.  He doubles down.  Even if he has to double down in a way that changes course, he is still doubling down and coming across as decisive and leaderly.
He sometimes does by claiming that he really didn't mean what he said or it was fake news made up by the enemy of people media.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
It's been a moving target for me, but while I've wavered between anti-nationalism, anti-corruption, anti-authoritarianism (and pro everything that defends against it), I think I'm moving back towards anti-stupid as maybe the most important factor here. I mean, GAH! these people running the administration are stupid.

This obviously is the least important part of his tweets, but it drives me crazy how many commas and exclamation points he uses. 

TripItUp said:
Can we update the thread title ?
Plz change to “Trump’s decision to abandon our Kurdish allies and turn Syria over to Russia, Iran, and Turkey will put every radical Islamist on steroids. Shot in the arm to the bad guys. Devastating for the good guys“

TIA!

When Pat Robertson thinks you messed up.  But it will be fine Trump can do something like restricting some freedoms to gays and Pat will say he has "regained the mandate of Heaven" 

Turkey has already reportedly begun bombing a critical Kurdish passage on the Syria/Iraq border.

This is beyond shameful. Why would anyone trust the US as an ally right now?

For those of you who don't follow what's happened here:  We promised the SDF Kurds (a long-standing US ally who helped fight ISIS and pushed for a moderate Syrian govt) that we would protect them from Turkish aggression if they drew back their military personnel. Once the SDF Kurds were essentially defenseless, Trump single-handedly and without warning gave Erdogan the go-ahead to attack them. It may be the most cowardly and disgusting Presidential foreign policy decision of my lifetime.

All of these Republicans who are helplessly complaining about this (helplessly because they can do nothing to stop it)- hey this is what you guys signed on to. You didn't object when he got rid of Kelly, Mattis, McMaster, even Bolton,- all of the responsible people around him. Now the "experts" he's got are basically yes men who agree with whatever he says.

This is what gets you upset?
Not really upset, just pointing out the misleading language.

Im wealthy, live in San Diego, have a beautiful girlfriend and don’t have to work to hard.  It’s pretty tough for me to get upset these days.  

Not really upset, just pointing out the misleading language.

Im wealthy, live in San Diego, have a beautiful girlfriend and don’t have to work to hard.  It’s pretty tough for me to get upset these days.  
Ao you came in here to complain about the thread title rather than to discuss what is happening?

Sorry...while my life  may be going well...I know several people who were Kurdish refugees...who still have family there.

Im able yo be upset about such things even around the world...things far bigger than a freakin thread title.

Users who are viewing this thread